Isaac
Years ago

Sino-Aus Challenge - Game 2

Game is televised from 8:30 nationally meaning it's live in the East and on delay in Adelaide.

TV: ABC2 at 8:30pm Nationally (LIVE into VIC, NSW, QLD, ACT &TAS)
Live stats here

Starters look to be Greenwood, Madgen, Walker, Worthington and Nevill.

Topic #34573 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

I think the Boomers may steamroll the Chinese tonight and will be better for the game 1 hit-out.

2014 Sino-Australia Challenge: Boomers come from behind to steal game 1

2014 Sino-Australia Challenge: Introducing the Boomers

Reply #476859 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Should be a good game!

Reply #476860 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Just loving the fact that we can watch on FTA TV!

Reply #476862 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

A couple of dubious early foul calls against China and they're over the limit with 6mins left in Q1...

Who told the refs they're the stars of the show?

Reply #476870 | Report this post

Budgie  
Years ago

What's with the Chinese writing on the Boomers jersey? It's our jersey! Should never sell out our identity

Reply #476875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the chinese government pick up the tab for the costs for this series plus games involving the national team gets big ratings back home so probably helping their locals know who our players are.

Reply #476876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So we sell our identity then? also there is no Chinese writing on the Chinese team

Reply #476877 | Report this post

Budgie  
Years ago

Piss weak officials. The Chinese coach should have been thrown out of the stadium. If we do that over there we would be in front of the firing squad.

Reply #476884 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Yeh, stange behaviour by the chinese. The coach almost called the team to walk off and abandon the game and refused to leave the court when he was ejected. And the chinese player trying to trip Rhys Martin on that fast break. Are their any penalties given out by FIBA when behaviour like this occurs, it was pretty disgraceful on behalf of the Chinese

Reply #476887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the chinese writings mean Perth West Australia

Reply #476891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good job! for the refrees, lol

Reply #476902 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What's with the Chinese writing on the Boomers jersey? It's our jersey! Should never sell out our identity
They have "China" written in English on their jersey. We have "Perth, West Australia" in Chinese on ours.

It's a "friendly" series and likely assisted/financed by China, presumably still through Vlahov's setup which is why Perth hosts it.

I think we're pretty lucky to get it on ABC2.

Didn't see the second half, but thought there were a couple of rough plays by the Boomers that were lucky to not be called fouls.

Reply #476903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

damn shame the referees,three mouses' poorly acting mess the game up

Reply #476904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The china dog who tried to blatantly trip Rhys Martin should be banned from fiba for a year! Could if easily caused major injury if had of tripped him! Absolutely disgraceful if I was on the court I would of popped him fair in his face

Reply #476905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was at the game tonight

It was just an all round dirty game from the Chinese, absolutely disgusting.

Their coach was on the court pushing the refs and they were too scared to get him out despite giving him 2 techs.

That stupid player that tried to trip Martin walked to the bench with his arms in the air like he didn't know what he did wrong, horrible.

When Rhys Martin supposedly injured one of their guards he got up and gave him a signal saying he did it deliberately, which he didn't and looked like a flop.

China probably should be forced to forfeit this series immediately on the back of this showing tonight, it was appalling. These and many other incidents absolutely horrified me with how much they got away with.

The Chinese basketball federation or whatever they call themselves need to take a good hard look at themselves because what they were doing tonight was complete bullshit.

Not a bad game to watch though, great atmosphere surprisingly

Reply #476907 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

Piss weak refs shouldn't have restarted the game until the Chinese coach had left. How many times during the match did he put his hands on an official? And who was the Chinese assistant? We were five rows Behind their bench. What an absolute peanut. The way they carried on for every call that they didn't like was a disgrace.

Reply #476908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can you fucking say china was dirty?!!!
your fucking dirty Australian dog

Reply #476910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The chinese players & coach disgraced themselves tonight.

I've never seen a coach get kicked out of a game and refuse to leave before and that was over him protesting that dirty chinese player trying to trip Martin up three times on the same drive.

