Anonymous
Years ago

Excellent story on Perth's crowds and supporters

Time to step it up Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide.

This needs to be the ultimate goal.

Have a good, long talk to Nick Marvin and learn how it was achieved.

Excellent story here:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~wildermuth/140402_Today_Tonight.mp4

Topic #34134 | Report this topic

curtley  
Years ago

I don't watch today tonight because I believe it perpetuates stereotypes about minority groups and grossly exaggerates non-newsworthy issues but i'll make an exception this time.

Reply #466952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed ^

Awesome story this time though

Reply #466953 | Report this post

Crowstopper  
Years ago

Could that bald guy lead the 19th man for the Crows.

Reply #466959 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Agreed Curtley but this was more of a report by the 7 sports team on the fans and club culture rather than the usual TT sh*t. Definitely worth a watch.

Reply #466960 | Report this post

36Boggers  
Years ago

Yeah, every team needs to look hard at what their business model is and how they go about it. Going from 4000 to 10,000 fans, certainly is something that all other clubs can manage.

Reply #466976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New inniatives, hard work, dollars poured into Marketing, most hours injected into Community visits, engaging with the fans etc, is the reason why PERTH are so successful off the court

Reply #466983 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

Yep good model and should make other teams envious.

Well lets look at ourselves a little here:

- We have a core of about 4000 people who actually care enough (as shown by the numbers who turned up to G3 of the semi final series) to get along to games.

- Apparently we have another 4000 people who'd rock up if they were not seemingly forced to be involved in childrens friday night basketball and other club commitments on weeknights.

So thats 8000 right away..

- I am sure now given Gouldings efforts, we can attract at least 2000 people across from supporting Soccer (even though by this time the stadium is well-full)

That's 10k!? We can do it!

;-) (yes my tongue is firmly in my cheek!)

I think Perth and Adelaide have the best supporter bases in the country and its going to be an awesome final series!!

Reply #466988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The question should be, what will happen when the bubble bursts? 28 straight finals series, expectations of winning. Look what happened to Bevo! NZ takes home 3 titles in a row and Perth can never repeat their 2010 title and Bevo shown the door.

The Wildcats are spending the money, in all areas of business. Good on them for having the capital to do so in the first place.

But to say that the entire roster of 10 is under the $1,000,000 salary cap is a flat out lie.

James Ennis is reportedly on over $240,000 this season, you can't tell me that beal will be any less than $180,000. Than are we to believe damian martin, shawn redhage, jesse wagstaff & matt knight are all making less than $120,000 a year? just those six players alone will bring there salary cap to 900,000. So burdon, jervis, hire and U'U are splitting the $100k between them? Joke.

Or is it all of these "jobs" the aussie players have on the side, while being a professional basketballer full time pay them the extra $, so the salary cap looks like $1,000,000? Think about it. How do they have the time to do all these community hours, train, play, travel and still work part time. They probably show up for an hour, have lunch and collect a large pay cheque. Maybe do some personal development over the off-season, but subsidised really well for it. all part of their deal. Nick Marvin is a smart egg. Shame the NBL and other clubs fall for it.

If I was adelaide fans i'd go on twitter right now and suggest to James Ennis he is only making $100,000 a year and that for all his tantrums and the rest of it, his attitude will never make it in the NBA. Being as dumb as he has been lately, no doubt he will probably tell everyone on twitter how much he makes to show that he is "better" than everyone.

Reply #467041 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Oh look, an anon is throwing around salary cap accusations.

Oh well.

Reply #467047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When Sydney won 3 titles in a row, it did nothing to enhance their crowd numbers.

It shows the difference between the two business models

Reply #467050 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Much more to crowds than simply winning.

Which we've tried to tell the Perth Glory people but they just won't listen and their hare-brained schemes leave us with neither crowds nor winning.

Reply #467061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. Winning helps but it is by far the answer to sustainability

Reply #467091 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Not a bad story actually. I assumed they hand picked the best looking Cats Fans for the TV, or at least they showed the fans who still had their teeth and no facial tattoos.

Good expose on Simon Devlin, #1 Cats fan and Cigar purveyor. When the Sixers win the GF, would it be too rude to buy the celebratory cigars from him?

Reply #467177 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

He is a man of business, I'm sure if you came to him with an offer he'd even throw in free cigar insertion.

Reply #467208 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Yeah, I liked that, good story

Reply #467215 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon, I highly doubt Ennis is on $240K....I doubt any player in the league would even be close to that figure.

Where has Ennis's salary reportedly been stated?

Reply #467277 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:59 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754