Magic
Years ago

Magic going PF then PG on draft day?

ESPN Insider Story:
As a Magic fan, I was hoping the Magic would pick Exum.
But it looks more & more likely that they will draft either Randle or Vonleh.

If the magic does draft a PF,
That leaves the Jazz & Celtics at 5 & 6 (Both already have point guards)
Is there a chance the lakers might get their wish & draft Exum.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Magic going PF then PG on draft day?

Both last year and this year, draft experts projected the Orlando Magic to target a point guard with their top pick.

Last year, that was No. 2, and many projected them to take Marcus Smart before the point guard elected to bypass on the NBA and return to college. This year with pick No. 4, a case could be made for either Australian phenom Dante Exum or Smart.

But according to the latest from ESPN Insider Chad Ford, the Magic -- which also have the rights to pick No. 12 -- could be shifting gears with their draft-day approach.

With a shortage of elite power forwards (Noah Vonleh, Julius Randle, Aaron Gordon) and an abundance of promising point guards (Exum, Smart, Elfrid Payton, Tyler Ennis, Zach LaVine) the Magic could opt to go for a big man first before addressing the point guard position with their second lottery pick. That way, they'd be able to add another key frontcourt option alongside Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris while also coming away with a solid point guard prospect.

Here's our own Chad Ford with more.

Chad Ford
Orlando may now be favoring Vonleh over Exum
"We've consistently had the Magic taking a point guard at No. 4. They've been high on both Exum and Smart all year. Smart already has come in for a workout, and Exum is scheduled to arrive next week for his. But the Magic might end up opting to go another route. The team really needs a power forward and Vonleh looks like a great fit next to Nikola Vucevic on the front line. His shot blocking on the defensive end plus his ability to stretch the floor on the other end is a perfect complement to Vucevic. With the several interesting point guards likely to be available at No. 12, the Magic might be able to get the best of both worlds."

Topic #34630 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are so certain then put money on it as the sporting places have Exum going to magic at very short odds around $1.60.

Reply #478116 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Can see him getting to Celtic's as not sure the Jazz really fit for Dante.

Love him at the Lakers thou.

Reply #478119 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Love how Ford can make this assumption before Exum even has a workout with Orlando!!!!

Maybe wait until after that and see how Orlando feels.

I am kind of scared he will go to the black holes of the Bucks and Kings.
I guess he could develop for 5 years and then sign somewhere useful.

Reply #478123 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Unless Jabari Parker slips (not happening) or the Magic can trade up for him, it would be a poor move to pass on Exum, IMO.

Reply #478181 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Reason being because Bucks and Philly are wild on Exum. Only reason lando would be stupid enough not to take Dante. I am a magic fan and if we to Noah over Dante i will be extremely pissed!!

Reply #478186 | Report this post

Magic  
Years ago

Chad Fords Latest Mock Draft has Exum going to the Jazz at 5.
Vonleh & Elfrid Payton going to the magic at 4 & 12.

Not sure if I like either of those moves.
If I was taking a PF, I would go with Randle.
Then maybe look at either Tyler Ennis or Zach LaVine for PG
Ennis looked really good in some of the Syracuse games this year.

----------------------------------------------------------------

1) Joel Embiid Cleveland Cavaliers (33 - 49) COLLEGE: Kansas HT: 7-0 WT: 250 POS: C
Wiggins, Parker and Embiid all are in the mix here. On lottery night, a Cavs source told me that they had Parker ranked highest on their board all year because of his ability to come in and make an immediate impact and believe Embiid has the most upside of anyone in the draft and fits a long-term need for them. However, the source felt that Wiggins in the end would be the compromise pick -- someone who has both elite upside as well as a player who can play (especially defensively) impactful minutes right out of the gate.

That said, if Embiid is cleared by the Cavs' doctors, and if general manager David Griffin can convince owner Dan Gilbert to be patient and wait on Embiid, I think he gets the nod here. The first question will begin to be answered on Tuesday. Embiid has finally arrived in Cleveland for a physical and workout. While Embiid certainly looked healthy enough during a workout in Santa Monica, Calif., a few weeks ago, until the Cavs' doctors green light him, we just don't know. And Gilbert is anxious for the Cavs to be a playoff team. Drafting the guy who's likely to have the least impact next season is going to be a tough sell. At the end of the day I think the Cavs would prefer to trade the pick, but unless they are getting someone like Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge in return, I don't think they pull the trigger.

