phillip
Years ago

Boomers World champs squad

I see Dante is committed to world cup in september and Bogut is out (suprise suprise!) How do we see the roster shaping?

Id go:

Baynes Ogilvy Maric
Bairstow Motum
Jingles Newley
Mills Goulding Drmic
Delly Exum

Anyone im forgetting? I feel Andersen is a bit old now and best to blood young guns in lead up to olympics.

Topic #34776 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maric is out according to Luc Longley

Reply #480565 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Sick of this sheer crap of using major tournaments to "blood" young guns. Every tournament since 2000 has been about doing that. I don't like the idea, can we get 12 guys ready to compete right NOW FFS?

Draft or not I don't believe Exum is ready. Anderson however could surely be valuable for one more tournament, so I don't see why not add him. There are plenty of series before the Olympics to worry about "blooding" people.

Reply #480575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum gets drafted number 5 and old mate doesn't think he's ready? Wow!

Reply #480579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK lets not add him or Simmons and have them just stay in the NBA while we lament we cannot get access to our NBA stars for Olympics etc.... He is ready

Reply #480580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GWB you would be the type that didn't rate patty mills as well I'm guessing!?!

Reply #480581 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Anderson can sit down. Haven't been a fan of him in a Boomers jersey for a long time. Just doesn't seem to really do much other than take horrible shots.

Exum needs to be in the squad, that's a given. The cup is the next step towards the Olympics which is what we should be aiming for as we already know the World Cup isn't something we can win this time around.

Reply #480585 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Baynes Jawai
Andersen Bairstow (Motum or Wortho)
Ingles Simmons
Mills Goulding (Newley or Broekhoff)
Delly Exum

Reply #480586 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Ricey, Andersen can be very frustrating at times with his lack of Defence, poor rebounder for his size,etc but at the London Olympics his offence was very much needed and there were periods when he was the only one seemingly able to score

Reply #480587 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

How do you leave Jawai out? That's pathetic. If fit he definitely has to be there.. As a starter!!

Reply #480590 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Core locks:

Baynes
Ingles
Mills
Dellavedova

If Andersen and Jawai are healthy and in their usual form, add them. Goulding warrants selection as a pure shooter and scorer. Bairstow will work his way into the team. Exum needs to be selected, even if he is not ready for main rotation minutes, although this may impact other selections if not ready yet. Add another wing. Depending on form, I would let Newley and Broekhoff battle for that spot. While more experienced, Newley has been inconsistent with the Boomers in recent years. Add in a stretch 4, probably Worthington who gets in by default. Then the 12th position may as well go to a versatile young guy like Simmons.

Baynes Jawai
Andersen Bairstow Worthington
Ingles Newley/Broekhoff Simmons
Mills Goulding
Dellavedova Exum

I consider it more important to have more big man depth as Jawai and Andersen have come off injury. It is a toss up between reserving the 12th man for a backup big who can contribute immediately if injury strikes (such as Nevill) or someone who will have less impact but a brighter future with the Boomers (such as Simmons). The guard options are a bit of a gamble, might seem not so deep, but our wings are versatile enough to cover them. Could even go with Ingles starting at 2 and Mills off the bench to lead the 2nd unit. Exum takes the 3rd point guard spot away from Martin or Gibson. IMO Goulding can contribute despite his lack of experience at international level. I also consider Ingles and Newley/Broekhoff can swing across to take more guard minutes if injury strikes.

Reply #480595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My list:

Mills PG/SG 6'0
Dellavedova PG 6’4
Goulding SG 6’4
Exum PG/SG 6’6 (just edges Martin + Gibson)
Newley SG/SF 6’7 (edges Broekhoff + Drmic)
Ingles SG/SF 6’8
Simmons SF/PF 6’9 (just edges Worthington + Petrie)
Bairstow PF 6’10 (edges Johnson + Motum)
Baynes PF/C 6’10
Jawai C 6’10
Ogilvy C 6’11 (edges Neville + Maric)
Anderson PF/C 7’0

Starting line up and depth formation:
PG: Dellevedova/Mills/Exum
SG: Mills/Goulding/Newley/Exum
SF: Ingles/Newley/Simmons
PF: Bairstow/Anderson/Simmons/Baynes
C: Baynes/Ogilvy/Jawai/Anderson

