Jack Toft
Years ago

R13 ABL Action

Norwood-Mavs
Women: Ah, MARS the home of the Lady Flames where visiting teams are regularly sacrificed and burnt to the basketball gods. A special "wheel of death" has been installed by Norwood Hierachy so visiting teams can spin and have a choice of torture.
Men: Coops' boys are going for 8 in the row and look stronger than the All Blacks against the Japanese National rugby team. Hard to see the Mavs getting out of this one. It’ll be a long trip back up the freeway, so at least pop into Maccas on the way home.

Tigers-Rockets
Women: Tigers need this one and then rely on results in they want to keep in touch, but the Rockets have more to play for. Sharp claws are needed by the Tigeresses, but they might be regretting some earlier decisions and missed opportunities, like me buying Spandau Ballet concert tickets.
Men: If this was a nightclub, the Tigers have been playing the role of wingman well. They have been around the mark, but Rockets are having a season to forget. Away from their home disco, the Rockets likely to go home empty handed.

Sturt-South
Women: MOTR. Can someone please check the Sturt girls cast a reflection in the mirror? Sturt coming good at the right end of the season and last time South had a season like this Rolf Harris was in the charts with Jake the Peg. Massive game and Novosel unlikely to get much of a rest tonight. South will play out of their skins, but Sturt too good at home.
Men: South purred last time they met and Sturt might be in for an unpleasant surprise if they are not switched on from tip off. It’s unusual for Sturt to lose at home, but if there is an upset this round, South might dack the Sabres on their home court. First quarter the most important on tonight.

West-Forestville
Women: West need a win to keep in touch with the 5, but with the Eagles throwing out the spinnaker for the home run, the Bearcats will be looking for some second tier players to take the wind out there sails. Forestville are seasoned party animals when it comes to finals and will win this dance off.
Men: MOTR. West have quietly gone about their business this season and Forestville would be looking to replace Centrals in the 5. Hopefully we will see plenty of Gibbo and with DJ rumoured to be released from PR, would Forestville mind if he was put on the scoresheet? While Forestville have the stars, West seem to be a star team and Truslove is the key to this game IMO. West in what should be a decided in the last quarter. You can get slower, but you can’t get taller.

Centrals-Woodville
Women: Centrals shooting was better last week and they need to keep it up to have any hope of snatching a morale boosting win over the Warriors. Carmen Reynolds the standout Warrior and KB needs a cunning plan to keep her under control. Does she know the difference between Gawler and Goolwa?
Men: Although it’s 3 v 4, both teams have their problems. The Miller-less Lions are a bit like Iraq after the US Forces pulled out. Miller providing them with dunks and rebounds all in a row. Last time they played, Woodville was coached by Al and Daniel Sims’s gold necklace still shone. Woodville seems to be Centrals bogey side and might just over run them like ISIS fighters. (I thought Malory Archer was the head of ISIS?)

Topic #34774 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kyle miller got back during the week

you can stop calling them undermanned now

Reply #480555 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Thanks for the intel! Looks like it'll be "Miller Time" in Gawler tonight.

Reply #480556 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

Good work Jack!

Time has not been my friend this week.

Thanks for the info anon... Always hard to know the ins and outs, and for the Lions it is a big difference with and without Miller.

My picks:

Women's:

Norwood by 50+
North by 27
South by 2
Forestville by 9
Woodville by 26

Men's:

Norwood by 33
Southern by 12
Sturt by 14
Forestville by 11
Centrals by 7

Reply #480573 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

my girlfriend got 14 and 16 first game for a while, should do better.

Reply #480584 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

Women's Results:

Norwood 111 d Eastern 74

Woodville 78 d Centrals 75
(1 Point game with 16 seconds to play)

North 121 d Southern 63
(Southern had 46 turnovers)

Forestville d West 67-65
(Borrego had 29 and 21)

Sturt 71 d South 69
(Spencer couldn't hit the equalizer)

Reply #480610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Central women the better team and unlucky to lose

Reply #480616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville lost according to the webcast

Reply #480620 | Report this post

NotJackToft  
Years ago

My mistake with the West v Eagles game

West 70 d Eagles 65

Reply #480622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very good game South v Sturt. Could have went either way.