Just appalling behaviour.

Reply #476911 | Report this post

hehehehehe  
Years ago

Because Australians like dirty and rude for way to play basketball, so China play basketball with Australia,It's practice for china.

Reply #476912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hehehehehe or whatever the hell it is, that was so dirty wasn't it. And not called a foul. And Andrej Lemanis was on the court physically abusing the umpires and refusing to leave the game and his little bitch assistants were crying on the sideline. China played the game respectively and well mannered and won the game

NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT

Reply #476914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steve I completely agree with you. He should have been forced to leave by some sort of security, I am so pissed off at that. I'm a pissed off Australian fan, but I'm proud to be an Australian fan

Reply #476915 | Report this post

xie  
Years ago

have you watched the game? boxing or wrestling? you fucking dirty Australian dogs! 3 shameless judges, 12 sordid players and a big herd of fucking fans, you have insulted basketball

Reply #476919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin deserves an honor in WWE

Reply #476921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

China vs Aus=5 vs 8, shame on you!

gif to yall

http://7citieswitness.com/gif-larry-sanders-gives-all-three-refs-a-thumbs-up-after-being-ejected/

Reply #476922 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Game 2 Recap is now up on PnR:

2014 Sino-Australia Challenge: Boomers storm to a 2-0 series lead

The Australian Boomers picked up where they left off in the final periods of game 1 of the Sino-Australia Challenge Series in Perth by outmuscling China 85-64 in an at times fiery encounter in game 2. Led by Mark Worthington with 14 points in a game that saw five Boomers score in double figures, it was the late game antics that this match may be remembered for.

Reply #476925 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Xie not sure which game you were watching but there was pushing, grabbing niggling from both sides all game, plus some really good legit in your face defence from both teams. The three main incidents all went China's way, Martin called for blocking foul in the backcourt was in no way dirty, he just stopped and held his ground which he had every right to do, just unfortunate he caught martins shoulder.

Push and shove with jervis looked to be started by china, but both players pushed and could have easily have been a double foul and play on, but the tech went against Australia somehow.

The coach not leaving after double tech was pathetic by Chinese coach, whether you agree with the call (being called for trying multiple times to trip a player on the break) or not is irrelevant, you respect the game, your opposition and the game and take your medicine. Officials obviously let this slide just to keep the peace.

Having said that wortho should have also been called for uslf with the shoulder at mid court trying to stop the break.

Reply #476926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Chinese should have just flopped as that is what Perth fans are use to and expect.

Reply #476932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought a fair few calls went against China early, and they had a bit of my sympathy. I thought the Martin play was pretty pathetic, and reasonably called a block (did the offensive player have time to stop or change direction? Not really, because who the hell expects someone to try and take a charge when you don't have the ball, are in the back-court, and doing nothing other than making your way from one end to the other?). Also thought the Wortho shoulder should have been called unsportsmanlike - it was a play against a player without the ball, behind a fast break where Australia had a numbers disadvantage.

But I couldn't understand how the scuffle resulted in a tech against Australia, I thought for sure that was a double, play on, and that would have been generous to China. And the attempted tripping followed by the coach refusing to leave after a double tech was absolutely appalling. I hope FIBA takes action on that, and suspends the Chinese coach for at least a game, probably more like 3.

I thought there were some nasty plays on both sides, and as Kr said above, also some really good in-your-face D from both sides. But when it came down to it, Australia accepted the calls, while China whinged, cried, and ultimately flat-out refused to play by the rules. I don't consider myself particularly patriotic, but I was damn glad to be on the Aussie side at that point.

Reply #476933 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

The unprofessionalism shown by the Chinese players and coaching staff makes it hard for them to be accepted as legitimate contenders on the world stage. It was like watching a 'B' grade match at the local basketball club with all the bitching and dirty tactics going on.
And to the obvious Chinese supporters on this thread, learn the rules of basketball before you come on here with your childish rants. No wonder your team played like they did. Even the players themselves didn't seem to know the rules. Twice they got called for goaltending when the ball had touched the backboard. The bemused look on the players faces was priceless.

