MELHOOPS
Years ago

I'm calling BS on Patty Mills injury

I know I'll probably get baked saying this because Patty's a stand up guy, but........

It seems to me that every time we have a player reach the pinnacle that is NBA success they no longer regard playing for Australia as a priority. Don't get me wrong if he needs surgery, he needs surgery! But why is it that every time we have an Aussie player become a star they no longer play for the Boomers. Having said that Patty's shoulder seemed in pretty good order while he was splashing those triples down the stretch in game 5 of the NBA finals, but holding a team on your shoulders can cause stress on the medial deltoid.

Previous examples such as Longley, Bogut, Anstey and now Mills have conveniently been injured during World Cup and Olympic campaigns, then amazingly recovered in time to fulfill their NBA obligations. I know they need to respect the pay cheque, but as an Aussie fan with one eye on the future, this topic will become an issue in future years as we likely have the ammunition to compete for gold if not for players ducking the obligation of representing their country. And it seems Patty's stock has peaked and playing at worlds would do nothing for his chances of landing a starting spot at another club next season.

Barring injury our future looks bright, we all agree on that I'm sure:

Mills
Exum
Simmons
Bogut
Maker

I'm betting on these guys not playing consistently for Australia over the next decade due to injury, insurance and a poorly funded and administered BA.

Hope I'm wrong!

Topic #34811 | Report this topic

GWB  
Years ago

No, I really don't think Patty Mills would cheat himself out of the world cup.. the guy loves repping oz and wants a medal.

Reply #481336 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MELHOOPS, I think you're wrong. This is a guy who pushes his country and Torres Strait Islander background consistently - he seriously cares about it. There are videos of him working with TI kids, showing cultural dances, etc. He's not too embarrassed or busy for that sort of thing.

He's passionate and represents Australia/TI whenever he can. I think this is definitely one person who would be pained not to be able to lead Australia into the World Cup games. He's just played a full season and finals campaign - 100+ games. Having a wear and tear injury is not going to be out of the question.

(That said, Manu's just suffered an injury that will keep him out of the World Cup!)

Reply #481337 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

I'm calling BS on your calling it BS.

1) The Spurs regularly have had Parker, Ginobili, Splitter and previously Duncan playing for their national teams. This isn't an organisation with a history of pressuring their players to withdraw from national duties.

2) Patty was playing with his right shoulder heavily strapped for a fair portion of the season.

Reply #481338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having surgery, like actually going into hospital, being sedated and cut open - an elaborate way to get out of playing for your country... I think not!

Reply #481342 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Its not exactly the best way to negotiate the biggest contract of your career to date either...

Reply #481344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IGNORANT AND GENERALISED COMMENT WITH NO JUSTIFICATION TO EVEN RAISE AS AN ISSUE, PARTICULARLY IN RELATION TO PATTY MILLS OF ALL PLAYERS. AS AN INDIGINOUS TORRES STRAIGHT AUSTRALIAN HE WOULD BE DISAPPOINTED THAT HE CAN NOT ONLY REPRESENT AUSTRALIA BUT HIS PEOPLE TOO. BEST WISHES TO PATTY THAT HIS SURGERY GOES WELL AND RECOVERY AND REHAB BRINGS HIM BACK TO WHERE HE IS AT NOW AND PAIN FREE.

INTERNATIONAL PLAYERS PARTICULARLY NBA HAVE A MUCH GREATER WORKLOAD DUE TO THE LENGTH AND INTENSITY OF THE SEASON SO NATURALLY HAVE A VERY HIGH REPETATIVE USE INJURY RATE. THEY ALSO HAVE LIMITED TIME FOR RECOVERY AND MAINTAIN THERE POSITION AND VIABILITY IN A HIGHLY COMPETITIVE LEAGUE. THINK BEYOND THE SQUARE AND LOK AT THE BIGGER PICTURE AND ASK YOURSELF WHY SOMETHING IS OCCURRING BEFORE YOU MAKE ASSUMPTIONS.

