Isaac
Years ago

NBL News, July 1

Perth have trialled a 5'10" point guard, Kasey Ulin. However, rumour is that he rolled his ankle at training and went back home. Oops.

Hunter have signed ex-Brisbane development project, Jason Eversteyn, who is 7'2". Added to Geordie Cullen and Russell Hinder, this gives the Pirates some height in the paint.

Speaking of height, the Breakers have picked up ex-Taipan Tim Behrendorff for a year. He'll train under John Dorge and back up Ben Pepper as a replacement for Blake Truslove.

Chris Burgess has suffered an ankle sprain playing in the Philippines. Unlikely to hamper his efforts with Cairns once the season begins, but we can only hope...

And closer to home, could there be a problem for the Sixers? They've almost completely inked a deal with Paul Rees but then learned of Paul Rogers' intentions. Too late to change from one Paul to another?

Topic #3467 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Sign Paul Rees ..... and if Blake Truslove can't get a gig anywhere else (that's crazy), sign him too.

Can't teach height. Look at our team v Hunter and work out why we can't beat them.

Reply #40025 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

MOses, Isaac ...

How would signing Reesy and Truslove go witht the points system ? Would we fit ?

Reply #40027 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

By my estimations, we'd have 14 points to spend on two players. Ideally we'd get Rogers and a young guard like Jye Watson but as others have said, it'll come down to Rogers' price, Smyth's interest in him, and whether they can reverse the negotiations with Rees (might be too late). Very tough on Reesy, but the club needs to make it further than the first round of the playoffs and get some cash coming in, and Paul Rogers will do more to assist that and bring in the crowds.

Reply #40030 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

maybe help promote reesys Hoop2Hoop buisness for stuffing him around and sign rogers as he will do alot more on the court than Big Paul

Reply #40033 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Sixers are in a bit of a catch 22 now. They either continue to sign Reesy and miss out on an oppurtunity on Rogers (if one is available) or they Sign Rogers and go back on any verbal agreements or negotiations with Reesy and get rid of the big fella who stuck with the Sixers.

Both those scenarios are assuming that A) We can afford Rogers and B) That they can come to an agreement with him.

I personally think that given the oppurtunity we should sign Rogers as he will bring a lot more to the team, however maybe we could give Reesy an apology type gift for example as Kriss said above maybe promote his business.

That's just my 2 bobs worth.

Reply #40037 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

we need to do all we can to sign rogers. Unfortunately for reesy the sixers can have feelings in this nad need to do wat is best for the club in terms of getting wins on the board. Rather than doing the nice thing.

Reply #40043 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Hunter is going to be full of monsters. Melmeth, Larry Davidson, Hinder, Cullen, and now Eversteyn. They are all over 207cm in height.

Reply #40044 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I think we should have chased someone like Cullen, or should when he is out of contract. I like his game. He has put up good numbers so he might be a bit expensive. He yells when he dunks. I like that.

Reply #40045 | Report this post

Izzard  
Years ago

Did anybody consider asking Rogers what he was doing before going down the Rees path? Would have been logical I would have thought unless of course, they really don't want Rogers! Perhaps some coaches have long memories...?

Reply #40082 | Report this post

FMJ  
Years ago

that seems to be what people are suggesting.... i still think PR is worth the risk!!

Reply #40086 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

The Sixers are a business and they need to do what's best for the team and club, which is getting Rogers if we can. What we need to look at is how long can we hold off Rees and has he got any intentions or offers to play elsewhere??? If not we can hold out as long as possible and try and seal Rogers.
"It's business...nothing personal"

Reply #40088 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

I agree completely with Panther.

In fairness to the 36ers and their coaching staff they have showed clearly in the past that they understand it is a business and not personal when making decisions.

They cut Davis to make way for Holmes/Forman, they have cut players such as Maley, Sapwell and Rees in the past showing that Smyth/Breheney aren't afraid to make the tough decision if they believe it to be in the club's best interest.

I don't know what the deal is with Rogers but I do know that it is very likely that Rees will sign and be a 36er next season.

The only hope we have of getting Rogers is alongside of Rees.

If this happens the roster would be:

C Rogers/Rees
PF Rychart/Cooper
SF Holmes/Forman
SG Farley/Nash
PG Maher/Hill

That is a great team but good luck splitting minutes.

I know Nash really isn't a shooting guard but I'd take that bench 5 as being competitive with some of the other teams' starting 5s.

Reply #40095 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

As much as I love Reesy, not trying to sign PR would be the easiest way to lose potential season ticket sales this club has ever thought of. If the club annouces a deal with Reesy now it's virtually admitting they have no ambitions of winning this season.

Getting Reesy invovled in Basa with his Hoop2Hoop business and get Rogers in, now!

Reply #40098 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

But at the moment it's not really public knowledge that Rogers is an option. It's on here, but that's about it. I don't want to understimate the popularity of this forum but if The Advertiser published a story on it it will put a whole lot more public pressure on the Sixers. Where's Boti when we need him?

Reply #40106 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #40113 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Surely if Rees hasn't been signed & ratified by the league then they haven't gone too far and must try & sign Rogers.

Reply #40117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was on the Channel 10 news a couple of days ago. It was clearly mentioned that we are talking to Paul Rogers.

Reply #40118 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nutwork -- there's a little stage in between "not signed" and "ratified by the NBL". I don't know if they could revoke that.

Reply #40129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets not play the nice guy on this situation, forget loyalty to an unsigned player, LOVE what Reesy has done, but Rodgers at half strength will change and keep would be penertators outside the paint. If Paul is available go with him. This is BUSINESS not social basketball at Pasadena! Differnt scenario if Rees had a;lready signed but luckily he hasnt!

Reply #40161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i agree completely but rees has already signed!

Reply #40169 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I think the reason why Rogers is a late option over Rees is because the club was unaware of the fact that he's interested in coming back on little income. If the club had been aware earlier that he was available, they may not have approached him purely to not insult him with the sort of money that they could spare. From listening to Rogers on Talking Hoops, it sounds as though money is not an option. He is now available with no where else to go and welcomes the opportunity to stay at home for a while. My choice would be to go with Rogers. Apart from the addition of Nash this season, Rogers will be the only change to the roster. It could be the change that takes us over the line this season.

Reply #40229 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pirates have signed an import, Odell Bradley.

6'4", 110kg. Bit of a nugget!

Reply #40311 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pirates have signed a second import, Mike Helms. 6' guard. Quality scorer from Uni of Oakland, averaged 26.9 and 23.2 PPG in his last two seasons.

So, where's Brian Wethers headed?

He was interested in Adelaide, so that means he wanted to play in the NBL, but who still has the spot available for him?

Reply #40819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #187851 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:12 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754