Reply #480631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

616...what a rubbish comment! If they were the better team they would have won.

Ridiculous!

Reply #480639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville would have had to have sacked another coach had they lost that one

Reply #480648 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Sack yourself fool

Reply #480662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meanwhile, back at the ranch. Popped down to Pasadena last night to watch the Panthers Sabres game and BSA ran a little half time kids race thing. Throwing balls to knock down boxes. Crawl through tubes, shoot little hoops and race a cardboard car. It was great to see some half time entertainment and kids having fun. Would like to see both clubs kids picked and some girls next time but overall it was fun and great to see BSA getting amongst it at clubs. Hope our club has this at the next game. Our kids would love it.

Reply #480678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals have been on the end of major beltings most of the year and KB out coached a one trick pony opposition to get the girls a shot away .

Reply #480680 | Report this post

Who Me?  
Years ago

I see from the Box Scores that Jo Hill was 1 Block away from a very rare 5 x 5!!!!

24 points, 12 rebounds, 5 assists, 8 steals & 4 blocks.

Amazing stats for any player, I'm torn over whether I should be concerned for our competition that a 40+ player can still do this at State League Level.

(I'm guessing that having watched Jo do stuff like this for the last 15 or so years I'm not surprised by her anymore)

Reply #480686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It helps that they were playing such a sub standard team so hold your horses everyone before we go too far. Needs to be put in perspective. Yes Jo is amazing but !!!! Those stats would be amazing against any other team but that one...

Reply #480688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The comp is below par and the coaches well below par and hang their hats on imports to win games. There are precious few women's coaches who can develop, use benches or create players which leaves the comp the boring one it is.

Reply #480701 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Really negative and no substance

Reply #480712 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

If it's so boring why are you so interested to observe & comment? Find something more productive. In the W Norwood have been shown not invincible & any of the next 5 can beat each other on a good night. In the M there seems to be a different premiership favourite every week & while the top 3 seem solidly placed the next 3 seem big threats to all. Pretty interesting comps, I'd say.

Reply #480716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Razor I don't like the status quo is why. The top six are always the same just in different order. Imports dictate how well the bottom four go every year and that simply means woodville or southern rise for a season and slump back as imports come and go. Where is the development of juniors to these ranks? My question is how does a bottom four club benefit from an ok season on the back of imports long term? From my perspective pouring money into imports when your junior development is chaotic and your numbers are non existent is a recipe for disaster.

Reply #480721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which clubs have imports in Men and Women's teams?

Reply #480725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are paying imports on a work holiday visa, you are either nuts or have the wrong import,

no need to pay imports anymore

they are lining up to come and work here and play for free

Reply #480734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville,south, sturt, southern before the meltdown etc etc

Reply #480751 | Report this post

Smokin Jo  
Years ago

If anyone thinks the women's cabl is of any decent calibre, they're kidding themselves! If any coach in the women's comp is going to puff their chest over results obtained in the women's comp, they too are kidding themselves! When a Netballer can come out mid season and perform as she did, it says a lot about the comp!

Results and ladder positions are purely based on the number of good players in the team. Most recruited and not developed by the coach.

People need to get real about the state of bball...it's very ordinary! Go back to a Wednesday night and for goodness sake stop introducing players and playing the national anthem before games..it's downright embarrassing!

Reply #480756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smokin Jo

Don't go to games then!!

Reply #480761 | Report this post

Smokin Jo  
Years ago

Trust me...I don't anymore!

Was causing too many trips to the optometrist for irritated eyes!

Reply #480763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top 6 always the same? Pretty sure South 2 years ago were pretty much dead last? and Centrals made finals?

