LC
Years ago

2014 Big V State Champ Thread

Thought it time to try and contain most of the SC talk to the one thread.

Round 6 recap is now available on PnR:

Big V Round 6: Pacers men storm into top six as Hawks women make statement

Whittlesea Pacers came away from round six of Big V action with two strong road wins to continue their recent good form and march into finals contention, while in the women's competition it was Ringwood who sent an ominous warning to the rest of the league with a big win over fellow title contenders McKinnon.

Topic #34344 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pacers over Bronco's big win, wouldn't surprise me if the Bronco's hadn't touched a ball since before Easter either, they looked rusty as hell.

Reply #472158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is boring, if the stingrays are wining this it is so below everything else

Reply #472183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Anon if basketball bores you why don't you go and support netball? Come back when you grow a pair!

Reply #472238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have come back now I have grown a pair, and I see that it has bored everyone.

My question is how can a small association like Corio Bay be dominating these especially large ones. The competition must be soft.

Reply #472598 | Report this post

Anon2  
Years ago

Actually Anon, Coria Bay are now the biggest association in the state of Victoria. As a result, they have more money than any other association either so when you ask 'how can a small association like Corio Bay be dominating these especially large ones', they can do it because they can afford to sign SEABL quality australian and imported players to fill the core roles in their roster.

Reply #472602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weren't Corio Bay meant to be cellar dwellers and out of the league in a year or so?

Reply #472603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corio Bay is a satellite association in the back blocks, not the largest or most wealthiest. There two imports have never played anything except Div 2 College.

Reply #472604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Above comments are quite comical and uneducated to say the least. No one would be talking about CB if they entered Big V Champs and didn't make finals, let alone the fact that they are leading the competition.

Facts differ somewhat from the posts above and although I stand corrected, I believe these need to be considered.

1. CB is a growing Association in the second largest city in the State of Victoria, not quite the back blocks.

2. They have secured competent and well qualified head coaches to support the already high level coaching which is slowly building their junior and senior representative capacity.

3. They are a very young Association, they have over the years had to restructure and rebuild their system and whole basketball program on and off the court, they are starting to reap the rewards of this financially as well as through on court success.

4. They have been smart in their choices and directed what funds they have into very good imports that they have successfully complimented with their own players and those who have come over from next door (Geelong's program).

There is more to their story, however I will not go into it, just wanted to present some facts to the argument so those reading don't think trolls and inappropriate posters should be believed.

As I said, this is a BigV thread not just a CB thread, however they are now a big part of the BigV, through success and rightly so will be spoken about.

Some of the big Melbourne Based Associations could take a leaf out of the books of the up and commers perhaps?

Reply #472607 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

For such a young organisation they leave alot of Melbourne based organisations for dead.

Reply #472611 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

We have published the numbers here before. Corio Bay are not the biggest association in Country Victoria, never mind the biggest in the state of Victoria.

Ballarat, Bendigo & Geelong are all larger country associations.

I am not sure how young they are either. To my knowledge the competition was established in the early 90's. I remember playing in a tournament at that venue back then.

Reply #472613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT THE PLAYERS WHO HAVE 'COME OVER' FROM THE GEELONG CAMP SIMPLY RETURNED TO THE PLACE THEY STARTED THEIR BASKETBALL AND AT THAT TIME THERE WAS NOT THE LEVEL OF STATE LEAGUE OPPORTUNITIES.

Reply #472614 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

As a club based Association compared with Geelong, Corio Bay is very young. Geelong has been involved in representative and structured club based basketball for many decades, Corio Bay really only got going from about 2006-7 or thereabouts.

Reply #472617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Anon#614 why you shouting man?

Reply #472618 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Despite the yelling, that is interesting. I though Hutchinson and Reardon were long time Geelong players.

Reply #472620 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@Anon - Just cause your imports player Div 2 college doesn;t mean they aren't anygood! Pretty sure a number of current NBL and former NBL players went to Div 2 colleges!