Reply #480596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Womens side also:

Leilani Mitchell PG 5'5 (edges Mcully)
Kelly Wilson PG/SG 5’7 (edges Hurst)
Erin Phillips PG/SG 5’8
Katie Rae Ebzery SG 5’10 (edges Jarry + Madgen + Cole + Zavecz + Screen)
Rebecca Allen SG/SF 6’1 (edges Snell + Cumming + Foley + Newley)
Penny Taylor SG/SF 6’1
Alice Kunek SG/SF 6’2 (edges Talbot)
Laura Hodges SF/PF 6’2
Gabrielle Richards C 6’3 (edges Tolo + Bunton + Scherf)
Cayla Francis PF/C 6’4 (edges Burton + Mijovic)
Lauren Jackson PF/C 6’5
Elizabeth Cambage C 6’8

Starting line up and depth formation:
PG: Phillips/Mitchell/Wilson
SG: Allen/Ebzery/Phillips/Wilson/Kunek
SF: Taylor/Kunek/Allen/Hodges
PF: Jackson/ Hodges/Francis/Richards
C: Cambage/Richards/Francis/Jackson

Just missing out:
Cant be there: O’hea/ Bishop/Batkovic

Reply #480598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

O'Hea is a lock in front of Bec Allen. To much gloss on Allen after one half decent season in WNBL.

My Team

Mitchell/Phillips
Kelly Wilson/Snell/Madgen
Taylor/O'Hea
Jackson/Richards/Bishop
Cambage/Tolo

Emerg - Batkovic/Hurst/ Two Young kids

Kunek and Allen are very over rated. Kunek has improved gibe her that but Madgen is a better fit and stronger off the dribble.
Bec Allen has confidence and opportunity, her shooting % is ordinary and she is to light for international level play.

Kelly Wilson is a must as a combo and 3pt shooter, Snell can go one more time and Madgen is tough and can score. Mitchell should be the starting PG with Phillips as back up.

I like this team, however I think LJ is long in the tooth and for us to medal she needs to be 100%.
Not one team will deal with Cambage and if she can pass under pressure to Wilson/Mitchell/Snell and we make shots organise the Silver or Bronze now.

Reply #480600 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

By the way, those saying we shouldn't pick guys like Exum or Simmons because they are not ready, take a look at what happened after we last picked our best 12 players without consideration of the future, the 2000 team. Ok, that situation is quite different because that team was loaded with aging veterans. And the bizarre selections by Smyth were worrying. But there was little future planning in that 2000 team, even in the 11th/12th man spots.

Typically there is very little harm in devoting a spot or two to let some of our future stars like Exum, Simmons or even Maker get some experience. The importance of team chemistry in international play can't be underestimated. It takes years to build up. I also hope Lemanis settles on a team soon for chemistry reasons.

Reply #480601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The lineup will realistically be something like

Baynes/jawai/Nevill
Andersen/Bairstow/Motum
Ingles/Newley/Simmons
Mills/Goulding/Broekhoff
Dellavadova/Exum/Gibson

Or a variation of those. Though, i personally would rather have Exum, Simmons and Maker included over any NBL player.

Reply #480602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And it's been said a thousand times before but damn, i'm really excited about Rio 2016

A potential lineup of

Bogut/Baynes/Humphries
Maker/Bairstow/Jawai
Simmons/Ingles/Bolden
Mills/Goulding/Adel
Exum/Dellavadova

Not to mention guys like Mathiang, Motum, Matur Maker who could also be options.

Definitely has the potential for a medal.

Reply #480604 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Humphries won't make Rio

Reply #480605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries is 7 foot, 250 lbs.. By the time Rio comes around he'll be 18, he'd definitely be in the discussion for that team, even over Thon Maker who just doesn't have any size

Reply #480608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

people suggesting we shouldn't be looking at young players for the 11th or 12th man are kidding themselves because how often does the 12th man even see the court as we saw in London Peter Crawford hardly got off the bench.

Reply #480611 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Anonymous: Patty Mills is a proven contributor... Exum is not yet at this level.. was drafted on POTENTIAL. I still think our best shot is to take 12 ready made players..

