paul
Years ago

Melbourne to announce Barlow signing?

Press conference tomorrow to announce their latest signing, described as "a highly-regarded Olympian with European experience".

Melbourne fans will be hoping it's Ingles, but given the long-running rumours you'd imagine it's Barlow.

Topic #34802 | Report this topic

SC  
Years ago

One would have to assume so after the lengthy discussions between both parties.

Reply #481084 | Report this post

Red 66  
Years ago

If Barlow and Dennis are as good as done, per the rumours then surely that means Goulding will definitely not return?

If so that would mean the roster is:

Wortho
Walker
Barlow
Odigie
Dennis
Tomlinson
Corletto

3 players yet to be signed. Presumably two bigs and a small, with one of the bigs being an import.

Reply #481088 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

is Morrison coming back??

Reply #481089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if Barlow is the right player for United/Tigers given they already have Walker and Wortho under contract. I think Barlow is too slow now to play 2-guard which means most likely Walker coming off the bench and Tomlinson starting

PG - Tomlinson / Cheap PG
SG - Dennis / Corletto
SF - Barlow / Odigie
PF - Wortho / Walker
C - Import Big / Cheap Big

Not really an exciting line up.

Reply #481090 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

With strong family and also Worthington connections, this is very probable.
Now with a young family and limited European options, DB will be looking for some stability.
Ingles is surely still a respectable signing for European teams.

Reply #481092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dennis/Tomlinson
Goulding/Corletto
Barlow/Odigie
Worthington/Walker
Import/MacMillan

Reply #481099 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

lol, Looks pretty Handy Lineup so far. Dennis Would have gone close to MVP last year had he not hurt himself. That's some excitement right there.

Reply #481100 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Poor roster management, they will still have a point to spare.

Reply #481101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kickert

Reply #481102 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Pfft Kickert. Not an olympian for one, and for 2.. hardly even a Basketball player. Just a slightly better Ben Allen

Reply #481104 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

GWB you are right he is not an Olympian, but you should do a lot more research about what he has done in good European leagues.

Reply #481106 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Everytime I have seen him play he has been one dimensional garbage... would love to see him prove me wrong of course

Reply #481109 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Dennis (10)/Tomlinson (3)
Goulding (9)/Corletto (7)
Barlow (10)/Odigie (1)
Worthington (9)/Walker (7)
Import (10)/MacMillan (4)
=70

Surely they can't afford that?
That roster is scary.

Reply #481111 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Barlow one of the most overrated basketball players in Australian basketball history??

-'Dennis Would have gone close to MVP last year had he not hurt himself. That's some excitement right there.'

What a stupid thing to suggest considering the guy never even played a regular season NBL game.

Reply #481112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GWB - That is a bad call - Kickertt will be announced as the Marquee player. If you knew the inside stuff, each Aus camp and appearance he struggled with a bad back. (not to make excuses) but timing was terrible.

What I don't know is if he is healthy, IF he is he will be huge for Tigers. I am nervous with the roster though. Wortho, Goulding, Kickertt all wanting shots.

If Kick's signed at a club like Wollongong he would be a 20/10 night in night out. With Tigers he will be a 15/12 with that roster.

Best Aussie 4 in the league hands down, with Euro (agree do your research) experience.

Good to see talented aussies back either way. Great Decision by NBL to bring in marquee rule.

Finally a half decent decision.

Reply #481115 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

If Daniel Kickert is Marquee may as well scrap the league

The announcement DID say 'olympian' I don't believe Kickert has ever played in the olympics. I actually think Barlow or Kickert would be reaching low for Marquee... Show me Ingles, Maybe Newley,

Reply #481145 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree Kickert isn't the stereotypical image of a marquee player - I think he is a similar level to guys like Forman and Loughton - but he is certainly a quality player with size, shooting and experience. He would get targeted hard at the defensive end though, to both test his mobility and take the legs out of his shot.

Reply #481160 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Barlow was chosen by Goorjian to replace injured Jason Smith (a certainty until his operation was needed)for 2008 Olympic 12. Has been handed great opportunities in his career but don't think he's ever achieved much with them. Must be a double passport h0lder?

