Anonymous
Years ago

Patty Mills' performance in Game 5

Go Patty ... Look out Worlds….

Topic #34676 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty haters silenced forever...

You are witnessing the Greatest Australian Of All Time.

Great to see him finally get his ring

Reply #478904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only 6 foot 1, could have played in the AFL, but decided to go where the opportunity and money is!!!

Reply #478905 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

6 foot 1 lol!!!!!

Patty Beast
to play well in this is like a norm smith medal
Great stuff

Reply #478907 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Is that the best finals performance by an Aussie in nba? Not sure of longleys impact in title wins. Hugely impressive either way.

Reply #478909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Longley scored 19 points in an NBA Finals game, Game 3 against Seattle in 1996.

Reply #478911 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Awesome performance from Patty!!! Great win by the Spurs, well deserved!!

Baynes with 2 points,

Reply #478912 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Patty/Baynes win NBA final, Ingles wins Euroleague final... Looks like the top Aussies are in good winning form ahead of the worlds and the confidence will do wonders for this team... I am picking Boomers to surprise the powerhouses this year, especially if Bogut can get off his ass.

Reply #478913 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kr

Is that the best finals performance by an Aussie in nba? Not sure of longleys impact in title wins. Hugely impressive either way.
From what I can tell, Longley's career high games in scoring were 21, 18 and 17. The first two were in March, so presumably the regular season. The 17 point game was in May but during the delayed 1999 season and during the regular season also. Edit: Looks like the site I'd found is incorrect.

Here's the boxscore from the game anon mentions where Longley had 19. He was up against Kemp and Schrempf.

Reply #478914 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Patty Mills becomes a Free Agent this summer, expect him to sign a pretty decent contract after his performance in regular season and particularly these finals.

Reply #478915 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

That is interesting Lance, if he doesn't get his worth in a decent offer from the Spurs his management will be filled with other NBA offers I would imagine.

Really up to the Spurs now, they know what they have and they shouldn't let him go...

Reply #478917 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Yea looking at what some other guys with a similar(ish) stat line get he should be able to get around 3-6 million mark, i guess it will depend on how many offers he gets to drive his price up and whether he is keen to keep winning at the Spurs or get a pay rise elsewhere.

Potentially a great pay rise for patty who is currently on around 1.1 mil.

Reply #478919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If another lesser team offered him say 5 years $20 million I couldn't see the Spurs matching that and if I were him and the offers from others teams were way above the Spurs I'd leave.

He's got a championship ring now so needs to set himself up for life plus the Spurs have no problem going back to guys (Danny Green, Stephen Jackson) so could always angle for a trade back to the Spurs down the line.

Reply #478920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*Just remembered another team could only offer him four years so say 4 years $16 million.

Reply #478921 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I hope that the Spurs offer him the cash he deserves and that he takes that and stays there. I'd be pretty confident in both happening. 3-5 mill for Patty over 3 years to lock him up as a Spur for the forseeable future.

Reply #478923 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

I could actually see Miami offering Mills a spot. I think for Mills to leave the offer would need to be a starting role, forget the $$

Reply #478924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like a lot of the Spurs, there's no guarantee he'd be similarly valuable in another system. He fits great in SA because he can effectively play as a 2-guard alongside Manu, or at least surrounded by high-IQ passing teammates. There aren't a lot of teams where he's going to be allowed to do that, and as well as he's played this year I'm not convinced he's an NBA PG. I can understand going elsewhere for more money, but if he jumps ship for one of the league's more poorly run franchises, it could be a massive mistake.

Reply #478925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree, Flinders - Miami is actually one of the places he'd fit really well. Lebron can be the facilitator he needs to play next to.

Reply #478926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he'd be mad to go anywhere else if they make him a reasonable offer. I don't think it's a coincidence that he succeeded in SA. He could easily have been a Shane Heal - stuck on the end of the bench and done in a year or two. But the Spurs got the best out of him, as they always seem to. I don't think he's starter material, but a scoring role off the bench is obviously perfect for him.

Go Patty. Big fan.

Reply #478929 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

if he jumps ship for one of the league's more poorly run franchises, it could be a massive mistake.
If they gave him $15m over a bunch of years, I think he'd live. Looks like he's learnt a lot in this last year and could stay valuable in another system. Worst case, limit your legacy but head home with enough money.

If he was offered $16m/4, he could say to the Spurs $12m/4 and I'll stay but otherwise I'm really keen to challenge myself more. But I'd prefer to stay and I'm willing to take that reduced amount to do it.

Bonner is on $3.9m this year, Green $3.7m, Belinelli $2.7m. I would've thought that $3-4m was not unreasonable given his improvement. If he can better his D and iron out that flopping, he's pretty handy.

Great time for him to be negotiating though after that year and especially that game.

Reply #478930 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Yep couldnt have timed it better to have a break season/finals.

I agree with Isaac, and would do the same.

Its a bit like the Melo scenario to it comes down to if he wants success or $$$.

If Patty wants to keep winning he should stay at the Spurs and see if he can slowly increase his role as guys like Ginobli and Parker move closer to retirement.

If he wants $$ he will simply take the best offer and see how he goes in a different club, may not be the worse for him as he could potentially get more minutes aswell.

Worse case scenario is he will likely make somewhere around $3 mil+ next season to play basketball no matter who he plays for, what role he has, if he wins or not. Not really a bad situation to be in he cant really lose.

Reply #478936 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Not only did he play great, the American commentators openly talked about Indigenous land rights to an audience of hundreds of millions. I bet 90% of Australians didn't even know Mabo day existed.

Reply #478952 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Props to Mills for really stepping up in this series.

Reply #478958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great work $tack$. Couldn't of happened to a better human.

Reply #479022 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

That 3rd quarter was other worldly.

Reply #479028 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Should see his paycheck triple at the very least. Well deserved. Has another good 10 years in him

Reply #479032 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

Congratulation Patty.
To average 10 points a game at 56% from 3 in the NBA finals series is a awesome performance. To average more than both the Heat point guards & future hall of fame guard Ray Allen is crazy & not something that I thought was possible 12 months ago.

If Gary Neal can get $3.25 mil a year, Patty should be able to get at least $4 mil.

Reply #479048 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:28 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754