coach to be
Years ago

Do you have to play elite to coach elite?

Was discussing this the other and thought it was any interesting point, to be a coach at a higher level NBL/WNBL/CABL is it easier to be an explayer of that league?
Are you respected more?
Can you skip junior coaching and go straight into high level coaching with no experience?
Can someone who hasnt played at that level be a successful coach?
Does it take longer for someone to go through juniors to state to senior to elite senior coaching compared to a player jumping into the head coaches role?
If you are curious out of the current NBL coaches 7/8 are explayers (unless Dean Vickerman played)
Out of the current WNBL coaches 3 are explayers 3 arent and 3 im not sure about
Out of the current Women CABL coaches 4 are explayers 1 isnt and 4 im unsure of
Out of the current Men CABL coaches 10/10 are explayers
What are everyones thoughts?

Below is the list i created please correct me if i am wrong about any of them:
NBL
Adelaide - Joey Wright explayer
Melbourne – Chris Antsey explayer
Perth – Trevor Gleeson explayer
Wollongong – Gordon McLeod explayer
NZ – Dean VIckerman
Cairns – Aaron Fearne explayer
Sydney – Shane Heal explayer
Townsville – Shawn Dennis explayer

WNBL
Adelaide – Richard Dickle explayer
Melbourne – Guy Molloy
Bendigo – Bernie Harrower
West Coast – Kennedy Kereama
Townsville – Chris Lucas ??
Dandenong – Mark Wright ??
Canberra – Carrie Graf explayer
Logan – Jason Chainey ??
Sydney – Karen Dalton explayer

CABL
Sturt
– Jeremi Moule
– Brett Maher explayer
West
–Trudie Hopgood explayer
– Brendon Mann explayer
Woodville
– Christian Bell ??
– Al Green explayer
Norwood
– Simon Pritchard ??
– David Cooper explayer
Forestville
– Sharon Simons explayer
– Andy Simons explayer
Eastern
– Nathan Jones ??
– Will Smith explayer
Centrals
– Kevin Brooks explayer
– Scott Whitemore explayer
North
– Barry Mansfield ??
– Nathan Hawkes explayer
South
– Vikki Kelson explayer
– Matt Davies explayer
Southern
– Leigh Scott ??
– Rashard Tucker explayer

Topic #34164 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vickerman is an ex-player

Reply #467715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when did Gleeson play?

Reply #467719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ex-players do not always make better coaches at higher levels but they definitely find it easier to get those opportunities. There are coaches at ABL level and higher who wouldn't even get a look in if not for who they are.

Reply #467721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson didn't play...had the potential to but was in a bad accident at 18 which de-railed it.

Reply #467726 | Report this post

matt  
Years ago

rob beveridge never played and has carved out a pretty strong coaching career but its a lot easier to be a well known ex player eg Heal and Anstey

Reply #467731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Play hoops to the best level you can and go from there.

Reply #467735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being an ex player might open doors but doesn't mean you'll be a good coach. Different skill set. Look at Bevo and Gleeson, neither played and both great coaches.

Reply #467747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what is Bevo's basketball background in his younger days? how did he get into coaching

Reply #467760 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Interesting topic here, on one hand you would like to think that someone who has a good coaching skill set with the experience of playing at the elite level would have a great chance at sucess with an elite team.

On the other hand, we all know that this isn't always the case, and in the end a good coach is a good teacher, communicator and people manager.

There is a huge gap between coaching elite level to that of juniors, however the main difference is that elite coaches will at least expect that their players already have sound fundamentals.

All elite players need to keep their fundamental skills finely tuned, this wouldn't be the elite coaches job to drive, it would be self driven, so the focus for an elite coach is what changes.

IMHO it would be an advantage, however not a necessity!

Reply #467775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Christian Bell played a season at 36ers...

Reply #467780 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Don't have to play elite level.

But I feel you have to have a degree of sympathy to the situations players sometimes find themselves in.

Knowing how a player thinks and what is running through his head is a huge help.

You want a coach to be able to see the game from a player's perspective sometimes.

Being an ex-player can help with that.

But you can also develop that perspective through experience as a coach.

