Happy Days
Years ago

Coaching Quandary???

Tonite 3 minutes to go down by 5.Sub out 2 of my starters who haven't scored and bring on 2 bench players that can score and play D.Win after the buzzer by 1 and then one parent rips shreds off me for benching her son. This is U16 so there is an expectation to win as we havent won a game all season.

Your thoughts?

Topic #34636 | Report this topic

Spinner  
Years ago

My question would be why did you wait until 3 minutes to go before taking the starters off, if they hadn't scored?

Reply #478213 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Firstly, don't worry about the parent. When you compromise your style and rotations to satisfy third parties you might as become a Senate Politician.
Secondly, don't take it out on the player because the mum has riled you. Weak coaches do this. Some of those weak minded coaches just need to man up.

If you haven't won a game all year and this was your first, then congratulations. Obviously what you did in the end got you the +6 points you needed. Perhaps reflect on what plays worked and what rotations gave you that result.

Finally, if you are worried about the mother going off again over her precious getting benched, your Team Manager is a good way to calm the situation, or find another parent who can influence her mindset.

Reply #478218 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Who cares ?

You make the call - starter/non-starter means nothing.

I'd listen to the parent, nod my head and then just say I made the decision that I thought best suited the situation. If the parent was abusive, just stay calm and say perhaps now ain't the best time and break contact.

Coaching ain't easy, don't 2nd guess yourself and no one should know your team better than you.

Reply #478219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems to me the 2 'bench' players should be your starters from the brief description you gave us!

Reply #478220 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Was thinking the same thing . . .

Reply #478223 | Report this post

bloody parents  
Years ago

Nothing worse than a parent complaining after a game. Sounds like you made a smart move.
Its interesting that some players are potently capable but the second tier are often the ones that just make it happen.
I see talented players who just aren't competitive, lack lister when the chops are down and yet other players who aren't all that are the ones that attack and score when desperate to win.
Back your judgement tell the parent to back the FUCK up lol. I'm happy to chat to parents who offer constructive input or have questions but that parent should take a seat.

Reply #478224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From the coaches comments here seems parents are right to worry about the arrogance of coaches.

Reply #478230 | Report this post

Coach Pop  
Years ago

^Anon your statement is invalid.. Theres no arrogance in the above comments, coach made a winning decision - parent made a poor decision and set a poor example if done in front of their child.

Reply #478234 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How could anyone defend the parent here? Coach made a reasonable decision and won the game.

Reply #478241 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

The worst thing about the parent is its my WIFE!!!! I rotate my players evenly but when the game is on the line i go with my best 5 on the night that can win the game. Dare say my wife didnt appreciate me benching my son....

Reply #478247 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Oh, Happy Days, seriously.....? You have absolutely no where to go here mate, can't you just hide her car keys or something next time perhaps!

I don't know if I should laugh or cry here...

Reply #478250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cut the kid, divorce your wife. All solved. *jokes*

230, I have some concerns for you and your progeny......

Reply #478251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dear Coach

Only true course of action here is Bench your wife

Reply #478252 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I told her she can coach the team next week....You get criticsed when you loose and you get criticised when you win!!!Coaching is a thankless job.

Reply #478256 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Happy Wife = Happy Life

Reply #478257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

252, LOL!!

Reply #478258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach Orphans.......

No parent involvement !!!!!

Reply #478292 | Report this post

fonz  
Years ago

Avoid coaching your own child saves on a lot of problems as if coaching is easy.

Reply #478296 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Happy Days, here is an example of the Parent Code of Conduct commonly included in club policy:

Coaches should not be approached immediately after or during a game by parents, where necessary parents should arrange a meeting time suitable to both parties to discuss concerns at a later time.

Not sure how it works with a parent who is also a wife, that still makes me chuckle mate, sorry...

Reply #478301 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Bear, that's pretty common in a lot of clubs.

Sometimes it also gives time for some of the parents to park their broomstick.

Reply #478310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#230 I'm glad I don't coach your kid...

Reply #478314 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I should of got my wife to sign the parents Code of Conduct :) One coach One voice!!!

Reply #478315 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

Happy Wife = Happy Life = Happy Days

Reply #478330 | Report this post

LOL  
Years ago

Are wives ever happy???????????????

Reply #478335 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Isaac, when are you putting "like" buttons on comments?

Reply #478337 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I know I digress here, but if we are going down the 'Like' button track can we include:

WTF
OMG
and DITO

Reply #478338 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

hilarious Richie Cunningham?You sound like a gem.Should be more of your type out there .good luck with the little lady.

Reply #478369 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:12 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754