Reply #480817 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

Said netballer did play NCAA for Miami = not a bum

Reply #480821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does Forestville need her? They have had for years a dominant junior girls program. Why is this not flowing through into ABA like some other teams?

Reply #480823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

because the coach has favourites and is as bad as her husband

Reply #480826 | Report this post

Import  
Years ago

Probably the same reason Sturt men need an import despite being the dominant boys junior program..Brett must be as bad as well..

As bad as what i'm not sure though..

Sturt women also with an import despite a strong girls program..

Wow its not just the Eagles is it..

Reply #480835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last season Sturt women had no imports but many home grown players that had a good season, some now retired. This year an import. As everyone mentions need imports to be competitive against the teams punching above what is ordinary affordable - aka Norwood and pseudo import Borego... It is now necessary ... Men lost multituse of players to SEABl or OS college which is a proud result for a club to develop and send their players on to the next level if that is that they desire. Injuries waiting to return home grown as well. Just a changing of the guard and full of youth players. Some from womens also gone or going to college. I would say the junior program is doing what it should, progressing beyond the club. The opportunity to learn and play with high calibre players which by the way we all get to enjoy via the signing to Lightning is good for SA. At least linking in to basketball and not the other sport !!!!!

Reply #480838 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Borrego, will play as an aussie next tbirds season, and then would like to see her finish up playen basketball

Reply #480851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it funny that whenever Fore$tville get called out for being shady (whether accurate or not), they immediately try to justify it with a Sturt comparison. Talk about "Little Brother" syndrome...

Reply #480859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it's a free world..

if Forestville feel it necessary to up the ante with an import why not?

if you're little darling can't get on the roster move her to Centrals

Reply #480884 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Southern Tigers made finals 2 seasons back & lost players to college while Mavs made finals last year. They perhaps helped develop home grown WNBL players Madgen, Talbot & Wilson. So perhaps Jo's observation skills are as poor as he claims ABL to be.

Reply #480887 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"if you're (sic) little darling can't get on the roster move her to Centrals"

Good point. The best comeback is to succeed elsewhere. What's that saying I keep seeing? "If you're absent in my struggle, don't be around me in success"

It's not what happens to you in life, it's how you respond. If you are serious about playing and you get a knock back, don't stay down, get up and have a go. If your response is to quit, that reflects on your lack of determination and general lack of life skills. If you are serious about achieving, you will go anywhere to succeed and use a knock back as motivation to succeed.

It's a lot like life, it gives you lemons, dumb people whinge they're not oranges, smart people make juice, ferment it, then have a party!

Reply #480907 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

I do like the idea of trying to ferment something, Jack!
(Prob end up poisoning myself tho'...)

Reply #480908 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Only if you try the Bali jungle juice!

Reply #480910 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

As an aside, a mate of mine applied for and got a job as Production Manager for a company that used to make alcoholic lemonade. There was a passing comment at the end of the interview about "bring a sharp knife on Monday when you start". Not really knowing if it was a joke, he packed one just in case, and sure enough, the first job Monday morning was helping to cut up all the lemons!

Reply #480912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Razor,

Talbot played 4 seasons at Forestville and 3 at Norwood. You can hardly claim recruiting her for 2 seasons a case of Mavs developing her. Same for Wilson who played 4 seasons at Sturt and only 3 at Mavs.

Reply #480924 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

So the point you're now making is that many coaches are involved in development - kind of disproves what you said originally?

Reply #480929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saying that mutiple clubs developed them.

It was you who stayed Mavs developed them razor.

Reply #480943 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

I said "helped" develop but the main point was that there are more clubs than you suggested making finals.

