Bill Smith
Years ago

Al Green Speaks out about being fired.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/its-not-easy-being-green-or-green-and-gold/

It's not easy being Green, or green&gold

AL Green is disappointed "the Woodville family" is being harmed by the ongoing dispute between the Hall of Fame legend and the Warriors' young club president Benn McDonald.

Green, a dual NBL Championship winner, MVP and a dual-Woollacott Medallist in SA, last week was axed as Woodville’s men’s coach in the SA State League despite taking the team back to the finals last year, winning this year’s preseason tournament and having a side hotly favored to win the club’s first title since 2005.

The intricate story of how the situation unfolded is complicated further by legal action Green is taking against the club committee members and McDonald specifically for unfair dismissal and defamation of character.

It also is muddied by the fact a petition with 30 club member signatures can force a special general meeting at Woodville and supporters for Green apparently collected 100 signatures in two days.

These were forwarded to the club’s executive yesterday and required the calling of a special general meeting within 48 hours.

The Green ticket will try to effect a coup of the club’s management, with a new president while reinstating Green as Warriors’ men’s coach.

“It’s not the Woodville family,” Green said.

“This is just between two people and I apologise to the Woodville family for bringing this situation into Woodville’s house.”

But Green feels there is no other course of action after last week being dismissed from his position as head coach by McDonald.

Green said problems first emerged when he sought a contract extension.

“I don’t feel it is ethical to try and recruit players for next year and beyond if you don’t know you are going to be in the position yourself,” he said.

He said McDonald had been resistant to an extension but Woodville’s management had agreed to have a sub-committee look at Green’s request and to hear its subsequent recommendations.

The sub-committee suggested Green should be reappointed and have the contract extension.

Green, who as the club’s vice-president has access to Woodville’s financials, said he was willing to take a pay cut to accommodate retaining the job.

When McDonald still baulked, Green admits he began gathering numbers for a coup of the executive.

It appears McDonald “got wind” of the plan and sacked Green as coach.

Woodville issued a statement at its club website on Thursday saying: “The Woodville District Basketball Club management committee wish to advise that it has released Al Green from all roles with the club, ABA Men’s Head Coach and Vice President as of this morning 8-May-2014.”

None of the club’s Facebook pages has carried anything further on the decision or given any explanation.

Green, who won Woollacott Medals with West Adelaide in 1982 and North Adelaide in 1985, has coached at a number of SA clubs but gave many years of service to Division 2 club Torrens Valley.

When he crossed to Woodville, he was appointed vice-president and was at the forefront of a revival at the ailing club.

Woodville’s website today still was showing Green as vice-president.

“I’m disappointed because Woodville is my family now,” he said.

“When I came over, I brought about 40 people across from Torrens Valley.

“I wanted this to be my basketball home.”

Topic #34443 | Report this topic

Big Willy  
Years ago

Wow. How is Benn in a place of power to begin with? Guy has ego issues enough as it is when given a whistle. Shame to see that Al gets shafted after all the improvements he's made to the club as a whole, and not just the men's team. Will be interesting to see what happens, and what Benn has to say on the subject

Reply #474036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Al peekaboo Green.

Reply #474037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What improvements has Al made to the club as a whole Big Willy?

Reply #474046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Al loves Woodville family? Coached 12s last year and deserted them. Coached 18s this year and barely showed up, if he did was late and did once they started winning and then deserted them. Loves the Woodville family. He didn't get the contract he wanted mid season so put in motion to take down Benn. Loves Woodville. That article is a crock of shit.

Reply #474051 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Sounds like the same sort of dramas that go on in many associations....

Reply #474057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

40 people include his new board I bet so he can do what he wants. Like Torrens Valley and where are they now?

Reply #474060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

051, that is the sanest thing that has been written about this whole saga.

Gullible Woodville people are blinded by the fact that he's Al Green. Fact is most clubs wouldn't even consider him in the first place, even for a junior team.

Reply #474062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask South what happened there. Ask experienced coaches what they secretly thing of Al Green the coach. Then the person.

