Happy Days
Years ago

Rotnei Clarke Whats he worth now $$$???

Was wondering what salary bracket you would think he'd be asking for next season here $120-140K?

Topic #34197 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

MVP = $160-$180
6ers will chase him, cheap compared to Ervin.

Reply #468637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheap compared to Ervin anon....where did you get that info?

Reply #468639 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Hope Sixers do chase him in place of Ervin, but will Joey want someone not from NY?

Reply #468640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come on Ervin wasn't on that much stop making crap up!

Reply #468641 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Hawks will struggle to retain him if he stays in Aust imo. Might be a target for Sydney

Reply #468642 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I thought Schenscher was highest paid 36er?

Reply #468644 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Kerron Johnson would probably thrive at the Hawks under Gordie

Reply #468646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Possible marquee player?

Reply #468665 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

We"ll take him in NZ if Abercrombie goes.

Reply #468671 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

He's willing to take a (be it small) pay cut to stay in Wollongong.

His college coach is the head coach of the Boston Celtics and they stay in weekly contact so Brad Stevens knows what he's done in the NBL.

Interesting times ahead.

Reply #468682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd love to see him stay at the gong for another season - they should make a play for him to stay another season - the gong desperately need front court help to be competitive next season

Reply #468689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Common knowledge 6ers saved money for 3 years working way under the salary cap, then have gone over this year I would suggest.

An MVP comes at a price former or present!!

Reply #468692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers spent almost same last season.

Reply #468696 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Isn't the salary cap $1 million? For 10 players? And you think the best player in the league plays/will play for only a bit over the average?

Reply #468698 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

I rather Gibbo at point guard.

Reply #468701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Almost the same haha

Reply #468709 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Hope he stays with the team that gave him the start in the league.

If he played for Perth or any other team which would make constant double teams harder ...he could be unstoppable

Reply #468711 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

He deserves a pay rise if the hawks can't do that I reckon some other team will.

Reply #468712 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

It's not a matter of the Hawks wanting to give him a pay rise and keep him, it's them able to get the funds for it.

Reply #468719 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd love to see him playing for Perth (if we lose Ennis to NBA) and run a 3 guard rotation with Beal and Martin.

Of course I'm only dreaming but I just really hope he stays in the league as he is absolutely worth the price of admission and if he stays in Wollongong then that would make me happy. I love Tiggs and his attitude but they still need a monster on the boards and should have Foreman playing the 3 and invest in someone that will sacrifice their scoring to crash the boards like a Jacob Holmes (that would be ideal as he can switch with Oscar between the 3/4.

As for $ for Rotnei, give the living legend what he wants as he is THE man you build a team around

Reply #468741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What the Hawks need is a few teams spending over the cap, sending some luxury tax their way and then ... welcome back Rotnei!

Reply #468746 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Thought he was good in the first part of the season.

But he was an absolute stud in the second half of the season.

You can see that he adjusted to the style, pace, tempo and refereeing really well.

Scary to think what he can do next year, having had a full season in our league and under Gordie's system.

Only going to be more effective, efficient and devastating.

Reply #468757 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

As a Hawks fan I'd love to see him stay in Wollongong but as a NBL fan I'd just love to see him stay in Australia.

Reply #468759 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Nat, where do they sit with Tiggs for next season. Do they get the Australian content right first and then see what they need?

Reply #468767 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I actually really like Tiggs.

I think he is a perfect import for this league.

Good price and yet delivers beyond what he is being paid.

As teams have shown to go big dollars-wise on Australian talent, guys like Tiggs fill the import spots perfectly

Reply #468772 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There are so many good Americans, you can get a very good player relatively cheap if you get a good person who fits your style of game and complements his teammates.

That's why I don't think the marquee rule will really impact community clubs (assuming the points cap remains so big clubs can't hoard Aussie talent), you can get as good a player for $100K as a club who spends $400K.

Reply #468773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rotnei might not be every coaches cup of tea.

Not sure if you can run him as a full time pg, and you need to have a bigger point guard next to him if you are going to play him off the ball (the bigger pg can then guard the opp's shooting guard on defense).

Glidden as 1, with Clarke next to him might work with an import big.

He would also work next to Beal or Damo if the Kings wanted to recruit one of those + Clarke

They tend to love shooters in Europe and if the likes of Draper can make it to top tier of europe you'd think Clarke would have a decent chance of developing a career over there.

The other thing is leaving a system like Gordie's that you are comfortable in, that you can succeed in with a supportive community might not be the best thing. If he can get a decent pay rise in the Gong and not break the bank there it might be best to stay.

Reply #468774 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Taking into account his age and the fact that he is getting married another year in the NBL wouldn't do him any harm.You dont want to go Europe just for the sake of it as some imports are finding out. Need to go to big leagues that pay.Agents are pushing alot more players down here as they know we are good for the $$$ and offer a great lifstyle.

Reply #468780 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

100% Happy Days! So many imports (almost every import I've spoken to) say they know they'll get paid in Australia/NZ. Where as Europe and Asia you hear lots of horror stories.

I won't say who, but a few years ago a former NBL import played in Euro and got told (at gun point) by one of the teams owners if he didn't score X points and X assists or rebounds he won't get paid. If he does it two games in a row he'll get hurt.

Plus English speaking country goes a long way.

The Hawks sign their local talent first then see what their budget is for their imports. Tiggs didn't even think staying was an option a few weeks ago, he thought this was a one and done type of deal. So unlikely.

Reply #468789 | Report this post

Beimos  
Years ago

Not sure Nat gets his Hawks info. Same place where the info Tiggs was out for the season?

Reply #468797 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Another thing Nat we do is honour our contracts. In Europe most of the contracts aren't worth the paper there written on and disputes end with FIBA for mediation. Even if they do get a ruling in there favour from FIBA you could be waiting along time to receive your money. This year Adam Prossin and Chris Warren bought touring teams out and i know Adam is keen to do it again next year.

Reply #468865 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I obviously just make it up Beimos.

Reply #468925 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Also Hawks are on the hunt for a new GM so I think the signings may be a bit delayed this season.

Reply #468926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #468932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, Draper plays at the highest level in Europe, but he's a 3rd string point guard on his team. So I'm not sure if that's a great example to use.

Reply #469470 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It is a pretty good example, he's won a Eurocup MVP, played very well in domestic leagues and performed well in the Eurobasket for Croatia. Now he's been picked up by one of the absolute best teams in Europe to play a specific role.

Reply #469472 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Just being signed by a team like Real Madrid is a hell of an achievement, anyone who is at that club is a hell of a player.

Reply #469519 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:57 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754