Isaac
Years ago

NBL Summer League announced

The Australian NBL Summer League is an opportunity for players to showcase their talents and skills before head coaches and general managers from Australia's top professional league. Las Vegas, and the site of the event, UNLV, is the centerpiece to the NBA and professional basketball's summer free agency signing period. The NBL Summer League will be located at the UNLV (UNLV Student Recreation Centre) from July 13-16.
http://nblsummerleague.com/

Good on them. For one thing, the page detailing the NBL opportunities available is something I've thought would be a great idea for ages. I'd go further and talk about related opportunities/entry paths like supporting-leagues.

Topic #34131 | Report this topic

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Looks good, would also like to see the best of the this league to form a team to play in the NBA summer league at some stage too. Even more exposure...

Reply #466914 | Report this post

BallSoHard  
Years ago

Anything that helps bring more talent to the NBL and continues to build the brand is a good thing by me!

Seeing an All-NBL select going toe-to-toe with some Summer League teams would be great too.

Reply #466916 | Report this post

The Rock  
Years ago

big gain for the NBL
assuming the players who play in this summer league will be americans?

Reply #466918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea id assume it would be mostly americans and a good opportunity for clubs to trial perspective imports and even aussies, a young aussie like Tom Daly should try and get on someones roster aswell to trial for a spot.

Are we sticking with 2 imports or is the 3 import thing which was mentioned in the media as something they were thinking about going ahead, personally id love to see 3 imports, even if it waits a year for the new teams to come in, with 4 new teams i reckon there is room for 3 imports with no aussie spots being lost across the league

Reply #466923 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I don't see a downside here, and I see plenty of upside!

Reply #466926 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you read the site, you'll see that basically the NBL coaches each take two Australian NBL players over there. They then "draft" eight imports to play with them in some form of tournament.

Presumably while the coaches review the imports, Americans and potentially European scouts get a chance to see a few Australian players (Goulding, DJ, etc). Plus, probably good for the prospective imports to build some rapport with NBL players and see their style/level.

Bizarrely, CJ Bruton is going over with the Breakers?

Adelaide's reps are DJ and Petrie.

Reply #466929 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

It is bizarre that NZ send C.J. But perhaps no one else wished to go? Or is available?
Sounds great, and good to see things have been progressing in the back rooms of the NBL.

Reply #466931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is the summer league clashing with the NZ NBL or say a Tall blacks camp?

That may be why they are sending CJ and Corletto, i also thought it was bizarre they are sending those 2, especially CJ, id thought Webster and Abercrombie would be good to send.

Reply #466933 | Report this post

BallSoHard  
Years ago

It might be a strange pick, but their aren't many other people with a better grasp on what it takes to make it in the NBL than CJ.

Could prove to be a savvy move by New Zealand.

A playing scout of sorts.

Reply #466943 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Good initiative and ambition from the NBL. However with such an open process this presumably reduces the competitive recruiting advantage any particular club might otherwise have.

Also, while it's good to attract imports like Ennis, hopefully players who see the NBL as a one-and-done style audition for the NBA don't become the sole intake of imports into the NBL. It's also good for the league to have imports who stick around and build reputations in Australia like Copeland and D-Mack, as well as current guys like Redhage and Ervin.

Reply #466973 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Greg Hire and Matt Knight will be the attendees for Perth.

Not sure why we're looking to put even more load on Knight's body.

Reply #466977 | Report this post

that website is already 10 times easier to explore and navigate then the NBL website

thank god .

Reply #466989 | Report this post

$101.50 to register folks

is that AUD ? or USD?

might have to crowdfund me a fake registration under Shaquille O'Neal

Reply #466997 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I'd say that these players would be subject to change... It's a long way off, Damo is technically not signed for next season (although will most likely re-up :( ) and he'd be the other logical choice, but also have to think about who they'd be targeting for an import and who they would want to test out playing them along side...

Teams looking for import bigs are mostly sending their backcourt players, teams looking for guards are sending bigs, Kings need both, so sending Madge and Tommy (although they're really the only choices based on current players signed).

I think it's a great initiative, not sure what will come of it, though...

Is it being run alongside the actual summer league games, or before/after? As really you'd want to be able to get a chance at the upper level talent that would obviously be playing in the NBA teams, so you wouldn't want a choice to have to be made between the two as there's an obvious loser...

Doing all this for sloppy seconds, or even sloppy thirds, would defeat the purpose, surely?

Reply #467001 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

that website is already 10 times easier to explore and navigate then the NBL website

yeah, because it looks like a high school kid built it... just looks so ugly, really not the professional first foot forward you need to be showcasing the talent with...

Reply #467004 | Report this post

sometimes the best things in life arent beautiful like say lebrons hairline

ease of use is why this site is popular

facebook is popular in the same way easy to use and navigate

Reply #467011 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Great initiative by the NBL. If this event can become a fixture alongside the NBA Summer League every year, it should be a great device for identifying high quality imports AND raising the US profile of the NBL's star players.

Reply #467040 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Surely the players nominated would be subject to change as many are out of contract after this season. One would assume these players couldn't attend until contracted to an NBL team.

At face value I can't imagine teams would bring guys like Knight and Bruton.

Reply #467098 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

What about players such as Goulding or Abercrombie who will most likely already be attending summer league will this run on a separate date?

Reply #467107 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Bahahaha, love the reference.

But the site is not good, the Menu is the worst part about it. And it's not like Facebook, FB people visit several times every day, this is a website which requires something a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

Reply #467111 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Well, LeBron's hairline has already made it, the NBL however, needs to promote itself in the best way possible, and the very first and easiest step that gives the best punch in their online presence, is an attractive website... It doesn't have to be complicated, it just needs to look nice and work. Flicking through it earlier today, the fonts are ugly, the content repeats itself, it's inconsistent across a small number of pages, the background shots of both Ennis and Young are good, but they're cut out on black backgrounds, so the edges show and unless you've got a super wide resolution, most of them are cut off...

All very simple simple rules of graphic design have been ignored and it just comes off as amateurish...

Reply #467181 | Report this post

bolto  
Years ago

"Greg Hire and Matt Knight will be the attendees for Perth.

Not sure why we're looking to put even more load on Knight's body."

Totally agree Nathan. Matty Knight is a great bloke and surely should be looking to preserve his head from taking any more knocks whenever possible. I worry for the guy long-term.

Reply #467196 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Could prove to be a savvy move by New Zealand.

A playing scout of sorts.
He played his last game for NZ and is looking for a new team so I don't know how keen he'd be to serve them. Maybe none of the other senior players wanted it or could fit it in, or they gifted him a holiday?

Reply #467199 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Just noticed crocs sending blanchfield and norton. Blanchfield listed at 6''6 might be a bit on the short side, but norton is listed at a laughable 6'3. Madgen also listed at 6'6 has to be a bit optimistic, pacific shrink in reverse.

Reply #467407 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Won't let me log onto site. Says log-in required. This happened for anyone else?

Reply #470716 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Won't let me log onto site. Says log-in required. This happened for anyone else?

It's still happening... even if they're upgrading or changing things, they shouldn't have this happening, they should have a single page up... I certainly hope they're upgrading it, it was a dogs breakfast before...

Reply #470799 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:10 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754