Skyhook
Years ago

Games cancelled- No ref's !!

There will be NO 6.30 pm Div 4 Mens game at Hillcrest this evening because of a LACK OF OFFICIALS !!! ..not sure about other games.

I know this topic has been brought up before .. BUT .. i would like to know if BASA has actually done something to stop this happening again ?

I'm sure this is very frustrating for people only playing in one game a week .. what will happen with points ? No word from officials on that one either !

Anyone who has had game(s)cancelled for the same reason please let me know !

Topic #3456 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

BASA should have to pay the forfeit fine to the clubs involved as means of apology

Reply #39787 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Nice one Kent.

It'd be like trying to get our 'insurance'(no longer publicly insured) fee out of the lady on the door on game night!!

lol

Reply #39789 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

skyhook, my 7:50 game hillcrest was cancelled as well!

Reply #39802 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

Hey Dr dunkenstein, thank goodness for that new website, those N/A forms really helped with tonight. lol

Reply #39806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Phantom - you keep shooting your mouth off without knowing what your talking about. The Availabilty form is for July, we are still in June. lol

Reply #39810 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

Dr Dunkenstein - do you play for North 2 or Eastern that was scheduled to play @ 7.50 tonight at Hillcrest?

Reply #39822 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

yes, eastern.

Reply #39825 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

ur a tool dr what ever. lmao.

Reply #39827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dr dunkenstein who are you

Reply #39898 | Report this post

S  
Years ago

Yep, has happened with Div 4 games at Flinders a few times as well. Both Men's and Women's games.

Reply #39912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon (#39898) - you should be able to work out who Dr dunk is from his prevous posts, see umpires - website

Reply #39922 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

We all seem to be happy to winge and bitch about the ref's.

Why not put ya hand up and set the example and take it to basa.

Is each club supposed to provide some refs. Should this be the case for the clubs to select their people who want to become refs. A ref can't be blamed if they have no idea but a ref who is favouring a particular club will show and generate huge criticism.

How can basa or any basketball association attract refs if all they hear is ridicule all the time.

Training to promote becoming a ref is not happening, youngsters and new refs are thrown in the deep end with no mentoring, no one to educate them in what to expect from a player. Even players who become refs usually get carried away with a type of power trip.

Now I'm having a winge.

How can the sport improve and thrive with no participants as players or officials?

Reply #39955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

back in the days of forestville and bowden any team and this was in the mid 70s nominating for social grades had to supply their own umpires or at least nominate one team player who would be rostered to referee another game. no nomination of a player to ref no nomination accepted.

the idea was if you ref'd one game you got into your game for free.

it was interesting to say the least but this shortage of umpires has been around forever. also it doesn't just happen in basketball it happens in most sports.

umpiring is to a certain extent a thankless task

and don't say basa has had time to fix the problem it is a problem australia wide/many sports wide

Reply #39992 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

Pay them more to make it more attractive than a part time job. Plus pay for their training. I know Basketball is cashed strapped but it any going to get any better if we don't get more referees. Clubs pay for coach education. Last are the Development Officer who go to school taking a holistic approach to the sport? In WA they had a program called "CAPS" - Challenge Achievement Pathways in Sport. That showed kids all aspects of the sport - admin, coaching, playing, refereeing and scoretables etc. It targeted HS students who would then set up programs in primary schools. A lot of work but big rewards.
(not having a go at DO, just a question).

Reply #40148 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Doddobird - Being O/S you may not realise that we have the CAPS program here in SA.

There were three 'basketballers' in the program.

Myself, Libertine, and a state ref from Karoonda. (sp?)

it was sport tho - not basketball specific. perhaps it could be modified and introduced?

Reply #40149 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:48 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754