Reply #472621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hutchison started playing basketball at LBII. As with most talented players they left to play a higher grade at GABA at the time. Reardon has always played at both, and worked for sometime at LBII during his SEABL days.

Reply #472622 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Happy to recruit players from NAIA or NCAA Div 2. I remember Dandenong recuited Marty Clarke from Duke and Chris Sneed from North Florida which was D2 at the time. Clarke got sent home mid season and Sneed won MVP. Lesson learnt!!!

Reply #472624 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

ok. thanks. hutchison must be younger than I thought. Did I read somewhere last year he was closing on 40? I know he has played a mountain of games.

Reply #472625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he is 38 or 39 when working and at home. Bit younger on the court and much younger out.

Reply #472627 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

So he started playing when he was 19 or 20?

Reply #472628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hutch was a late started to senior rep basketball. A great local player that sat behind some talent (some not as talented) in his first years in CVIBL/VBL. Found his role increased when he was around 24/25.

Not a rep junior, taught himself how to play mostly and is a true self made player. Played in every comp he could get a game in around Geelong in his 20's. Hungry guy, tough guy who did his apprenticeship a bit too long than he should have had to but stuck fat with the Geelong region. Will be an excellent head coach down the track also - great communicator, charismatic and smart hoops IQ.

Reply #472636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stingrays are building basketball in Geelong. They run the 'Stingrays Schools & Community Program' and have visited 40 schools already this season. Imports are praised for their on court but they are amazing off the court in the geelong region. Basketball is the winner.

Reply #472637 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Agree with ^anon, the Geelong region is the winner, both major programs (Stingrays - Supercats) connect well with the community and have had some major changes recently which appear to be showing good signs.

Geelong is lucky to be close enough to Melbourne and yet in the country as well. Opportunities for basketball in the region need to continue to expand, this will need local council and government support.

The area needs another stadium or a massive upgrade, at the moment we are like so many others, bursting at the seams.

Reply #472640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the "woofing without doing anything - size" ratios tough Corio Bay is leading the country!

Reply #472643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A new stadium is not needed, additional courts on existing sites is all that is needed. Too many people come back from Bendigo and drool over their stadium that is never full during the week and looks great at tournaments. Better use of existing courts is all that is needed (fixture better) and a few additional courts on the existing stadiums.
Netball will get a bright shinny new stadium before basketball in the geelong region and they deserve it too.

Reply #472649 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Basketball Victoria is telling everyone that wants to listen that we need more courts. Are you saying that the Geelong facilities are not full?

Reply #472653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yup, so basketball and netball deserve a new stadium, what is wrong with building one that caters for both?

Reply #472660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The speed the Stingrays are growing, they might have to start playing games at the Arena in the not to distant future.

Reply #472688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball Geelong would never allow it

Reply #472722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The arena is a city facility, its got nothing to do with 'Basketball North Geelong' ...they are simply another tenant.

Basketball Victoria are the kings of 'recommendations' but champions of nothing. They have a long history of failing to assist the growth of basketball in geelong region. The 3 associations have grown the game without BV involvement or assistance.

Reply #472727 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Hume City got very close to Ringwood, so I'd expect a tight contest today between Corio Bay and Hume City in South Geelong.

Also, I would expect a very good crowd as the AFL is in Melbourne, hope the joint is jumping as this clash will be a high quality one I feel...

Reply #472825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corio Bay achilles heel is their bench. I went and watched them play Whittlesea. Corio got up by 20, put their bench on and crumbled. Whittlesea were unlucky their last 3 by Petridis did not drop as it rimmed out. They have no depth. If they get injuries or players in foul trouble again in a playoff series they will not defend their title.

Reply #472885 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Not alot of defence in State Champ Men....Old fashion Wednesday night VBA shootouts.

Reply #472888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy Days, at the risk of getting all the officiating people off side, there is as much defense as the refereeing will allow.

The teams are restricted by the poor standard of calls. It seems the refs choose the easy call by calling blocks and suspect pics as opposed to rewarding good D.

I think all teams are frustrated by the soft calls in D.

