skull
Years ago

Taipans announce signing of Corey Maynard

just heard, SA lad.....any good??

Topic #34336 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Supposedly decent. Was hoping Adelaide would get him in place of Cadee.

Reply #471993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge oversight by the 6ers. This was a chance to finally get an SA kid back in the fold & show they are invested in SA bball. Instead I bet we end up signing Cadee again for another few years of mediocrity.

All the best to Corey, I'm sure he'll succeed in the NBL, just wish it was in Adelaide.

Reply #472000 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Cadee doesnt offer mediocrity. When given the green light to run the show was a very talented PG.

As for Maynard, good luck with a pro career. The more athletes that come back from college and enter the NBL the better. The playing for SA tag is dead and burried, its a professionl gig and having SA kids or the best talent are 2 different things. Not saying this guy wont be a star, BUT wanting him because he is from SA is weak point thesedays, just the way the business side of bball is developing.

Reply #472013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus he's as much Victorian as he is South Australian.

Reply #472014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he any better than Cadee?

Reply #472018 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Different type of player. He is a tough combo guard, and in fact when asked to liken his style of game to a current NBL player he nominated Adam Gibson.

Reply #472019 | Report this post

players  
Years ago

he is a smaller Gibson. He will be a solid back-up PG

Reply #472020 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Never seen him play and only going on descriptions online, but I would've liked Adelaide to have signed him as a potential successor to Gibson. If he's a facilitator who's also tough defensively, I can see that being very useful. Teams facing Perth in past years had to deal with Martin, Lisch and then Robbins - no let up. We could've run Gibson and then Maynard at them.

I assume Wright has something up his sleeve or is keen to retain Cadee. Maybe Cadee has a higher ceiling. I don't know.

But faced with a choice, I think the recent NBL has shown that defensively tough players help you win games as much as anything else and guys like Martin and Gibson are very valuable.

Reply #472023 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Very wise words Ice man!

Reply #472033 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Fearne is now being recognised as a coach running a program that can quickly expose these college kids to the NBL.
No waiting in line if you show the goods but will it win the Taipans a championship?....probably not !

Reply #472041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on Skull.

Reply #472047 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I think Mick Downer would have more to do with recruiting these college players than Fearne. But like you say, at least Fearne is giving them a run.
Taipans really need a solid import guard now as they are looking a little fragile there having also re-signed Bruce.

Reply #472049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I assume this will mean the end to Shaun Bruce with Gliddon reportedly wanting to play PG.

I see Steindl isn't under contact but assuming he will sign with Taipans, what does their team look like

Gliddon / Maynard
Volume Scoring Import / ???
Weigh / Steindl
Loughton / Young
Inside Banger Import (rebounder) / Tragardh

Reply #472050 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

No, Bruce has re-signed, it's in the Maynard article on ATF: http://andthefoul.net/archives/8262

Reply #472051 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

A great signing from all reports on how Corey can play... I don't think that it's a coincidence either that Corey and Gliddon have the same agent either... Something to be said for the Taipans organisation at least that they get Gliddon back and are able to recruit more young talent under the same agent (who would no doubt have the inside word on how the place is run and what the situation is behind the scenes).

I DO wonder, as has been mentioned though, how much is due to Downer, as it seems that Fearne seems to play his favourites, nearly ignoring Steindl in his first season, and Clint only getting more playing time due to some extra big stand out performances...

No, Bruce has re-signed, it's in the Maynard article on ATF: http://andthefoul.net/archives/8262

Yet no mention of it from Taipans either on Twitter or tacked onto the article... You'd think that with Maynard now on the team (not a DP) and Gliddon wanting to play more PG, and them having to get an import PG or at least a combo guard to help Gliddon transition, that there'd be no room for Bruce? I thought he was a serviceable back up, don't get me wrong, but just looking at the numbers and it doesn't really pan out. He'd be flat out competing with Maynard for exactly the same role.

Reply #472063 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Wookiee, i think between Maynard, Gliddon and Bruce the PG spots are covered.
From what i hear Maynard can play the 2 as well, and i'd expect that Bruce would get a bigger role off the bench backing the spot up.
Think our imports would be more likely not to be another PG. Maybe a swing 2/3 or a big depending on what happens with Burston.

Reply #472064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting ATF get the Bruce re-signing news but the NBL doesn't ..... http://www.nbl.com.au/article/id/tqhxo0d5v9fz1n2clb9f74ckg

I suppose having all the young aussie's will help Cairns save on the $$$'s but I would expect them to try and get a 20+ ppt scoring guard to add with the 3 young australian's.

Reply #472067 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Yea id go for a scoring guard with the import spot, either a sg or a combo guard. I reckon Gliddon at pg wont be the greatest move so id go for a combo guard. Would they consider Gary Ervin??? as an combo guard option, Gliddon can guard the sg's with his size and Ervin can help out with both scoring and play making and will be very handy to have if Gliddon at pg works aswell as Barlow at pg did.

Id go with a line up of

Gliddon/Maynard
Import combo guard/Bruce
Steindl or import/Weigh
Loughton/Young
Burston or import/Tragardh

If you can keep both Steindl and Burston and have enough points, slide Bruce to 11th man and get a import swingman.

Reply #472069 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

KP: first off, congrats on being the first ever here to actually include the "ee" at the end of my nick ;)

And you're right, I guess they could certainly cover the PG positions with those three, it all comes down to how much Gliddon can run it, have to admit that I didn't see much of him doing that this season (be it that he wasn't doing it in the games I watched or I wasn't paying close enough attention) so will have to trust that the people in charge know what they're doing if that is indeed the case :)

Then again, I was amazed that they went with both Wilson AND McCamey this season past, so maybe they don't? ;)

Definitely need a lot more scoring punch...

Reply #472070 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

If I was Cairns I'd be trying to get a similar type of player to Beal and would go either a 3 or a big banger depending on whether they resign Steindl or Burston

Reply #472075 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Beal would be perfect. Might as well grab Ennis too.

Reply #472080 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Wookiee - i always respect the integrity of the nickname brother:)

Reply #472081 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

I'd be surprised if they had the money for Beal but if they got Beal they'd go a real cheap second import I reckon. Maybe an NZNBL or SEABL one?

Reply #472082 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Forget the second import. It was easy to forget Cairns' second import this season.

Reply #472084 | Report this post

moo moo  
Years ago

we nearly had beal last year...got piped at the post by wildcats and not by much..probably saved a few dollars picking up a collage player and make a play at beal again..

Reply #472139 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Maynard is a great pickup IMO. A tough and savvy ball handler who does what is required for his team.

I managed to catch up with him for an interview in January which you can check out again here:

Timeout with Corey Maynard: A Bulldog by nature

This is where Paul got his "Adam Gibson" self comparison reference from.

Reply #472148 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Another nice rookie pickup by the Taipans. He made Australia's Stankovic Cup and World University Games training camp squad in 2013.

13/14 Stats @ Bryant University:
36.0mpg, 13.6ppg, 44.8fg%, 28tp%, 82.6ft%, 5.0rpg, 4.3apg, 1.3spg, 2.8topg

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Corey-Maynard-16311/stats/

Reply #472180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookie giving his agent friend a plug?

Reply #472188 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Taipans have officially announced Bruce today http://www.taipans.com/article/id/t0x0jbvr9spf1r8ljyn0bzt6q

Reply #472245 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I think I'm gonna make it a rule to not respond to Anons who can't figure out how to spell someone's nick...

Reply #472274 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:27 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754