NotJackToft
Years ago

SA SBL - Round 11 Preview

After yet another Season break, we are back with Round 11 of the SA State Basketball League.

Women's: Southern (8th 3-7) v Norwood (1st 9-1)

The Flames women fell to the Sabres in Round 10, breaking their 30 game win streak. However the Flames were without key starter Jess Foley, and still remain the favourite to this years title.

The Tigers ran over an underwhelming Lions side, breaking their drought to get back into the win column. The win, whilst a solid performance, was expected, and anything less against Centrals would have been a catastrophe.

Norwood pasted the Tigers in Round 2, notching a 39 point win against an arguably stronger Tigers side than what they will face this Round. The Flames will be out for a post-loss feast, and I expect them to dismantle the 8th placed Southern.

Norwood by 40.

Women’s: Sturt (3rd 7-3) v Eastern (9th 1-9)

The Sabres stopped the streak in Round 10, and look to consolidate their position as title challengers.

The Mavericks are on a 5 game slide, and are likely to only beat the Lions again this season, to finish at 2-16.

The Sabres Natalie Novosel has been a huge in, 3rd in scoring with 20.6ppg, and 3rd is assists with 4.3apg. Sturt will need a conscious effort on the boards to stop leading rebounder Emma Hooley, who is dragging in 12.8rpg.

In their Round 2 clash, Sturt got up by 43 points, and they should push this margin to plus 50, as they improve the quality of their game.

Sturt by 51.

Women’s: West (5th 5-5) v North (2nd 8-2)

The Bearcats have seen a mid season resurgence with the inclusion of Anna Carbo into their squad. Carbo is averaging 22ppg in her last three outings, with the team going 3 from 4, and defeating the Sabres in her first appearance.

North have had a great season so far, by their Round 10 slip up going down to the Warriors is a serious blemish on their record, and questions are now being asked about their resolve.

The Round 2 clash was a nail biter, with the Bearcats finishing fast, but the clock beat them in the end, with the Rockets taking a 5 point win.

With the inclusion of Carbo to the West line up, and North looking unsettled, this game is poised to be a ripper.

West by 2.

Women’s: Woodville (6th 5-5) v South (4th 7-3)

Both teams are on a 2 game win streak, with the Panthers downing the struggling Eagles by 14, and the Warriors downing the in form Rockets by 9 points in an upset.

Although the game is at St.Clair, the Panthers have a perfect away record of 5-0, whilst the Warriors features a home record of 1-3. Their Round 2 clash was an instant classic, with leading scorer Janae Howard nailing a dagger on the overtime buzzer to take the win.

The Warriors have improved from Round 2, but so have the Panthers with the inclusion of their collegiate players strengthening their bench.

I predict another heart stopper, however the depth of the Panthers will see them over the line.

South by 7.

Women’s: Forestville (7th 5-5) v Centrals (10th 0-10)

The Eagles women season is hanging by a thread, after one of their worst seasons in recent years. The Lions are struggling to compete week and week, with 10 straight losses and a percentage of 55%, they are not only getting beaten, but hammered most games.

The Eagles have lost their last 2 in a row, and should bounce back with a gimme game here against Centrals. Round 2 saw a 47 point win in favour of Forestville, and I expect Sharon to be out for blood, as they need to find some momentum in the back half of the season.

Forestville by 45.

Top 5 play the bottom 5 in the men, and with the log jam at the top, this is not the week to drop a winnable game.

Men’s: Southern (8th 4-6) v Norwood (3rd 7-3)

Southern men are in the midst of a season ending slide, dropping four in a row, and playing some uncompetitive ball along the way. The other side of the coin is the Flames, who have been super hot the last 5 rounds, downing title contenders along the way as they find their groove.

Their Round 2 clash saw the Tigers take a slim 2 point win, however both sides fate has changed since with Norwood now looking a contender, and Southern a pretender.

The Flames have significant depth, and against the youthful Tigers, they should see another W this week.

Norwood by 12.

Men’s: Sturt (5th 5-5) v Eastern (10th 1-9)

The Sabres men have seen some of the best hoops and worst hoops this season, as they struggle to find consistency in their offensive output. Import Dexter Moore has put up impressive stat lines, however on the back of a large number of attempts.