Reply #473016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well having watched a lot of SEABL and BigV in the past god know how long and this season in particular given the combined league directives let me share a few of my observations of the difference between how your statement sits with both leagues.

1) The Same official officiate both leagues.

2) For some reason BigV Champ teams have struggled to adjust far more than the SEABL Teams have.

3) The BigV teams seem far more interested in complaining and misbehaving than their SEABL counterparts.

So my assessment is you can argue and complain but the more professional better drilled teams just adjust and seem to get on with it.

Dumb teams fight it and end up with issues.

In general from many years of watching the BigV teams seem more undisciplined in most areas.

That's my take.

Reply #473021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly, that sounds like an opinion rather than a well observed study. Just another detractor from BigV to SEABL.
Secondly some of these referees have never called games at this level before, nor can they keep up with the game. Not knew but very common, and that is why some of the best credentialed players are fouling out regularly. And that is why it is all offence!

Reply #473026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet SEABL seems to be different?

Same Refs ref both leagues except there are 3 of them on SEABL and only 2 on BigV so if anything SEABL is called tighter.
You can't blame the refs for the issues in BigV though, they are the same ones doing SEABL.
The defence is more clean at SEABL level, it's a skill thing, this is why the BigV teams are struggling, it's simply a difference in skill between the different leagues.

Having said that you have to adjust or risk fouling out.

Reply #473027 | Report this post

Anonymous X 2  
Years ago

Here is my summation of SEABL vs Big V. The intellect between these two leagues is quite large. The quality of the coaching (due to bigger budgets) creates a far better quality of player and recruitment of player. This is a no-brainer when it comes to playing at a higher level. Big V Championship takes the SEABL's dregs. Let's not sugercoat it. The coaches at Big V championship level are there for a reason (they couldn't get a gig at SEABL level or are on the rise and may get a look in down the track). When it comes to refereeing standards, I am still a big believer in "it's how you react to bad calls rather than the calls themselves" - Hypothetical...a referee gives you a bad call. There are generally two reactions here. A) You tell the referee that his/her mother is a so and so and cuss him/her or you smile at him/her and say "I don't know, I think you owe me one there." Now, two minutes later, there is a 50/50 call...how will the referee respond? A) You cussed his/her mother - BANG - Call against you. B) He/She may feel they owe you one and you were pleasant to them when they potentially made a mistake - BANG - You will probably get the call in your favour.

Referees don't decide games. Teams reactions to bad calls do.

Reply #473071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous X 2 you are absolutely spot on.

I see this time and time and time again.

The SEABL teams seem to be able to accept things better and move on, build rapport and act more professionally.
I hear all the time about multiple Techs in BigV games but they are rare at SEABL level. Same Refs, so what's the difference?

The Coaches ans Players and their behavior...

Reply #473090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you want a first hand explanation of the difference between officiating a SEABL Game and BigV game from purely a game management perspective, (not standard of competition) just go ask a panel 1 or 2 ref for their thoughts.

There will be zero doubt about their feelings on the massive difference and contrasting levels of respect and behavior.

Reply #473092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys are taking this off track. The point Happy Days raised was the amount of Offense as opposed to Defense. The rebuttal was that the referees are not letting them play. Don't take this as a lack of standard. There are plenty of players good enough to play SEABL if they elected too. For example look at Bulleen. They have a large number of players good enough in their own right to play SEABL. Here is a recent stat from their game against Waverley.
BULLEEN
PLAYER PFS
S. Pomasan 5
T. Varmall 4
M. Whitehead 2
S. Cuffe 4
N. Masunda 0
K. Beston 4
J. Todd 4
L. Norton 5

After speaking with some of the players they said they were not allowed to play. They called everything as if it was VJBL and not a senior men’s game.

Reply #473097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ #473097

But it is about the skill level and behavior, the rebuttal is flawed because the same officials ref both leagues yet SEABL has a different outcome.

The inference was it's a shootout because players find it too hard to play defense without fouling, my observation is players play crappy defense, either don't learn from it or aren't taught correctly and keep fouling.