Reply #480948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A couple of years ago Centrals made finals on the back of the nomad , her partner and an import. Souths will make finals with the nomad and an import. Mavis were hot with Tess and cold without her. Southern were competitive with import and ordinary without her. Woodville are treading water with their import and Sturt are now firing with their star where they were struggling previously. Imports not coaches dictate success and are short term fixes.for most clubs.
Strong clubs with lots of juniors should be able to field strong senior teams but often as said their development program has sent girls to college or wnbl etc. consequently better clubs augment their losses with imports. The weak clubs keep shooting themselves in the foot trying to have successful cabl teams at the expense of junior development. Several bottom teams are case in points especially woodville with almost no girls in the junior program at all and zip experienced junior coaches to develop what they do and ditto most of the lower ranked clubs. It's dumb to spend big bucks on a cabl coach and import if your junior program is dysfunctional and worse still if the coach you buy does develop his fringe cabl players . Centrals and woodville along with southern are the usual bottom teams and I can't see much changing until they realise why the top four clubs are top four.

Reply #480984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Soooo true. Why these clubs don't get it is beyond me???? Get your juniors right!

Southern have finally got a proper Coaching Director in place as he does not quit over the politics that seems to plague them out there will get on track over the coming years.

Clubs that employ dodgy Directors of Coaching will soon have to spend money on Seniors to compete then they can no longer afford to invest that money in the junior program and then often go years and years without a proper COaching Director. North Adelaide seems to have gone down this path as has Woodville.

Reply #480995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except North don't have any imports!!

Reply #480996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So pero and peach played for free last yr?

Jo hill plays for free??

Not saying the above players should not get paid. They should. But surely you get juniors in order first?

Who has been the proper coaching director at nth since kinsman?

Reply #481007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best thing that is going to happen at southern is the junior president is not going to stand at the next AGM, jumping before he is pushed, once he goes the president is a lame duck and will either quit if he isn't able to sell his dodgy merchandise or will be removed also, then Dean can get on with his job without the interference that these two will inevitably create in order to better their own kids careers or fill their bank account with cash through sales of uniforms/merchandise etc.

The club can then move forward and look at player development as it's number 1 priority rather than making dollars for one person who puts very little back into the club in the way of sponsorship dollars and time.

Then the club may return to the glory days and be a powerhouse again.

Reply #481027 | Report this post

Norf  
Years ago

North men also had an import last year with Pero & Peach..

Reply #481065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So when a Sturt/Forestville bring in an import its all good, when a Southern have an import (which costs the club ZERO) then its terrible and adding to the destruction of the world.

Well done guys ....

Reply #481067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do people understand a number of clubs do not have any juniors that are good enough to play ABL level so therefore in the interim they look outside the square, whether it is recruiting from another club or deciding to go the import direction. What are they to do?? I would be interested in your obviously expert opinion.

Reply #481078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First ask why you don't have juniors, then at your agm vote out the board and replace it with one that has a junior developmental policy, plan and strategy to attract kids to your club and don't appoint wet behind the ears committee members. Also ask why you have junior coaches who haven't developed your kids thru their junior years . If you don't understand why it's ok for top clubs to have imports then you are probably one of reasons your club is sinking.
In the bottom clubs people are appointed to positions they can't do and you get situations like woodville where it's all smoke and mirrors, no girls, no coaches and all the money has been spent on the top end, paying a coach they don't need financing an import they don't need and no one with the expertise to recruit girls or know the first thing about how you go about it.
Southern should be the premier club in the state with its facilities and player catchment but self interest and lack of vision has seen it implode every year and I think the last import cost the club more than money and reinforced the 'don't go there' in neon.
Internal strife is generally the reason small clubs remain small and you will never get big until you have a program that sees junior players flow thru to the CABL.

Reply #481094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds great ... no sense of reality.

Reply #481140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

one that has a junior developmental policy, plan and strategy to attract kids to your club and don't appoint wet behind the ears committee members. Also ask why you have junior coaches who haven't developed your kids thru their junior years

The above is not a reality????

ummm you've obviously never been in a successful club ;)

Reply #481157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's probably southerns president

Reply #481158 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:05 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754