Reply #476937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are the teams getting frustrated? The interpretation of the rules!

NBL went soft this year, CBA allow heavy contact. The refs are trying to call something in between but the players on both sides are struggling with this as they have just come off full seasons playing with different interpretations.

Officiating around the world needs to be on the same page. They are not even close from league to league right now. This has a major impact on international play.

Reply #476939 | Report this post

Big Ads of Perth  
Years ago

I loved the passion shown by both sides, I would have thought an Olympic or World Cup qualification was on the line had I not known better. Neither team backed down which was great.

Ok there were some bad decisions in the heat of the moment but that should not be surprising as both teams played with a lot of pride.

Lets not get too carried away with the "he should have", "they should have" or "they were" type comments, just enjoy the game for what it was, a "friendly" that provide a great deal of entertainment. In the end nobody was seriously hurt and at worst there may be a few bruised egos. No need to turn this into an international conspiracy.

I'm looking forward to watching the next two games as it was great watching two opponents putting it all on the line both on the court and from the sidelines.

(10/20)

Reply #476940 | Report this post

Carcus Mamby  
Years ago

Worthington was the dirtiest of the bunch. There is a difference between playing with passion and playing like a chump

Reply #476945 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

To be honest, going on game 1 and what I saw in the first half of game 2, it looked like Australia was setting the tone for a hard game. Worthington was playing a bit thuggish and others followed suit. I got the impression that China took the attitude of "Well, if that's what the refs are letting go and we're getting screwed..." There was one rough screen from a Boomer where it looked like an elbow was slightly raised and there was no call; right in front of the Chinese bench.

Didn't see the second half of the second game, and it sounds like things got worst there. Not excusing tripping or coach antics or anything like that.

Reply #476952 | Report this post

Qnmlgb  
Years ago

Steve,what's the so called fucken rules are you saying,the rule that I Can punch you but you cannot touch me ,the rule we win and you must lose? what hell this shit of robbers rule is.
refs must be half blind,they see the dirty actions by Chinese but ignore the worse ones taken by your boomers throughout the game.
By the way, how about the five free throw penalty, fantastic judgement, isn't it?

Reply #476964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh My God, how in any were the Boomers worse than the Chinese? Stop being ridiculous

Reply #476966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's just see how the chinese fans post after games 3 and 4..... they complain about our refs....what for home cooking chinese style!!! Now that's just blatant cheating

Reply #476971 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I too would like an explanation for the five free throw tech (or double tech). 5 free throws?

Reply #476972 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

The Chinese team got sucked into playing a style of game that they are sadly inexperienced at and that experience comes with time. The Australian team push the boundaries and do it for the most part in a subtle way that style like it or not comes from experience. Don't blame the refs too much it's a fast game and they don't have replays

Reply #476980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

XY, I think, and I'm not at all claiming to be sure, but I believe what happened was that while the shooter was taking the first free throw, one of the refs blew his whistle to T up the coach. The shooter made a bit of a fuss about the distraction, so that free throw was re-taken. So there were only four free throws given as penalties; one was just taken twice. That was the best I could figure at the time, anyway.

Reply #476983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia: 43 free throws
China: 22 free throws
You call it fair game???
Shame on you!!!!

Reply #476985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Half of those 43 were from Technicals from your stupid coach

Reply #476988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just go back to the comment at start of thread "Who told the refs they where the stars of the show" Completely ruined the game with poor officiating Allowing the game to get rough by the no calls.

Reply #476992 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Or... Or... Just maybe, Maybe... the Chinese play like its a UFC match?

they are actually pathetic to watch. Moan over fouls, get violent when they lose... they don't play with much class

Reply #476993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a very professionally run couple of days. Since when does an officials wear their Sunday Arvo Multicolour woolie jumper and approach an overseas visiting coach to eject him from the stadium.... He probably thought she was the tea person…. Have some sort of officiating clothing at least….. As for the game… Officiating should have managed the game from the get go in Game 1 and set the tone and be consistent. Just looked Mickey Mouse in so many ways….

