Anonymous
Years ago

One and Done NBL Imports

I was wondering if the days of the long term NBL imports are gone and that most of the current imports are similar to the NCAA system of being 1 and done. I assume most people would think James Ennis and Sam Young will be the same as Johnny Flynn and won't be staying around for next season and had me thinking which of the current imports will hang around.

In the NBL peak days you had long term imports like Leroy Loggins, Lanard Copeland, James Crawford, Darryl McDonald, Ricky Grace, Mark Davis, Bruce Bolden, Robert Rose, Melvin Thomas, Scott Fisher, Derek Rucker, Darnell Mee, Al Green, Dave Simmons and Calvin Bruton who played multiple seasons in the NBL and year on year marketing the game could be on those players. Now that since most teams change imports each season there is no continuity to get a following for junior kids (who I still see wearing Rod Grizzard, Ebi Ere, Ron Dorsey and Ubaka Melb Tigers singlets around).

At the current crop of talent, Adam Ballinger, Shawn Redhage and David Gruber are really the only long term imports who have all naturalised. Other than that only 3 imports have played more than 1 season in Gary Wilkinson, Gary Ervin and Jamar Wilson and Wilkinson wasn't even signed on day 1 of the season.

I think the NBL Las Vegas summer league is a good idea, but I think they should also be encouraging the teams to retain the best talent they can from this season to build a following. James Ennis will be gone, but players like Rotnei Clarke and Jermaine Beal would be a good start. Kevin Tiggs and Josh Pace might also be worthy.

Let's not forget how much the import players of the 90's have helped build the game here either through coaching (Brian Goorjan, Al Westover, Brett Brown, etc) and through the next generation of Australia players like CJ Bruton, Dante Exum, Ben Simmons, Jonah Bolden, Xavier Cooks, Dane Pinaeu, Kenau Pinder, Tad Dufelmeier.

Topic #34144 | Report this topic

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

It's called the points cap and salary cap!

Reply #467270 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Evolution of the game across the globe. In that same time the NBA has had an influx of players from all over the world where as back then it was predominantly full of Americans.

Reply #467278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Globalisation and the internet means communication and information is widespread to hop around the globe to the highest bidder.

Also remember many more opportunities were created for imports in the 90s in Eastern European leagues once the Iron Curtain fell.

Reply #467550 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:34 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754