2) Jabari Parker Milwaukee Bucks (15 - 67) COLLEGE: Duke HT: 6-8 WT: 241 POS: SF
The Bucks appear to be intrigued with all four players here: Embiid, Parker, Wiggins and Australian point guard Dante Exum.

If Embiid goes No. 1, I think Parker will likely get the nod here. While new ownership has made it clear that they are OK with GM John Hammond fully engaging the rebuilding process, the reality is that the team needs to draft a player who can help now. Parker is the most NBA ready of the group and gives them a go to scorer who likely would be slotted to play the 4 between Larry Sanders and Giannis Antetokounmpo.

If Parker isn't on the board, Embiid has intrigued the team for a while. Given his offensive prowess (and Sanders utter lack thereof) they feel he's a good fit. Of course, as the Bucks keep breaking down tape, they keep getting more excited about Wiggins. They fly to Santa Barbara, Calif., this week to watch Wiggins workout. It will be interesting to see if that sells the Bucks on him. Exum is the wild card. The team gets him in for a workout this weekend. They'd really like to upgrade the point and move Brandon Knight to the 2. If Exum wows in the workout, he could move to the top of their board. I think he fits their biggest need.

3) Andrew Wiggins Philadelphia 76ers (19 - 63) COLLEGE: Kansas HT: 6-8 WT: 200 POS: SG
This is a dream scenario for the 76ers. They would take Wiggins at No. 1 if they could, and having him fall to No. 3 would be a godsend. The Sixers actually have engaged the Cavs about moving to No. 1. They aren't willing to give up both the Nos. 3 and 10 picks. But a combination of No. 3 and Thaddeus Young is a possibility. And it's a great scenario for Wiggins, as well. Of the three top teams, his camp prefers the Sixers as the best possible fit. This could be a win-win for both. If Wiggins isn't on the board for the Sixers, I'm told they'll take whoever is left between Embiid and Parker. Dante Exum also isn't out of the question here, but I hear he'll need to wow them when he rolls into Philadelphia next week for his workout with them

4) Noah Vonleh Orlando Magic (23 - 59) COLLEGE: Indiana HT: 6-10 WT: 247 POS: PF
We've consistently had the Magic taking a point guard at No. 4. They've been high on both Exum and Marcus Smart all year. Smart already has come in for a workout, and Exum is scheduled to arrive next week for his. But the Magic might end up opting to go another route.

The team really needs a power forward and Vonleh looks like a great fit next to Nikola Vucevic on the front line. His shot blocking on the defensive end plus his ability to stretch the floor on the other end is a perfect complement to Vucevic. With the several interesting point guards likely to be available at No. 12, the Magic might be able to get the best of both worlds.

5) Dante Exum Utah Jazz (25 - 57) COLLEGE: Australia HT: 6-6 WT: 196 POS: PG
This might be a dream scenario for the Jazz. While Exum could go to the Bucks, Sixers or Magic (in fact, those are the only teams for whom he's scheduled to workout), there is also a chance he slides. The Bucks and Sixers both have players higher than him on their boards (though workouts might change that) and the Magic are seriously looking at Vonleh at 4.

This is a no-brainer for the Jazz, even if he refuses to come workout. The team doesn't really need another big. They need size at the PG position and Exum also can play off the ball with Trey Burke as well. The team could obviously take Marcus Smart here, but I've heard they aren't as high on him as some other teams.

If Exum is gone, Vonleh probably has a small edge over Aaron Gordon and Julius Randle right now.

6) Aaron GordonBoston Celtics (25 - 57) COLLEGE: Arizona HT: 6-9 WT: 220 POS: PF
The Celtics continue to explore all options and after panning the draft most of the year, Celtics boss Danny Ainge now likes several players. I think Gordon and Marcus Smart are the top two contenders for this pick of the remaining players on the board, with the edge right now toward Gordon. Both Gary Harris and Doug McDermott will get looks here as well.

Trades always remain an option for Boston. If they can move this pick for a young impact player, they won't hesitate.

