Tom
Years ago

Melbourne Tigers/United Dilemma

For every person who supports Slepoy and Kestleman's decision to swap Tigers for United, there are 3 who hate it. My idea is that in the 2014/15 season they let United get some traction and gain a reputation as Victoria's team. Then next season you bring back the Tigers with their history still intact. I know their are pros and cons about this like current Tigers players being United players, but in my opinion the Tigers must be an NBL team in the future.

Topic #34522 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

was always going to happen once the Gazes had no ownership stake left

Reply #475709 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

I understand your frustration but I wouldn't live on the hope of that happening. If they wanted that they would have kept the tigers and called the new team United.

By doing it the way you talk about there will be very few supporters of either team to fill seats.

Reply #475724 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I don't understand that a city with 4 million people with such a strong junior program, can't support one team well. And we are arrogant enough in Adelaide to have had discussion about a second NBL team?

Reply #475727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They do support one team well, just not when they throw out their history.

Reply #475729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Support one team when supposedly they are the most hated in Melbourne and they try to rebrand themselves?
More reason to hate them.

Reply #475730 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

No one knows how the team will go crowds wise. Hopefully they get a solid fan base. It's a good concept but probably not that well thought out and there was no consultation with Tigers fans. You can't just scrap a team's name with so much history.

Reply #475733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Solid fan base? Who are you kidding. They have gone from one of the Foundation members to shit.

Reply #475735 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

We have to try and be positive. I don't think it will convert a huge amount of non-tigers supporters but I do think it has a chance of attracting new fans.

Reply #475737 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not much to be positive about really. Another well-known NBL team gone, just what we needed.

Reply #475740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know why they didn't change the name to Victoria Tigers or Victoria United at least. That brings the whole state together moreso than targeting Melbourne..

Reply #475751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All they needed to do was re-package the Tigers. Get rid of those ugly red and yellow team colours that make them look like a team sponsored by McDonalds.

Do what the Wildcats did. New awesome looking uniform and go from there. Have a black uniform with a bit of yellow or red. It is simple marketing.

Calling the team Melb United - I think soccer. Tigers still works, but they have been doing the same crap for 20 years from the way they do their games to the uniform.

A simple repackage was needed, not a complete change.

Reply #475767 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

All the games will be played in Melbourne so there is no need to call the team Victoria United.

Reply #475779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cannot see it working hopefully it does, the people around know it is still Tigers, same people around the club just new name. and tiger supporters are annoyed about losing name.

Reply #475782 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Perhaps given the fan reaction it could be called Melbourne Bitter or Victoria Bitter?

Reply #475783 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Gold Paul!

Melbourne DisHEARTened perhaps?

Reply #475786 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Could've gone with Melbourne Fusion. Would've skipped the soccer angle and still played on the "unity" aspect.

Reply #475789 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Base don their press release, teh members' letter and the other material on their web site, it seesm to be a strategy designed to steal a march on any new Melbourne team introduced to the NBL in the future. They state clearly that they're aiming to appropriate "the history of all 13 Melbourne NBL clubs and their loyal fan base".

Apparently they did 18 months of research to decide this was the direction in which they wanted to move. Given them above public information, they've made the decision that creating a clear divide between the Tigers brand and the United brand is the best way to ensure they remain viable after any new Melbourne teams arrive.

I suspect, without knowing, that they found a lot of the casual fans who came to see Melbourne last season had no attachment or no strong attachment to the Tigers' name. They're trying to get those people attached to the United brand so they can keep them when another team joins.

The risk, as others have pointed out, is they'll lose fans who are attached to the Tigers' brand. But then where will those fans go? There won;t be a Tigers team in the NBL from here on. So they either stop going to NBL games altogether, wait to support the new team when it comes in - but they won't be the Tigers so either so why would they?

The other aspect of this is corporate sponsorship. The United brand is laying claim to the entirety of greater Melbourne and its basketball fraternity. That means any new team will find it harder to argue that the Tigers offer a more limited sponsorship opportunity than the new team might.

To me this is all about smart brand management and marketing strategy, not about traditional notions of local sporting clubs. Get used to it if the NBL is to survive. In one sense, it's not unlike the experiences cities in the USA go through when a new owner buys their team and decides to move it to another city. That's how things work in the business of professional sport.