So the high scores come from either 1) excessive free throws or 2) lame defense to avoid fouling.

Looking at you Bulleen to SEABL example:

S. Pomasan - NOPE
T. Varmall - NOPE
M. Whitehead - Did but NOW PAST IT.
S. Cuffe - NOPE Too small/old.
N. Masunda - NOPE
K. Beston - ZERO impact when he had his chance.
J. Todd - FAILED at Brisbane and Knox.
L. Norton - Possible.

Reply #473099 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Couple of my observations:the team that plays tough D will win the title regardless of the refs, as Big V continues to expand the development and quality of refs hasnt been able to keep pace and athletes in SEABL are in much better shape physically than most running around in Big V.

Reply #473100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy Days i agree.

The BigV Champ team that can adjust the best, drill CORRECT defensive actions relentlessly, and not accept poor execution and effort, build rapport with the officials AND be the best conditioned team will win it.

The Teams that are in denial and indignant of the way the game is officiated will continue to find themselves in constant conflict with the officials.
The SEABL Teams are better conditioned due to their extra workload both at training and constant double header weekends.

Reply #473101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are generalising and not seeing enough of these games.
Where the players are too old, this does not mean they are not smart and crafty.
The facts are that good D should be rewarded, and refs are in many cases taking the easy way out by calling blocks and illegal picks.

Reply #473102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The facts are that good D should be rewarded, and refs are in many cases taking the easy way out by calling blocks and illegal picks."

Agree, good D should and in most cases is rewarded.
The fact you're focusing on it as a complaint and thinking about it in a negative way means you're already distracted from the game plan..

THIS is exactly what i'm talking about!!!!
You can accept it and move on and altering how you screen to leave no doubt..

OR.. allowing it to simmer in the back of your mind and distract how you play.

Nobody said the Refs are perfect or right all the time, that will never be the case, the difference is how you react to it.

Reply #473104 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@Anon - In terms of the Bulleen team and level of skill required at SEABL level Norton is the only one that could play solid minutes at that level in a good team.

So maybe the argument around skill level in the individual defender is a good talking point it could also be around the athlete as the rule interpretations make it a more open/athletic game so this suits some teams and players while those a bit slower or teams who don't recognise and get extra help for slower defenders are leaving no option but for some guys to foul.

Reply #473106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have watched many BigV games this season and flopping is rampart. The refs and rewarding flopping more so than last year.

Reply #473111 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Another point i didn't mention is that some refs in Big V are having to do back to back games which is not an easy task due to the lack of numbers.Its great that Big V keeps expanding but some thought needs to go into the quality and numbers of referees required.

Reply #473115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TW, good points too.

I also think the tighter calling of the game has done a number of things.

1) Its made it harder for slower less athletic guards to defend quicker more athletic players because they can no longer scrap, hold, block or physically steer them, this has opened up the game some what.

2) Its made it harder for under sized, slower or less skilled big's to bump cutters, set illegal defensive blocks or scrag in the post, again, allowing the bigger more athletic skillful players to use their ability more freely.

It's forced the better coaches to rethink their defensive strategy's and change training drills and patterns, it may also at the higher levels made some players look out of their depth.

All in all i think it's been a good thing for the game but the by product is the negativity from players and teams no longer able to play in the gray area (or outside) of the rules and get away with it.

Reply #473117 | Report this post

Anonymous X 2  
Years ago

Anonymous (yes there are a few) - The one that summised the Bulleen team. You are spot on. Norton is the only one I would put in there. Cuffe is a strong player but has found his level. Similar to a Petridis at Whittlesea. These players go no further for a variety of reasons (but generally it's between the ears). Egan from Ringwood is another in that basket.

Reply #473120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, Norton could play as a decent bench player at SEABL level.

On the differences anyone remember Alex Bogart King? The dominant 4 man at BigV level? He's a bench player and putting up modest numbers in the weakest SEABL team this year, that shows the difference.

HD, yes far too many Officials are doing double header games on the same night, something like 25 did it last weekend, there is a massive issue attracting and keeping officials in the game.