7) Julius Randle Los Angeles Lakers (27 - 55) COLLEGE: Kentucky HT: 6-9 WT: 234 POS: PF
The Lakers keep shopping this pick but are struggling to find an All-Star caliber big in return. If the Cavs can't get that type of player with the No. 1 overall pick, the Lakers are probably not getting it at pick No. 7. If the Lakers keep it, they'll want a player who can come in and contribute from day one, and three players -- Randle, Smart and Doug McDermott -- seem to be the targets.

Randle, along with Parker, might be the most NBA-ready freshman in the draft. With the Lakers' entire front line heading into free agency this summer (including Pau Gasol, Chris Kaman and Jordan Hill), the Lakers are going to have a lot of needs up front. Smart could give them size and toughness at point guard and has garnered buzz since his strong workout in L.A. But don't completely count out McDermott. The Lakers loved his workout in L.A. and know his shooting would be an immediate asset on the team. If Kobe Bryant is going to pass the ball, he'll want to pass it to someone who is going to make his shots.

8) Marcus Smart Sacramento Kings (28 - 54) COLLEGE: Oklahoma State HT: 6-3 WT: 227 POS: PG
The Kings also are listening to offers for their pick (apparently no one shops their picks anymore they just listen). If they can get someone who can play right now, they'll likely go that direction. They've shown interest in the Minnesota's Kevin Love, but have also lowered their sights for players like the Atlanta's Dennis Schroeder, and I'm told they also like Milwaukee's Brandon Knight.

However, if Smart is on the board here he'll be tough to pass. He's the perfect fit for a coach like Mike Malone. And don't count out Elfrid Payton here. He's coming off a terrific workout in Sacramento. If Smart is off then board, he's a possibility.

9) Doug McDermott Charlotte Hornets (43 - 39) COLLEGE: Creighton HT: 6-8 WT: 218 POS: SF
McDermott seems to be a perfect fit for any team that needs shooting, offense from the small forward position and someone who can step on the court and contribute right now. He checks all of those boxes. McDermott has just three workouts scheduled as of now and has already worked out with the Lakers and Celtics. It looks like he might not be getting out of the top 10. Gary Harris, Nik Stauskas and Elfrid Payton are the other players getting long looks here.

10) Dario Saric Philadelphia 76ers (19 - 63) COLLEGE: Croatia HT: 6-10 WT: 223 POS: PF
This is Philly's second lottery pick, so they can afford to gamble a little bit here. Saric's situation remains cloudy. Will he be coming to the NBA next season or is he staying in Europe for a few more years? If he can assure teams he's coming to the NBA next season, he could go this high or higher. He's an amazing talent and with so many athletes on the roster already, getting someone as skilled as Saric to help facilitate things would be a terrific fit in Philly. A combo of Michael Carter-Williams, Nerlens Noel, Wiggins and Saric would be a terrific core. All they need would need is a lights-out shooter. Gary Harris and Nik Stauskas are other possibilities with this pick.

11) Gary Harris Denver Nuggets (36 - 46) COLLEGE: Michigan State HT: 6-5 WT: 205 POS: SG
Sources say the Nuggets have had serious discussions with the Bulls about swapping No. 11 for Nos. 16 and 19. If the Bulls get this pick, they'll grab either Harris or Stauskas here. If the Nuggets keep their pick, look for them to focus on their back court. Ty Lawson is the only real foundation piece they have. Nik Stauskas and a host of other wings are all possibilities here but the word is that Harris was a wow for them in workouts. Now that he's fully healthy and explosive again (Harris measured a 40-inch max vertical in his Lakers workout) he's another guy who could start rising.

12) Elfrid Payton Orlando Magic (23 - 59) COLLEGE: Louisiana Lafayette HT: 6-4 WT: 185 POS: PG
If the Magic decide to go big with their first pick and draft Vonleh, then look for them to address point guard with their second pick. Payton, Tyler Ennis and Zach LaVine are all possibilities here. Ennis is the purest point guard of the group. LaVine offers the most size and athleticism. But Payton is a great blend of the two. He's long, athletic and gets to the line. He defends and has such a dynamic game. He's now in play as high as the Lakers at No. 7.

Reply #478196 | Report this post

k  
Years ago

I would love to have Vonleh and Payton. I also like Exum and Smart. The question really is can you get an elite power forward at 12? Can you get an elite point gaurd at 12? I would rather have Vonleh and Payton then Exum and ?, or Randle and ?. Just my opinion.

Reply #478641 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:45 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754