Reply #476995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Australia: 43 free throws
China: 22 free throws
You call it fair game???
Shame on you!!!!"

My guess is you looked at the stats hoping there'd be a huge disparity in the foul count, but when you saw China only had two more fouls than Australia you jumped on the free throw stats.

As others have said the technicals bumped up the number of free throws a fair bit.

Do you think the attitude of the coaching staff, which in turn filters through to the players' attitude, might be one of the reasons China has been such an under-performing nation on the international stage?

Reply #476998 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

Qmnlgb, you must be a moron! As I said before, learn the rules. You obviously don't know them. You must also have been watching a different game.

Reply #476999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GWB if the chinese played like a UFC match why was the not a heap more fouls against them ? As i said poor officiating.

Reply #477002 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

There are still 2 more games to be played in China, perhaps the referring will favour the Chinese. But China will need to do more than just rely on a change in referring to win the next two games.

Reply #477007 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

refereeing

Reply #477008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I do believe the Chinese was leading the most of game 1. so they are not that far behind

Reply #477010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet got flogged in Game 2 when both teams had had a chance to scout each other.

Reply #477015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not much different to last years tournament. Aussie won here and China over there. Was rough and dodgy reffing then too.... Same comments about the jerseys and how if you want to encourage new fans to get on board and follow basketball they have to be able to identify with who they are watching….. Another missed opportunity with FTA to advertise to the wider market (not Facebook and web fans of basketball already) and make it professionally run please !!!! Commentary, reffing and officials….. if I wasn't a basketball fan and used to lack of …….. I would have turned it off especially after the ref had no control of he game and a coach was not ejected.. Absolutely laughable ……… Bowing to the money I guess…… Even the website has not links that I could find to results, stats, player info and so on… All about booking a seat, flight and accommodation to it….. So glad I didn't buy into that one...

Reply #477016 | Report this post

Mike Tyson  
Years ago

I didn't see anything wrong. Well done ref's!

Reply #477019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find that all the referees are FIBA badged officials and not just 3 guys who won a competition by posting on a forum.

International basketball is usually officiated a lot different than domestic leagues. Wait until the World Champs.... China will have to wait a few more years for that.

Reply #477020 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Stopped watching part way into the second quarter of the second game. Standard of play was poor, brought about by refereeing that forsook teh riles of the game, presumably under some sort of instruction from the game's organisers. The tone was set in the first game, when 63 fouls were called and refs were, even then, letting a high proportion of heavy contact - much of it clearly deliberate (aimed elbows, dropped shoulders etc.) - go.

The second game took that lead and became lowbrow crap that bore little resemblance to the contest of skill I usually associate with name "basketball". I look forward to watching real basketball when World Cup and World Championships come around later this year. I won't waste my time watching any more of this series.

Reply #477021 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Why did ABC use Ronaldson? I hope they do better than him for the worlds.

Reply #477022 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I just go back to the comment at start of thread "Who told the refs they where the stars of the show" Completely ruined the game with poor officiating Allowing the game to get rough by the no calls.
Oh boy, this is the first time I've heard someone run that "refs think they're the stars" spiel and claim it all happened via them not calling any fouls. Sure, I think they potentially lost control, but nothing to do with them thinking they were the star attraction.

Reply #477024 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

China has a long history of terrible behavior on the international basketball stage, especially when things on court are not going well.

Here is a sample of some of China's shameful performances in international competition...

Reply #477025 | Report this post

Sino-Situs  
Years ago

That game was uglier than than my toilet after eating some dodgy Chinese takeaway!!!

Both teams disgraced themselves, China's coaching staff woeful but I can appreciate it..
My gripe is with the Aussies - WTF its a friendly and your trying to lay footy bumps?? I personally think we got sucked into the rubbish as Lemanis said forget the phsyical stuff lets just get back to playing!!

I'd be pissed to with an unnecessary agressive attack in the back court which is off ball..

