cat
Years ago

no scoring in U-10's?

should basketball follow football's lead and ban all score-keeping for U-10 age group?

Topic #34089 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO!!!!

Reply #465957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe in domestic. If its an u8 development competition.

Reply #465959 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

Absolutely not. This bubble wrapping kids from the big nasty world garbage needs to stop. When I was playing as a kid and lost to a team, it gave me extra motivation to beat them next time and fueled my desire to improve.

Perhaps there needs to be more focus by coaches and parents on more than just the score. Sure, losing sucks when you're playing but it's even worse when mum & dad or the coach feel like they're playing for sheep stations at a young age.

In a nutshell, keep the score so the kids have a tangible goal. Parents & coaches, stop looking a the scoreboard for kids in U10's & below. Worry about their enjoyment and development

Reply #465996 | Report this post

no way  
Years ago

the kids know what the score is.

sport is about and winning and losing gracefully.

If you do not want a winner, do not play a game, just practice

Reply #465998 | Report this post

hanging around  
Years ago

Losing usually makes you appreciate winning so much more.
Leave things alone please

Reply #466003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL suggestion to follow netball with under is only from what I've seen. Doesn't apply to either sport above under 8

Reply #466010 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

This 'soft entry sport' thing is little more than a power move by the AFL

Reply #466042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its no wonder Kids cant COPE with real life as the enter yr 12 etc later, with what they think is extreme pressure, we are cotton wooling them to the point if its not all feel good they might almost die.
There is no such thing as failing in school(until yr 12 that is), or sport anymore.. we all have strengths and weaknesses. The younger they learn things arent just handed to them because they breathe the better type of people they may become in life.
Some parents are breeding self important and entitled kids that may not be great functioning adults at this rate.
Winning is great, and of course has a good feeling attached to it. Losing not so much good feeling, but its also how you learn you want to be a winner, and respect what it takes to become one, and do both gracefully.
Of course Mr and Mrs Cottonwool will not agree with me.

Reply #466050 | Report this post

illuminati  
Years ago

AFL is trying to foster an entry level "participation" here.

after all it is a competition they are running !

sooner the kids learn to live with it the better.

maybe it was not the "competition" side of things but how the adults were running / delivering it.

i would liken this to "aussie hoops" level of entry - and no score is kept

Reply #466063 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

One night a week I help our club by training under 12, under 11 and rookie age players all the way down to about 7 or 8 years of age.

This week we have several of our teams in grand finals, which is common for our club in the domestic league we play in.

While our rookie teams often play in non scoring competitions, with lowered rings and the emphasis here is on learning the game and fun, when they get to the under 11 age group it is more of a competative game situation for many of them.

Each Association tends to run its own rules under their by-laws to suit the standard of their competitions. This is slightly different to football.

For example, you may have under 11 teams that are quite good and can play in a Division 1, with scoring and it suits the kids just fine, others at this age are still learning to catch and dribble, so they might be structured differently with the referee acting as a coach on court etc...

At training and as a club we always place focus on sportsmanship, so although everyone likes to win, the emphasis is on learning the game and having fun, especially at this age group, in juniors this is how we retain players.

Often, after training I would speak to the kids about what it means to be part of our club and how they are expected to behave on the court and towards each other as players. Parents too are encouraged to embrace the club and understand that they are part of it, not just an outsider paying a club membership fee.

I don't think basketball needs to follow football as a blanket rule of no scoring, we just need to place some trust in our Associations and parents need to stay on the right path, stay focused on why their kids are playing in the first place.

This issue of scoring or not scoring is almost certainly an issue of poor parent behaviour in the football circles, let's not follow like sheep on this, let's try to lead for once and keep basketball above this issue with sportsmanship as the key...

Reply #466090 | Report this post

no way  
Years ago

everything in life is a competition that has winners and losers.

At school kids work hard to "win" at exams so they can have the choice of careers. At job applications, they try to "win" the interview to get the job they want. In love, they are trying to win the desired person. In nature, the winners survive, and the losers perish.

Sport is no different, part of the enjoyment is winning, that is why you see more smiles on the winning team than the losing team. In life you must learn to win, but also learn that you cannot win every time. A good place to start is in junior sport where the correct values on both winning and losing should be learned.

Reply #466115 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Does anyone actually believe U10s actually learn life lessons about winning/losing from the presence of a scoreboard?

U10s struggle to remember the following day whether they won or not, because they were probably (hopefully) engrossed in learning a sport and basic movement skills which are still foreign to them.

Make no mistake about it: the scoreboard is for the parents. Scoring has about as much impact on the development of these kids as their parents barking instructions from the sideline all game, every game.

It would be a controversial change, but one that I think could be beneficial.

Reply #466125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just don't be surprised to see Hubbard and Co. here in Adelaide apply a knee-jerk reaction to football's decision and follow suit.

we follow every Victorian decision that's made and claim it as an original idea, can see the same being applied in this case as well

Reply #466126 | Report this post

Years ago

we already have this "no score" or "no table" with aussie hoops participation.

that is the level that AFL are looking at as well.

don't confuse it with u10 comp

Reply #466137 | Report this post

Years ago

if anything was to change - I would rather see it come from a controlling government sporting body rather than just AFL or the kids will be confused - as when they play one sport there will be scores and other sport no scores.

also my experience with u10 footy is a lot more feral than u10 basketball - when my son played u`0/`` footy - there were feral parents at certain clubs drinking UDLs at 9am games on a sunday bringing a certain culture - I am yet to witness anything like this at basketball - so wrong to compare.

Reply #466141 | Report this post

no way  
Years ago

could i suggest that the people who do not want scoring have never won anything in their sporting careers. It is natural to want to win.

Reply #466145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is natural to want to win, I think most people are concerned at how people behave when they are losing, so what you can end up with is something called poor generational behaviour, research it!

Reply #466151 | Report this post

no way  
Years ago

not scoring games will not solve the problem of "bad parents"

Reply #466155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 137...hate to disagree..but it's actually the U-10 comp that the AFL
ARE looking at to change

Reply #466178 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:48 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754