Isaac
Years ago

Lowry re-signs with Toronto - $48m/4

Lowry, 28, had been a free agent target of several teams, including Miami and Houston. In his second full season in Toronto, Lowry had a borderline All-Star season, averaging 17.9 points, 7.4 assists and 4.7 rebounds per game. He led Toronto to the playoffs for the first time in five years, losing in a seven-game series to Brooklyn.
Now what, Heat?

Topic #34813 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

$12m per, nuts.

Reply #481358 | Report this post

Coeezy  
Years ago

Not nuts actually, considering his all-star caliber year even if he wasn't one. Win both sides I think.

Reply #481364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's crazy $8m per tops. I know they had to overpay to keep him but still.

Reply #481365 | Report this post

Jimbob  
Years ago

Lowry is the best point guard in the east, I'd prefer him to irving as he's a better two way player, smart move by the raptors in my opinion.

Reply #481367 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

I think the Heat will be looking at more solid role player types now, at best Hawes and Ariza types i reckon given they dont seem to have stacks of cap space left after the big 3 (assuming they all stay)

Reply #481368 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Lowry averaged 17.9 PPG and 7.4 APG and the Raptors lost narrowly in game seven of their Brooklyn series. Sounds like he's worth it to me.

From comments I read from fans, consensus seemed to be that the deal is about right.

Can't see how the Heat could improve with Hawes - would replicate Bosh's role a lot.

Reply #481371 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Only thin with Lowry is the perception of him being a contract year guy.

Reply #481377 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

Gotta over pay when you are from a lesser market. Happens all the time.

Reply #481382 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

Not overpaying ... the raptors forums are loving it. He was there best player last season (yes better than derozan who made the allstar team).

You'd pay 12m a year for anyone if you get 4 allstar equivalent years from them.

Reply #481389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously I haven't seen enough of Lowry in recent times and I'm happy to admit I'm wrong as Dan Feldman thinks this is excellent value. To me Lowry has always been a borderline starter calibre player.

That's fantastic value for the Raptors. Signing him to just $12 million per year, they’ll have flexibility in coming seasons to continue upgrading the team.

Most importantly, they’ll have Lowry. Their best player, he should keep the Raptors a challenger in the East.

As for Lowry, he gets more long-term security than he’s ever had in his sometimes turbulent career. Perhaps, he could have drawn more money from another team, but there’s clearly a comfort level in Toronto.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/02/raptors-re-sign-kyle-lowry-to-four-year-48-million-contract/

When I first heard the rumour he was going to get $12m per I honestly thought it was a joke.

Reply #481392 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

It's easy for us to sit back and say 'they've overpaid'..he's not worh that much blah blah.

But we don't see what goes on behind the scenes. Great team mate, good duo with Demar and Jonas, loved by fans and the GM, marketeable guy. I reckon he ticks most if not all of those points. You can't just look at salaries and say this guys overpaid because so and so gets X dollars. It comes down to individual cases. In any event, I feel $12m is about right.

Reply #481429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think it's that much of a surprise really. I mean bradley got 4 year for $32m and let's be honest, he's not close to Lowry! They're also suggesting that pistons will offer Thomas $8m per year!

Reply #481470 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:25 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754