KW
Years ago

NBA's trash could be NBL's treasure

some food for thought...

http://exclusivesportsmedia.tv/nbas-trash-could-be-nbls-treasure/

Topic #34669 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bynum will be able to get an NBA contract twice what any NBL club can offer him based on size alone. An ex-allstar caliber would be nigh on impossible to lure to the league.

Iverson is in the same boat as Bynum, better offers elsewhere.

Someone who genuinely wishes to help grow the game would be the only big time player we could attract. Grant Hill seems like the type of guy who could lured on that front, but he seems to be enjoying his cushy media job for NBA TV.

All that being said I think getting washed up NBAers - like Young - is but one route to getting big name stars. Getting bottom second rounders, such as Ennis, is an alternative. I think we'll see both methods used to lure big names with marquee deals, in addition to Aussies playing in Europe (coughDavidBarlowcough) coming back home for the lucrative pay check.

It'd be cool for guys to post who they think could come to the league next season on Marquee deals.

Reply #478809 | Report this post

sam  
Years ago

none of those players are any chance of coming. grant hill has gotta a good media career going to keep playing for example.

bynum and world peace have got too temperamental personalities to be good investments.

Reply #478810 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

Lamar Odom

Reply #478819 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Odom has an option with the Knicks i think.

Reply #478822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same anon as before.

To be honest, I think very only Melbourne, Perth and Sydney will use the marquee rule. Cairns, Townsville and Wollongong don't have the money. Adelaide have previously been able to build contenders on the cheap and the front office seems to focus on the bottom line. The Breakers have stated they don't plan on signing a marquee, however, if I see them using it only if it's the only way to keep Abercrombie or they can use the rule to reobtain Jackson or Penney.

With that being said, here are the players I could see the Kings, Wildcats and United going after. I'll list them by category.

Washed up NBAer:

Jared Cunningham - Pretty awesome athlete for his size, which could mean Euro teams will have first dibs on him. The thought of being a star as opposed to a role player could lure him over though.

Ryan Gomes - Was a nice role player in the NBA for a number of years who was able to put up decent numbers. Was considered a tweener at NBA level but could solidly play PF in the NBL.

Ben Gordon - Unlikely, but if he could be signed it'd be a great coup to get a pure scorer like him in the league.

Josh Howard - I think he's been brought up as a possible marquee signing before, if so it was with good reason. He fits the bill as a veteran who wants one last hurrah as a star player.

Stephen Jackson - NBA wheels are falling off but he still seems to have the desire to play. Would be a great story if he returned to Sydney.

Bernard James - Had a shot with the Mavs and blew it. His only game in the D-League was a 37 point performance, could he dominate in the NBL as well?

Brandon Rush - Had great potential but largely busted. Could be signed by a smaller team not even using the marquee due to bigger teams possibly worrying about his ACL.

Adonis Thomas - Athletic with a decent 3 point shot. He could be a replacement for Ennis, if the Wildcats can sign him over several European and, possibly, NBA suiters.

College Stars:

Markel Brown - Undersized but explosive. Would be a major coup.

Jordan McRae - Unlikely to be drafted, yet he's athletic and can shoot.

Xavier Thames - A late second round pick who's unlikely to make an NBA roster first time around. Ripe for the picking

Will Sheehey - A high motor athlete who could be a good two way player. May not even require marquee.

Returning Aussies:

David Andersen - I'm sure about his current status but if he could be signed by a club I think they should take him.

Cameron Bairstow - A reach, he'll probably prefer to go to Europe and rough it up there for a few seasons, but you can't blame a guy for dreaming.

David Barlow - Rumours have been going on for ages. Would be a quality signing.

Aleks Maric - Another stretch, but he would be a dominate player with credentials (former Boomer and All-Euroleague First Team).

AJ Oligvy - I'm not too sure how far some teams will go, but they could use the marquee rule to keep him in the league.

I spent far too long on that but tell me what you guys think.

Reply #478827 | Report this post

Max Power  
Years ago

what about Brandon Roy? He obviously can not get through an 82 game NBA schedule, could he and would he be willing to come to Oz and play a max of 2 games a week?

There are a bunch of names who could get fans through the doors, I really hope some teams make a push to bring some here. Look at the success of Del Piero in the A League.

If not a name people may know we need exciting high flying type imports like Ennis was.

Some names:

Stromile Swift
Antoine Walker
Gilbert Arenas
Bonzi Wells
Marcus Camby
Corey Maggette
Richard Hamilton
Antawn Jamison
Nazr Muhammed
Jamaal Tinsley

I know some of these guys are old, but guys like D-Mac, Mark Davis, Copeland, Gaze, Bradtke, Loggins, JC and tons more all has success past 40 in our league, so why cant an ex NBA All-Star?

Reply #478829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some guys who i reckon could be more affordable/gettable than guys like Iverson , but many would many be fairly well known to people who follow NBA are:

(Many of them may be in the NBA/Europe/China so out of our price range, but i reckon these guys would be cheaper than the Iverson types, less likely to be in the NBA or media and most havnt made the mega millions that the Iverson/Grant Hills have and possibly more productive on the court in this stage of there careers)

Daniel Gibson
Earl Watson
Toure' Murry
Jamaal Tinsley
Mickael Pietrus
Jared Cunningham
Garrett Temple
Dahntay Jones
Shelvin Mack
Ben Gordon
Darius Miller
James Jones
Chris Singleton
Stephen Jackson
Josh Howard
Robbie Hummel
Damion Jones
James Southerland
Ryan Gomes
Trevor Booker
Earl Clark
Antawn Jamison
Tyrus Thomas

Reply #478833 | Report this post

Prahran Snake  
Years ago

Be happy if we get one trash player down here this coming season
after the summer league idea collapsed, as a fan i fell like ya'll fucked me over BSA

that was a big deal

look for the Breakers to come back strong again this season

Reply #478841 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I don't want to see an Australian being used for the marquee rule unless they're an exceptional player, and at the moment that would only be Bogut, Mills or Delly, maybe Ingles. I think the last thing we need in the NBL is washed up Aussies looking for a cruisy transition to retirement (like Wortho).

The NBL needs to draw fans in and at the moment the fans are at the NBA, so ex-NBA players would be a great drawcard.

Reply #478873 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd love to see Antawn Jamison in the league, he's been my favourite player for a decade... But I can't see him signing with Perth as we already have our 4 bigs signed.

Would still love him in the league though

Reply #479059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with Wilson, but would extend his point to ex-NBAers. We don't want guys like Earl Watson, although he was a good player he isn't likely to be a star in the NBL. He's old and at his peak he wasn't a scorer (he had one season averaging double digits, even then it was on a 20-62 team). We need to use the rule on exciting players, whether they bring that excitement in scoring or athleticism is up to the teams that use the rule.

I wouldn't like guys like Tinsley, the three Jones', Swift, Temple and Walker (have you seen a photo of him lately?) because of this.

Guys like Booker, Clark and Singleton are likely to earn NBA contracts, or - at minimum - cushy Euro deals.

Additionally, I doubt Gibson and Thomas would be good coups because of their attitude. They'd likely be more trouble then they're worth.

I do like the idea of Murry, Mack, Hummel and Southerland though.

Of the older guys, we don't people who have already done their dash, but we still could find those with petrol left in their tank. Guys like Swift and Wells (neither of whom have pro ball in 4/5 years) would be guys to avoid. Camby and Muhammad will probably earn NBA contracts by merit of there size alone, so I wouldn't be hopeful of them coming over.

Hamilton Jamison and Maggette would be good coups though.

Reply #479268 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:41 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754