Reply #474063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I don't feel it is ethical to try and recruit players for next year and beyond if you don’t know you are going to be in the position yourself," he said.

As an outsider it doesn't seem right that Al is asking for an extension when your a third of the way thru a season. It's done at the end of the season, period.

Was another team calling Al to coach? I don't see this happening to be honest, and I'm not having a go at Als coaching ability, it's 8 games into a season.

My question is to Al is does he think its ethical trying to recruit players for next year when you're favourites to win this year. Which players in this year team are you replacing?

And being part of the Clubs management isn't it his first priority to develop players from Juniors into the Seniors team?

I don't get it.

Reply #474067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When did the revival start? From an outsiders point of view their teams appear as bad as they ever have!

Recruiting players into your ABL program is not a club revival! Nor does it show you can coach! Just shows that you can use your connections to recruit and win games.

I love a good 'one sided story'!

Reply #474068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There boys are going ok don't rat on them completely. Girls yeah they are bad.

Reply #474070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the level of a 'revival' though?

Reply #474072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guess it just shows Al's ego and self importance as he would of fed all that to Boti. Probably ghost wrote it!

Reply #474073 | Report this post

Sunsets  
Years ago

Big willie good post looking after one of your American mates!!!

This is Boti looking after one of his mates to, it's about time this dead wood that has poisoned SA basketball (boti included) for too long go into retirement, stop sucking funds out of clubs to boost your falling egos and just live off your memories of when you were good!

Reply #474075 | Report this post

Simple  
Years ago

Club obviously realised he is not worth all the cash when they need to spend on developing juniors
This is obvious as Green would not be cheap
Take a pay cut ?
Please?

Reply #474076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A well written article there....sponsored by Al green. What a load of crap! From the looks of it, Benn has implemented the long standing rule that the club doesn't give long term (more than 1 year) coaching contracts and Al hasn't got his way so has decided to take everyone down with him! Can I ask a couple of things...

1 - Why does Al now care so heavily about who is on the board? he is still only the interim VP after taking over from Kym clark who left for family reasons and Al was HIGHLY RELUCTANT to take on the position and was trying to get someone else to take over for him...

2 - Of these apparent 100 signatures, how many of these people were actually at the AGM when Benn was voted in by a very reasonable amount?? there would have been 50 people maximum in the room that day!

3 - How can the board be judged on there performance already? it has had control for less than a year and has spent most of that time fixing the mess that the previous board left by all accounts. surely there hasn't been enough time to actually make that judgement accurately.

Re reading the 'article' this comment says it all for me. "Green said problems first emerged when he sought a contract extension." Going back to my original comment, the club has never given more than a 1 year deal. so that to me smells of Ego, and not getting what I want so ill just take down the board to get my way!!

Now my own personal view and I feel im more than entitled to have one after almost 20 years of service to the club is that the people that have signed this petition are a contributing to making this club's instability after it has had nothing but positive signs (while still requiring more work i.e. girls program etc ill admit) with people working hard together from the last AGM and even before. You should all be ashamed if you have put your name to this crap as it should have been addressed at the end of the season....WHEN IT IS ALWAYS ADDRESSED!!!

Ill guarantee 1 thing each and every player that pulls on a woodville jersey is playing for there team mates, the logo on that jersey and the enjoyment of playing basketball, NOT FOR THE F*****G BOARD AND NOT FOR 1 MANS EGO!!!

GROW UP FOR THE SAKE FOR THE CLUB - PLEASE

Reply #474084 | Report this post

Sunsets  
Years ago

If he is willing to take a pay cut! He is obviously getting paid far to much in the first place, people like Al need to get out of state basketball, only interested I their bank accounts

Reply #474092 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

something about jealousy and tall poppies

Reply #474093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its abl basketball not the nba. Just wait till the end of the season al before u chase players. Have to re-sign part way through season in order to recruit players - what a load of rubbish!!!

Reply #474096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok Southern - the bar has been set...

Reply #474109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not bad for a bloke who was getting more money himself than the CABL salary cap....

