Kent Brockman
Years ago

No one wants Luke?

Unless i missed something Schenscher was undrafted.

Hope Phil is on the phone right now if PR does not come off.

Topic #3452 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Off to Europe you'd think. The alternative is the rookie NBL salary which is nowhere near as attractive.

Probably will head the way of Anstey -- Europe and/or a decent paying gig in the NBL based on how he finds Europe.

Reply #39692 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

he might want a summer at home with his family before he becomes a basketball nomad! (We can dream can't we?)

Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke!

Reply #39695 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

He could have been a Laker .. intersting that they have taken Bynum !! 7ft .. has plenty to work on and does not like to train.

Surely a 21-22 yr old with some game and experience against grown men of his size would be a better role player?
Phil Jackson must be looking 2-3 yrs ahead of us all .

Reply #39698 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Skyhook...I was suprised that the Lakers took Bynum, however if Luke wasn't taken in 60 different picks why the hell should the Lakers have taken him with the 10th?

Reply #39703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

his dream is by no means over i would not have thought. he is certainly a late developer, and if he can strike up some good form in the CBA or a tough european league, then i am sure the scouts will continue to keep a very close eye on him. i remember him in under 18's he only had just started his skill development, and so his development would by no means be finished.
good luck luke!!...and keep working hard.

Reply #39707 | Report this post

red dog  
Years ago

with bynum, stoudamire and frye drafted today that makes 4 players from the touring arizona college team that played the sabres in 2002 to make the NBA if my memory is correct

Reply #39712 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

wrong Bynum!

Reply #39713 | Report this post

Chris Appicelli  
Years ago

It is pretty sad that he benches 185 lbs. once. He weighs 255. Come on Luke.

Reply #39716 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Will Bynum was about 5'10" - 6'. This Bynum (Andrew?) is 7'.

Confused me at first too.

Reply #39720 | Report this post

Bunny  
Years ago

Luke could have been a lot better but he's incredibly weak and from interviews it doesn't seem that he understands how important that is. This year it was terrible to see how easily he'd make a rebound only to have it easily ripped out of his hands time and time again. He's come a long way in regard to body mass but the strength hasn't come along with it.

Bloody shame really. Hopefully this setback makes him work a lot harder on it.

Reply #39723 | Report this post

Scooby Doo  
Years ago

Maybe if he told the media he was better than Gaze, Heal and Longley someone may have got him. It seems attitude counts over there

Reply #39733 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Not really all that surprised that he wasn't drafted, what surprised me was who was drafted at the bottom end. I thought by selected Luke, and then placing him in the development league there would be some chance he would be taken.

Here's to Europe I would suggest.

There are soooo many surprises in this draft it ain't funny....

Reply #39738 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Raymond Felton at 5? Villenevagonna at 7?

Reply #39746 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Dammmit thats a shame it would have been great to have Luke abd Andrew in the NBA but hopefully he will make some noise in Euro and get the scouts attention

Reply #39765 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Felton wasn't that much of a shock. My Cats have also said that they want a PG, and Felton isn't that far behind Paul and Williams.

As someone said earlier the surprises were in the 14-19 range. Green (who was projected a 5) sliding to Boston at 18. Ainge is cheering. Memphis would be over the moon with Warwick (what were the Magic thinking!!!). Danny Granger was a surprise to slide all that way. Great pickup for Indiana. Any of these players taking in this range have the potential to be ROY.

Chris Taft was once projected a top 5 pick slides all the way to mid second round. That big Euro slides from the top of the first round to near bottom of the second round.

Surprise for me was Nate Robinson being taken at 21 by Phoenix and then traded to NYK. Another shortarse in New York.

Maxiell was a little bit of a surpise at 26 for Detroit.

Blatche was a rock, the Lakers were thinking of taking him at 10, he slide all the way to 49 (Washington).

I think the Clippers may have made a mistake with their picks, whilst I think Boston did really well with Green and Gomes. The Cats did ok, but I'm a little miffed about picking Sean May when so many decent swingmen were still available and we already have Okafor at the 4. I would of preferred Granger or Green. Oh well.....

The Raptors also had a great draft, in grabbing a Roko, Joey Graham and Villaneuva.

Reply #39776 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Jasmine,

While i agree that the other 50+ picks could have been used for Schensher.. the point i was really making was that IMO Luke would have been a better utility for the Lakers. He is 7 ft can shoot it a little bit and with a little bit more conditioning could be a good/fair NBA rebounder.

ANDREW Bynum is 18 and tubby .. does not 'love' training and will take a few years to develop into anything resembling a decent shot from outside the key ie 10ft + ... BUT .. i guess Phil knows what he wants and has proven he can scout as good as any.
Just my opinion ..
Lets hope Schench can put in some good Boomers performances and Euro league stats too.

Reply #39788 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

luke is great and I am a big fan - but he reaches and does not body enough for NBA post ups

however at that level - i am sure he would learn

i am very surprised he did not get picked and would not give up just yet

Reply #39812 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

My social team in Mount Gambier could do with another big man if he's looking for a game. Tell him I'll even give up my singlet!

Reply #39816 | Report this post

bootleg  
Years ago

raptors did nothing in this draft there top two picks done nothing to the fill the holes that they have in there roster they only made them deeper at positions were they didn't need help very strange moves by them although there two first picks are good players they did nothing for there team.

