bg04
Years ago

36ers re-sign Creek for 2+1 years

Anyone have any news on who will be announced tomorrow?

(Mod: Title updated.)

Topic #34440 | Report this topic

Moneyballer  
Years ago

Hopefully Creek or DJ

Reply #474004 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Nice to see the Sixers getting the roster in order. When you consider pre-season is July, that's not much time - about 6 weeks away, and season games start in October (130 odd days away)

Dean won't have any time for Friday golf!

So, what I understand the team thus far is:

Gibson
Teys
BJ
Petrie
Schensch

Who could it be?
DJ - probably the hot tip, with a Euro out option?
Creeky - all the female fans, and male fans U25, would be thrilled
Cadee - maybe sticking around in NZ?
Ervin - is it too early to lock in an import?
Carter - would be a very handy re-sign IMO

From the NBL website, other free agents?
Matt Burston - unlikely
Clint Steindl
Jamar Wilson
Demetri McCamey
Scott Morrison
Auryn Macmillan
Mustapha Farrakhan
CJ Bruton
Kerron Johnson
Gary Wilkinson
Casey Frank
Drake U'u
Damian Martin
Erik Burdon
Jermaine Beal - would be happy
Tom Jervis - an offer would depend on the DJ situation
James Ennis - all is forgiven if you turned blue
Shawn Redhage - very unlikely
Brad Hill - third time lucky?
Shaun Gleeson
AJ Ogilvy
Jesse Sanders
James Harvey
Ben Allen
Charles Carmouche
Sam Young
Jarrad Weeks
Josh Pace
Peter Crawford
Scott Kenny
Greg Vanderjagt
Brian Conklin
Tim Coenraad
Oscar Forman - very unlikely
Rhys Martin
Tyson Demos
Larry Davidson - I'll supply the bandanas
David Gruber
Rotnei Clarke - would be happy if he signed
Shane Harris-Tunks
Kevin Tiggs
Dominique Cooks

Reply #474016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redhage is not a free agent. he signed a 3 year deal last season.Jervis might be who knows if DJ bolts. Martin is staying a Cats.Beal has indicted It's either Perth or overseas.

Peter Craword is done.Ennis?. lol he is off to Europe.Sam Young would be a good get...Sixers need more offense from their guards off the bench. backup scoring combo guard would be good if Ervin bolts.

Reply #474022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I meant a starting combo guard.

Reply #474023 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

PC is far from done.

Reply #474028 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

By far if you mean nearly ....I agree.

Reply #474030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Jack you told us jack.

Reply #474042 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

DJ is already signed for another year....wont be him.
I'd suggest it is Creek.

Reply #474050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stop saying off to Europe...… Ennis & DJ in Peurto Rico……. Not Europe….

Reply #474059 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon #474059 - DJ has stated he wants to explore options in Europe. His current gig in Puerto Rico is aside from that.

Reply #474074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how do you say he has signed for another year then?

Reply #474101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Management either agree to let him explore those options or he has an out clause in his contract.

Reply #474104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher has an option that he hasnt picked up yet. Could be him taking up that option or it could be him with a new, renegotiated contract.

Reply #474106 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Likely to be Creek.

Reply #474114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need Hill and Holmes back, we should never of got rid of them.

Reply #474115 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

From FB:

"Mitch Creek has signed a new 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd year with the club!

Fan favourite Creek said "I see myself as a 36er and I couldn't be happier!""

Great news IMO.

Reply #474116 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NBL:

Adelaide 36ers swingman Mitch Creek has signed a new agreement with the club for the next two seasons with an option for a third year.

The new agreement will see Creek remain at the club until at least the 2015/16 season with an option prior to 2016-17.

Reply #474119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good signing but he needs to keep improving, especially his jump shot!

Reply #474123 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

It's fantastic to see that the "core" of the team has been retained. I still don't think we have seen the best from Mitch and hoping he can have a real breakout season.

For me, the DJ signing or replacement is a critical signing. Import centres haven't been a big hit in recent times, so hopefully the Sixers are persuing Tom Jervis or AJ Ogilvy as security.

Gary Ervin is a "must keep". Best import we have had in god knows how long, we make a grand final, he is a great finisher yet people want him gone.....really?

We are just one decent import away from matching Perth and possibly going one step further.