Reply #475791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"They've made the decision that creating a clear divide between the Tigers brand and the United brand"

It is Tigers with a different name. Same coach same owners same CEO
Tigers had a good support group now that has been split. Tigers has survived in the past when a lot have not

Reply #475794 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Consider the timing of these facts: 1) The new CEO was part of a 2nd Melbourne team bid in 2012. 2) United was considered an option as a name for that bid; 3) the NBL claims this change has been in the works for 18 months; 4) Slepoy and Kestelman took majority ownership of the Tigers in February 2012; 5) Slepoy and Kestelman have previously expressed interest in owning another Mebourne team; 6) the NBL has made in clear that expansion teams, including a 2nd Melbourne team, is an important part of the league's future plans.

This is still baffling. Why would they make this move if they want to own the 2nd Melbourne team? They would be undermining their own expansion team. Unless of course a resurgent Tigers team is in their plans (they retain rights over the Tigers name).

Otherwise, this seems like a preemptive move in response to the threat of a 2nd Melbourne team, one that they won't own. They know a 2nd Melbourne team -- their competition -- is surely coming soon.

Another option -- or an extension of this preemptive argument -- is just that the owners liked some aspects of that 2012 bid and found it easier to use their own NBL license to create an amalgamated brand.

Regardless, IMO this is a cheap and nasty corporate strategy. They are willing to make unnecessary sacrifices that are not in the best interest of Melbourne basketball. The NBL has made it very obvious that they want a 2nd Melbourne team and it will be coming soon -- a team that surely would try to appeal to the very same fan base that United is trying to soak up. Slepoy and Kestelman know this. They are just making the move first.

*** BTW, Melbourne Fusion sounds so much better!

Reply #475797 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

South Dragons sounds bestest!

Reply #475811 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Do you know what I like the Melbourne Tigers being called? The Melbourne Tigers.

Reply #475839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even Melbourne Camoulfage sounds better than Melb United. For a basketball team anyway

Reply #475845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know what I can't stand? People saying that as a Tigers supporter, I have to "be positive" about the club being rebranded.

If the club crashes and burns from here, it's not my responsibility to support this new, plastic franchise just to keep any basketball in Victoria.

Good luck to the owners of Melbourne United because you can't just assume everyone will swap teams blindly, as I'm sure they'll soon find out.

Reply #475847 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

It sounds like Melbourne need no team for a couple of seasons so their fans can appreciate being able to see NBL. I'm sure Brisbane fans would take a United team, or a Spartan team just to see some ball played in their backyard.

Reply #475850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why even mention a Spartan team, they aren't in the picture at all.

Reply #475853 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

So does United still keep the rights to the Tigers 4 championships or are they wiping that off from their history? And in a related question, I understand they are going to acknowledge (not own) the club history and players from the defunct teams, who were also their bitter arch rivals at the time - does that mean they are taking in all the championships and retired jerseys from those clubs and hanging them up at their venue including the Tigers?

If this is done right, it could work. It has potential to work, though it can't be done half assed or tacky. What they need to do now is launch a million dollar advertising campaign to get all of Melbourne to subscribe to this highly controversial and sensitive plan and they might just pull it off.

It really is boom or bust for the sport in Melbourne now. I just hope it works for the sake of the NBL.

Reply #475856 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Well appartently the Spartans are now in the picture and they have recently been in contact with Fraser Neil and the NBL.

Reply #475857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spartans will not work, it is the same concept as the Tigers, a small amount of supporters from a domestic club not embracing all of Brisbane like the Bullets would have.

If the Tigers situation is not financially viable, the Spartans will not work for exactly the same reason!

If the Spartans situation will work, WTF are they doing in Melbourne then and WTF is the NBL thinking allowing this crazy state of affairs?

Reply #475859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL offer expressions of interest to various interested parties.
So far 2 -3. Spartans isn't on that list yet. They stupidly media press announcement last week talking about their bid with Head as Head Coach. Shows you how stupid Heal and the Spartans are when Neill said "We have had no contact at all with any Brisbane Spartans group - none," he said.
"It's quite bizarre.”

Reply #475861 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spartans will not work, it is the same concept as the Tigers, a small amount of supporters from a domestic club not embracing all of Brisbane like the Bullets would have.

