Isaac
Years ago

Rumour: NBL camp during NBA summer league

From @traread (http://believethehypenba.com/) on Twitter:

Sources say that the NBL will host a camp during NBA Summer League in Vegas to allow NBL coaches to get a good look at potential imports.
It is understood that 2 players per NBL team & each NBL coach will be attending the camp.
Earlier:
traread: The NBL/NBA announcement is about a "major off-season project abroad"... My guess is that an NBL Select team may go to Summer League.

Topic #34113 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

That sounds great but it's the same problem.

The best cut from Summer League will still chase the big dollars in Europe

Reply #466725 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Some more info here http://andthefoul.net/archives/8211

Reply #466727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is great by the NBL.

Well done.

Also, not every player wants to go straight to Europe. Some like what Australia has to offer with language, weather, etc. And if NBL clubs form more of a partnership with the nba teams (or loan type Ennis deals) then they become a very attractive option for D - League / 2nd round draft pick type players.

Also, not every high level d league player can get a job in a euroleague type team.

Mid level euro teams can be pretty sucky compared to the stability and culture an nbl team can offer.

Reply #466729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Higher quality imports are great for us diehards but do they really put more bums on seats? Sam Young is definately no evidence of that

Reply #466732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Young sucked though.

Easy to remember there was a fair bit of pressure on Perth at the start of the year.

New coach
Big arena to fill
DeLish had moved on
looked like other teams had improved

It could be argued that Ennis was one of their most important successful recruits in the history of the club.

Reply #466741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could be pretty good for the aussie nbl players to play against the summer league teams

Who would you send?

Gliddon , stiendl , Norton, blanchfield, garlepp, madgen, jervis, wagstaff, cadee, creek,
Walker, Goulding, Martin , coenraad, te rangi , webster

Play 8 for one summer league then the other 8 for the next one

Reply #466751 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Awesome, I love this! Highly doubt Goulding will be in the NBL next year.

Reply #466760 | Report this post

send over DP players?
sorts out who has got the goods and who has got the duds
no point sending career NBL players to get a wooping or risk a chance of injury?
Ennis is not on loan from Miami , his signing rights for the league are the only thing that links him to the Heat . oh and that free cap he got draft night.
if he got one at all?
IMO the camp would be good for the NBL
just like the AFL combine they will have this year in the US

Reply #466765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guys I'd send would be the following:

36ers: Mitch Creek, Jason Cadee
Breakers: Corey Webster, Reuben Te Rangi
Crocs: Todd Blanchfield, Stefan Markovic
Hawks: Rhys Martin, Oscar Forman
Kings: Cody Ellis, Ben Magden
Taipans: Cameron Gliddon, Mitch Young
Tigers: Nate Tomlinson, Lucas Walker
Wildcats: Matt Knight, Tom Jervis

I didn't include guys like Goulding and Abercrombie because I figured that they'll be able to find an actual NBA summer league team to work out with by themselves, and would prefer it over playing with some NBL guys.

I mainly filled the team with young guys but also threw in some older guys like Markovic for leadership and experience purposes.

I also didn't use import due to the fact most of them won't be in the league next season and the NBL would want an accurate representation of Aussie basketball.

I'd make the depth chart to be something like the following:

PG: Markovic - Tomlinson - Martin - Cadee
SG: Madgen - Gliddon - Webster
SF: Blanchfield - Creek- Te Rangi
PF: Walker - Ellis - Forman
C: Knight - Young - Jervis

Reply #466830 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Definately a step in the right direction but it also might see some these guys picking up European contracts which would be good and bad for the league.

Reply #466870 | Report this post

The Rock  
Years ago

why would it be bad? these guys will go to europe with a big stamp of the ANBL on their resumes . exposure for the league
like abercrombie going to france , french news agents will say hes from NZ , played for the Tall Blacks , world championships in turkey , summer league phoenix suns , current NZ Breaker in the NBL 3time champion 1 time finals mvp

Reply #466879 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:49 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754