At no time has he cared for the club.
Shows up when it suits him, has done nothing to develop the boys program but more than willing to take credit for the work of people like Corey and others.
He has dont nothing for the girls program.
As somebody typed above, other than recruit players for the CABL teams what has he done???

He is manipulative, and is more than willing to stab the current board in the back to get what he wants, and what is even worse is that he did it to the last board too!!

When will people wake up and look through the curtains!!
He is a cancer that needs to be removed. All nice and shiney to your face, but behind your back he is the killer in the night.

Good to see Boti doing his normal great journalistic work, in Benn bashing (not that we dont all like a good Benn bashing). Other than reading how Benn is horrible and that Al loves Woodville, I got nothing out of that blog by Boti.

Reply #474110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone think that giving one year deals for a head coach puts pressure on them to perform immediately which may be driving the desire to recruit. Would a longer term deal to a coach saying yes we see some initial pain but we want you to develop a team primarily from within rather than from outside.

Reply #474117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He had one good year does that deserve a multi year extension? Had 2 sub .500 seasons prior to that. Did he deserve it?

Reply #474134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depends what the expectation was. Depends what the instructions were regarding playing juniors or go buy a premiership. Without knowing what the KPI's were it is a question which can't be answered

Reply #474135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

taking legal action against volunteers!! says a lot!
if he had just got on with the job and kept getting wins he would have got his extension

Reply #474140 | Report this post

State leaguer  
Years ago

legal action??
Why was he removed from all positions? Surely more than just asking for a multi year deal

there must be a lot more to this than what has been written in the media

Reply #474141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep we have heard one side of the story but not the other

Reply #474142 | Report this post

MAGIC MOMENT  
Years ago

Need a Telimovie about it - Sad to see such toilet paper journasensationalism - read and wipe your Boti with it!

Reply #474143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

* One good year and 2 sub-500 seasons prior to that?

- Preliminary final last year and top of the table this year at the time of getting terminated. I haven't heard anything about a player revolt or anything of that nature. In fact, to the contrary I have heard that the players are behind Al.

* Getting more money than the entire ABL cap?

- What money Al was on is something between Al and the Board. So the comment about the money must be coming pretty close to home.

* Shows up when it suits him?

- We are talking about the termination of the ABA Mens Head Coach position. Did he miss trainings or games? I haven't heard anything like this from the Board. In fact the members haven't heard anything from the Board.

* Doesn't show up enough to U12 or U18 trainings?

What does this have to do with termination of the ABA Mens Head Coach Position? At all clubs there would be people who work harder and more tirelessly than the ABA Coach but that doesn't mean the ABA Coach should be terminated.

* Boti Nagy is biased and his blog is rubbish

- What is biased about the blog? It doesn't contain any personal attack against Benn.

All I took from the blog was that Al asked for a contract extension. His reasons were recruitment related but that might be a polite way of saying that "I do not trust those in power who may have another agenda". What Al's motives were are a matter for him and the Board's reasons for not accepting are a matter for them.

A contractual dispute resulted between Al and Benn which has resulted in conflict.

The Board chose to terminate Al and a considerable amount of members do not support that decision as evidenced by 100 members signing a petition in 2 days!

At the end of the day if anyone thinks that a player or coach is in the ABA for money they are crazy. There is no money in the ABA!

Members are allowed to have a view and a say. They will either support Benn or they will support Al.

Arguing members don't have a right to have a say or shouldn't sign a petition is the same as arguing that they should blindly support the Board just because they are the Board.

Such arguments in support of Boards/Governments have been argued against for years (study the life of Nelson Mandela if you believe that just because a Government says it is right doesn't mean it is right).

Rather than sling mud at Al or Benn (by posters obviously with a vested interest because seriously, with all due respect, do many people care enough about ABA let alone ABA politics enought to post on this topic) lets let the Woodville members decide whether they are happy with the Board's decision or not.

Reply #474146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously you have a vested interest too if your theories are correct. More spin from Al camp.

Reply #474150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is the entire point. I would say 99 percent of persons who post in this topic have a vested interest. Does anyone else care?

Where is the spin?

Reply #474156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering Al admitted in Boti's blog he started a takeover of board think he's not saying what needs to be said to get support?

