Benno
Years ago

Goulding to US for NBA tryouts

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/melbourne-tigers-star-chris-goulding-to-fly-to-us-for-nba-tryouts/story-fni2u9cl-1226872925288

Interesting, i wonder which teams?

Topic #34141 | Report this topic

Spinner  
Years ago

Ya never know.........he might flop straight into a contract!

Reply #467163 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Detroit....bad boys

Reply #467191 | Report this post

lakers lol

Reply #467198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kidding himself

Reply #467200 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I've moved on from the semi final and wish him the best of luck. Hopefully a couple of ten day contracts get thrown his way and he gets some exposure outside of the NBL.

Good for Chris and it may also enhance the NBL's reputation internationally, even if just a little bit.

Reply #467204 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

ballsy decision...

Reply #467207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah Cat that was chuckletastic

Reply #467209 | Report this post

just another stamp for his passport

Reply #467218 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

A lot of haters and tall poppy syndrome. The series is over, we absolutely humiliated the tigers and kept him to 6 points.. (a season low?) .. He did his childish little flop... Alright its done now... If you think he isn't the most potent Australian guard to play in the league at very least since Brad Newley then you are kidding yourself.

How many people here would get a look in to the absolute lowest semi pro SEABL or QBL team?.. Probably no one. Yeah.. so lets all hate on Goulding... as he is getting interest in the biggest and best league in the entire planet. If he makes it or not is beside the point... just by doing that much he has trumped your whole basketball career and the kid has barely even got going yet!

So yes, I was pissed off at him on Sunday... but that doesn't mean hes not a ridiculously talented Aussie prospect, worthy of an NBA look and a Boomers jersey..

As for his NBA chances... who thought Delly was going to do so well?

Tall poppy syndrome. It is a very malignant paradigm in this country, usually exhibited by those unable to achieve anything close to the achievements of the object of their disdain

Reply #467221 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

All the best Bubbles, your a champ and I'd lovd to see you succeed and it would make that Boomers jersey you deserve all the more difficult to take from you

Reply #467225 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Agree with GWB. You've hit the nail on the head.

Goulding is an Australian, playing in Australia. Posters on this forum always say "We need our best players playing locally", yet when we get a stud talent like Goulding no one is grateful for it/no one can appreciate it.

What Goulding did was wrong. I am disappointed with what he did - because certainly this season, I started to see a distinct change in his maturity and professionalism. Unfortunate that what happened in the finals undid all that.

But wake up people, you literally have a guy similar to Kirk Penney playing in Australia. (Not as skilled as Penney, but much more athletic)

It is one of the fundamental things I notice about Australian sport supporters – you take your hate for a player at the provincial level way too far. I’ve had Australian Rugby League fans love watching guys like Billy Slater mess up at the Int’l level because he is a Queenslander. Really?

At the end of the day, you have an Australian player working hard and representing his country on the biggest basketball stage.

The fact that you give so much hate to a guy after your team just destroyed his team by 39 points makes you guys appear to be the tallest of tall poppys.

Reply #467229 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Wishing Bubbles all the best.
Didn't he go there last year as well?
I'm sure he was in the States playing at some trials.

Reply #467230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with GWB and Macdub. Well Said. Good luck Goulding!

Yes he tried out summer camp with the Cavs last year.

Reply #467233 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

They said "teams" and not just "a team" this time.. so looks like the interest in his is fairly decent... I wouldn't at all discount him making a roster... there are worse players in the NBA then Chris Goulding.

Reply #467237 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Flopper or not, the guy is a little Anzac like all of us. When he leaves these shores you know he will need every member of this board to unite behind him and have his back. All the best Digger, make us proud. May the three Aussie ghosts be with you.

Reply #467239 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

MACDUB, could you throw in one more generalization about Australia and/or Australians? I've got a hankering this morning!

Reply #467243 | Report this post

proudaussie  
Years ago

He could kill a child and it wouldn't matter because he is Australian and that's all that matters. All the haters need to understand this and stop being so un-Australian.

Reply #467247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't understand the attitude here, if he was a soccer player, off to Europe, we would all wish him the best and understand how tough it will be to establish his game there.

Is this any different?

Good luck to him, hope he can get a gig!

Reply #467249 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yeah i hope he can latch on in some way. Anytime we can add to the amount of Aus talent in the NBA its a good thing. He has the shooters mentality so that helps, he just need to knock them down when he gets a chance.

Reply #467251 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

There's two sides to the coin... I think Chris has done well to pull his head in this season and lifted above being all Gary Erviny, so he deserves a bit of slack given to him, but just because he's Australian doesn't mean that we have to get all "patriotic" and reverse tall poppy syndrome and just give him free passes for being a dick... I think it's very Australian that no matter who you are, if you're a dick, you get called out for being a dick...

I wish him the best and will be glad if another Aussie can succeed over in the US especially, but that still doesn't negate some of his tool'ish behaviour...

Reply #467279 | Report this post

BallSoHard  
Years ago

Now that we have cleansed the NBL playoffs of the Tigers I feel like I can support Goulding's NBA dream.

The way I see it, any exposure Australia and the NBL can garner to help its resurgence in the mainstream is a good thing by me.

Best of luck to him.

Reply #467290 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I wish Goulding all the best. Tall poppy syndrome occurs way too often so even if he makes an NBA roster no doubt some knobs will lay on the hate just as Delly and Patty have their haters.
Hope he also makes boomers team.

Reply #467294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this for real or just wishful thinking? only around ten days left of the regular season so how will he get a ten day contract, half the teams are out of playoffs so don't care who they suit up

Reply #467552 | Report this post

The Rock  
Years ago

if Penney couldnt crack The NBA
lets see "Bubbles" try and get a D League gig?
at least? if hes soooooooooo good?
dude had a good year of shooting that is all

Reply #467576 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

hahaha @therock Shooting wins games...

Reply #467665 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

A good year at shooting? Yeah... that doesn;'t mean a whole lot in the game of Basketball where the aim is to score more points then the other team

Reply #467668 | Report this post

Scopes44  
Years ago

bennie Lewis had a gig in the D-league. So goulding potentially doing that for a year isn't as far fetched as some uneducated folk may think.
Connor Henry coaches the Mad Ants, ex wildcats and Sydney asst. Coach.
I'm unsure why people put the NBA so out of reach for Aussies Yes there are some physical specimens and freaky athletes at the top tier of the league. But it is a matter of timing, performing at the right time and place and a bit of luck.
Goulding impressed Mosely and Handy who played in NBL with some success and did enough to get a summer league roster.
He has flare, can shoot and reasonably athletic, so there could be a spot for him. But is unlikely any more than a 15th man.
I honestly think Ingles, Bairstow who are better prospects.
But good luck to Bubbles. (Such a unfortunate nickname)

Reply #467681 | Report this post

Vert4life  
Years ago

No doubt if Goulding did get signed all these haters will be following his every move in the NBA.
I still think he is a bit of a douche but good luck to him.
If people dont think Ennis will make the NBA I seriously doubt goulding will. you think hes gonna be allowed to take 30+ shots in the NBA? thats the only reason he is scoring here.

Reply #468472 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:33 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754