Bear
Years ago

NBL 2014-15 Season Like Speed Dating!

The 2014-15 NBL season will be the sports equivalent of speed dating.

Each side will play 28 games in a little over four months.

Last season, the champions, the Perth Wildcats, started their season on October 11 and played their last home and away fixture on March 23.

This coming season, the Cats' start date is just one day earlier (October 10) but the season will be played over just 20 weeks. Perth's last game is on February 22.

Advertisement
The finals will start on Thursday, February 26, with the grand final scheduled for Friday, March 13.

The condensing of the season has been done in a bid to make Australia a more attractive option for import players.

"This is a great opportunity for the National Basketball League to take the sporting spotlight in Australia by avoiding clashes with other major codes," said Wildcats managing director Nick Marvin.

“Feedback from our trips to the USA suggests that playing more games per week makes the competition a more attractive option to elite talent from America and overseas.”

The Cats will start their season with three home games, including the first-up clash with New Zealand where the Perth side will unfurl their 2013-14 championship banner. That game will be played on the first of eight Friday night games in Perth.

The season will again comprise of 112 home and away fixtures and include mid-week games in some markets.

“The players have made it clear they want to be playing games more regularly. The fans want to see more basketball. This helps cater to the feedback we have received,” NBL chief executive Fraser Neill said.

The 2014/15 draw introduces a Boxing Day game in Sydney. Due to its success last season, New Year's Eve games have again been scheduled in Cairns, Townsville and Wollongong.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/fixtures-nbl-season-like-speed-dating-for-perth-wildcats-20140613-zs6jr.html#ixzz34rmb95U9

Topic #34688 | Report this topic

Bear  
Years ago

Long article I know, sorry, but thought it was interesting. I like the idea, but then can we have a 5 game final series instead of 3, that would be awesome...

Reply #479152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's an awesome idea.. I think midweek crowd numbers might b low for struggling teams but then again it could be good to have something for people to do during the week for teams such as Townsville and Wollongong. Love the idea about shorter seasons. Season ends roughly same time as the trading period ends in the nba so could be used for nba teams to develop second round picks in Australia like ennis. All positives for mine.

Great to see the nbl finally listening to fans! Now sign a tv deal which shows all nbl games on free to air TV and ditch nbl tv. I hope ABC or channel 7 (rumoured sports Chanel) come to the party preferably. channel 10 or one has done nothing to promote the game for me.

Reply #479164 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Now sign a tv deal which shows all nbl games on free to air TV and ditch nbl tv"
You realise an FTA channel has to actually want to do that, right?

I can't see it ever happening, given how many games they want to be playing next season.

Reply #479169 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Much better off with a compressed season until the league expands.

Reply #479170 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's effectively gone from 4.9 games a week to 5.6, with the week off before Christmas deleted. So not a big difference, I think it's three extra midweek games in Australia and a few more double ups on weekends.

Reply #479216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What Bear said !!

Reply #479296 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:59 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754