RJD: 2000 indeed was the team that was made with no real concession for the future, and rightfully so.. it is arguably the best team (on paper) we have ever assembled. The fact that our 2001/2 teams sucked, for my mind has less to do with the Boomers lack of a 'continuity' culture then it does the fact that, well.. just on talent.. we hit a dry spot. Simple as that. Outside of Glen Saville/Matty Neilson who did we have in those years who were good enough?

I am not sure that blooding players in major tournaments is ever a good idea.. we have all sorts of qualifiers/sino-aus etc tourneys in which to do that in.

Dante Exum was drafted solely on potential.. he is by NO means a proven commodity. He has played very well against college kids on "one-off" little games at Nike Hoops and the U19 Worlds but for all his upside, he is a 19 year old kid that could go Boom or Bust. We should know by 2015/16, We don't know right now.. and for that matter.. I don't add him as a 'lock'.. but of course he would make the extended squad, get a look in and a chance to prove his worth at the position.

Can't go past the obvious guys for this team

Delly
Mills
Ingles
Anderson
Baynes
Newley
Goulding
Jawai
Bairstow

The final 4 spots, would go to stretch 4s, an outside shooter.. possibly a 3rd string point guard? but for mine.. if fit.. the core group is basically set in stone. What I think is needed is for people to see that every position on the team is valuable... everyone right down to 12th man should be able to come in and not lose a beat... We have a team that should slip into the top 8, and has a darkhorse shot in the right conditions to medal.. If Ingles gets injured do you really want to bring in a 18 year old to take his place?

Reply #480617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think is Australia picked their best available team for this tournament they won't medal especially as Bogut isn't playing. I think they will finish in the 4th-8th range. I think the best bet for Lemanis is to do what the soccerroos did at the World Cup and use this basketball world cup as the development to build the team for 2016. In 2016, Dante would have played 2 years in the NBA, Simmons would have played 1 year for LSU and going into the draft and Bogut would be in his prime (probably past it in 2018). This is similar to when Australia was building for the 2000 Australia Olympics to get the best team possible.

It also gives Lemanis a good pitch to Basketball Australia to make him head coach of Australia until 2016. Therefore, for this tournament I think players that won't be in contention for 2016 shouldn't be looked at. It means line ball guys like Anderson, Worthington, Barlow, Gibson, D Martin are probably going to miss and guys like Motum, Bairstow and Broekhoff should get looks as the upside of those players are vastly better. I agree with the comment above about Peter Crawford and in the past looking at Shawn Redhage, John Rille, James Harvey, Martin Catalini, etc who just sat on benches at tournaments.

My team would be
C - Aron Baynes / Nate Jawai
PF - Cameron Bairstow / Brock Motum / Ben Simmons
SF - Joe Ingles / Ryan Broekhoff
SG - Patty Mills / Brad Newly / Chris Goulding
PG - Matt Dellavedova / Dante Exum

Could potentially take another 5 man and drop either Goulding or Broekhoff but I think Motum, like he did in college, could pinch hit at a 5 spot if required.

Also, those worried about leadership, the team still has Newly, Patty Mills and Ingles and it would give those guys the responsibility to lead without having the other older guys (Anderson, Wortho, etc) and would make the group stronger.

Reply #480618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ohea, Bishop and Batkovic will not be at the world champs.

Reply #480619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exam top 5 pick was a joke, bet ya he doesn't do shit at nba level and will find himself in the d league b4 long

Reply #480653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Snell, can't pass, can't dribble but can shoot so still in the mix, wow.

Reply #480654 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I am a skeptic on Exum also in the sense that I don't think he is anywhere near NBA level yet. In 2 years? sure.. but right now.. no

Reply #480658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Humphries won't make Rio"

To be honest. I don't know a lot about the kid. All i know is that most people have him as a 5 star recruit like Maker and Simmons. He'll be 18 when Rio comes around and should be atleast worth a 11/12th man type role.

"Dante Exum was drafted solely on potential.. he is by NO means a proven commodity. He has played very well against college kids on "one-off" little games at Nike Hoops and the U19 Worlds but for all his upside, he is a 19 year old kid that could go Boom or Bust. We should know by 2015/16, We don't know right now.. and for that matter.. I don't add him as a 'lock'.. but of course he would make the extended squad, get a look in and a chance to prove his worth at the position."

His mix of speed and size is hard to come by. It's not every draft that the quickest player is 6'6. His first step is lightning. He'll be getting plenty of free throws in the NBA if nothing else.