Reply #474158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You say Al's motives are a matter for him and the board yet you hypothesise the players are behind him and actually quote him "I do not trust those in power who may have another agenda".

Now I don't know if the players are behind him or not but if I were a player I wouldn't want my coach demanding an extension if his reason was he needs to recruit better players. Would you?

If what Boti has reported is true and Al asked for a contract extension - which the Board correctly denied. For Al to quit on his team, his club and then try and organise some sort of coup against the Board is not right on any level of life.

Totally agree that no one should deny any member the right to vote, bit rich you bringing in my main man Nelson Mandela when another person is acting like a Dictator like Idi Amin!

Reply #474160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Al didn't quit, he was fired

Reply #474165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't quote Al at all re his motives. I just said that it is possible that Al's quoted motives re recruiting players might be him just being polite. Boti's latest blog today provides a less subtle version behind Al's 'possible' motives.

Al quit on his team and his club? Spin from the "Benn camp"? Pot kettle black?

Like I said, rather than get into Al versus Benn on Hoops, lets let the members decide. Who is acting like the dictator out of the two can be decided by the members democratically.

Reply #474166 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Who cares? Keep it internal and stop bickering online. That goes to both camps. You are all making yourselves look unprofessional and putting your biased thoughts on a blog is a waste of your time as much as I am wasting replying to this.
#whogivesacrap

Reply #474167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti is a wanker!!

Reply #474168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When nodding heads were set up to support a specific group so that group had the numbers the only thing that could go wrong was if one of the nodding heads started to believe he was more than a nodding head and started to exercise his power. What is happening at the moment has more to do with who's ego is the biggest and precious little about coaching or leadership. Perhaps both should go and some money spent on what's left of the junior girls program and some direction given to the women's program where despite modest improvement their CABL team sits on its regular win/loss ratio. Lastly a code of ethics is sorely needed in the club with regards player/ coach standards

Reply #474189 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What is biased about the blog? It doesn't contain any personal attack against Benn.
I thought Boti presented a biased story, and certainly didn't paint the current president in a very positive light.

Sounds like a mess from both sides in Woodville to me.

(I have no horse in this race, don't know either person involved, nothing to do with Woodville, and I'm usually accused of defending Boti here.)

Reply #474193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You ok Isaac

Both of them should walk away, clearly don't have the club at heart even though they say they do

Reply #474202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see boti has put another puff piece on his crap blog today attacking Benn! He obviously feels sorry for Al as he has been sent packing from many clubs himself!

Reply #474206 | Report this post

Clydetheglide  
Years ago

Great opportunity to split the club. Maybe call the new club west warrior magicville.

Reply #474210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or West warrior magicville torrens valley?

Reply #474211 | Report this post

Clydetheglide  
Years ago

We could turn this into a "name the new club" competition. Would be a lot more interesting than most of the crap written above.

Reply #474212 | Report this post

FUBR  
Years ago

Would suggest that something is wrong with the club constitution,,, Should not have employees on the board! Certainly not as a VP. Would be conflict of interest to have employees approving own pay raise or contract terms, extremely poor club governance.

Reply #474220 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

Western Woodville Valley of Bearcats?

Reply #474223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously people. Al and Ben have their flaws, everyone does! We are all flawed human beings but both guys are overall good blokes and I hope they can get together and work this out for the good of Woodville.

BTW isn't Ben a Torrens Valley guy anyway?

Reply #474225 | Report this post

mix and match  
Years ago

Not quite.
Benn was with woodville juniors before umpiring at higher levels & then played a little senior hoops with torrens valley in senior basketball but not for long

Reply #474229 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

hold on, this isn't a Southern Tigers thread?

Reply #474255 | Report this post

SeaHawk  
Years ago

Poor Vera Craig would be turning in her grave seeing what is happening to her once wonderful club.

Reply #474260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have neither a view in favour or not of Al Green - I've never met the bloke. But from my perspective, as a Member of the Woodville Basketball club, it is about understanding what is going on at my club. Hiding under the veil of legality (e.g. 'confidentiality), and sending a delayed message to members ( at least a week after the firing of Al Green) accompanied by a clear statement of 'no-reply' in the email message, leads one to the conclusion that the Committee is not interested in engaging with its members to determine priorities and actions that affect the success of Woodville Warriors.

