Coach
Years ago

How to help a chronic bad passer Version 2

Hey guys

Just wanted to say a big thank you for all your help. I took the advice of some of the posters on my last comment, and did some one on one technique and decision making drills with the player, then in pairs, then with four and finally with a 5v5 half court game at our most recent training session and he improved out of sight in the game! Every inbound pass found the target on the chest (and it was always the best target) and he only made two poor in-game passes (well down on his usual cough-up tally).

So just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who took time to give me advice. It really helped me to put in place a good training program for him that i will now work on for the next few weeks to help him to continually improve

Topic #34458 | Report this topic

watcher  
Years ago

what drills were the most effective?

Reply #474297 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

Well first i started off with just checking his form and how long he could give a chest pass.

Then i brought in another player who i needed to work with to improve his offensive footwork (ie getting in front, calling for the ball) and i gave him five spots on the court to run to, and when he reached each spot he was to receive a chest pass. Anything other than hitting the player on the chest would have constituted a lap.

We did that for a few minutes, then i brought in a defender. He now had to find a way to get it to the offence while avoiding the defender (also helping the other player move his feet). Did that for a couple of minutes then did two on two-trying to teach him how to find the best option and get his teammates to call where they wanted the ball.

Finally, i did a five on five half court game where dribbling was not allowed. so all 10 players had to work on moving their feet to get clear of the defence and to make sure they gave off a good pass. That eventually went to a full court 5v5 no dribble game.

The boys complained they were playing netball, but the difference in all of their passing (especially the one i was working with) at this weeks game was out of sight. barely a bad pass all game!

Reply #474322 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Thanks for the feedback.

Reply #474326 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

good outcome all round,

if you found those drills good, there is another variation, allow the payer with the ball 3 bounces , but they cannot do the "Me me me " of head down dribble forward charge to the ring - so beloved of parents who call out "go all the way - glorious fruit of my loins ".

Explain they are only allowed to bounce the ball if the defence is too good for them to get a pass off ( GREATLY emphasis that they are actually admitting that the defensive player is better at defence than they are at offence !!!) - and they can then dribble sidways or to the rear ( or backturn) to avoid the 5 second holding the ball call, and that they must keep their head up[ as they are actually looking to pass - this will get rid of the "netball" accusation, and also get all of your players to act like pure point guards .

(there is a further option of them completing their dribble-to-pass option and then if they have not found a pass, turning their back totally to the defence - which is a silent signal for another player to come running at high speed for a curl past them for a hand-off and then the first player does a frantic reverse turn and dives to the ring for the pass back - the two defensive players essentially both screen each other out of the play - this was a fast break press-breaker drill for a old time US hall of fame college coach - I forget who ATM - Miller ?)

In the full court - You can also allow them one ( max 2) dribble drives to the basket for layups ( not jump shots - Layuips)

Reply #474334 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

off topic - but just checked out my notes - yes a Ralph Miller Oregon State drill - only coach inducted into Hall of Fame between 1986 and 1991 when Bob knight got put in - there are no names on that list that did not know how to actually coach and teach players to play better.

Reply #474342 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:55 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754