Reply #481162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No speculation needed.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/melbourne-united-signs-australian-olympic-basketball-star-david-barlow-20140701-zss1s.html

Reply #481164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hold onto your seats for Kickert announcement! Happy to revisit the thread when that gets done.

If you guys think Barlow is as good as Kickert and Newley I cant agree.
That's the beauty of opinion.

Cant wait to see this all unfold. Either way, great to see aussies back in the league. Hopefully people start going to games and watching on TV.

Need a few more Ennis type player to combine with Euro players returning. Great for NBL.

Reply #481165 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

It's the problem I have with the marquee rule.

The point of the marquee rule should be for teams to go out and get actual marquee players - i.e. players who are going to hype the team, generate increased ticket sales and get players who play to the crowd/fan-favourites. (like a Cedric Jackson).

The issue I can see is that we introduce the marquee rule and players like Barlow and Kickert (who, no disrespect, are not my definition of marquee players) are all of a sudden are happy to come back and earn $300k.

Not only are they not marquee players in the sense, but now teams are inclined to start overpaying for these players.

Teams put too much emphasis on playing in Europe. And they will get roped into making stupid decisions - because all these Euro-based Aussies will approach them and say "X amount of dollars and you've got me".

Barlow was never worth that much whilst he was here (you could argue he was at his peak in the NBL), so why all of a sudden is he worth considerably more?

Reply #481166 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

From what I am reading, they aren't using Barlow as 'marquee'

Reply #481167 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In reality though, using someone as marquee will often just be about spending just over $1mill rather than targeting a gun. It could be on someone in the $150-200K range.

Reply #481170 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Announcement confirmed of Barlow with Utd.

Good to see a talented Euro Aussie back home in the NBL.

Reply #481171 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Thats looking like one hell of a lineup. Could be a serious contender if they add one more decent player and they gel well. If they win a championship it could certainly go along way to winning back the Tigers loyalist who dont approve of the name change.

Reply #481174 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

The point of the marquee rule should be for teams to go out and get actual marquee players - i.e. players who are going to hype the team, generate increased ticket sales and get players who play to the crowd/fan-favourites. (like a Cedric Jackson).

I'd argue that Barlow fits that exact description.
Played some very good basketball for Melbourne. Left for Europe. Made the Olympic team. Well known in the league. Returning while he still isn't towards the end of his career.
He's no Andrew Bogut or Patty Mills, but our entire salary cap (entire league's in Bogut's case) wouldn't attract them. Not sure what you're expecting here. Because you need to lower those expectations.

Reply #481178 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would describe Barlow as a good player returning to a league full of good players. It doesn't generate any real excitement for me, but adds another good piece to Melbourne's team.

Reply #481180 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

The article in the Age does say that Barlow WASN'T been lured under the marquee rule and they still may add a marquee player or big name aussie

Reply #481186 | Report this post

Red 66  
Years ago

With Goulding and Dennis this is fast becoming a great lineup. But it remains to be seen what Goulding does.

Reply #481191 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Any word on what Sam Young is doing this season? I have a feeling that our import situation might not end up as good as it was last year even despite Marquee rule. Must wonder why Adelaides chasing Jamar. Either way, yet to see any exciting Marquee players from anyone yet.

Reply #481195 | Report this post

YOLO  
Years ago

4 coaches in Vegas chasing imports in a few weeks. Clubs also waiting for Summer League to finish to negotiate with Ennis types.

Reply #481198 | Report this post

Red 66  
Years ago

Is this scenario at all plausible, I wonder?

Kestlemen and Slepoy know their rebrand is struggling. They've disgruntled a lot of Tigers fans and no one else seems to be getting excited. They’ve already re signed a couple of Ex Tigers, perhaps making it even more difficult to reach out to "the other side" of the Melbourne bball community.

Solution? If Goulding gets his gig in the NBA/Europe, throw the kitchen sink at Joe Ingles. (ie: Kitchen Sink being Some of that left over cash from the >$200m they scored from the Dodo sale a couple of years back).

Ingles is one guy who could inspire thousands of Melbourne bball fans to sign up. Ex Dragons fans, etc. It makes sense from that point of view. And on court, he’d be a great fit as a replacement for Goulding.