The request to meet with the Committee (i.e, the Board) was made by members - who yes, did vote for Ben, but for the purposes of the Board providing some 'reasoning' behind its decision. Is it about the 'contractual' arrangements or not? As members, we seek 'transparency' in decision making that is all - nothing more and nothing less.

Reply #474591 | Report this post

RR  
Years ago

Think its a bit pathetic to try and compare the situation with Idi Amin (a man responsible for 100s of thousands of deaths) and Nelson Mandela (who spent 27 years in jail for fighting against apartheid). Who you going to cite next, Ghandi, Jesus?

Its only a game people! The tender egos at the club will realise that soon and all will be right in WarriorLand again.

And for all those bagging our club, anyone see the results at State champs this weekend? Yes, like all families we fight amongst ourselves sometimes, but we love our green and gold and we fight on regardless. GO WARRIORS!

Reply #474946 | Report this post

Warrior  
Years ago

A lot of you posting don't know what has gone on. Yes you've had one side of the story - from Al. What you have not seen is the dictatorship going on since the new Board came into power. When Ben was elected many knew what the outcome would be - and here it is.

You can not question him - he knows everything. You can not suggest things to him - he knows everything.

The communication from the club has gone to pretty much zero when it was a very active Facebook page and website. This last few days Benn has changed all the settings on the member created page - and sacked all of the admins who devoted their time to communicating all things Warrior related. Now no-one can post unless he has vetted it.

The story says their Facebook page is quiet on the subject - yes of course it is because Benn deletes anything written and sends out letters to the volunteers telling them they are not required.

A club is run by the volunteers - NOT the Board - so Benn has made so many errors in judgement in the past few months that it is no surprise to anyone involved with this club that it was just a matter of time that members would say enough is enough.

This club is in serious danger UNTIL we get rid of one person - and that person is not Al Green.

Reply #479831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good call changing the people running Facebook considering children were invited to SGM and one if the saviours started a 'not for Facebook' type conversation which got out of hand. Bad Benn for trying to stop that type of behaviour.

Reply #479859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warrior seriously open your eyes and actually see what has happened over the last few months. Get out of your comfort zone, stop looking at Al's past achievements in awe and go talk to some people that know the entire story. trust me you may learn something.

Reply #479863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warrior, you are so naïve it is scary. Maybe find out the real story before shooting off on here. The inner circle know what really went on. Clearly you are on the outside looking in.

Reply #479864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No matter which camp won, the club was going to lose through self serving behaviour being rewarded and encouraged.

Reply #479871 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong warrior Wrong warrior in may ways

Two sides to every story so maybe some need to listen to all facts.

What I can not understand is how 1 person is the so called blame for what has happened.

Reply #479884 | Report this post

Warrior  
Years ago

So the same person posts several times just to make their own story seem to have credibility lol.

I know exactly what went on. And for the record - nothing has ever been put on the Facebook page that a 'child' shouldn't see. There were a few people that started bad mouthing other clubs - I saw that. That was childish and uncalled for - BUT if you knew what you are talking about you would know which 'side' they are on - so perhaps get your facts straight before you try and challenge me.

The page was very well moderated by several admins. I have not looked at Al's achievements and until recently was not on any side. All I care about is the club - but the events of the last few weeks have caused me to choose a side.

I have personally been subjected to the dictatorship - so have many of my friends who have also volunteered for years at the club.

There are people who really care about the club - and some of those are indeed on the committee and I feel so bad for them.

A change is desperately needed - and if you actually can't see that - then you have been blinded by the BS and when you see the light (ie know the truth) - then tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

Reply #479899 | Report this post

Warrior  
Years ago

And for the record also - IF parents decide to bring their kids to a meeting (like they did on Sunday)- that is their business not yours.

You have to be a teenager to have a Facebook account - so where are the children who can not be allowed to read that there will be a meeting?