BUT having said that there was some great basketball that occured at times from both teams.

Hopefully the next game doesn't play like this one

Reply #477026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia should be asking for Security in ...….. Many players who would not play there again after incidents that made them feel unsafe... This seems like a less controlled team and Coaching group than last year and if certain Aussie players persist in buying in to it there may be another event that has potential to explode……. Not as easy in some countries to bring it under control…….

Reply #477028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After fan attack on referee, Zhejiang women banned from playing in home city for one year
January 31, 2013Basketball With Chinese Characteristics, Women's Chinese Basketball Association (WCBA)
Post by Kenya Brown January 31, 2013Basketball With Chinese Characteristics, Women's Chinese Basketball Association (WCBA)
5868230_980x1200_0

At NiuBBall, we don't often comment on the problems with the officiating inside of Chinese basketball. Actually on second thought, yeah we do.

However, this may be the first time where we have commented on fans seeking to physically assault an officiating crew after a game.

This article should focus on the big showdown between star foreign imports Maya Moore and Elizabeth Cambage as their respective Shanxi Flame and Zhejiang Golden Bull teams took on one another in Game 1 of the Women’s Chinese Basketball Association Finals Tuesday night.

However, the real action came after the final buzzer.

In what turned out to be two great individual performances by the US and Australian stars (Moore scored 53 points and grabbed 13 rebounds, while Cambage scored 38) and an eventual 96-92 victory by Shanxi that put them one game up in the series, once again it was the officiating that was put in the spotlight in the newspapers and sports channels around the country.

Believing that the referees were showing favoritism towards Moore and her Flame teammates throughout the game (apparently Zhejiang was assessed with one too many foul calls), a group of fans thought it would be a good idea to storm the court after the game to let them know their feelings on the matter. But instead of simply voicing their displeasure, these fans let their fists do the talking as the three officials narrowly escaped to the dressing room. The situation was so intense that the angry mob had to be held back by security on hand at the arena.

The fiasco forced a spokesman for the Zhejiang team to make a public apology and Cambage took to Twitter after the game to share her unusual experience.

Though both fan suspicion of shady officiating and post-game on-court conformations are not new to Chinese basketball (most recently in 2011, a journalist went onto the court to accost a referee after a particularly controversial men’s playoff game between Beijing and Xinjiang), physical violence towards an official — at least on as big of a stage as the finals — is.

In response, the Chinese Basketball Association, which governs both the men’s and women’s league, handed down one of the harsher penalties in recent memory today: Zhejiang will be banned from playing home games in their home city of Yiwu for one year, including any additional games in their series against Shanxi.

The WCBA implements a 1-2-2 format for their best-of-five series. Games 2 and 3 will be played at Shanxi and if necessary, Games 4 and 5 will be played back in Zhejiang in their new city. Both the city and stadium must be approved by the league by February 4.

This recent incident only draws more scrutiny onto the competency of officiating at all levels in Chinese basketball, which as been under the microscope this season, particularly in the men’s league. Many have put forward suggestions, including this writer, who proposed several on another site. Yet basketball fans in China are still waiting for a meaningful and effective response from the league.

This is not to say that those "fans" were right, however. Attacking officials under any circumstances, no matter how deplorable the calls, is totally wrong and ruins the integrity of the game. More troubling though, was how they were able to get such easy access to the court with security supposedly tasked with guaranteeing the safety of players, coaches and referees. Hopefully in the following games in the best-of-five series more attention will be focused on the performances of the players on the court and not the shenanigans afterwards.

Game 2 will be played on Thursday night at Shanxi.

Jon Pastuszek also contributed to this report.

