Isaac
Years ago

Rotnei Clarke signs in Belgium

Clarke has signed a deal to play in Belgium for the 2014-15 season with Okapi Aalstar of the BLB (Basketball League Belgium) and as a result will now be put onto the "one and done" list.

Last season Clarke won the league MVP and was one of the most exciting players of the league despite playing under the rim. Clarke had said he wished to return to Wollongong with his now wife but was weighing up offers from overseas before making a decision.
Full story at AndTheFoul

Topic #34713 | Report this topic

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Well that's disappointing, he was a great player to watch.

Reply #479558 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Belgium is attracting alot of good players these days. Another guy i know that an NBL club was looking at signed there.Must be good coin.

Reply #479573 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think it's a case that imports are the be-all and end-all for most clubs there so they get the lion's share, they don't spend so much on locals like here where a decent chunk of locals are import standard.

Reply #479579 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

What do you think there paying there Paul for imports?

Reply #479585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ennis, Clarke and possibly Goulding not great for the NBL potentially losing the Top 3 players in the league.

Reply #479624 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Last season the league lost Jackson, Lisch and Flynn but seemed to cope alright!

HD - I am just guessing re salaries in the Belgian league, but the team he is playing for generally has 5-6 imports, and I'd go with a range of 50K-200K EURO.

Reply #479628 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

i looked at there team and they had all imports as there starting 5, so much for there local content.You'd think he'd be $150k(Aus)plus which is(100,000 euros).

Reply #479635 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah I reckon Rotnei would up the higher end of that spectrum.

Reply #479639 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

$200,000 euros is $300k.Nice coin.

Reply #479642 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm not sure he'd be on that much, bigger imports tend to earn more, but whatever the amount is I don't think he'll be singing for his supper!

Reply #479662 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Was kinda hoping he might be scooped up by Sixers!!

Reply #479685 | Report this post

re  
Years ago

Reply #479718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The club has lost its league MVP Rotnei Clarke though, to a more lucrative opportunity in Belgium.

It is a bit of deja vu for the Hawks after their 2011 league MVP Gary Ervin also then chose to play in Europe.

"We made Rotnei a very, very good offer," McLeod said.

“It was the best offer we've made (to anyone) in my time at the club.

“But obviously when Europe comes calling, it’s very tough to resist.

“We totally understand that. Rotnei was good for our club and we were good for Rotnei.

“Our philosophy has been to look for players at the start of their journey - people who are really hungry and have the skill package.

“So it’s exciting that someone new is coming to town.”

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/ground-bound-hawks-can-finally-soar/

Reply #479768 | Report this post

2FAST4U  
Years ago

There's plenty of point guards around.

Reply #480065 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:33 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754