Reply #467784 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

Matt - I recall that when I lived in the ACT that Rob Beveridge was a fairly decent player in the local comp for a team I believe was named Ramblers. Played at local top level.
Guy Molloy another ACT player who played at the top level.
Mark Wright came from a family of top level players who all had colourful careers at the top level. To say Mark was an agressive player, along with his brothers, would be an understatement. I'm sure that Brian Kerle (along with a lot of spectators at the old Albert Park Stadium) has less than fond memories of the Wright family.

Reply #467790 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Bevo certainly played as a junior. I think perhaps at state level.

Reply #467792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Miami's heat coach is a perfect example! Never played at the top level (NBA) but is a great coach & is respected.

Reply #467793 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Think you have to have played to have a feel of in game coaching but you certainly don't have to be an elite player to be an elite coach. However it certainly wouldn't hurt to be an elite player

Reply #467794 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

I don't think it's necessary to have been an elite player to coach at an elite level but it is probably an advantage. I think the false assumption is that elite players will be able to coach at an elite level by virtue of their experience or skill as a player & there are many examples of this not being the case.

Reply #467802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frank Vogel
Gregg Popovich
Erik Spoelstra
Van Gundy #1
Van Gundy #2
Lawrence Frank

They haven't had noteworthy careers as players but they can all coach. Doesn't mean they haven't "played" just means they probably never played in the NBA.

Australia has a fixation with hiring former players as coaches in a whole number of sports.

There's 320+ NCAA Division 1 Colleges who need head coaches. They can't all have played at a high level. Doesn't mean they can't coach.

Reply #467822 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Beveridge and Molloy were reasonable social/grade players at best - would not have made any local SA CABL training squads at their peaks - however they both certainly worked themselves into the ground to be as good as their physical talent allowed them to be and were "coaches" players in that they listened to instructions and were total team players focused on the win and not themselves - the social grade equivalents to Shawn Dennis rather than Shane Heal - .

Reply #467828 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

"Australia has a fixation with hiring former players as coaches in a whole number of sports."

This^^

Too many of our high level coaches get in on name recognition not prowess imho, spend some time in the US and even though it still happens it's not as prevalent as it is here....

Reply #467844 | Report this post

2FAST4U  
Years ago

Yeah pretty much. You might not have to play NBL to coach but you should've at least made ABL.

Reply #467848 | Report this post

Years ago

I believe a lot of coaches come from a teaching background. I guess that makes sense in terms of the skill set. I think:
Bruce Palmer, Bill Palmer,Brendan Mann, Will Smith, Steve Breheny,Tom Maher,maybe Gordie McLeod,etc, etc.

...as well as having played at the level they are/were coaching at.

Reply #467850 | Report this post

just a thought  
Years ago

a lot of men are gynecologist's!!

Reply #467861 | Report this post

mick  
Years ago

In afl, the bulldogs coach is only head coach that didnt play pro. The other 17 were not only players but well known big names.

Reply #467895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally I think the best coaches are benchies - not superstars. If Larry Bird was a dud coach then it only proves it.

My thoughts are that the benchie sits with the coach and listens. They get coached more.

Reply #467955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its kind of like saying do u have to go to uni to be an engineer. Well most are but occassionally they didnt.

Reply #467960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't say larry was a bad coach.

Reply #467971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larry coached the Pacers to the NBA finals. He was good enough but I don't think he really wanted to coach. He's much better in the front office.

Reply #467978 | Report this post

coach to be  
Years ago

lets say a head coach position opened at a NBL club and there was two applicants
one was an explayer of the club played 10 years at the club starting 5 the whole time and multiple club MVP and even league MVP. Clubs captain for multiple years and fantastic player, retired a few years back
second was a state league coach has won multiple championships at that level and won coach of the year a couple of times. Has coached state and junior basketball with a very successful record but never played himself
Who do you think the nbl club should employ and who do you think the nbl club would employ

Reply #468577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It depends on the team, the club, strategy etc. etc.

Different skillsets and experience for different needs.

They'd take the former player first. I'd suggest the coach wouldn't get a look in though unless they'd been a head coach at international level first (IE junior National team) assistant NBL coach. Coaching ABL and junior state teams wouldn't be enough to get an NBL head coach gig, maybe enough to get an assistant gig though.

Reply #468580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and hence why so many ex players fail

Reply #468593 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:09 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754