Reply #479901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warrior...we are not all the same person. I posted once calling you naïve. I have no idea who the other posters are.

An IP check by Isaac could confirm this.

Nice try though.

Give it up, you are fighting a losing battle. Now if you don't mind, can you stop trying to drive a wedge between those of us who actually love our club rather than those of you who are just out for themselves?

Reply #479902 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats on being so loyal to Al. Hope you all enjoy your new club. Forrestville isn't it?

Reply #479924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CHanging name to Al Blue

Reply #479926 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Isaac, in ten years of Hoops SA has there been a local club which has managed to avoid a 'crisis' thread like this?

Reply #479987 | Report this post

Warrior  
Years ago

(Mod: Deleted at author's request.)

Reply #484054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isnt Benn secretary, abl coach, u23 coach, JDO and president ? that's five votes right there lol.

Reply #484060 | Report this post

eagle rock  
Years ago

Eddie everwhere benn been it all lol so now we crack somebody leading from the front

Reply #484064 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Just give it a rest!!! Al gone !! Benn still president !! Woop woop

Reply #484068 | Report this post

Warrior  
Years ago

Reply #484165 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe I am just a person saying get on with it! Maybe my woop woop was thankfully this has finished. Maybe I am a Benn supporter or maybe I just support the Board on the choice they had to make. Maybe there are heaps of people with delusional mind. Maybe its you that is delusional as to 76 voters 71 votes were.
Al has gone to Forestville. Time to move forward. Those that follow well follow those that stay then stay. Everyone has a choice to make their own decision. And you do not have the right to call people delusional with out knowing the!

Reply #484266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just means 49% know and 51% don't want to know. Continued downhill racing for the warriors amid the egos and self absorbed.

Reply #484267 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe its 51% that know and 49% that don't want to know

Reply #484268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe you should get off here and all go throw chairs at each other!!

Reply #484290 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

So the same person posts several times just to make their own story seem to have credibility lol.
Warrior, all the posts between your comment above and your post before that came from separate IPs.

Libertine, every club has copped it one way or another, but I can't remember significant board/in-fighting posts from all clubs. We've seen them from Norwood, Southern and Woodville. Can't remember any from Forestville or Sturt or South? Central seems inevitable but more so about coaching ranks? North, not sure. I assume it's just how politicking as enacted by amateurs plays out?

Reply #484317 | Report this post

Warrior  
Years ago

Reply #484548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who says Al is there next year?

Maybe Woodville can merge with a club with better administration!!

Reply #484556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure how much he controls of the communication channels between the board to the members but I looked on the website and noticed the information about the meeting is gone, almost looks like it didn't even happen although no other past articles get deleted, make up your own mind what that says

Reply #484562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bigger problem at woodville is with their women's coach

Nooooooo good

Reply #484571 | Report this post

killer  
Years ago

Warrior. Don't put my name to this crap please. I haven't written in this post for months and don't plan to again and I most certainly don't put your name on here!! Its over now, please give it a rest and let things happen. if nothing changes you really think I would vote for the board again? I want to see the club improve but also believe that the current board hasn't had adequate time to put anything significant in place or if they had, true results wouldn't be known at this point. The club will not implode, the coaches that have bailed and left the kids in there teams hanging have already been replaced with more than enough volunteers as well as the club being contacted from a school asking if there were spots for multiple under 10 boys that are interesting in playing. Things will be changing for the better. get a new hobby

Reply #484576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Name and shame the coaches that have bailed in the kids

Reply #484577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just putting it out there, but Benn mentioned legal fees - you do realise that Al was sueing the club.
The bloke who apparently loves the club, was sueing them for pretty much everything the club had.
Why would he not want to mention that?????

Reply #484583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im just baffled anybody would want to support somebody trying to pretty much make a club go belly up financially (taking the club and board members to court) - how can people support a selfish financially minded individual rather than support your club???
People may go to a club because he is there, but he will take the money and do nothing (eg the under 12 boys he coached when they were winning, but as soon as they started losing he was no where to be seen).

