Anonymous
Years ago

great interview with thon maker @ eurocamp

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/video-thon-maker-at-adidas-eurocamp/

Topic #34624 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He really needs to take off that USA singlet :-)

Reply #477980 | Report this post

G.W. Bush  
Years ago

If the guy cant say yes, I cant wait to play for my country at an Olympic games then what the Heck. Is he waiting to see if Team USA give him some feedback that he will play for them and if not then he will choose Australia.

I cant see myself cheering for this guy if he doesn't really see himself Australian or want to play for Australia and need us chasing him to put on the aussie singlet. All the best to him

Reply #478035 | Report this post

Our game  
Years ago

Almost infinitely complex situation for this kid, if he were my kid I'd be telling him to play his cards close as Dante has done so cleverly. Unfortunately, wat he wants to do might not be the defining factor, with everyone in his ear about how great he'll be, I bet they all know what's best for him better than he does too!

Say he makes aussie team & plays, expectation would be incredible, anything less hurts his stock, sadly can't see why he'd risk it.

Reply #478036 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

I think it must be difficult for someone who has come from very little and has high expectations both from themselves and their family riding on their Pro career to know what is best for development.

Im sure the NBA is his main focus and why wouldn't it be, he is highly rated as a High Schooler in the USA as a 7' 17 year old playing against other 17 years olds but that value could drop and so could his development/confidence if he's forced to play against much better competition at a international level.

That being said he seems to be genuinely interested in playing for Australia but time will tell. And I don't expect Basketball Australia to give him preferential treatment (also they don't have the means to), so no harm in extending the welcome from Andrej.

Good news is Dante and Ben are super talented and are fully committed to the Boomers

Reply #478038 | Report this post

G.W. Bush  
Years ago

Yeh I hear what you guys are saying and im not saying he has to commit to playing this year. He can wait till his drafted, but if it was me, I would say publicly I cant wait to play for my country and put on the Aussie singlet in years to come. Privately he can tell Andrej look I don't want to play for the boomers until im drafted or whatever, but publicly give the impression to all the fans and future team mates that are passionate about representing their country that you are too. Anyway just my opinion.

Reply #478048 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

yeah I understand what you're saying 'W', thats why it is good to see other guys like Exum and Simmons put up their hand so early on and make it a priority of theirs to play for Australia

Reply #478064 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I can see where he is conflicted as well. He could feel a little nation less. On one hand he may feel like Australia took him and his family in, on the other hand it seems his formative years are being spent in America. I hope he suits up for us but you can see a world in which he would go to team USA if he gets good feedback.

Reply #478066 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Sounds to me that he is wisely just keeping a lid on it all.

Reply #478074 | Report this post

Our Game  
Years ago

Single largest upside to Thon for basketball in this country is that if he becomes a household name as many have predicted, we might see half the KD/Bron jerseys worn replaced by Thon.
That level of success potentially results in a pandemic of similar players emerging, BA should be working on a clear path for these kids & licking their lips!

Reply #478101 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's not like the general population here is perfectly welcoming of refugees. I imagine that and the lure of the showy best in the US appeals to him.

Reply #478104 | Report this post

Our Game  
Years ago

Spot on Issac, his Aus experience might not be pleasant as we assume & expecting his services as debt of gratitude is awfully presumptuous.

Regarding the interview, he's suddenly awfully smooth for a 17yo, nicely non-committal & seamlessly sidestepped most of the direct questions, perhaps if he's a bust a career in politics looms:)

Reply #478112 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:19 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754