On the bobcats they done well they are trying to bring in people with that winning attitude and if they keep drafting national champions they will have a team of them good work

I think the biggest surprise of the draft was Hakim warrick dropping all the way down to 18th unbelievable.

Reply #39841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why would someone want luke? he hasnt proven himself to be a solid player, he isnt strong. his only true strength is his touch, and his ability to play well in big games. he will play some decent minutes in europe, but will need to beef up if he wants to stand out over there.

Reply #39861 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The Raptors did themselves huge favours on this draft. This draft enables them to get rid of two locker room cancers in Rafer and Rose, and they will be get trades for both these players to help out the other positions. They have wanted to trade Rafer and Rose for ages, along with the Williams boys.

They got a great Euro point guard (a tall PG), the strongest SF/SG in the draft and the next Lamor Odom in Charlie.

bootleg, look at their roster, and understand why they pick those players. They want Rose and Rafer out and have drafted to do this. I'll stand by my quote of saying the Raptors had a great draft.

Reply #39874 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Just a question to through into the discussion here. Although Luke is a big body, he looks clumsy out there and his only pro I feel is he has nice touch around the rim.
Who would people prefer if they had the option of taking David Anderson or the Big Red???

Reply #39890 | Report this post

bustin treys  
Years ago

Luke should of went in the NBA draft last year when he was a big name after the Final Four appearance. Sometimes its all about timing.

Reply #39892 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

bootleg it is fairly clear that my main man TR has you well and truly covered for knowledge about hte ins and outs in the NBA....if i was a betting man i would say TR is coming back from a thumb injury.

Reply #39895 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

He can still be picked up as a free agent for next year can't he?

Reply #39911 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

He can still picked up as a free agent in the Summer leagues over there. We'll just have to wait and what happens, I know he needs to beef up a bit though to be able to bang bodies in the middle with some of the NBA talent!

Reply #39918 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

In some way Luke was better NOT to get selected in the 2nd round. He's get no money and is locked to that team, so he now can asked 30 NBA teams if they can use a red headed 7 footer instead of just one team, that may not actually need him now, but want's his rights which does him no favour in playing in the NBA.

It's not that no-one wants Luke, teams were interested. Don't worry, he will make a few summer league squads.

Reply #40010 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Looks like Luke may get an invite to the Bulls summer league squad. We all know that the Bulls like 7 foot Aussie centres.

The Bulls were hoping to get Charlotte's Eddie Basden, Michigan State's Alan Anderson, Iowa State's Jared Homan, along with Will Bynum and Luke Schenscher from Georgia Tech to attend their rookie-free agent camp that begins Saturday.

Reply #40050 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

TR,

Just checking out the Bulls website and it doesn't appear that Luke is named in their Mini-Camp team that will make up there Summer League Squad.

Here's the link if you want to have a look:
http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/summer_league_050630.html

Reply #40056 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Biz, the article I read the invite is from the Arlington Heights Daily Herald.

Article can by found on www.hoopshype.com

I can't find the link to the actual article itself

Reply #40058 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

my bad double post, you have to goto the rumours section as well.

Reply #40059 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Thanks for that TR, as I said I found the other article on the Bulls website. Guess we will just have to wait and see, I suspect he will probably attend.

Do you think he will get picked up by somebody? I'm thinking yes and he may get asked to bulk up a lot. If he does get picked up I think in a couple of years he could become a good 6th or 7th man.

Reply #40062 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Not exactly sure if he will get picked up. I want to say yes, but I just really don't know. He did real well at Chicago on the court (voted to All Second Team), but during the testing (agility, strength etc) he really really struggled, which I guess hurt his chances of getting drafted.

Maybe he will play in the NBA in a few years, but next season, no, I don't believe he will. As you said, he needs to bulk up, his touch is nice but his bulk hurts. At this time I think second tier centres in the NBA (Magloire, Gadzuric etc etc) would completely dominate him, I won't mention Shaq, Yao...

10 years ago being 7 foot got you drafted, today's NBA no way. If I was him I would be pushing to play in the NBDL ($24,000 US a year), eating heaps of Beefcake 2000 and trying to stick it up all those teams that didn't select him in the late second round.

Oh, Gooj needs to select him for the Commonwealth Games and help him get that international experience, plus it helps develope the Boomers for the future.

Reply #40072 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

HOW WEÃk CAN THE MAN BE!? IM SURE HE COäLD BENCH MORE THAN SHAWN BRADLEY???

Reply #40096 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Schensch has been picked up by the Nuggets for their Vegas Summer League team. He was also courted by the Bulls.

There are three other centres in the team, and Luke is the biggest of the bunch.

The first game (against New Jersey) is on July 7, with 5 more games over the following week.

Reply #40523 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

Did you check out the weight of the guy from Senegal, sounds like he might be a cousin of Manute!

Boniface N'Dong C Senegal
7 ft 205 lbs (That's 91 kg!!!)

Luke is pretty skinny, but he is 50 lbs heavier and only 1 inch taller.

Reply #40525 | Report this post

les  
Years ago

like most people, iam surprised luke did not get drafted!
It makes you wonder what the pre requisites are for nba teams to select someone when you have nba teams drafting european kids who are averaging 3-4 points in as many games and someone like luke has proven himself as a solid player in one of the toughest conferences in the ncaa.
note: brad miller was undrafted!
les

Reply #41709 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:23 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754