He's a definite lock. There's no way that they don't pick a guy that just got picked 5th overall in the NBA draft. That's fucking ridiculous.

"It means line ball guys like Anderson, Worthington, Barlow, Gibson, D Martin are probably going to miss and guys like Motum, Bairstow and Broekhoff should get looks as the upside of those players are vastly better."

I agree. It might sound kind of mean but i don't want any of those players to ever play for the Boomers again. They simply don't cut it anymore. In fact, i don't want any NBL players in the Boomers except for maybe Goulding. I especially don't want NBL players in the team over guys like Simmons and Maker.

Reply #480659 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I think all the coach need be concerned about is "who we bring results in THIS tournament".

Reply #480665 | Report this post

Some_Fulla  
Years ago

Maker is nowhere near boomers level and most likely never will be! Remember majok? Yeah.. They are probably about the same age!!

Reply #480670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We will have to wait until the rio olympics and beyond to have a roster like this:

PG/SG Mills 6'0
PG Dellevedova 6'4
PG/SG Exum 6'6
SF McVeigh 6'8
SG/SF Ingles 6'8
SF/PF Bolden 6'9
SF/PF Simmons 6'9
PF Bairstow 6'10
PF/C Baynes 6'10
C Humphries 7'0
C Bogut 7'0
PF/C Maker 7'1

You could add a bunch more names...
like adel 6'7 etc

Reply #480671 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

As Kevin Sheedy would say GWB "you're not looking at the big picture"

Reply #480672 | Report this post

Our game  
Years ago

"Maker is nowhere near boomers level and most likely never will be! Remember majok? Yeah.. They are probably about the same age!!"

Only way thon never wears a boomers jersey is if he's wearing team USA.

Reply #480692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Maker is nowhere near boomers level and most likely never will be! Remember majok? Yeah.. They are probably about the same age!!"

Majok wasn't 7'1 and has no where near the skill set of Maker. Majok was incredibly raw and really only had athleticism to work with. I'll say it again. I'd take Maker over any NBL player in a heartbeat.

"We will have to wait until the rio olympics and beyond to have a roster like this:"

Is Mcveigh that good? I mean, would he get in over guys like Deng Adel and Matur Maker who seem to have legit NBA potential?

Reply #480695 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

amazingly the squad for 2016 that anonymous just named could potentially have 10 NBA players in it.

Reply #480699 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Exum is a SG. No way he is a PG.

I think that you take Exum, Goulding and Martin/Gibson (as much I think Gibson isn't up to standard).

Dellavedova/(Mills)/Gibson
Mills/Exum or Goulding either or
Ingles/Newley
Andersen/Bairstow/Worthington
Jawai/Baynes.

Reply #480709 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Goulding should definitely make the team.. he is one of the few guys who have a bit of cockiness and who can make his own shot.

Reply #480713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding is really the only NBL player i want on the team.

Reply #480723 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Has anyone actually watched a game that Deng, Maker or whoever else has played or just these YouTube mixtapes? Maker could make the team for 2016 if he's as legit as touted, but will his body be able to take bodies like Marc Gasol heading to the ring is the question

Reply #480736 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

When is the next camp?

Reply #480738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum top 5 a joke? The kid has skills. Have a look at some of the games he has played in the last couple of years. Have a look at his draft combine results.

Reply #480804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kyrie Irving to get snubbed by team USA in favour of Rose, Westbrook, Paul and Curry and realises he can lead a very talented Aussie team to silver medal.

Irving/Mills
Exum/Dellevadova
Simmons/Ingles/Drmic
Bairstow/Jawai
Bogut/Baynes/Maker

Reply #480848 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Would be interesting to see what Irving's tune would be if he doesn't make the USA team this year. I think not choosing to play for Aus was a mistake... I mean, sure.. he can win gold for the USA... but in a team where winning gold is a formality.. no longer treated as an achievement, even if they win Gold.. if they don't do it in a completely dominant fashion it would be seen as a flop. Where-as if he were to play for Australia he could broaden his fan base.. be the "star" of an international team rather then just another cog, take the team somewhere it has never been and add another dimension to his career where he is seen somehow as 'unique' in the league for being Aussie.

