Isaac
Years ago

Taipans re-sign Matt Burston for two seasons

The Cairns Taipans today completed its Australian roster contingent with the re-signing of centre Matt Burston to a two-year deal.

Burston enjoyed a career rejuvenation during his first year in Cairns, improving his scoring and rebounding output and claiming the club's Best Defensive Player award.

The 211-centimetre centre shone in the absence of injured star Cameron Tragardh, averaging 8.2 points and 7 rebounds in just 24 minutes per game in the second half of 2013/14.

It is this consistency—coupled with a strong work ethic—that head coach Aaron Fearne says made retaining Burston a priority.
Steindl the only Australian Taipan not signed to return.

Full article

Topic #34568 | Report this topic

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Makes me wonder what's going to happen to Mitch Young -- the first frontcourt player we should've signed.

Reply #476718 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Where will Steindl end up? Melbourne or Sydney?

Reply #476719 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Isn't Young on a multi-year?

Reply #476726 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

He is, had a mind blank. Two-year deal.

So what happened to getting in a big guy who could lock down the paint. Fearne said that was a priority

Reply #476728 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Burston's best days are behind him but still a solid backup. Young signed a two year deal so 1 year left.
Is Tragardh signed for next year?

Reply #476729 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Get him at the right price and its a good signing!
For the 2 yr contract I'd say thats exactly what happened.

Reply #476730 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Yes,Tragardh is signed for next year.

Reply #476731 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Good signing but dont really see how the taipans will be any better this year. Rolling the dice on the imports Wollongong style.

Reply #476736 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, looks like a similar line-up to last year with different imports. Maybe an import 2/3 and 1/2 this time though?

Reply #476739 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Imports will make or break Taipans. Has Fearne got one more year left on his contract?

Reply #476744 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Fearne will make or break the Taipans, there's nothing wrong with the roster.

Reply #476766 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

How Gliddon handles the point guard spot and the quality of the imports will go along way to determining the Taipans fate. Young should improve next season and Weigh could be the X factor.

Reply #476769 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I wanna see Weigh flourish just so Carfino can stop harping on about his potential.

Reply #476772 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

I want to see Cardino flourish... so i can stop watching the telecasts on mute...

Reply #476781 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

... and Carfino too...

Reply #476782 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You can't really say "good signing" or "bad signing" until you know how much they're paying him.

Like skull says the 2 year deal might mean he sacrificed some dollars for security (how funny is it that in today's NBL a 2 year deal is considered "long-term"), but you never know...

There is a history of injury prone bigs getting overpaid.

Reply #476807 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I thought that Cairns roster was talented enough to make the grand final last season (them winning in Perth solidified this belief) so bringing back a similar roster is great and if I was a fan I'd become a member as I think this team is an exciting one and Burston was good last season.

Well done to both Matt and the Taipans on agreeing on to terms for someone that deserved another contract.

Hopefully he helps the development of Young

Reply #477049 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:48 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754