Reply #477029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Georgetown Brawl Not First For China
By Sarah Kogod | Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 | Updated 6:20 PM EDTView Comments () | Email | Print

Georgetown Brawl Not First For China
Getty Images

BEIJING - AUGUST 18: Yao Ming #13 of China moves against the defense of Sofoklis Schortsanitis #14 of Greece during the preliminaries at the Wukesong Indoor Stadium on Day 10 of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games on August 18, 2008 in Beijing, China. Australia won 106-75. (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)

PHOTOS AND VIDEOS
Hot Athletes
LOOK
PHOTOS
Hot Athletes
Pro Athletes' Wives & Girlfriends
LOOK
PHOTOS
Pro Athletes'
Wives & Girlfriends
More Photos and Videos
On Thursday, an exhibition game in China was the scene of an intense brawl between Georgetown and their Chinese opponents. While the Hoyas do not have a history of bad behavior, in-game violence is a problem that the Chinese Basketball Association has faced for years.

In 2005, a brawl broke out in the final minutes of a game against Puerto Rico in Beijing after two Chinese players launched themselves off of the bench to go after the Puerto Rican players. The clash was spurred by a foul against current Wizards player Yi Jianlian, who was playing for Beijing at the time.

An account of that fight in the New York Times showed that while the players, including Yi, were at the center of the brawl, fans "hurled abuse along with drinks, plastic bottles, yogurt and popcorn at the Puerto Rican team as it left the court."

In 2007, the fans became the aggressors during a CBA game, hurling cups and bottles at the court after a questionable call. Coincidentally, Yi was on the roster for one of the teams involved, although not present at that particular game.

The trend continued later that year, when rowdy fans in Zhejiang attacked a visiting team bus and teams from Xinjiang and Shanxi were fined after their fans threw bottles and other objects onto the court. Min Lulei, then coach of the Beijing Ducks, told the AFP that this had become common fan behavior.

"This kind of thing is very normal. The CBA has been going on for some time, even the NBA which is older, still has this kind of problem," Min said at the time. "Even if we want to change this, we still won't be able to avoid this kind of problem."

Outside of the growing fan violence, the national team prepped for the 2008 Beijing Olympics with a goal of wanting to see its players become more physical.

Many people, including former NBA star Yao Ming, felt that Chinese “non-contact style prevalent in the China Basketball Association was producing players who were not tough enough for the international game." The solution for the CBA: allow players to be more physical going into the 2008-09 season.

"After the Olympics, we realized that unless we strengthened our physical presence, Chinese basketball would not be able to compete with the world's best," CBA chief Liu Xiaonong said at the time.

Unfortunately, CBA fans missed that memo. According to ESPN, a record $140,500 (960,000 yuan) in fines were assessed during that first season under the new playing style, some of that imposed on teams for crowd trouble.

"Some [teams] have been punished for their misbehaving fans, who were outraged partly because they did not understand the new standards the referees must enforce," Liu explained of the fines. "The league has not done a good enough job in getting the message about physicality out."

But ultimately, hot-headed fans are not to blame for the CBA's persistent problem with violence. The league seems to lack control over its own teams, uncharacteristic of a culture known for its strong discipline.

During a CBA finals game in April 2010, two players got into a tussle under the basket, ending with a head butt and punches thrown. The teams were fined, but the players were not suspended.

In October 2010, a fight broke out during an exhibition game between the Chinese national team and Brazil, which included Chinese players kicking and punching their opponents. According to a Wall Street Journal account, the game was called when the Chinese players attacked the Brazilians as they headed back to the visiting locker room. A number of players and coaches received fines and the team was temporarily suspended from training as a result of the fray, but no game suspensions were given by the CBA.

In December 2010, FIBA -- basketball’s world governing body -- decided to take matters into its own hands by suspending China’s national team coach and three players, as well as banning three of China’s referees for one year. There were no suspensions or fines placed on Brazil, making a clear statement as to which side was to blame for the rampage.

Although they have yet to issue one for Thursday's incident, the CBA has issued an apology for the behavior of its players after each of the past altercations.

But with violence entrenched in Chinese basketball and brutal assaults finding their way into friendly exhibitions, apologies don’t go very far.

Reply #477031 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It was poorly reffed and it got out of control. After China got the better of the calls in Game 1 it was definitely the Aussies turn in Game 2, and Chinese teams have plenty of form of getting out of control when things aren't going their way.

