Anonymous
Years ago

Big V Referee's Mid season review paper

MID SEASON REVIEW

"I can honestly say that I have never seen a bigger contrast in philosophy of officiating from the first months of the season to what has been happening over recent weeks." One coaches response to the games recently.

What happened to protecting the ball carrier and hands on player driving to the hoop? “Did we go back to last season?” A second coaches response.

“The game over the past two weekends has resembled the previous season's of World Wrestling Federation (WWF) contests.” A third coaches response.

Clearly, as general comment on the last couple of rounds games we have dropped the ball with our focus on the basic principles;
• No hands on the ball carrier
• Protect the shooter
• Charge / Block calls - if it is close i.e. a 50 / 50 call then it is a block.

We MUST continue to work on the directions given on the training video from the start of the season. DO NOT undo all the good work we have generated since the beginning of the season.

“I have supported the direction at the start of the season but the last couple of weeks makes me believe that all of the people that said that all the changes wouldn’t last are actually right. Very disappointing!” A fourth Big V coaches comments.

Areas that we Need to Continue to Work On;

Court Positioning:

• The major reason for errors of decision-making is Positioning. If you are not in the best position to see the play you compromise your ability to make the correct decision.

• Focus on you Primary Areas of Responsibility. There is no need to Ball Watch. Be aware of where the ball is but ensure you cover your primary area.

• Referee positions need to continually move. It has become evident that referees are tending to get to one position and irrespective of the movement of the players they tend to remain still. We need to move to get the best position to see the play.

• Run quickly into the initial position, but then be prepared to move to get the best position to see the play. One step right or left can often open up the play to allow to make the correct call.

• Referee need to work on their speed up and down the court. Take pride in not allowing players to beat you to a position.

• Poor position often results in the referee making a reactionary call - often resulting in a call in favour of the player who emphasises the contact. “You can’t just call things on impulse and still be a good official” (Referee Magazine)

• Do not get too close to the action – a wider angle on the play makes judgement decisions easier. Work to get back off the play.

• Penetrate and / or hold your position in the trail position when a shot is taken, therefore allowing you to assist with rebound situations.

Areas that we Need to Focus On from the Beginning of the Season:

ACT of Shooting and Continuation:

• Act of shooting and continuous play needs some attention. Once an offensive player picks up the ball in his normal shooting motion, he is in the act of shooting. If he is fouled after picking up the ball and in his continuous motion he attempts to score a basket is successfully scores a basket, points shall be counted and free throw(s) awarded. There is no relationship between the number of legal steps taken and the act of shooting.

Protecting the Shooter:

• Ensure there is protection of the shooter – any contact on the shooter gives an advantage to the defence and places the offence at a disadvantage.

• Pay particular attention to outside shooter and defenders closing out taking the landing position of the airborne shooter. A shooter is entitled to return to the floor and is still in a shooting motion until ne returns to the floor.

Contact on the ball Carrier:

• Ensure we police any contact on the ball carrier’s.
1. One hand on and staying on is a foul
2. Continually jabbing at a player is a foul
3. Two hands on is an automatic foul
4. Bodying up on the ball carrier, encroaching into the offenders cylinder, forcing them to change their line is a foul
5. Bent and or straight arms when out of the defenders cylinder are a foul.

Conclusion:

• Consistency in calling is paramount for all officials.
• Concentrate for the entire 40 minutes and do not let yourself and the team down.
• Remember you are only as good as your last call and your last game.

Topic #34659 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Really is good to see such honesty. Could be a lot of whistles this week though!

Reply #478594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No good berating your officials for under calling the game if you tell them to back off at your last review.

Such a stupid thing to do. The good Teams were adjusting and getting used to it.

Instructing your officials to change the way to call it mid season is moronic.

Big picture: give the refs a break this weekend, they've been beaten pillar to post and poorly guided, build rapport, not burn it.

Reply #478611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can only build rapport if the refs communicate. However, the more limited the ref the poorer the communication as they have no answers when they are calling or not calling like crap.

PS When will the refs start looking at the floppers, and calling it.

Reply #478618 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anything about game management? You know like handling emotions when games are tight, or blowing a tech then realising maybe they were too quick to react, or engaging coaches in a constructive open minded way rather than threatening with a tech or refusing to acknowledge they could have got the call wrong?

No of course not - this is the one and only key issue about why refs and coaches have poor relationships.

Get this right and watch how things improve. Coaches get it that refs make mistakes, as do players and coaches.

What creates the disharmony is when refs try to cover up errors with tech's and/or arrogant condesending remarks.

Come on Big V - focus on the real issue - the referees who have the biggest issues with coaches are the ones sadly lacking in people management skills.

Reply #478679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon= grant spencer.. Pot calling the kettle black with people management skills.. Since you have basically none. All you do is belittle your players from the sideline and show absolutely no respect to even your own players let alone referees. Your post game rants are embarrasing about officials and I've seen it all last season. Condescending coachs like you are giving big v game a bad rep not the umpiring. #bredlife

Reply #478683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well that escalated quickly.

Reply #478695 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Let me assure you I am not grant. But there is no doubt i have touched a nerve with you. Are you one of the refs who can't manage the emotional swings in a game?
Very poor form to firstly name grant and secondly you have just proved my point about not being able to separate personal matters from refereeing.
probably time for you to hang up the whistle.

Reply #478699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whatever froggy hear you stormed out of you game and left your team out to dry in the after match speeches.. No class, how can this goose get a gig for an nbl club let alone a big v side!

Reply #478837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whos froggy

Reply #478985 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:21 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754