Reply #484584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't you all see the big picture? Woodville have got to get over this thing they have with drama and realize that the recent rise in success ironically started when Al got to the club. Sure the girls didn't get much at first from it but as the men's ABA coach his responsibility wasn't the girls program.
Yes, Benn has done heaps to help the women's and girls program's and that's something which nobody can or should deny, however, from what I've heard from independent sources is that more people have left the club because of him than because of Al. Just ask West Adelaide's youth league program.
From my point of view it's borderline insanity to get rid of your clubs biggest draw card who has done his job to the point of building a team who should and rightfully are in the hunt for a title.
In my opinion the board has done the club a dis-service by even opening the club to this and I hope Al wins this law suit and that the club and parents at the club wake up and realize that woodville has firstly been a place where anyone who wanted to belong to something special could find a home there. Now it's all about the W's and the board not about the kids and the love of the game.

Reply #484588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds to me it's all about a selfish yank that lines his pocket and talks the talk but doesn't actually do much developing! And the blind mice that follow

Don't worry it happens at other clubs to

Reply #484604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The issues at Woodville run much deeper than that. The focus has been on the wrong coach and the failure of due diligence by the committee. BSA need to be involved and set in place practices that need to be adhered to by coaches.

Reply #484609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warrior complaining about the club spending money on legal fees is hilarious - they wouldn't have to spend that money if there weren't legal issues being thrown at the club!

Coaches leaving mid season obviously don't care at all about Woodville - I'd go so far to say that the W's are better off without such people at the club.

Reply #484614 | Report this post

Blah Blah Blah  
Years ago

BSA aren't going to help they aren't much more organised.

Perhaps its grand design maybe Benn speaking of a merger is the expected future? Look out W's you might be the Western Warriors or Woodville Magic soon.

Reply #484628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You cannot have a coach who was removed from coaching juniors at another club as a senior coach especially when that coach starts a relationship with one of his players ten or more years younger than himself and expect other coaches/people/players to stay at the club.

Reply #484642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a bunch of muppets

Reply #484645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

coaches leaving mid-season has nothing to do with love of the club because everyone there bleeds green and gold, woodville WAS a family. It's a loud and clear message to the board.

The club needs to recognize that something is wrong and has been for a long time. when was the last time the club went through a year without drama? and if you want to look at why the club isn't as strong as it should be look at the decade or close to where the girls program went from good to bad to terrible. it didn't start with Al or Benn but long long before that. Al was the start of a healing process which has now been ruined and if Woodville and Western merge they will lose everything countless people have worked for.

Reply #484647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not from WOodville. However, any coach that leaves there team midseason over something that is totally unrelated to the kids they coach is simply putting themselves before the kids. It's not about you coaches, it's about the kids. Coach out the year, don't leave them in the lurch. If you still choose to leave then Woodville is better off without you!

Reply #484652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rubbish - TRUE Woodville coaches would still be there, workin hard for the CLUB for what's important - the kids they are teaching the game to. The selfish would quit. Good riddance, and good luck Woodville.

Reply #484653 | Report this post

Warrior  
Years ago

Reply #485091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There can be no moving forward until Benn departs, there will be no improvement until Benn departs and in the interim Benn needs to give up all coaching roles

Reply #485204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he cant find a secretary I think you maybe need to look in the mirror, look at the above posts and that might help explain why it is hard to find volunteers to invest 100s of hours as Ben does for no reward other than random, anonymous comments and sniping here.

Reply #485205 | Report this post

food for thought  
Years ago

The funny thing about the coaches passes situation warrior, was that the BSA person at the meeting apologised after as it was BSA who had not got them back to the club to distribute. #justsayin

Another point, the board made the vote on the contract... not benn. He also didn't have a vote. this has been stated before

This is very old now, how's about you just let the club do what they need to and stop coming on here being a keyboard warrior and saying the same stuff that nobody has been listening to for ages now. your the only one STILL going on about this.

Maybe just enjoy the men's success as they are top and looking the goods? just a thought

Reply #485218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Thanks killa

Reply #485222 | Report this post

an  
Years ago

Getting tired of this crap move on

Reply #485227 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:19 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754