If the Tigers situation is not financially viable, the Spartans will not work for exactly the same reason!
Good point!

Reply #475870 | Report this post

delmos24  
Years ago

Why does Gaze constantly get a pass? How much has he invested into Australian Basketball? I agree he sure has done a lot playing wise, (albeit while making a huge amount of money for a NBL player) but what has he done recently? He surely could have pulled some money out of his own pocket and saved his beloved club? Or furthermore been able to put a group together to buy the club? 10 guys @ 100k each sure isn't what is used to be, and should not have been that hard to raise?

Seen/heard him winge and whine on TV and radio, how about he puts his hand up for once?

This also leads me to BA. Wouldn't he be the best fit to run our game at this current moment? Most prominent basketball media member by far. He has clout in the news paper, radio and tv shows. I can't think of a better candidate.

Time to put back Gazey my boy. Just my two cents. No problem if you all lament me for this, but it needed to be said. Time to get off the fence and help the game that gave you everything.

Reply #475897 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am going to agree with delmos to some extent, not even targeting Gaze but also the other Tigers who have been prominent in their whining.

There is an element of 'old boys club' they want to keep going where they all get free tickets forever and can reminisce over the Tigers, that's not a bad thing.. but that isn't the owners issue to deal with, they can turn it into a soccer team if they want.. with the name they are already there.

Between Copeland/Gaze/Bradtke I can't be told they couldn't raise enough from their own pockets and general fund raising to enter a Tigers team by 2015/16. If the community that is so "outraged" truly feels this strongly, Gaze should mount the charge... If he wants to provide more then a good sulk he can and will change things up.

Will be interesting to see.. Lindsay said some things that makes it sound like it isn't game over.

Reply #475900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on ya Delmos. Way to think.
What does Gaze and BA have to do with running the NBL?

Reply #475909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze is on the BA board.......

Reply #475910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is well know that Andrew Gaze barley accepted any money from the Melbourne Tigers in his late playin days and he earnt most money from endorsements. I believe he said this in his book.

Reply #475911 | Report this post

delmos24  
Years ago

Believe that when I see it. Played for peanuts.....you would have to be bananas to believe that. Gazey is one of the most business savy sportsman out there.

Reply #475912 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

10 guys @ 100k each sure isn't what is used to be, and should not have been that hard to raise?
What's it going to do though that the current owners can't with their $200m+ or whatever they got from Dodo?

The challenge is improving the prospects of the club and the Tigers brand has been identified as something limiting that.

I think they screwed up this re-brand badly, but you can easily see the reasoning behind it.

Reply #475914 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Between Copeland/Gaze/Bradtke I can't be told they couldn't raise enough from their own pockets and general fund raising to enter a Tigers team by 2015/16."

United's owners still own all the Tigers IP. Stop suggesting this, people.

Reply #475918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does Gaze being on the BA board have to do with the NBL? SFA.

Reply #475925 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

delmos24 - It is 100% fact that Andrew Gaze played many seasons for the Tigers without collecting a pay cheque.

Lindsay Gaze was NEVER paid for coaching the NBL team. Not one single cent.

I can't believe anyone would question what the Gaze's have given to basketball in this country. Shame on you all.

Reply #475929 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Well said Vart.

Andrew Gaze is constantly giving back to the whole basketball community, doing speaking engagement after speaking engagement at any club with a problem and always for nothing.

He currently coaches their Big V team, helps out where ever asked.

Delmos24, to even ask the question is a blight on the good name of Gaze.

Besides, you have no idea what his financial situation is, yea he's probably, and I say again probably doing alright, but could be up to his eyeballs in other interests and not have the ability to get involved financially.

Besides, how would he find the time to run such a syndicate, he does have a tribe of kids to bring up, has his own business plus media commitments. When would he find the time.

I know the bloke although not very well and he is the most giving helpful guy you will never see.

Shame on anyone for suggesting he is letting basketball down by not getting involved.

And Delmos24, why don't you put your hand in your pocket for $100k and get nine other mates if you are so passionate about it?

Reply #475932 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The Gaze name is synonamous with the Tigers (at both junior and senior level), this whole thing makes me sad for many reasons and thinking of such a dynasty being left out in the cold is right up there...

Reply #475991 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:28 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754