careful whisper
Years ago

Role of a Div 1 Coach

i would be very interested to get the response of the forum as to what the role of a division 1 coach is.

are they just there to coach the div 1 team?

should they be more involved in the lower division teams ?

if so is it only down to div 3 level or should it be more that that ?

Topic #3419 | Report this topic

STIP  
Years ago

It would be different at every Club.

Reply #39311 | Report this post

careful whisper  
Years ago

i'd agree that it would be different from club to club, and i'm not asking anyone to say i'm from this club and this is what happens here.

all i'd like to see is a range of responses from players, coaches and club officials.

Reply #39312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At Sturt we have the Div 1 coach oversee all of the other divisions. Some div 1 coaches do this better than others.

Their responsibility is that if the JCD asks them about numbers and player movement then they should have an idea.

Each training group has a coach that plans and runs trainings.

Reply #39314 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Having been a player in teams ranging from Div 1 - Div 5 and a coach of several teams in a similar range i'd like to offer this to the discussion :

Div 1 coaching IMO is a dual-role responsibility. Yes they are primarily there to make the Div 1 team win/better, but i also think that they have responsibility to develop players in a squad environment that MAY range from div1,div2 & invited div3- players.

I think regular (twice yearly) internal trials are a good idea. They allow players from the lower divisions to be seen by coaches and compare attributes against better/lesser players.

My club had a similar policy to this and it allowed me as a junior to be promoted 3 divisions in one season (after returning from injury - not known by new coaches). I accept that "trials" do not suit all players.. but invitations to train with higher division teams i think is positive for player rankings/settling.
This "squad-like" environment i think is very effective in that it allows the Div 1 coach the ability to evaluate players he/she would not see on a regular basis against players in his/her own team - a measuring stick of sorts.

I would be interested to hear what others think of the "squad" concept and whether or not it is widely practicsed to include invitees from lower divisions ?

Reply #39316 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

This is a good point. What should the role of a div 1 coach be.

I think the role should incorporate, obviously div 1 and 2, but should also entail some roll in div 3 at every club. if not the head coach, then maybe another selected person to provide feed back to the Head Coach about potential player promotion or trials.

Some clubs use div 4/5 for their junior teams in u/18 or 20's as a training session. It gives the team some real time training and the opportunity to "experiment" with alternative line ups.

From my experience, Div 3 is usually the forgotten.

I have played at a couple of clubs and found that div 3 has no real structure where i have played. There has always been talk of incorporating div 3 with div 2 at club level, but it has never happened.

I currently play and find it frustrating each week to know that, even though we are competitive, we are always going to struggle. I don't like to be negative about a team where each player plays hard and well, but i'm sure they have the same frustrations week in week out.

As I said, i have experienced this at more than one club. Div 3 is a great comp to be playing, i'd rate it as good as div 2.

The successful teams in div 3, all seem to have a coach, have a balanced roster with guards, forwards and legitimate centers.

it is not a necessity for the head coach of 1's to be involved with div 3 but i think there needs to be some correlation between them

Can someone suggest to me how to get the club (nameless for now) to get involved with a team that has potential to be a challenging finals team but needs to be able to play people in their "more" legitimate positions. and not have guards playing center etc.

Reply #39324 | Report this post

For the development of players any Division one coach should only look after the 8 or 9 player in that side first and then instruct the other coaches how to develop the correct skills and philosophes needed. The Division once coach should act as a mentor to the div 2,3,4 and 5 coaches allowing them to pass on the knowledge to their player.

A Division one coach should act like a middle manager would; be a mentor and give advice and assurance but leave the tough decisions to the JDO or the junior committee who would have agreed to take on this responsibility.

Reply #39336 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

I might have missed it - but - are we talking Juniors or Seniors or both?

Reply #39337 | Report this post

careful whisper  
Years ago

I was looking for ideas at mainly a junior level, but by all means, lets not forget the big kids too

Reply #39347 | Report this post

careful whisper  
Years ago

the main reason i've posted this topic is because it was suggested to me that a div 1 coach could also possibly slot into the role of div 3 coach at the same time .

this to me sounds a reasonable suggestion, after all , at some clubs, the first years that make up this years div 3 players are going to make up the majority of next years div 1 team.

i know thats going to make alot of div 1 coaches cringe at the very thought , but is it not such a bad idea afterall......time permitting that is

Reply #39348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it is a great idea but you will find that most clubs would not be able to implement this as it is down to time factor and this is a major issue with just getting one coach to do one team.You may get a couple of coaches around adelaide to do it but they will probably have basketball burnout sooner rather than later.
Real life always interferes.

Reply #39349 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

Two training a week: 4 hours
1 game : 2 Hours
Travel time

State Champs
Classics
Eltham?
Easter?

What happens if you get an ABL player to coach?

Yes and work.

Lets look at the work the Div 1 Coach does before giving him more.

Reply #39365 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

I agree Doddobird. Also, SASI and State commitments if they do that.

I think that sometimes Clubs (and parents for that matter) forget that these coaches have lives and families of their own.

There is an awful lot of time (and expense) that these volunteers give up.

Reply #39374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The role of some div1 coach is limited in some clubs. The div1 coaches in this clubs usually promotes the same div1 teams from the u12s up to the u18s. By some clubs doing this they do not give themselves a chance of discovering new talent. This very clubs call for tryouts where they pretend they are going to maybe promote some players to play in the div1 comp.

To say the truth this is unfair to the players who play their hearts out to maybe be seen in the try outs. I believe that div 1 coaches should not promote their players just because they have always been in the div1 squad. I strongly believe the div1 coaches should choose the absolute best team possible. I also think that the div1 coaches should try develop the skills of players in the lower divisions.

Reply #39415 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:15 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754