Reply #473121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While officials doing too many games is something that should be addressed, there are those who are happy to double up and get the extra cash too.

Reply #473124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's always the misguided that speak the most.

In regards to the level, don't let the SEABL past convince you it is that level now - it's not and hasn't been for years.

Many Many players & coaches choose to play SC because:

a) Money is as good if not more at SC level than SEABL

b) They (like many seable guys) don't want to burn their entire weekends with travel all over the state for the same level of basketball

c) More family friendly environments at SC.

Don't kid yourselves guys.

And on the refs,
whenever there is a Top 4 vs Top 4 SC game, the same refs who ref SEABL officiate those games. This is accurate and they are well officiated.

When it is not a key match up game, the refs are inexperienced, unknown, have limited game awareness and have developing communication skills. They look to be nervous and untrained to the level by the ref boss'. They should be better supported because the result poor. Compare all you like, but if SEABL teams received the Big V D1/D2 level refs you would quickly find their conduct, behavior and attitudes to be a point of discussion also.

Reply #473125 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

How much do refs get for a SEABL game compared to a Big V game?

Reply #473128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The top panel refs: (WNBL/NBL) get paid more to ref BigV than SEABL

Reply #473130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bwahahaha! you're kidding yourself mate, no chance in hell SCM/W is the same Std as SEABL, to even suggest it destroys your credibility.

Reply #473134 | Report this post

twist  
Years ago

Well Bogart-King had 20 and 11 last week against Auryn Macmillan (current nbl player). That says something....

Reply #473137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Annonymous X 2 "Cuffe is a strong player but has found his level. Similar to a Petridis at Whittlesea. These players go no further for a variety of reasons (but generally it's between the ears). Egan from Ringwood is another in that basket."

I'm pretty sure Cuffe is a Physiotherapist or something along those lines, so when you question someone's ability "between the ears", you really ought to be sure about it.

"Generally" you shouldn't generalise buddy. It makes you look like you have issues "between the ears"

Reply #473139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And how the F did this thread turn into a debate about referees? There is one poster who is obviously a referee trying to defend referees in general.
Suggestions that BigV players are stupid and SEABL players are not is a fundamentally flawed statement.
Since when is it a referee's job to decide who plays better defence??? A referee should not have an opinion on a team's skill level. They should CALL THE GAME AS THEY SEE IT!!! How freakin difficult is that?
Basketball at all levels in this country has been broken by poor refereeing and imho we are witnessing its death.

Reply #473140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top 4 SCM vs Top 4 SEABL (at season end)= no difference.

Bottom 4 SCM vs Bottom 4 SEABL = HUGE difference.

The cream is the same, the bottom lacks depth.

Reply #473148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ Absolute Rubbish.

Explain how the hell any Big V team would cope with say Nunawading or MtGambier???????

Go check their rosters, both have NBL std starting 5's.

Both would sweep Corio or Ringwood by 30+

Reply #473149 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

that is fairytale stuff, or pretty average trolling.

Reply #473152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree HO, id back Albury or Canberra against either Corio or Ringwood.

But we're getting off the track, anyone knows the standards are very different, that's not the topic.

Reply #473153 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Round 7 recap has now been uploaded to PnR site:

Big V Round 7: Suns men and Eagles women record important wins in weekend sweeps

Sherbrooke enjoyed a perfect weekend in round seven of the men's competition, with the Suns defeating the in-form Diamond Valley and the highly fancied yet struggling Bulleen in telling performances, while Diamond Valley’s women trumped struggling Warrandyte and undefeated Hume City in a huge upset to move into finals calculations after a lowly start to the 2014 season.

Reply #473170 | Report this post

Anonymous X 2  
Years ago

Anonymous - Jumping to conclusions here re: Cuffe. Not questioning intelligence when it comes to occupation or general brains. Questioning basketball sense, ability to control ego and ability to fit into team rules. That's what I mean by between the ears. Any questioning this philosophy...as for what's between my ears...talking a heap more sense than you.

