Wabbit
Years ago

ABC2 to broadcast World Cup/Championship

http://www.basketball.net.au/abc2-broadcast-2014-fiba-world-championships/"

From the article:
In a landmark agreement between FIBA - basketball's governing body – and ABC Sport, all Boomers and Opals games will be televised LIVE* AND IN FULL, free-to-air on ABC2 starting from Sunday August 31.

Additionally ALL games from the quarter final stage through to the final of both the FIBA Basketball World Cup and FIBA World Championship for Women will be LIVE.

Good to hear

Topic #34560 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic work !!

Anyone got the schedule and game times (Australian time) for the Men's World Cup?

Reply #476583 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Plus live broadcast of Team USA men's team too. Great news.

"In a huge coup, ABC2 will also broadcast LIVE all the men's Team USA games on free-to-air television."
Here's the full media release:
ABC2 TO BROADCAST THE 2014 FIBA BASKETBALL WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Australian sports fans rejoice - ABC2 has today announced that the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup and FIBA World Championship for Women will screen on free-to-air television for the first time, as we follow the fortunes of the Australian Boomers and Jayco Australian Opals.

In a landmark agreement between FIBA – basketball’s governing body – and ABC Sport, all Boomers and Opals games will be televised LIVE* AND IN FULL, free-to-air on ABC2 starting from Sunday August 31.

Additionally ALL games from the quarter final stage through to the final of both the FIBA Basketball World Cup and FIBA World Championship for Women will be LIVE.

ABC TV Sport and Events Executive Producer Kirsty Bradmore said ABC was proud to bring these truly international sporting events to Australian households.

“In an Australian television first, ABC TV is thrilled to broadcast both the Men’s FIBA World Cup and Women’s FIBA World Championships LIVE on free-to-air television,” Bradmore said.

“ABC2 looks forward to bringing sport fans the best basketball on the planet as Australia’s Boomers and Opals take on the rest of the world.”

“In a huge coup, ABC2 will also broadcast LIVE all the men’s Team USA games on free-to-air television.”

Basketball Australia Chair Scott Derwin said to have both tournaments on free-to-air television was a major boost to basketball fans and the Australian sporting public.

“The FIBA Basketball World Cup and FIBA World Championship for Women are the biggest events in world basketball and to have them on free-to-air television across Australia is a significant coup,” Derwin said.

“It is very exciting times for the Australian Boomers and Jayco Australian Opals, and now all sports fans will be able to watch every moment of the journey live on ABC2.”

“The ABC has been a long-time supporter of basketball in this country and this amazing commitment in a world championship year further enhances the network’s reputation as the home of basketball in Australia.”

The ABC’s coverage of the Boomers road to Spain for the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup begins tonight with the first game of the 2014 Sino-Australia Challenge against China on ABC2 at 10:30pm.

FIBA World Cup LIVE from Spain, Sunday August 31 to Sunday September 14. Women’s Basketball World Championships LIVE from Turkey, Saturday September 27 to Monday, October 6.

*All games are live AEST.

Reply #476585 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Great news for hoops fans and sport lovers in general. Well done ABC & FIBA

Reply #476588 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Fantastic news would much rather watch on TV then on internet. Bonus being able to watch USA games too.

Reply #476591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huuuuuuge

AUS and USA as well as all games from quarter finals live on free to air

HHHUUUUGGGGEEEEEEEE!!!!

Reply #476595 | Report this post

Kracka_Bballin  
Years ago

Solid.

Great news.

Hopefully they'll have a go at the NBL contract at the end of this coming season.

Reply #476596 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

i noticed at abc media watch program that they asked ten whether they'd call in a receiver

Reply #476597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Massive, once again well done ABC!

Reply #476599 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

great job ABC, hopefully it doesn't get cut between now and the world cup by the Libs.

Reply #476600 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

most likely australia will have abc,7 and 9,
and no channel ten

Reply #476601 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I'm grateful channel 10 didn't get world cup

Reply #476603 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

This is great news, and I know beggars can't be choosers when it comes to basketball coverage in Australia, but god I hope this doesn't mean Darren Boyd is commentating the games.

Reply #476605 | Report this post

The Rock  
Years ago

awesome news , malo malo
Tall Blacks!

Reply #476606 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Greatest News Ever! Young guys and girls will not appreciate how big this is.

Reply #476607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done BA. Long time coming but kicking some genuine goals.

Reply #476611 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Awesome news!

This is massive - really big news. Unprecedented in fact.

I'm so excited that I nearly...(we won't go there!)

Seriously though, a brilliant outcome for hoops fans in Australia.

Well done to Basketball Australia who often get canned and to ABC2 for making this happen.

Basketball in Australia is the winner. Now to market the coverage to ensure everyone knows.

Reply #476612 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #476614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If game times hold as per official website listing:

Aus v Slovenia @ 12.30am Sunday 31 August

Aus v Korea @ 8.30pm Sunday

Aus v Lithuania @ 12.30am Wednesday

Aus v Mexico @ 8.30pm Wednesday

Aus v Angola @ 8.30pm Thursday

USA v Finland @ 5.30am Sunday 31 August

USA v Turkey @ 5.30am Monday

USA v NZ @ 1.30am Wednesday

USA v DR @ 5.30am Thursday

USA v Ukraine @ 1.30am Friday

Reply #476616 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Can't remember the last time I felt my tax dollars were being well spent.

This is one example anyway...well done!

Reply #476626 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I was trying to think of the last time the Worlds were on free-to-air TV. I couldn't quite remember if 1998 in Greece was (I don't think so).

If not, it would have been Toronto 1994, so 20 years ago.

Well done Basketball Australia and ABC for getting this done for all the hoops fans.

Now if we can just get BA to pump up the Boomers tyres a little bit (even just a little bit!) over the next few months.

Reply #476750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vart,

I actually can't remember if the WC's have been on FTA since '98 (I remember watching that WC vividly with the USA sending a non-NBA team) but the 2002 WC in Indianapolis wasn't televised in Australia at all.

I know I saw the last two WC too in 2006 & 2010 so they must've been on Foxtel, I got rid of that in 2011.

Reply #476755 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:41 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754