Reply #481345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can I RT what Isaac said.

Also without the injury I don't think he would have signed for 3yr/12m.

Reply #481346 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

Patty's Comments:
"It was a shock, I didn't know it would be this bad," Mills said. "You think nothing can deflate you after winning a championship. I had to find a way to process the injury news and what's going to happen. It's not until now that it's sinking in. ... I'm told the next four to six weeks I won't be able to do anything, and it will be brutal."

He is just going to walk around with his arm in a sling just to get out of playing for Australia. What a load of BS!!

Reply #481351 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'345, turn off caps lock please...

Reply #481357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure bag Longley & Bogut about their commitment to the green & gold but Mills always plays in the big tournaments and I'm sure he wants this injury at the exact time he's a free agent!

Reply #481359 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I think if Patty could play he would. He is not to be confused with Bogut.

Reply #481361 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

So Melhoops, you're calling Patty out for his supposed lack of patriotism, and justify your claim by somehow simultaneously disputing and affirming the legitimacy of his injury?

How does that even work?! Think shit through before posting.

Reply #481369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WHY ?

Reply #481370 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I find MELHOOPS suggestion to be offensive, and think this entire thread should be deleted.

Reply #481374 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Have we ever had so many aussies in the summer league at once?

Reply #481375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I said on forum where everybody was knocking Andrew Bogut for not playing that is would be interesting whether patty plays oh surprise surprise. Having said that if i was in the position of setting myself up for the rest of my life i know what i would do.

Reply #481391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GIVE IT UP 391 - EDUCATE YOURSELF ON SPORTS INJURIES PARTICULARLY ROTATOR CUFF TEARS AND HOW PAINFUL IT IS AND COMMON IN PARTICULAR SPORTS AND OCCUPATIONS. HE IS HAVING SURGERY, NOT FICTIONAL SO YOU CAN HAVE YOUR IDEALISM LUBRICATED THAT EVERYONE WHO MAKES IT HAS NO NATIONAL PRIDE. SERIOUSLY ISAAC, INSTEAD OF WORRYING I HAVE MY CAPS LOCK ON CAUSE I LIKE IT, DELETE NUMNUTS THAT POST OFFENSIVE RUBBISH INSTEAD OR ASK THEM TO PLEASE TURN THEMSELVES OFF... CAPS FOR EVA - DO YOU GET IT NOW !!!!

Reply #481395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this for real? Or just an elaborate trolling attempt? No one who's paid even cursory attention to Patty's development believes he faked an injury to get out of Worlds.

Reply #481405 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

ffs...are you new to the internet.?.

CAPS IS YELLING

just common courtesy not to do it..it's not Isaac's problem

turn em off you tool

Reply #481413 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

No I think he is legitimately injured and is simply listening to sound advice. If he could I believe he would play for Australia without a doubt.

Reply #481423 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

CAPS FOR EVA - DO YOU GET IT NOW !!!!
Say hello to Bill Russell then.

Reply #481428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WILL DO... Sorry Will do !!!!

Reply #481432 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

I have found in life that those who set high standards for others set low standards for themselves and then fail to achieve them.

Personally I would struggle to enjoy playing for a country where if I have good reasons or not for not playing my integrity is questioned by keyboard warriors who struggle to get out of bed in the morning!

Reply #481465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel you frustration MELHOOPS but I don't think Mills would fake this. Bogut is a different story........

Reply #481567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you can't fake shoulder surgery

Reply #481587 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

MelHoops should be banned from this site.

Reply #481590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DOES THIS MEAN YOU'RE YELLING ALOUD? OR YELLING IN YOUR MIND?

Reply #481605 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

Wow - Patty playing the part of faking the injury with a instagram photo of him in a wheelchair with his arm in a sling.

http://instagram.com/p/qCdqE9K0Fu/

Are you going to print a retraction Melhoops?

Reply #481720 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:49 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754