Reply #473175 | Report this post

Anonymous X 2  
Years ago

Alex Bogart-King - Dominant 4-Man at Big V Level......sorry, what?? What were his numbers? Where did his team finish? That was a very silly statement.....Lebron James - Dominant. Maybe change the adjective??

Reply #473176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AX2, I think you'll find the ABK reference was a paraphrase of those who talked his stocks up, certainly didn't read like anons opinion.

BigV ABK: 16 and 6
SEABL ABK: 9 and 6

Almost a 50% reduction in points production going up to SEABL.

Reply #473177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big V v SEABL?

Former SEABL import, Jamal Brown had 42points 14 rebounds against the 2nd best team in the league. Enough said.

Reply #473185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dominant or dormant?

Reply #473186 | Report this post

Geoff  
Years ago

Give ABK a break, he's on a new team in a new comp. He's starting to find his feet now and his numbers and minutes have steadily increased.

Credit where credit is due, the kid wasn't happy with big v and made an entire life move for basketball to see where he could go with it.

Reply #473208 | Report this post

Anonymous X 2  
Years ago

Nothing against ABK. Don't know the guy but I question when people use words like Dominant. Dominant is not 16 & 6. Dominant is 25 and 12 in the 4-Man position. Large words like Dominant, Champion and Star get used far too easily.

Reply #473226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No ones bagging ABK, his situation was simply used to illustrate the difference in standards.

People talked him up last year, that's where the reference to superlatives came from.

If he gets back to putting up his BigV numbers he will have had to work hard to develop and improve his game, which i'm sure he will.

Reply #473233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saying SEABL is better than the other state leagues is ridiculous. It's like saying the VFL is better than the SANFL just because it was at one stage.

Too many blind-pride SEABL backers on here that miss the real standards.

Reply #473275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Weed smoker.

Reply #473279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fine.

Let's look at it like this. You pick any current Big V team to coach against Nunawading or Mt Gambier in a 7 games series. Good luck with that.

Reply #473282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nunawadings Bench would win BigV, and i'm being serious, go look at their list.

Reply #473283 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Best Example last year was Knox finished deadlast with CJ, Carter, Strong, Philip, carrol & hill + solid kids coming off the bench Page etc.

Vs Corio Bay (Champs of Big V)

Reardon, Norton, Williams, Osborne, Hicks with Hutchy coming off the bench next to some scrubs...

Think that says it all.

2014 isn't a whole lot different.

Reardon, Hicks, 2 x imports, Rebula with Headlam & Hutchy coming off the pine.

Vs

Canberra

Joyce, Jackson, 2 x imports with a mix of kids/vets off the bench.

I would think canberra would probably touch up Corio Bay.....so the whole this level that level is only spoken about by Big V people justify themselves!

If you put worst team in SCM vs best in SEABL it would be a 80pts smashing!

Reply #473317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If SEABL is so good, why won't the Geelong pussycats play Stingrays in a practice match?

The fear of losing and showing that the top 4 teams in Big V are on par with SEABL.

Reply #473325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are not on par lets not get silly but if you put seabl imports with those top four teams not far off and corio would beat canberra jackson and joyce please

Reply #473326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last season stingrays played ballarat in a practice match and were by 20+ at half time. Used the bench the rest of the game and won comfortably.

Reply #473328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, practice matches?? Really??

How about we objectively look at the rosters.
BigV teams are too small to compete with the plethora of 6'9" to 7' tall 4's and 5's in SEABL.

Reply #473329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Objectively, well I prefer to consider facts and there is no way that SEABL Ballarat side would beat the Stingrays side with one import.
This is not say the Stingrays would win against the better sides, however they would be competitive.

Reply #473330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That ballarat side was also missing shaun Bruce and Lucas walker from the side.. So u can keep the thrashing of ballarat in a practice game as a memory because that's all it is.. Doesn't mean anything.. ballarat seabl would thrash corio.. Last years team or this years.. Big v champ is the most overrated competition shows when div 1 sides are coming in and being competitive

Reply #473334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok, so Corio Bay is your team of choice v Nunawading?

scooter v McDonald
Rebula v O'Hea
Reardon v creek
Johnson v Greer
Hicks v conn

Osborne (L) v Shepard
Hutchison v Steel
Headlam v Cameron

Mercy rule will be used by half Time...

