Lance_Uppercut
Years ago

Spurs v OKC Game 3`

Baynes and Mills getting significant minutes.Anyone see the game? how did they play?

Topic #34535 | Report this topic

mystro  
Years ago

and the Thunder make it 1-2.

Adams with a decent game 7 points, 9 rebounds & 4 blocks in 27mins.

Reply #475969 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Saw bits and pieces, I though Adams was the best of the Oceania representation.

Reply #475970 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Adams is progressing into a very capable centre.

Is he playing at the Worlds?

How was Baynes?

Reply #475976 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

NZ Basketball will be heading to OKC to pressure them to release him for Spain

Reply #475980 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Baynes was outplayed by Adams when he went at him. Blocked one time and then couldn't make a move or find a pass the next. For a brief moment, it looked like something might escalate from there but they backed down before it got frisky.

Mills wasn't too bad. He had a three rim out but then found Leonard (?) in the corner for a three from the o-board. He had a later three go down making the margin six, but his leg stuck out on the follow through and the defender charging him in the corner tripped. He was called for the offensive foul and the score was disallowed. The commentator who spoke up (Kerr?) didn't agree with the call. I think sentiment was that it was after the shot at worst. Maybe a no-call and let the basket stand.

Game kinda fell apart for the Spurs from there. Parker was having a bit of a shocker and the Thunder were getting a lot of offensive rebounds. Mills drew a good charge from Jackson I think it was and was a bit floppy on another play or two trying to repeat it.

Adams played very well - boards, blocks, etc. He always looks pretty comfortable. If you were picking Adams or Baynes based on what you saw today, you'd go Adams 9/10 times or more.

Thabeet came on for the final garbage minutes and he was fairly woeful - no fluidity, confidence or involvement. Then again, who knows if they're even running reasonable plays at that stage of the game.

Reply #475981 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Thanks for the write up Isaac.

Given that Bogut will likely be unavailable for the Worlds, who is the Boomers best option for starting Centre?

I still think Baynes should be in the team, he works hard and has good size, just not quite sold on his ability as much more than a pick n roll dunker.

Reply #475985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any chance we can give Adams an Aussie passport and dual citizenship?

Reply #475988 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Any chance we can give Adams an Aussie passport and dual citizenship?"

he's educated OKC local media about the Aus/NZ rivalry and the underarm bowling incident, he's a hardcore Kiwi. You are welcome to keep Russell Crowe tho.

Reply #476000 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

too bad we can't field an ANZAC based team for the Olympics, that would be sweet.

Reply #476014 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Kevin Durant having to tell Scott Brooks "get Serge out of the game" well after the OKC margin ensured victory was pretty funny.

Sometimes I wonder what he is thinking as a coach in-game.

Reply #476023 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Shocking refereeing. What the hell NBA? Absolutely atrocious.

Reply #476025 | Report this post

Some_Fulla  
Years ago

I saw in Adams most recent interview that he said he will probably stay in okc and workout with the coaches there for the summer... Pretty gutting!

I have brought a venue pass for Barcelona for the WC, gambling that the Tall Blacks would make it out of their group.. Might be a bit tough now!!

Reply #476031 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Apparently this Westbrook bloke and his mate Durant played pretty good too.

Reply #476034 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kevin Durant having to tell Scott Brooks "get Serge out of the game" well after the OKC margin ensured victory was pretty funny.
He's pretty average when it comes to that sort of thing. Wonder what he's thinking? Got a team reliant more than most others on key players, and just brought back a crucial player from injury, then overplays them? Ibaka was even hobbling at multiple points and even if that was theatre, why over do it? As soon as the victory is there, bench them and then have your second unit steady the ship instead of flap around like they did.

My guess from here is that today was Ibaka's mental 'personal final' and the Thunder won't maintain that in the next game. Seemed a bit emotional as he left the court. I presume that was him hiding under the towel in the final minutes?

(Thabeet was -11 in three minutes!)

Reply #476044 | Report this post

Bankedshot  
Years ago

the refereing was woefull, some of the worst iv seen in the NBA. The free throw differential proves that. the Foul count evens out but refs now to do that as the quarter's come to a close. They always make them on fouls outside of the key to not influence the game on catch up calls.

Reply #476047 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

After watching the game, I knew there was going to be some biased Spurs fans whining about the refs. The refereeing was fine. Even the commentators were saying that the free throw disparity was due to the type of game the spurs played as compared to OKC. The only real quesitonable call against the spurs was the one on Mills, I agree with Isaac and Steve Kerr that the 3 should have counted.

There were two fouls on Perkins in the first quarter that were rubbish and caused him to miss the rest of the first half, and both were offensive where OKC would have scored the ball if the foul wasn't called. The Spurs get far more calls going there way at home and always have, but the refs haven't decided any of the games yet in this series, the better team has won each time.

Reply #476103 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Couldn't agree more Uncle Phil. Absolutely nothing wrong with the officiating as Reggie Miller and Steve Kerr stated. OKC far more aggressive (check the rebounding count!)and got rewarded for that.

Ibaka was unbelievable with some of his blocks and rim protection. He completely changes the game and the Spurs were lucky he was missing in games 1 & 2. Westbrook's block on Parker was pretty impressive too, making up a huge amount of ground.

Really hope that Ibaka pulls up ok for the 4th game as it's not really a fair fight without him there.

Reply #476115 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I watched the game again last night and agree completely in regards to the reffing.

Reply #476117 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The Bleacher Report Article "the one player each NBA fanbase hopes doesn't return" is an interesting read.

They have Derek Fisher for OKC, Jameer Nelson at Orlando (due to them hoping to snag Dante Exum) and then Australia's Arron Baynes for the Spurs.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2073086-the-one-player-each-nba-fanbase-hopes-doesnt-return-next-season/page/28

Reply #476157 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Mystro, can we keep Phar Lap too, I like him more than Crow!

If NZ could have kept Baynes and now with Adams improvements they would be very impressive internationally.

I think in coming years NZ will be legit anyway, the Aussies will have to stay on their game to defeat them!

Oh, and don't bring up the underarm bowling please, that wasn't our finest moment was it??

Reply #476159 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Yes Baynes would have been a great asset for NZ Basketball but he would have prob have got drunk and committed Genocide on a mass scale wrecking his future so Australia was prob the more solid pick.

Phar Lapp, wasn't that dog food?

Reply #476166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was that a brain phart Mystro?

Reply #476167 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

you a fan of watching dog food run round in circles with dwarfs riding them or a current fan of young NZ basketball players behavior in public?

Reply #476185 | Report this post

Dr McStuffins  
Years ago

Ibaka started hot but Adams was more effective
Ibaka is getting a lot of credit & hype
but without Adams input , the spurs could've easily ripped them after Ibaka went to the locker room

Reply #476193 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Ibaka was instrumental in keeping Parker from getting easy scores around the basket especially early on, Adams just couldn't quite stop him

Reply #476201 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:00 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754