With Kyrie in the team we would solidify as medal favourites.. but I would think it is still very unlikely... we COULD medal without him, and I also think that if he were on the team he would try to make it a one-man-show and that would suck for all of the genuine talent we have.

Reply #480853 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Macdub's team is pretty spot on (but with Goulding and Exum) if everyone is fit and NBA-linked guys available, which remarkably is half the team. The only questions for me are Worthington or Petrie and Martin or Gibson.

Reply #480855 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"but in a team where winning gold is a formality.. no longer treated as an achievement, even if they win Gold"

I don't think you're right there. You should watch a replay of the last two USA v Spain finals.

Reply #480857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The addition of Irving wouldn't make a huge difference. We are pretty solid at the PG position with a combo of Mills, Delly and Exum. Not sold on Irving's game either. Great ball handler but not much of a team player and bit too much of an iso player. If he wants to play for USA then best of luck to him- we have plenty of players who would jump at the chance to play for the boomers.

Reply #480864 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Also why didn't drmic make the Sino series? Injury? because he is pretty highly touted

Reply #480868 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Outside Bogut this pretty much has to be our strongest squad as it is a world cup so not about development its about winning!!

Guys currently in college aren't good enough as yet so stick to the seasoned pro's or guys whom are getting drafted we want to win not forever develop!

You can bring along Simmons, Maker, Drmic, Greenwood as training bait but they don't get a squad spot...it as travelling training fodder only…unless they think there good enough to play!

Guards
Delly, Mills, Exum, Goulding

Wings
Newley, Ingles, Broekhoff, Barlow

Forwards
Bairstow, Motum, Anderson

Centre
Jawai or AJ Ogilvy, Baynes

Reply #480869 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

GWB from what i understand he injured his foot, and is currently recovering, otherwise I'd imagine he would've been in the squad for the Sino-Aus games. Would really like to see how his game is progressing

Reply #480885 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Where is Ryan Broekhoff playing right now and how is he faring there? I heard a lot of hype about him about a year ago, but since then... nothing. Also Anonymous.. I am not sold on Barlow for a position, I agree that the team shouldn't be about development.. but Barlow has brought next to nothing for the Boomers for a long time now... Its like his Boomers career took a turn for the worse the moment he lost the ball in that Australia/Greece game in 06

Reply #480888 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

For the most part I like your team Tiger Watcher.. but I have question marks over Broekhoff/Barlow and to some extent Exum... Everyone can say what they like about him being drafted he is still a few years off of being a solid contributor at this level

Reply #480889 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I dare say our 2014 should be much better then our 2012 team on paper.. I am not sure why people think it should be a development team when it is easily our most talented team since 2008?

Reply #480896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Outside Bogut this pretty much has to be our strongest squad as it is a world cup so not about development its about winning!!

Guys currently in college aren't good enough as yet so stick to the seasoned pro's or guys whom are getting drafted we want to win not forever develop!

You can bring along Simmons, Maker, Drmic, Greenwood as training bait but they don't get a squad spot...it as travelling training fodder only...unless they think there good enough to play!

Guards
Delly, Mills, Exum, Goulding

Wings
Newley, Ingles, Broekhoff, Barlow

Forwards
Bairstow, Motum, Anderson

Centre
Jawai or AJ Ogilvy, Baynes"

I'd take Simmons over Barlow in a heart beat. Also would rather have Maker than Ogilvy.

"I dare say our 2014 should be much better then our 2012 team on paper.. I am not sure why people think it should be a development team when it is easily our most talented team since 2008? "

Because our 2016 and 2018 teams are going to be far, far better and it's good to get the younger fellas who will be a massive part of those teams a bit of exposure to the big time early? And because those players are just plain better basketball players than guys who could make the team.

People who are saying Exum shouldn't make the team (laughs). Who would you rather have over him? We can assume that Mills, Delly and Goulding will be picked. Who else?

Reply #480921 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

We really don't know that these teams will be "far, far better"... these are assumptions and projections made on 'potential'.. well the sun has the 'potential' of exploding tomorrow. Greg Oden had the 'Potential' to be a superstar. Every child born has the 'potential' to be the next Einstein. When it comes to making national teams.. we shouldn't be picking on potential... potential is hit and miss..