Reply #473347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dear god that would be a massacre, Hicks would have struggled to get mins if he stayed in that team 3rd in line behind Conn/Cameron, and now Steel.

Reply #473349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL is such a strong competition that a bunch of 18 yr old kids beat teams.

Reply #473710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That means the 18 yr olds would go undefeated in Big V.

Reply #473725 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Round 8 has been won and done with a recap now up on PnR:

Big V Round 8: Venom snare first win as Cougars men cause huge upset

Warrandyte are on the board in the top flight of the women's competition after knocking over Melbourne to claim their first win of the season, while in the men’s competition it was McKinnon making a stir as they held on for a tight upset win over Waverley as things heated up in the middle of the table.

Two younger, smaller associations making their mark...

Reply #474053 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And now Round 9 is also in the bag with the recap now up on pickandroll.com.au

Big V Round 9: Ringwood men and women make big statements

Ringwood's Big V program is thriving after both its men’s and women’s sides each snared big 20-point wins over title rivals in round nine. The Hawks men sent defending champions Corio Bay packing for their first blemish of the campaign in convincing fashion, while the women romped home to a smashing of title favourites Waverley to complete a dream weekend.

Statistical Leaders - Men!

Reply #475185 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Big V State Champ Round 10 Recap is now up on PnR:

Big V Round 10: Favourites fire as Lady Broncos buck Falcons women

Perennial big guns Ringwood, Waverley and Corio Bay continued to put space between them and the next best side in the men's competition, while Hume City showed their title credentials with an overtime victory over the highly-fancied Falcons.

Reply #476226 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Big V State Champ Rd 11 Recap is now up on PnR:

Big V Round 11: Broncos men snap losing streak as Cougars secure big double over Boomers

Hume City's men snapped a seven game losing streak and McKinnon’s men and women both secured huge wins over Bulleen to headline round 11 Big V action. The Broncos beat Diamond Valley to get their first win in six weeks, while the both Cougars sides cemented fourth spot in their respective competitions by beating finals rivals Bulleen, with the women in particular putting three games between themselves and the Boomers as the season heads into the home stretch.

Reply #477215 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Love your work LC, however calling Corio Bay perennial may be a few years too early mate...

Yes, they are a powerhouse team at the moment, I would like to see however that they stay there for 10 years or so before I class them into one of the longer lasting and historically successful teams in Big V.

Reply #477226 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Round 12 of the Big V was big...the recap is now up on PnR:

Big V Round 12: Contenders emerge as finals picture takes shape

The men's top six and women’s top four are starting to well and truly take shape in the 2014 State Championship competitions, with the chasing pack having some ground to make up as the season moves into the final six weeks.

Reply #479190 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Round 13 Recap is now up on PnR:

Big V Round 13: Big upsets blow women's finals race wide open

Huge upsets by Bulleen and Melbourne have blown the women’s finals race wide open after the top four had looked near-set, with the Boomers upsetting second-placed Hume City and the lowly Tigers knocking off fourth-placed Waverley. The situation surrounding Brigitte Ardossi’s immediate playing future at the Falcons looks to be the major sticking point in the run home for Big V season 2014.

Reply #479939 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Round 14 Recap now up on PnR:

Big V Round 14: Cougars men, Falcons women slip to finals brink

McKinnon's men lost their fourth straight game and Waverley’s women suffered a smashing at the hands of Ringwood as both teams clung to the final playoffs spot in their respective competitions with just a month of Big V action remaining.

Reply #481068 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Round 15 Recap is now up on PnR:

Big V Round 15: Wildcats women alive as Falcons, Boomers slip up

Eltham upset Bulleen and Warrandyte toppled Waverley to leave the finals race wide open with three rounds to play. The Wildcats are suddenly back in contention and are sitting just a single win behind both the Falcons and the Boomers with head-to-head on the latter. In the men's competition, Sherbrooke stunned Corio Bay at home to signal their Big V finals intentions.

