Isaac
Years ago

Gleeson replaces McLeod as Boomers assistant

Sounds like Gordie wants to focus on the Hawks:

Basketball Australia is pleased to announce the addition of Trevor Gleeson to the Australian Boomers coaching staff as an Assistant Coach to Andrej Lemanis ahead of 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup in Spain.

Gleeson, fresh from leading the Perth Wildcats to the 2013/14 NBL Championship in his first season at the helm, joins Lemanis, fellow Assistant Coach Luc Longley, Technical Assistant Coach Mick Downer and Mentor Coach Dr Adrian Hurley in the national team program.

A member of the coaching fraternity for more than 20 years, Gleeson brings a wealth of experience to the Boomers program, having coached in the USA, South Korea and the NBL.

With the FIBA Basketball World Cup tipping off in late-August, Gleeson said he cannot wait to work with Andrej and the players ahead of such a major event.

"I'm very thankful to Andrej for showing the faith and confidence to ask me to join the coaching staff," Gleeson said.

“Hopefully I can add something to the coaching staff and we can do well at the FIBA Basketball World Cup.

“With the young talent coming through the program now it’s an exciting time to be a part of the Boomers and we need to make sure we get the most of the group in Spain.

“I can’t wait to get in there and help Andrej, and do all we can to get the players to perform on the world stage.”

Lemanis said the addition of Gleeson, replacing the departing Gordie McLeod, ensures the program will retain a high-calibre coaching staff.

“I would firstly like to take the opportunity to thank Gordie McCleod for his effort and contribution to the national team,” Lemanis said.

“I know he leaves the program with a heavy heart, but I completely respect and understand the time commitments often involved in being both a part of the national team and the Head Coach of an NBL team.

“I am pleased that Trevor has been able to take up the position and thank the Perth Wildcats for their support of both Trevor and the Boomers.

“I always enjoyed competing against Trevor during my time in the NBL. I really respected the way Trevor coached his team to the NBL Championship this year - his demeanour on the sidelines, the respect he had from his players and the style in which they played suggested a real maturity in his coaching.

“I was always keen to have an NBL coach on staff and after meeting with Trevor to discuss the role, it became clear that he was a great fit for our current staff and that he would have a lot to offer us as a group.

“I look forward to Trevor joining the team and building together for our World Cup campaign.”

After serving as an Assistant Coach for the Brisbane Bullets, Gleeson joined the Continental Basketball Association (now the NBA D-League) in 2000 and was Head Coach of the Sioux Falls Skyforce for the 2003/04 season.

Korea came calling in 2004, spending two seasons as an Assistant Coach at two clubs before getting his NBL break in 2006 as Head Coach of the Townsville Crocodiles.

Five seasons in North Queensland brought significant success, guiding the team to five consecutive post-season appearances, leading to the 2011 NBL Coach of the Year award.

Gleeson would leave Townsville to take over at the Melbourne Tigers, staying one season (2011/12) before joining the Wildcats ahead of the 2013/14 season.

The 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup will be held in Spain from 30 August to 15 September.

For all the latest on the Boomers ahead of their journey to Spain be sure to visit the BA website at www.basketball.net.au.

Topic #34738 | Report this topic

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

I know he's just won the championship with Perth, (though that team was always very likely to win a championship, that's not a knock on Trevor, just a compliment to the Wildcats recruiting), but what would you consider Gleeson's strengths as a coach? Do his teams have a signature? etc

Reply #480022 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:42 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754