Reply #474131 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

And if we have to choose between Cadee and Carter, it's Carter for mine.

Cadee provides great energy but honestly we can get that through a number of players providing a spark where needed.

Carter gives more at the defensive end which is perhaps where we need the most improvement. His lock down defensive jobs during the finals were a treat to witness. Gibbo and Carter provide the ultimate defensive backcourt while Gibson and Ervin provide the scoring punch.

Reply #474132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great news. With a jump shot will be a great player but he is already a great player for the club. Great around the fans, always upstairs after game great person to have at any club on and off the floor.
Plus he does a pretty mean lay up.

Reply #474181 | Report this post

Coeezy  
Years ago

Dazzman, your spot on on Gary Ervin.
He does have his flaws, but you can't argue with the results, that's for sure.

Reply #474199 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

C Schenscher/????
F Petrie/Anthony
F Teys/Creek
G Gibson/????
G ????/????

Out of interest...

Reply #474217 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Awesome signing, im a Creek fan, will be very interesting to see where he is at by the end of this contract imo. At worst he is a very good back up sf, at best he could develop into a Mackinnon type, by the end of this contract we will have a fair idea i reckon,

I reckon he will end up somewhere in between say Brad Hill and Sam Mackinnon, so will have a good career, and if he can even get close to Mackinnon he will be awesome!!

Yea the line up is looking good to me KET, with 2 import spots in hand and still to see if Johnson will stay.

This is my latest on how id finnish the roster.

The spots we need to fill are starting guard, small forward (starter or bench, im calling Teys back up sg), starting C and a 4th guard.

The starting guard spot - id use a import for and this would be my next priority along with DJ if he will sign. Id be open to either a pg or a sg as i think Gibbo can play either, i reckon we will end up with a pg/combo guard again, personally i think we should keep Ervin unless we can grab Ced Jackson or maybe R.Clarke, S.Dennis, K.Lisch, anyone else isnt a guaranteed upgrade on Ervin and finding a guard as good as Ervin for the price say 120k-150k isnt as easy as people think. So i say lock in Ervin for 1 more year, unless there is a genuine chance at one of the names i have mentioned, which i sort of doubt. So give Gary another year.

Small forward - id go for Steindl, at the right price, dont make him a 'franchise guy' like Clarke did with Weigh, he can shoot the ball and is a nice athlete and i reckon those 2 things were lacking a bit last season, he could either start or back up Creek, either way id split the minutes 20 each or close to, depending on whose playing the best.

Starting C - if we can lock in DJ this would be my first preference, if he leaves id look at Wilkinson or Hudson, both are NBL proven. Wilkinson is basically a import DJ so would be first choice, Hudson could also be handy if we cant get Wilkinson. Cam Bairstow would be my first choice for this spot if DJ leaves, but i think he will be hard to get, it may pay to leave it open for a bit and let the dust settle on DJs and Bairstows Euro/NBA aspirations as one may become available late in the piece, waiting could be a risk as Wilkinson and Hudson may also not be available, but id be willing to take the risk on DJ and Bairstow if they show any interest in the club if Euro/NBA doesnt happen, if they show no interest, move on quickly and grab Wilkinson, but again not on 'franchise player' money. We also have/likely to have Schenscher who imo could start if need be, so if we left it late and ended up with a fresh face import/young Aussie big it wouldnt be the end of the world.

4th guard spot, to me this would be my last signing and would depend abit if DJ stays or goes. Given we will likely have a import pg/combo guard and Gibbo its not crucial it be a pg or a sg, guys id love to see fill this spot include Carter, Dillon, Daly, Burdon, any of them would be fine imo, Rhys Carter being my preference. However if DJ stays we would have a import spot open, then id be going for a import in the Tucker mould who can play pg-sf, 6'6, athletic, can handle the ball and needs to be able to hit atleast 60% FT's, and potentially be happy off the bench with whatever money we have left, which is why im leaving this spot til last, but wouldnt be too upset if they locked in Rhys Carter and left the import spot open for insurance if DJ stays. If we go the import path in this spot they could battle Stendl and Creek for a starting spot, a bit of healthy competition.