Reply #482029 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Round 16 Recap is now up on PnR:

Big V Round 16: Eagles men, Wildcats women stay alive with big wins

Diamond Valley's men and Eltham’s women are both in the hunt for what seemed impossible finals berths just a fortnight ago after big wins in round 16 of Big V season 2014. The Eagles upset Sherbrooke before stunning Eltham in the final moments to move to within a win of the finals, while Eltham thrashed sliding Waverley to be a half-game behind fourth-placed Bulleen.

Reply #482936 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Round 17 Recap was posted on PnR yesterday - every Tuesday...

Big V Round 17: Men's top six all-but set, Boomers women in box seat

The men’s finals contenders are seemingly set heading into the final round of Big V action, with McKinnon set to make it in their championship debut barring a disaster and only Sherbrooke and Bulleen able to trade spots. In the women’s competition it is Bulleen who will hold all the aces heading into round 18, with only a win against Waverley needed for the Boomers to reach the semi-finals. Both Eltham and Waverley remain in contention, however, making for an interesting final day of the season.

Reply #484354 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Round 18 Recap now up on PnR:

Big V Round 18: Falcons women snatch fourth spot on last day, Cougars men hold off Eagles for sixth

Waverley and McKinnon will occupy the final playoffs spot in the women's and men’s competitions respectively as the Big V 2014 season reaches the post-season. The Falcons dramatically thrashed Bulleen to take fourth spot from the Boomers in the last game of the season, while the Cougars held off Diamond Valley’s late-season dash for the top six with a win against Werribee.

Reply #485386 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Week 1 of Semi Finals action is now in the bag with a recap now up on PnR...

Big V Semi Finals (Week 1): Suns, Falcons men advance as Hawks, Broncos women take 1-0 lead

Waverley and Sherbrooke staved off elimination by dumping McKinnon and Bulleen respectively from the 2014 Big V playoffs in the men's competition, while Hume City and Ringwood both won away from home to take 1-0 series leads and be in the box seat to advance to a grand final in the women’s competition.

Reply #486477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Suns gave it a shake today, got off to a great start against the Stingrays, but after that their shooting dropped off and the Rays held a solid lead to stamp their authority coming into the final.

There was a very decent size crowd in Geelong to watch the Rays and Suns game, many highlights on offer too, great spectacle well done to both teams.

Reply #487321 | Report this post

Suns Watcher  
Years ago

A big well done to the Suns,a good season given that alot of people on this site were giving them a bagging and questioning why the were in Champ Men at the start of the year. To finish top 4 and really take it up to the top teams is a great effort.

Reply #487322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't there, but from the box score it appears the Falcons also got off to a flyer until the Hawks settled down and started to drive home their advantage. The final series should be another cracker between the Stingers and the Hawks, may go down to the wire.

Reply #487323 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Week 2 of finals action now up on PnR:

Big V Semi/Preliminary Finals: Top two men, women advance to decider

Corio Bay and Ringwood will face off for the men's 2014 championship after both made their way through to the deciding series with preliminary final wins, while Ringwood and Hume City completed clean sweeps in their semi-final series’ to also advance to a grand final in a rematch of last season’s decider.

Reply #487772 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Recap of week 1 of the Big V Champ finals are now up on PnR thanks to Dean Zardo:

Big V Grand Finals (Week 1): Stingrays men, Hawks women on championship brink

Corio Bay's men and Ringwood’s women are on the brink of securing the 2014 Big V championships after first-up away wins, leaving both sides needing just one win from two home games next weekend to clinch the title.

Reply #488865 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Recap of the conclusion to the Big V Champ grand finals is now up on PnR:

Big V Grand Finals (Week 2): Hawks men, Broncos women snatch unlikely championships

Ringwood's men and Hume City’s women came back from 1-0 down to win two straight games away from home and snatch their respective 2014 Big V titles.

Reply #489851 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:11 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754