Lets say 2 players with the exact same attributes and abilities are in a Boomers camp, and lets pretend I am running that camp.. I would take the guy who has proven himself against adults (even in the NBL) over the college kid who 'may' become a superstar or 'may' be working in a carwash in 2 years time. We have plenty of meaningless series between now and 2016, lets leave NZ/Aus and Sino series to 'blooding' players shall we? We should be looking for medals at every major tournament.

I am not 'against' Exum being on the team. Sure, he is a number 5 draft pick.. some would say his position is essentially locked.. I say, bring him into camp, no one should have there position assigned due to 'potential' and name alone. If he is truly in the top 12 players we have to offer RIGHT NOW.. gladly take a spot. If not, then he is going to have to wait out a year or 2 like anyone else in his position. I remember Ingles never made the Boomers team in his rookie year, it was only the year after that he did... it certainly didn't stop him.

Reply #480926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What I've seen of Exum and Simmons in Boomers uniforms (the NZ series last year) suggests they're both capable of making an impact at that level. Exum is obviously more ready, but watch the senior guys play with and against Simmons. There's plenty of pick-on-the-rookie, but also a little bit of awe at the things he does almost by accident. He's capable of things right now that no one else in that squad can actually do.

I don't think you have to take him, I don't think you take him just because he's likely to be really important in a few years. But it would surprise me if he's not capable of making the 12 on merit.

And GWB, I agree with a lot of what you're saying. But who's the guy in Boomers camp with exactly the same attributes and abilities as Simmons? Or Exum? We don't have a lot of 6'10" guys with Simmons' strength and athleticism, or 6'6" guys with Exum's length and quickness. I'm not going to pick them on physical ability alone, but a hypothetical situation in which I'm comparing them against other players of the same physical abilities is a bit unrealistic.

Reply #480930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In my opinion, Ogilvy is a better fit For the boomers over jawai. ALthough he doesn't have the frame jawai has, he is a better scorer, shot blocker, rebounder, more mobile and a better passer, not to mention a bigger gas tank. Ogilvy should be the primary centre with jawai and baynes sharing the limited minutes. Baynes with limited PF minutes along with Bairstow and ANderson.

What do people think of other offensive PF's like kickert and Johnson?

Reply #480934 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

If fit, Jawai belongs on the team because he is the ONLY guy we have that can physically overpower opposition centers. Even if it is 10 minutes a game, I think the guy is valuable.. He also had great shooting touch for a big man and nice hook shot

Reply #480935 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Also keep Kickerts name out of any Boomers talk.. we are trying to have a serious discussion here!

Reply #480936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"We really don't know that these teams will be "far, far better"... these are assumptions and projections made on 'potential'.. well the sun has the 'potential' of exploding tomorrow. Greg Oden had the 'Potential' to be a superstar. Every child born has the 'potential' to be the next Einstein. When it comes to making national teams.. we shouldn't be picking on potential... potential is hit and miss..

Lets say 2 players with the exact same attributes and abilities are in a Boomers camp, and lets pretend I am running that camp.. I would take the guy who has proven himself against adults (even in the NBL) over the college kid who 'may' become a superstar or 'may' be working in a carwash in 2 years time. We have plenty of meaningless series between now and 2016, lets leave NZ/Aus and Sino series to 'blooding' players shall we? We should be looking for medals at every major tournament.

I am not 'against' Exum being on the team. Sure, he is a number 5 draft pick.. some would say his position is essentially locked.. I say, bring him into camp, no one should have there position assigned due to 'potential' and name alone. If he is truly in the top 12 players we have to offer RIGHT NOW.. gladly take a spot. If not, then he is going to have to wait out a year or 2 like anyone else in his position. I remember Ingles never made the Boomers team in his rookie year, it was only the year after that he did... it certainly didn't stop him. "

What other 6'6 players do we have that are lightning quick, can get to the rim with ease and are great passers with good court vision?

What 6'10 pf's do we have that are big, smooth, good shooters and scorers, can jump out of the gym, rebound and pass like a guard.?

What 7'1 Pf's do we have that can shoot it like a guard, move incredibly quick for their size, constantly get to the rim and finish and block tons of shots?

You could make a case for Simmons and Maker not playing as they are only 16/17 and still only really have really played high school ball with a few American 'camps' and in Simmons case, some international play but Exum should be a no brainer. He dominated the under 19's and the Hoops Summit. And if you wanna bring up the 'He played against teenagers argument', guys like Randle and Parker would average 20ppg in the NBL with ease. Exum should be a part of the team because from what i've seen he is plain better than most of the guards we have. And i'm not talking he 'will be better', i'm saying he is better now.