The Mavericks are still looking for win number two, and whilst they have been competitive in most games, and for 30 minutes of each game, their inexperience in patches has hurt them as they have slipped away.

Sturt won their Round 2 clash by 15 points, and will be desperate to secure win number 6 as they hang on to fifth spot.

Sabres by 20.

Men’s: West (2nd 7-3) v North (9th 3-7)

The Bearcats have looked super dangerous at their best, dismantling team with their efficient inside outside game. The Rockets have been woeful, managing a few wins along the way, but for the most part getting dominated like we are not used to seeing.

West secured an easy 20 point win in Round 2, as the Rockets could only put up 58 points for the game. West Import guard Jason Dawson is all but a lock for all star five, as his input on the court unmatched at his position.

North are all but done, and whether or not this drives them to perform, or fall flat, is yet to be seen.

West by 18.

Men’s: Woodville (1st 7-3) v South (6th 5-5)

The Panthers have been this years surprise packet, taking some big scalps and looking like they can compete with the top sides. Bradley Reid has had a huge impact for the Panthers, helping guard Shane Boal with his career revival.

The Warriors have had a tumultuous season on and off the court this season, however they are letting their game do all the talking as they firm as title favourites. With the log head from 1st to 4th, a win here for the Warriors is important. However the Panthers sitting in 6th on percentage behind the Sabres, would love to see their team one game ahead in 5th place leading into the back 6 games.

Round 2 saw the Warriors with a 22 point win, and if Woodville play at their best, the same result should be expected. But don’t count out the Panthers.

Woodville by 13.

Men’s: Forestville (7th 4-6) v Centrals (4th 7-3)

The Eagles men are performing much like their women’s side, however still a reasonable chance of playing finals. They are only 1 game behind the Sabres, but based on recent form, I wouldn’t put the house on it.

The Lions are the hottest team in the league, with 6 straight wins, they have stormed into the top four, and a win here keep them in touch. Kyle Miller and Chris Clausen have been instrumental in their form revival, and you know that Scotty would be chomping at the bit to play some serious finals ball.

The Lions got up by 20 in Round 2, and on recent results this game should go the same way.

Centrals by 17.

Topic #34651 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Miller is not playing for Centrals is he?

Reply #478423 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

Kyle Miller has been playing for Centrals the past few seasons... unless he has shipped out now??

Reply #478424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't mean not ever...I meant not now. I believe he has gone back home for a while.

Reply #478426 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

Well that is a big out for the Lions then. Will be interesting to see how they adjust without their go to guy of recent times. Thanks Anon!

Reply #478427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard Woodville's season continues to be rocky with the new coach sacking Daniel Sims this week!

Reply #478444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smart move by the new coach, Sims too much of a loose cannon imo

Reply #478522 | Report this post

Adam Gibson cleared and registered for his annual stint with the eagles this week, well done again forestville

Reply #478531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That will help them.

Reply #478544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep another smart move

Reply #478556 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I'm sure the 2 and a half minutes per game for 7 games will be worth the admission.

Reply #478563 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Why is the decision to let a player go deemed to be part of a "rocky" season?.
Don't know much about him but have heard and read about disruptive, selfish behaviour, so perhaps the coach has made an overdue decision.
I guess we will see over the next few weeks.

Reply #478568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been around a bit and seen said player in action. Can honestly say in my 30+ years of involvement, I have never seen a player more self obsessed, disrespectful to team mates and coch and show not one iota of 'team' mentality.
After a certain game recently he should have been dismissed on the spot! Woodville will be much more of a threat without him.

Reply #478586 | Report this post

AHOS  
Years ago

Re Sims totally agree with last post.

Reply #478587 | Report this post

So are we thinking Gibson will only do enough to qualify, not keen on an injury before worlds and then able to play finals if he somehow doesn't make the boomers team ?

Will he bring his own apples!

Reply #478596 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

My picks pretty much agree with NotJack.