Re last series, the games in each country were split and Australia won easily on points differential. The last game in China the refs basically whistled Australia out of the game, and I wouldnt be surprised by some more home cooking this time around.

I think the bigger issue is why can so few of our refs call the game as it is internationally? The calls in G2 were a complete mixed bag.

As for the basketball, impressive performance from the Aussies in a physical, scrappy game, Worthington making another strong statement.

Reply #477039 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

BTW, I see the comment the CBA allow heavy contact - where does this come from? The CBA games I watch are very tightly called.

Reply #477040 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Regarding the Jervis incident at halfcourt that resulted in two and possession for China, it seemed like the ref was indicating to the Chinese coach that there were multiple techs for players coming onto the floor from the bench. So it could've simply been those canceling out in China's favour without anything being called on either Jervis or the Chinese player.

But we'll never know, because nobody on the TV side of things bothered to find out. Was any announcement made in the venue?

Reply #477047 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

I may have missed it but who were the refs at these games? I'm assuming Wortho was the Captain and brought into this team to be the thug. He was unhappy at having to play this series and prove his worth.

Reply #477051 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Found them, Hogan, Lyons and Reid.
Pleased to see Lyons, didn't get enough NBL games this season IMO. Don't know much about the others.

Reply #477052 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I noticed a china player clapping above his head to the crowd like it was the end of the game with 2 minutes to go, so the china coach did motion to them to come off, then changed his mind.
Lemanis did tell them to stop physical stuff and play basketball at time out in the fourth

Reply #477061 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He was unhappy at having to play this series and prove his worth.
Wortho looked pretty keen to be out there to me.

Reply #477067 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

I expect he would always give his best, once out there, but he was still unhappy he couldn't take some time off without risking his place in the next group. A bit like having to go to Spain etc 2012 for pre Olympic stuff but most of the final 12 stayed back in Australia. I expect him to be in the 12 for World Champs. Too handy.

Reply #477079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wortho is a quality experienced player but he just makes some bone headed decisions. He had a very poor nbl season by his standards also. I expect him to be in the squad of 16 and probably squeeze into the final 12

Reply #477081 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Thanks for the Videos LC. Chinese basketball really need to a better job of stamping out that kind of play from there games

Reply #477104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like the Chinese are...dare I say it...butt hurt.

Reply #477116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But I am a believer when you commit to being an active participant in a game, you comply with the rules of that game.

Especially if you are coaching.

So when you cop a second technical foul - as the Chinese coach did – the rules say you leave.

You don't hang around and play the hard-done-by card, the I-don’t-understand card or the throw-my-hands-in-the-air-and-despair card.

That’s BS, whether you are pulling the stunt here, in China or in Bulgaria.

All it achieves is to make a mockery of the contest and, worse, by example tell your players it is, in fact, OK to carry on as if you are being victimised and to disregard the local authority.

Like I said, BS.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/sino-aussie-series-borders-on-farce/

Boti spot on.

Reply #477124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some cultural observations: The Chinese team has little concept of sportsmanship or fair play. This is derived from mainland Chinese cultural attitudes. They don't respect rules or procedures. It is culturally accepted to find ways around the rules. Cheat, lie, bribe. With their growth in power, they feel entitled.

This attitude is even reflected on the world political stage. They bully every nation around them and expect to get what they want. The recent territorial disputes in the South China Sea are evidence of this.

The behaviour of the Chinese coach was disgraceful, as was the player who tried to trip Martin. Notice these unsportsmanlike acts happen when things don't go their way. It's the Chinese dummy-spit.

Reply #477144 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

afl interest in greenwood, his grandfather kicked a lotta goals for melbourne.
mr rabbott keen to cut back on abc and sbs coverages

Reply #477186 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I cannot see Greenwood heading to footy. He will go pro as a baller and likely end up in Europe, and then coaching hoops in the USA when he retires.

Reply #477221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does he have a European passport, because small Aussie guards don't usually end up as imports over there, not in high paying competitions anyway.

Reply #477224 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:19 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754