janitor
Years ago

Where to for Goulding?

Seems he wont be back in the NBL, is he really a realistic chance to get a permanent NBA gig?

I hear he has a British passport so the euro route is probably more realistic. The question is doeshe want to join a big team and get next to no minutes or join a smaller market club and be a starter??

What are youre predictions for our boy bubbles?

I personally hope he makes NBA despite the fact he probably wont getcourt time. Play with BB in phily?

Topic #34494 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA. Would love to see him pair up with Bairstow and Exum under BB.

Reply #475129 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

NBA, anyone got any updates? What teams has he worked out for?

Reply #475132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No chance to play NBA IMO, takes bad shots, is too lightly framed and cannot defend.

Reply #475139 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I love that face he makes every time he gets blown of a foul.

Reply #475140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon - sounds perfect for the NBA with that description

Reply #475144 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I love that face he makes every time he gets blown of a foul.

That "you're so full of shit for calling that non-foul, but I'm above all this so I will just be the bigger man" face?

Reply #475146 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

He is a chance at NBA imo. A year ago most of us doubted Delly and he has done well for himself. I'm not suggesting that he will be as good but I can see him making 11-13th spot on a roster or at worst Europe.

Reply #475148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have seen people people on here say Patty would never make it, Delly would never make it, Jawai would never make it, Anderson would never make it, Baynes would never make it. Yet they still seem to make it.

Reply #475151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly has a high basketball IQ, can defend, create for others as he is a great passer/playmaker and take and make the right shots.

Miles ahead of Goulding, and is also a stronger body type who can handle the rigors of an NBA season.

Reply #475152 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

As much as it would be great for Goulding to play NBA, i doubt he will, James Ennis was a better all round player and basically as good as a scorer and i dont think he will play NBA either.

The NBA can get plenty of guys like them at the same level through D-league, new college grads each year, etc and many of them dont get a shot, its very rare for guys to go from NBL to NBA, it s rare for any Aussie to play NBA, which is why its so good we have a few in their at the moment and a few more prospects coming through.

If you are not a first round draft pick its very tough to get a significant NBA gig, the % of players who do is low, it still happens and some have gone on to be stars but not many. Especially for those who didnt go to a US college or went to a smaller/lesser ranked college.

I think Olympic performances including against the USA would have helped Delly, Mills, Baynes (all went to college in the USA also) get a go and Bogut was a college star.

To me Goulding doesnt even make the Olympic/WC team or is battling out with guys like Gibson, D.Martin for the last guard spot and id personally take the other 2. So its unlikely he will have a major role and make a major impression at the WCs unless we have some main players pull out/get injured.

Reply #475155 | Report this post

janitor  
Years ago

We have some good guard options coming through at boomer level...

pure sg's: newley simmons drmic
combo guards: mills goulding exum gibson
pure pgs: delly cadee dmart tomlinson

Reply #475168 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"To me Goulding doesnt even make the Olympic/WC team or is battling out with guys like Gibson, D.Martin for the last guard spot and id personally take the other 2. So its unlikely he will have a major role and make a major impression at the WCs unless we have some main players pull out/get injured."

I think he is our second most dangerous offensive player. We'll have to disagree on this one.

Reply #475171 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Goulding is in my Boomers team.

Reply #475172 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Fair enough Paul, i personally think D.Martin and Gibbo are both better overall players so would take them, but yeas Goulding is a bigger scorer, can be inefficient though.

I think with Mills and Exum along with guys like Ingles, Newley our sg/sf scoring is pretty good. Remember if Ingles, Mills and Newley had stuck around the NBL they would be MVP contenders also and probably considered ahead of Goulding.

You want say 5 guards so for me its

PG Delly,Gibson or D. Martin (with Mills and Exum able to log PG minutes also)
SG Mills,Newley, Exum

I suppose you could call Newley a the back up sf to Ingles and include Goulding that way, so its not far fetched he is included.

Reply #475174 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

It all depends on how you build your team. I think he would make a great 6th man, scoring punch off the bench, put him in a line up with a couple of strong defenders so he isn't exposed on the defensive end and he'll succeeded.

Reply #475175 | Report this post

Poker  
Years ago

He's a star.
Just needs more experience and to develop his skills bag.
Hope he makes NBA, if he does I don't think he'll get minutes, sadly.

Really enjoyed him in the NBL.

Reply #475191 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Only got very small minutes Summer League last year. This season I hope they have a good look and give him a chance. Put him up against a couple of big wing defenders and see what happens.

As the 1st scoring option on his team he's entitled to take some iffy shots if he wants.

Reply #475197 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Goulding was a last minute call up to SummerLeague last year following his impressive workout with Irving who made some calls.

This year I would expect him to get some more opportunities.

Reply #475216 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He also didn't get his FIBA clearance until very late so missed all the pre-summer league training which hurt his minutes.

Reply #475220 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

England, not NBA and at best a bit player in Europe.

Look at Lische and he is a 25% upgrade on CG

Reply #475227 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Maxymoo you think Lisch is a 25 percent upgrade on Goulding? And you suggest England of all places?

You sir are a moron.

Goulding could play NBA on the right team in the right circumstance but Europe is more likely. I love the tall poppy syndrome going on here.. Be realistic about the guy, don't just hate on him because he flopped once or because hes a better player then anyone on this board will ever be

Reply #475248 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Don't worry about the 84 games a season with Goulding. He wiould be fine.
NBA players don't put in the training during the season that the NBL do. 3 hour training sessions twice a day up to 5-6 days a week is not uncommon
here. Then there are also weights session as well. Perhaps the NBL coaches think they have to do that with all the spare time available?
US coaches visiting Australia have always said it's an overtrained, under played league where injuries are mostly not in game time. Local fitness guys are agreeing. Smashing 'em at training is not a good move.
Wish we could do some stats on that. Wonder what our Aussie guys in the NBA think.

Reply #475249 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Don't know how people could say he shouldn't be in the Boomers.

He is a lock from my point of view.

The Boomers have needed a player like Goulding for some time.

And for the record, Gibson doesn't make my team for the WC's.

1/2 guards should be Mills, Delly, Goulding, Exum and D.Martin.

Reply #475254 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I don't know if gouldings a lock for lemanis but he is a lock for me. He would be good alongside Ingles/Newley

Reply #475255 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Well thanks for your insult GWB, sorry if I think Lische is the far better player - obviously I overlooked your position as a Boomer selector and NBA scout.

If he makes the NBA (and I think that is a big if) I don't think Goulding's ego is suited to cameos.

Reply #475260 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I'm with Macdub on choice of boomers guards. If Newley is selected at small forward to back up Ingles.

Reply #475273 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Team for world champs
Guards Dellavadova Mills Exum Goulding D Martin
Small Forwards Ingles Newley
Bigs Bairstow Anderson Baynes Jawai Motum

Reply #475280 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Dellavedova, Exum, D Martin.
Mills, Goulding
Ingles Newley
Anderson, Bairstow, Simmons
Baynes Jawai

The question i always have with a team that doesn't include Bogut, is who is going to be crashing the boards and pulling down rebounds? Baynes is strong but not a great rebounder, Jawai probably is the only 'reliable' rebounder on the team.I think he also provides that shot blocking presence inside.

Reply #475284 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Simmons definitely a legit chance at boomers spot would be in 11/12 man role. Imo could come down to him and Motum for that spot

Reply #475304 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:27 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754