For me:
Women
Norwood to beat Southern by 50 or more
Sturt to beat Eastern by 20
South to beat Woodville by 30
Forestville to beat Centrals by 40 or more
North to beat West by 15

Men
Norwood to beat Southern by 30
Sturt to beat Eastern by 15
Woodville to beat South by 9, but could be totally wrong here
Central to beat Forestville by 12 if Kyle plays
West to beat North by 15 if West guards shoot a reasonable percentage

Reply #478605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

definitely No Miller for centrals

Reply #478634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson starts for Forestville, fouls on the first possession, and is subbed out. Logs a total of two seconds.

Within the rules - yes.
Within the spirit of the game - no.

Disgusting sportsmanship by Forestville. Shame.

Reply #478733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umpiring in a word, terrible in the women's game at St Clair. Solid win by South.

Reply #478734 | Report this post

Dirty Sanchez  
Years ago

What coach would be proud of doing that? For the players that have to make way for this bloke in finals, just remember, there's 9 other clubs out there!

Says a lot about player, coach and club!

Reply #478737 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Gibson lasted 4 seconds, not 2

Reply #478742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there any pressure on Tucker to get results at the tigers or because he was a good player does he get a free pass?

Don't blame forestville for playing within the rules, make it 10 qualifying games

Reply #478743 | Report this post

3Peat  
Years ago

Many other examples before Forestville's tonight..

Reply #478745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's been happening for years, why are people surprised? They'd recruit over the top their grandma if they thought it would help them win. Their ABA coaches also now coaching their own kids. I guess this is to make sure they get the best coaching available. Wonder if they will recruit over the top of their kids haha

Reply #478746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Completely differentt story at some clubs as they have players injured that are under drs orders to start with low minutes and increase each game.

Reply #478749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umpiring at woodville / south game terrible? Woodville coach needs to understand good teams will cut out his import and he needs a plan B . Coach just runs the same plan each play thru two players so don't blame the umps for limited coaching skills.

Reply #478750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with above. South did a great job on their important. In watching the game though, the umpiring did seem to be very inconsistant. Story of the season really.

Reply #478751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodvilles coach needs a decent assistant

Reply #478761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only 4 Seconds ?
Thats making a mockery of the competition qualifying rules
Needs to change as Forestville deem it a loophole using the minimum in both the men and Women over the last 3 years
Anyone in CABL with a spine ?

Reply #478767 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Mmmmm, I wonder if a tobacco company selling cigarettes to kids with asthma would have more ethics?

Reply #478768 | Report this post

3Peat  
Years ago

Woodville have done it with Starling & Norwood with Foley this season.

North with Peatrie last season..

This isn't new ground...

Reply #478779 | Report this post

ForestGumpville  
Years ago

Anyone in CABL with a spine?
You mean BSA? maybe ask Paul Arnott
Competitions Manager

Direct (08) 8345 8606
[email protected]

· District Competition Management
· Central ABL Management
· SA Junior State Championships

Oh yeah currently coaches at Forestville and was the former possibly still acts as Junior Coaching Director/Basketball Manager at Forestville Eagles Basketball Club.

No conflict there, ask but what would he care.

Reply #478785 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

If the rules allow it, then it doesn't matter if someone has a spine or not.

Reply #478787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is typical of sharon and simon or for that matter their club. all aout their egos and winning champs. who cares bout ethics but pritchard no different. not about club development all about personal devloipmnt. what's in it for me.
saron simon simon shames

Reply #478798 | Report this post

3Peat  
Years ago

I think the development league is down the road..I'll have some of what your on though...

Reply #478799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What club develops really as all are looking for a
quick fix at the top end. How many juniors are in each home team's CABL , sfa! Basketball is great to play but fecking useless at doing itself a favour.

Reply #478824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What Junior team do the ABL coaches at Eagles coach. I'd be more than happy to have those two coaching my kids. Wow - people are kidding themselves, to think of two ABA coaches, coaching a junior team at the club is an issue, regardless if their child is in the team.

#478746)

Sharon and Andy can coach my kids team anytime!

Reply #479173 | Report this post

Hero Dad  
Years ago

Sharon doing junior development at Forestville is awesome. My sons benefit. Other peoples kids benefit great! Kids really enjoy having the ladies coach helping them out. Bring it on.

Reply #479511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No confidence in the others is the reason

Reply #479523 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:13 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754