caught in the maze
Years ago

what to do when 2 green shirts reffing ?

can someone tell me what happens when 2 green shirts are left in charge of a game and the head ref is 1) mucking around with other teenagers 2) in the office / desk / canteen ?

ok so you can't say a word to green shirts... so what does one do when the game is being totally mismanaged ? and it blundering on.....

Topic #34067 | Report this topic

coaches cant say anything to green shirts - so it is ok for rule interpretations and game management to just avalanche into a joke and free for all.

and i am not talking mistakes - i am talking no idea - what ever happened to the head ref shadowing ?

Reply #465253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how about just coach?

Focus on your own task and stop worrying about the referees.

Reply #465255 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

Perhaps contact Mike Gibson at Basketball SA Head Office and advise him of what occurred and express your concern.

Getting on here and complaining certainly wont help

Reply #465262 | Report this post

basketball19932  
Years ago

What i normal do is get your team manger to go to head desk and asks where the court supervior is or get them to grab the court supervior and explain. or just like other people said contact mike through your club

Reply #465265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike Gibson will provide no help whatsoever. He is a referee and will only side with a referee and has no concept about the actual game of basketball

Reply #465269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree, just coach your team. I'm assuming this isn't the nba or Olympic Games we are talking about?

Reply #465293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

293, how exactly is that relevant?

Reply #465299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is it relevant for a coach to decide if a game is being reffed properly and how is it the coaches job to change that?

Just coach and deal/adjust to whatever umpiring you get.

Reply #465300 | Report this post

Fm  
Years ago

Ask where the umpiring charge is because there are aome spectators ripping into them on every call.
Works everytime

Reply #465306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Until BSA understand that they are a service provider that is failing and that the clubs can do the job better themselves nothing will change.

Reply #465307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clubs are as bad as BSA! Too many people with no idea running basketball

Reply #465310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bite your tongue!

Reply #465314 | Report this post

Harry Hopeless  
Years ago

The Clubs are BSA.

Reply #465320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well because reffing does matter, it not just about being fair, and wining. When it turns into a free for all thats when people get hurt and can be badly, how do you adjust to that.. IMO 2 green shirts should be over seen for their sakes, and the safety of players, unless thats just irrelevant to!!!! ???

Reply #465321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course reffing matters but you're there to coach not to referee. Just do what you're meant to do.

Reply #465331 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Coaches are supposed to be providing a service too. To the club, to the association to the game. Refs don't go out and expect to be able to complain about the quality of the players or the coaches or their decision making. Part of the reason is they don't understand the complexities as many coaches don't understand the rules or the development of referees. Just coach as per your agreement to the club and association.

Reply #465333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remove your team from the competition and put them in a competition which doesn't do this.

Reply #465335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shut up and enjoy the game. Its not NBL you know.

Reply #465336 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cry and do nothing. And certainly don't do something like raise it civilly with BSA or politely remind the more senior ref to support their understudies.

Reply #465348 | Report this post

OP has asked a valid question, but I'd hope they already knew the correct procedure.

Head ref is best bet.

2green shirts means there's an issue with scheduling , or there's a shortage of experienced refs, but neither of these reasons can excuse the head ref from not observing the greenies if he's not umpiring another game.

BSA is a service provider and while it is a large organisation, it must monitor its customer service staff to ensure customer satisfaction.

Two green shirts and no head ref monitoring isn't likely to be a winner. If the head ref is watching the game, he/she can easily address concerns, or dismiss them as he/she was there... Isn't that a part of their job?

Reply #465361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem arises when the head ref doesn't do their job either because no one is holding them accountable.

If you read the OP you would see that all too often the head ref sits in a room and jokes around with the other refs who aren't working.

And if you bring this up with BSA they don't even bother responding.

Reply #465382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

336,,331,300, etc.. No its not NBA, you are right,, and obviously you have never ended up in the emergency room getting neck and spinal X-rays for your kids either, I have from a game I believe was left to get rough!!! or you to would have a different outlook on how games should NOT become out of control, and that reffing can control this happening, if done competently and properly...to late when something happens. (yes I know injuries can happen regardless, but when kids are left to get away with stuff, they will do it for a win)
Green Shirts probably need more guidance, its not their faults that they are not getting it, in this case it would seem. When that is happening, maybe coaches can sit back and just coach.

Reply #465560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what responsibility do coaches accept for such dangerous tactics?

All good to blame the referees but a coach must be allowing their players to play that style.

I don't see anyone asking who's watching the coaches to make sure they're doing their jobs properly.

Reply #465580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes because all coaches in ANY sport will say pull yourselves back on that behaviour, even if the refs arent picking you up, but please ref yourselves SAID NO COACH EVER.. As a kid playing in a different sport to this, we were taught if they are letting you get away with it, do it.. if not, change the way you play... And what if you are the coach doing the right thing, but the other one isnt, whats the answer then ? We all play teams that play at all costs unless pulled back.. or am I the only one that has seen this ?

Reply #465598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some real muppets replying for those of you who say deal with it, don't cry etc your either probably coaching 1 or 2's where there's no drama with this, or b, a ref or Mike Gibson.

SICK OF SEEING KIDS GETTING FRUSTRATED BY POOR REFFING??

Reality is there should never be 2 green shirts on a game - NOT for the coaches or the sideline vocal parents sake but DARE I SAY it the sake of the poor kids that DESERVE much more respect than they get.

Yes rarely does an umpire get help and feedback directly off the court.
Yes it's poor scheduling.
Yes there is a lack of umpires.
Yes there probably isn't a head ref at the stadium or b, they to busy hitin dat or on some social media site on there phone.
Yes the court super is either a, not a ref or b, a head ref who couldn't give a shiet.

YES BSA doesn't want to pay qualified Refs to go out to games and Ref coach the juniors and
YES gone are the days of Refs shadowing - you might see it occasionally at miniball.

@580 your a muppet, who moderates the coaches? the umpires, ref's, court supers, parents, kids and finally the club - coaches who are abusively usually end up towelled up by all and sundry.

I am all for and have no problem with officials slapping T's on a coach with poor behaviour straight up - Beats them saying stuff you and screwing the poor kids over with dodgy calls.

/Rant

Reply #465606 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:04 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754