"If fit, Jawai belongs on the team because he is the ONLY guy we have that can physically overpower opposition centers. Even if it is 10 minutes a game, I think the guy is valuable.. He also had great shooting touch for a big man and nice hook shot"

Definitely. We really lacked rebounding and an inside presence in London and it killed us. I kept thinking while watching 'we really need Jawai'. If he's fit he has to be picked.

Reply #481036 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I don't think Ogilvy is even on the Boomers radar at the moment, even with Bogut and Maric out.

Reply #481040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the candidates for the 1 and 2 spots?
Mills/Dellavedova/Exum/Goulding/Gibson/D.Martin
Anyone I've missed?
Aussuming 5 of these guys will make it (as can carry one).
Mills/Delly and Exum will be a lock so who will miss out from the other 3?
I think Goulding may just get his shot this time over Gibson and Martin. He makes 4 players and if they do go with 5 maybe Gibbo again. He is not fit though and racing against time.

Reply #481072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say

Dellavedova, Mills, Exum and Goulding.

Reply #481085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, with Mills being injured and missing out -

C - Baynes, Jawai
Pf - Bairstow, Anderson, Motum
Sf - Ingles, Newley, Broekhoff
Sg - Exum, Goulding
Pg - Delly, Gibson

I really hope they don't start Newley at Sg.

Reply #481230 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Mills is easily the centerpiece of the team, not sure what we can do without him. :/ Getting to the second round now would probably be an achievement.

Reply #481235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Simmons should be in the mix.

Reply #481236 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Well now.. bugger it... may as well throw in all the kids because Australia just lost its X factor.

Reply #481238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, we should actually use this as a chance to blood the young ones early. My revised lineup

C - Baynes, Jawai
Pf - Bairstow, Anderson, Maker
Sf - Ingles, Simmons, Broekhoff
Sg - Exum, Newley, Goulding
Pg - Delly, Gibson

I still see us going through to the second round. Even with our injuries, we should still take care of Mexico and South Korea quite easily and should win against Angola. We could also sneak victories against Lithuania and Slovenia.

Reply #481239 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

This is a massive loss. Absolutely huge. It now stuffs up the guard rotation quite a bit. Delly is going to have to play big minutes at PG because Exum isn't a PG IMO and the other PG stocks aren't up to stock. All of a sudden, the PG depth is shot to pieces and you are looking at Markovic, Gibson or Martin as your Backup.

Boomers won't get top 8 or top 4 now.

Guard lineup will now be exposed. No x-factor. Exum too young, raw and inexperienced, Gibson not up to international standard, Goulding a great player but unproven at this level. Delly will carry the ship but can see him having too much weight on his shoulders.

Reply #481241 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Hmmm...well I will be happy with anything past 2nd round. time to lower expectations, and hate to say it, blood some young guys.. who knows maybe Dante Exum could surprise the world and take us deep?

Reply #481243 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Damian Martin definitely goes to Spain with Mills out.

Reply #481246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills was such a massive part of our offensive, this is devastating.

I say Exum is the one that needs to stand up. He needs to be constantly attacking the basket, drawing fouls and making plays.

Reply #481249 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

No Bogut
No Mills
Huge blow to our chances but a really terrific opportunity for some of the younger players to come through.
Hopefully we get it all sorted for the Olympics.

Reply #481259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, I'm keen to see what Exum, Simmons and even Maker if he's chosen can do in this setting. I just hope they don't ride the bench and only get playing time late in the fourth when the game has already been decided. I want them to actually get decent minutes.

Reply #481262 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This hurts but with the draw we have top eight should still be a definite aim.

Reply #481264 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Dellavadova / Martin / Gibson
Goulding / Exum
Ingles / Newley
Andersen / Bairstow / Motum
Baynes / Jawai

Even without Mills top 8 should be very achievable. Beyond that would be a tall order: in Lemanis, we trust!

Reply #481266 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Goulding needs to be the guy hitting shots without mills.. we also should look at guys like drmic/broekhoff.. we need to replace 20 ppg somewhere

Reply #481277 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:35 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754