Reply #481200 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Ingles would be awesome, but surely he would cost $500k - $1m, no NBL team would recover that from the signing of 1 player.

Yes they can probably afford it, but is it worth it, how many bums would Ingles put on seats.

Having said that as a NBL fan id love to see Ingles in the league and power to them if they decide to do it, im a massive fan of Ingles

A Dennis/Ingles back court would also be scary with the length, athleticism, ball movement, etc.

Reply #481202 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Interesting to see Nathan Sobey is in the Gong doing some workouts slipping quietly under the radar.

Reply #481203 | Report this post

Red 66  
Years ago

There's a big difference between $500,000 and $1 million.

How much would Ingles be earning at the moment?

Reply #481205 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

A season in the NBL wouldn't do Ingles NBA prospects any harm either. He's been on the brink of the NBA without being more than a sparingly used rotation guy in Europe. If he came back to the NBL and had a 'James Ennis' type season, playing as the number one option for an NBL team, that could do good things for his long-term aspirations.

In addition, the Melbourne United owners have deep, deep pockets, and need to make a splash to get this whole thing up and going. $1m for Ingles as their marquee player would be worth it in my opinion.

Reply #481206 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Red 66, plausible theory about the United owners trying to compensate for their botched rebrand.

GWB, why would any team touch Sam Young? His Kings audition showed his interest in playing team NBL basketball.

Reply #481209 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Would love to see Ingles in the NBL,

(prefer it be with the 36ers though! if only someone in Adelaide had some spare $$$ to get it done)

Reply #481210 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

So Barlow's theory of the NBL's player points cap keeping high-quality locals from playing in the league has been shot to pieces...

http://www.backpagelead.com.au/index.php/basketball/7958-barlows-nbl-return-blocked-by-ppc

Reply #481213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be called Victoria Tigers, Not Melbourne United! I thought this thread was about soccer?

Reply #481215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did you think the thread was about soccer when it's on a basketball forum, references a city name only and the name of an Australian Olympic basketball player?

Reply #481226 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

So Barlow's theory of the NBL's player points cap keeping high-quality locals from playing in the league has been shot to pieces...

I was just coming in to say the exact same thing (but it took ages to get through all the previous comments). His comment had zero credibility at the time and has only gone into the negative now...

Reply #481233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow will do what ever Barlow wants to do.
Credibility has generally been about zero.
It suits him to come back and now he's been made to look a fool (again).
Points cap comments from someone who knew little about them, yet was the expert confirm his stupidity.
Ballinger was sacked early to accommodate Barlow, Where is the sympathy now from Barlow seeing he cost Ballinger his job. Hypocrite.

Reply #481288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No comment either about the demise of the Tigers of course and he won a championship there, seeing United are paying his salary.

Reply #481290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has a wife and a young kid and wants to play in the city he grew up in.

Not sure if this is something to hate on.

Reply #481291 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

His hair, his hair is the only thing to hate on.

Reply #481293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Feel for Ballinger. Has put years in to Australia and now calls it home. Moved to Melbourne for his family and now kicked out. He puts in to the community her and now in Melbourne with kids clinics. I thought he contributed last season for Tigers and overlooked as it was all about Goulding.

Great getting Barlow but still disappointed for Ballinger. I would be happy for him to be back at Sixers... The last few years we had him he was recovering from injury and in the Marty era. Would like to see what he could do fit and in Joeys system.

Reply #481304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

News on Sobey?

Reply #481327 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

It's funny that he said that the points cap kept players like him out of the NBL. I think it’s clear that it was only ever the $ keeping him from playing here.

It’s convenient that he is coming back now when United can spend up large - I know he isn’t the marquee player, but it still allows him to pull more money than what he would have pulled in the NBL during the time he was in Europe.

He is getting more money indirectly – if they go marquee player on someone like Goudling, it means players like Barlow are going to get a little more, doesn’t it? i.e. say you have a marquee player on $300k, (just to clarify) that effectively means that where X amount of players had to be signed for $1m, now X amount of players can be signed for $1.3?

Reply #481330 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:56 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754