Isaac
Years ago

Bogut out, may miss playoffs due to fractured ribs

Warriors center Andrew Bogut (ribs) out final two regular-season games and TBD for playoffs, a source said. Bogut is wearing a sling.
Source

Topic #34261 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damn. Tough break Warriors. That is really going to hurt them.

Reply #470363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prob not great news for the boomers either....

Reply #470364 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Bad news for Bogut and the Warriors getting through the West conference is hard enough.

Reply #470367 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Anon, I would say it could be a blessing for the Boomers. If Bogut doesn't play again for the Warriors this season, he'll be rested and fresh for a World Cup campaign.

Reply #470373 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ESPN:

Golden State Warriors center Andrew Bogut has a fractured rib that could keep him out for the start of the playoffs.

Warriors coach Mark Jackson said Monday night that an X-ray revealed the fractured rib. Jackson said Bogut is out "indefinitely" and there is no timetable for his return.

Reply #470380 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

—-ANDREW BOGUT pregame gaggle/

-Q: What was your first reaction when you found out about the fractured rib?

-BOGUT: It was frustrating. But it's out of my control. I think it started against Denver when I first did it, to be honest. Felt similar symptoms and then played that game and the Lakers game, felt it again, and then got hit perfectly in that spot again and it fractured.

So nothing I can really do-and I got called for the foul on top of that. Made the play even better.

-Q: You think it was cracked and then just got worse?

-BOGUT: It’s hard to speculate right now but there was definitely an issue with the area the last two games. So it definitely wasn’t as bad as when I fully cracked it, but maybe it was inflamed or bruised and weak and then that last hit I got from whoever it was put it over the top.

-Q: Is it hard to breathe?

-BOGUT: That’s it. I can’t take deep breaths or yawn right now.

-Q: Ever had this before?

-BOGUT: Never broke a rib, no. Pretty hard to move around and do anything really right now. Even driving in the car is a little tough.

See what happens.

-Q: Mark Jackson said indefinite and they’re giving no timetable. What in your mind is a possible?

-BOGUT: Indefinite. That’s all I’m giving you guys.

-Q: Can you work out at all?

-BOGUT: I can’t move right now. Can’t move my arm and any vibrations, coughing, sneezing hurts. I guess if I get on a treadmill or get on an elliptical it’s going to hurt.

Obviously I’ve got to be careful that I don’t do too much because if it cracks, I’m looking at a punctured lung. So I don’t want to sit in a hospital with a tube coming out of me.

-Q: Right side?

-BOGUT: Yeah. It’s one of those things that people have played through, but this is too close for comfort for me. The fifth rib is right near the lung and I’ve done enough research and spoke to my doctors to know that you have to treat this very, very different than most injuries, like a leg injury or an arm injury.

Just make sure that my lung doesn’t get punctured, because if it does it’s going to be trouble.

-Q: This team has been looking forward to the playoffs all season. What goes through your mind when you know you might not play in them this year?

-BOGUT: Well, it’s frustrating. But like I said, these things happen.

You know, I’ve got to dedicate a summer to learning how to play with avoiding contact at all costs, I guess. [Laughs.] Moving out of the way and not taking charges and not trying to block shots.

Because all my injuries have been high-impact injuries where I’ve put my body on the line and tried to take a charge or block a shot and unfortunately have been on the tail end of them.

There are some players in the league that (are) very good strategically at avoiding contact, so I think I need to watch some film on those guys and bring that back into my game. [Laughs.]

-Q: Is there anything you can do to speed up healing on this?

-BOGUT: Not that I know of. Basically have to wait for that rib to get sticky again, as they say... Until then, you run the risk of getting hit and it shattering off and going through your lung.

Kind of a bit of a pretty big extreme to come back on the basketball court with. So we’ll see what happens.

-Q: You’ve said the last few days you were fine, but on the court you didn’t look like it. Were you just trying to tell yourself you were OK?

-BOGUT: Somewhat. I mean, I definitely felt I did something to it in that game the first half on Thursday. I wasn’t going to go and say anything to anybody–I spoke to our trainers, got some treatment on it. Obviously you feel it on the back and the front so it’s a strange injury.

Had that dunk in LA where Steph drove baseline, felt it again. I don’t know if I was just inflaming the tissue or if it was just the rib being bruised, but actually took a pain-killer before the game in Portland and got to the fourth quarter fine.

Then one play–looked at it on tape, two guys from Portland are holding my arm and I get an elbow right in probably a millimeter perfect position. Thought I was winded for a second, but it wasn’t going away.

I ended up going back in the game for the last possession, I don’t know how, looking back at it. Then had the X-ray after the game and got the bad news.

Reply #470381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Made of glass

Reply #470382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think anyone was seriously expecting him to play for the Boomers at the WC regardless.

Bogut hasn't played a game for the Boomers in 6 years.

Reply #470385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pretty sure he said no WC ages ago.

Reply #470394 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Regarding the World Cup, Bogut said recently, "It's a 50-50 call at the moment. I'll make a decision at the end of the season, depending how deep we go in the playoffs and how my body feels. It's a matter of being smart personally. I've always said the Olympics in 2016 is my main goal, and everything between that is half and half for me."

Reply #470396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he is so fragile, wtf

Reply #470431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucky we have big banger to rely on. Baynes = beast

Reply #470448 | Report this post

RazzieMagoo  
Years ago

Broke, but he would have been safer in the NBL.

Reply #470530 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

Damn, too bad. Am starting to believe he is just one of those players who is always injured though. Previously I just felt he had been unlucky

Reply #470544 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Damn that's really unfortunate for Bogut, definitely needs to get rested and recovered before he comes back from this one.

Sounds, like his game needs to change from being a great defender taking all the hits, to being more productive on the offensive end especially fronting the basket and shooting, David Andersen never seemed to be injured that way.

Reply #470593 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You can read from that interview that he absolutely hates the "injury prone" tag he has.

Reply #470599 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Just reading Golden State of Mind blog and latest articles are saying BROKEN rib. Now talking 6 week layoff so realistically his season is over. :-(

Reply #470687 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:34 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754