Make that an A+
Years ago

BSA and Referee/Umpires Take Note

Was out at Morphett Vale Stadium for a couple games this morning and again tonight and noted that 1 Referee who I have a feeling has not been running on a court for a long time was imo kicking a bag of goals.

Last game of night was 18 Div 1 and was keeping up easily even after possibly 8 or 9 games.
Picked up more 3 in the key, travel calls than most regular umpires on a Thurday or Friday night would in a month of games.
Keep players informed with a smile, was polite, firm friendly and switched on even in the last game.

To the Referees that sit their and tell the bench before the game I just want to be somewhere else listen up.

You bought into the program, sure the sideline jockeys riding your asses can be painfully rude, sure its not great money but YOU bought in! Remember its a game everyones there for the round ball and the game, make it your challenge to be as switched on and interactive with the game and your will earn some real respect.

I know one Ref got a shit load of compliments tonight.

Topic #34472 | Report this topic

Annon  
Years ago

Refs at M Vale were great tonight .

Reply #474597 | Report this post

Hoops Packer  
Years ago

Ray keaney!

Reply #474608 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

better than other stadiums ?

Reply #474621 | Report this post

Coeezy  
Years ago

If it's the great man Ray Keaney, then I could understand why. Always fair, no ego whatsoever and I he was a decent coach when I was playing district for me too.

Reply #474630 | Report this post

Coeezy  
Years ago

Always fair, no ego whatsoever and I thought he was a decent coach for me when I was playing district as well.****

Reply #474631 | Report this post

BSA Observer  
Years ago

All coaches that I spoke to advised the standards were much better than the average weeknight games in the past.

Reply #474632 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

must have been better standard than Pt Adelaide this morning. A 16's game was abandoned by mutual agreement between opposing coached due to the poor standard and lack of control of the refs. Not a good state of affairs. It will be interesting to see BSA's response....fine both teams for forfeiting??

Reply #474633 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

must have been better standard than Pt Adelaide this morning. A 16's game was abandoned by mutual agreement between opposing coached due to the poor standard and lack of control of the refs. Not a good state of affairs. It will be interesting to see BSA's response....fine both teams for forfeiting??

Reply #474634 | Report this post

Crikey  
Years ago

Far out both coaches agreed? Be interesting how that works out - what group and State or Reserves?

Reply #474635 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I beg to differ, SA standard of officiating has deteriorated to a new low during the games I have witnessed in the last four weeks (ABL and Junior District games) including this weekends State Champs. Gibson - you are breeding a generation of precious crystal-like figurines that are sucking the life out of basketball from players and spectators alike.

Reply #474636 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

was a 16's state game, play off for 5th/6th so no real meaning. I think Mavs may have been up by 2 when they all walked. Thankfully the next boys game (18 state) was well refereed, not the same umps tho.

Reply #474637 | Report this post

Big T  
Years ago

Nothing better than getting a compliment about your reffing. Not many people do it, so it's really appreciated.

Glad one bloke at least is doing a great job.

Reply #474646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If either of those two coaches were at our club they would not be coaching again!!

There are ways of making a protest and that is not it.

The teams should be suspended for x weeks for bringing the game into disrepute.

I hope BSA come down heavy on this!

Reply #474648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turn it up...disrepute??? Haha!!! If they felt their players safety was at risk than they have a duty of care to call the game off! And if both coaches felt the same it must have been bad!

Had they just called the game off to go down to the local pub together, then yes, their clubs should be asking questions!

Disrepute...can't stand the word! That and surreal!

Reply #474649 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Rubbish, one of the refs involved has been a blight for years and yes it is about time BSA dealt with him

Reply #474650 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

648 find out some facts before you shoot your mouth off

think you will find that if fines are levied the accompanying letters from both Coaches will dispel them being carried out.

The umpire involved has no place on a basketball court at this level

BSA need to take urgent action against this embarrassment in a grey shirt

Reply #474680 | Report this post

Mimas 53  
Years ago

She does a great job as a Ref doesn't she "Make that an A+" Always know our kids are safe when she is on the court. Others need to refresh

Reply #474684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with 648. What facts are we missing which justifies teams abandoning a game especially at state champs. BSA should go down heavy on the clubs, the coaches and the teams!!

Reply #474686 | Report this post

Make that an A+  
Years ago

Mimas 53 is on the money Refs been around a long time and for someone coming back from a break she kept a cracking pace for at 10+ hr? shift

Reply #474689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't be serious. Just because I have a good ref at a game doesn't mean I can't play hard and over step what is acceptable. Just because I have the greatest AFL umpire doesn't mean it will stop me hitting someone if I want to. The coaches have a huge say on the safety on the court - by controlling their team rather just passing it off as an umpiring issue.

I hate that people throw in the duty of care blaming others when they should be looking in the mirrors for the real problem!!

Reply #474728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like typical referreeing, blame everyone else, no accountability.

Reply #474752 | Report this post

AHOS  
Years ago

Refereeing standard over the course of the weekend was poor. I say this understanding a game can not go ahead without them, but far to many interpretations on screen, channelling to sideline & hand check. The problem does not only lie with the senior refs, but the juniors as well. If a senior isn't consistent on a call, how can a junior working with him/her be?
BSA need to do more than send out instructions before a tournament on key notes. "See it call it" was a farce with some of the decision making.

Reply #475372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor and disgusting again please learn how to communicate from supervisors to refs Vic refs do
However mvale was good dome was the worst by a mile

Reply #475594 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:03 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754