This would give us a team of (salaries are approx what i reckon they are worth/hope they are on)

DJ or import (Wilkinson) $150k /Schenscher $90k
Petrie 100k/BJ 45k
Steindl 100k/Creek 90k
Gibson 150k/Teys 65k
Import (Ervin) 140k/Rhys Carter or import 70k

That line up fits under 70 points if Rhys Carter (or a player worth equal or less points) is the 4th guard signed,

if we want a import in that spot we could only get CJ Massingale really, so if we wanted another import we would probably have to chose between Steindl and Carter or import (70-100k) and a cheaper guard say Daly or Burdon.

Id probably go Steindl and Carter over a cheaper import 70-100k and Daly, leave the import spot in hand, could be handy if any injuries happen to key players.

Reply #474227 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Best signing yet, much more still for him to learn but the most important aspect is that he is the face of the club. The juniors look up to him and his athletic ability, the elders love his passion and like it or not the females(young & old) who follow the game like him in more ways than one.

A great, great signing for the direction the 36ers are going, on and off the court. Well done sixers mangement/owners and congratulations Mitch, will enjoy watching you grow into a great player and club man.

Reply #474235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jonno, I don't think there are many half decent centres going around for under $100K. You might have to pony up a little more for Luke.

Reply #474237 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

yea i was wondering that, i was sort of hoping he would do a 3 year $90k contract, he makes a little less per season but gets security, which may be attractive especially with his injury history and age, but yea if it costs more for him then obviously there is less available for that 4th guard spot.

Reply #474242 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I would have thought Creek would look elsewhere.

It is clear he is behind Teys now, can his development really take off with less than 20 mins a game?

Reply #474244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You might be right Jonno, not many of us know what's written on the contracts.

Reply #474247 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I have no idea either, they are just guestimates based on what i think the players are worth within the salary cap/what i would offer if i was GM, absolutely no inside knowledge.

But that is how id go about it with Schenscher, if it costs too much more you would have to move him into starter imo, which i dont mind, but constant injury concerns would be my biggest issue, but he was fit and firing for a fair chunk of last season, as you cant have back ups on big money as it hurts depth elsewhere.

Reply #474249 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Marcus Camby, seeing as though you have spent the time to deliciously place your bait on your hook, I'll respond.

I don't think he is actually behind Teys per se. But I'm glad you mention the young lad. Obviously Joey rates him highly and the big reason is he listens to instructions and has a high basketball IQ.

Certainly if I was in Creeky's shoes, the first thing I would do post season is sit down with Joey and ask those dumb questions as far as what do you want from me?, what do I need to improve?, how do I fit in with those plans? etc etc If I didn't feel I could achieve that, or didn't get a decent answer, I wouldn't sign.

From what I know about how NBL Players are treated post season (via talking to former players), if the Sixers didn't think anything of him they wouldn't answer his calls.

The ball is in Creeky's court. I have faith in Creeky and believe he should be aiming to be the next captain after Gibbo.

Reply #474252 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Also , Schenscher soon to put pen to paper.
Most likely 2 new imports

Reply #474265 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Do people forget M.C. is only 22 years old??? He has a lot of developing to do and his ability has the potential take him anywhere.
This is a great signing by the club, to sign a player who will have a break out season, if not this year, the next...mark my words!!!

Reply #474271 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Tru Blue, you are correct. Creeky is 22!

At the risk of getting shot down, have a look at other guy's in the twilight of their career and then compare their performance now to when they were 22.

As a aside, how do you comfort a grammar nazi? You say there, their, they're...

Reply #474283 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Was it really 4 years ago that he asked Clarke to sign him or he'd go to AFL. Time goes by awfully fast, and sliding doors....

Reply #474286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher $90k, he wont take a 50% pay cut.

Reply #474288 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Hearing that Gary Ervin will not re-sign with the 36ers, hope that means Jason Cedee will sign with the 36ers. A lot better player with him on the court then Gary Ervin.

Reply #475994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing against Mitch creek.. But he was one of the best players in the WORLD not only just australia when he was a junior and not bagging him but he hasn't exactly progressed and really I think he is a good seabl player now with extreme athleticism. His game hasn't evolved with his athletic ability and he gets regularly shown up for that in nbl games. Until he shows he can demand more minutes and show the productivity I would be hesitant to lock him into a long term deal! But hey wish the kid luck coz he seems like a good bloke and gets on with the fans.

Reply #476013 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:08 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754