LC
Years ago

2014 NBA Summerleague

Let's keep the NBA Summerleague talk to a single thread.

With NBA Summerleague, Australia will be well represented.

Matthew Dellavedova - Cavs
Chris Goulding - Mavs
Dante Exum - Jazz
Cameron Bairstow - Bulls
Jordan Vandenberg - Knicks

Brock Motum is still a chance for the Jazz's roster which he is currently trialling for.

We may also see Baynes suit up for a yet to ne named team - it may not even be the Spurs.

Topic #34822 | Report this topic

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Spurs have extended Baynes a Qualifying Offer of $1.1million making him a restricted free agent, he can accept or see if other teams offer and if the Spurs will match.

LC where did you hear that Baynes might suit up for another team?

Hopefully Brock makes the Jazz Summer League team

Reply #481573 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I meant if he did not stick with the Spurs...

Reply #481574 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Vandenberg, man talking about kids with a body for basketball. I believe in this kid he is still so raw though if he can improve his skills i reckon he could be a really good player. His height is obviously his best asset. But watching some NC State games i see potential in him. If he works hard he could easily fit in the rotation of a European team but at the moment his yonks from that!

Reply #481583 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_g4isEHZPQ

Watching this video really shows how underrated he is.

Reply #481585 | Report this post

The Rock  
Years ago

Baynes has to decline & push for more $$$ elsewhere the spurs will match anything under 3mill

Reply #481586 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Yeah you're right Benno, he has a lot of potential, if he signs with a euro team and continues to develop in a good Euro system he could be a very good player.

Reply #481588 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Kiwi Rob Loe is also playing for GSW.

Reply #481589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes should stay with the spurs... is becoming a better player and learning the right way to play the game.

Reply #481591 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Baynes would be stupid to leave the Spurs. Learning from a hall of fame PF, he is in the best situation he possibly could be in at this present time.

Reply #481592 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

do they show these games on nba league pass???

Reply #481668 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

@Phil unsure about this, but there is a special Summer League pass you can buy for $15 (AU)

Reply #481690 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Phil, my league pass has tomorrow's games listed, so I'm expecting to be able to watch them. I have the premium option though, so that may make a difference as to whether you get access.

Reply #481699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What time do the games start tomorrow, Adelaide time?

Reply #481700 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

i have league pass which shows all games and finals and have nba tv so i should have them. ill check if they are listed later. cheers bean

Reply #481703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pacers v nets 1030 tonight, ok'd v Boston 1230
each game is 2 hours apart for the rest of the night, Assuming it's this way so all can be played in smaller venues and all players scouted.

Reply #481708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The games aren't listed on Firstrow, does anyone know a free stream?

Reply #481716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bro spend the 15.. Watch it in HD don't be a tight ass

Reply #481732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

James ennis playing for Miami.. Celtics fielding a extreme strong summer league side and he looks out of his depth against nba level competition. Napier the same has struggled but will get better and better. Marcus smart and Olynik are all over the court both ends

Reply #481741 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

SPOILERS

nerlens noel looked damn damn good for the sixers. good at both ends. protected the rim , deflected passes. was good on the offensive end there. both noel and oladipo looked several grades above everyone else.

gordon looks like a work in progress. such an athlete but so much to learn. jumpshots never looked like going in. looks like he will have fun when oladipo runs the floor with him but in half court offense gordon will be an opportunist scorer.

payton had a horror game. stuff to work with though.

kj mcdaniels looked pretty good too. just looks like a guy that could be a long time big big role player for a team.

Reply #481760 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

James Ennis 18p on 5/11, 8r and 3s in 28mins.
Steve Adams 7p on 2/4 and 2b in 18mins but had a bit of a calf niggle.

Reply #481761 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Imagine how long and defensively imposing 76ers starting lineup will be in 2 years, perfect for Brett Browns preferred defensive systems. Good luck scoring in the paint with this...

7'0 Embid
7'0 Noel
6'9 Saric
6'7 (Next years 1-3 draftee)
6'6 Carter-Wil

Reply #481769 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I thought Olynk, Ennis and Pressey were the best players

Marcus Smart and Shabazz Napier got better as the game went on and also looked ok, both teams were a bit sloppy early, the Heat the more so.

Reply #481780 | Report this post

MCV  
Years ago

Huge game by Ennis against Nets. 29 points, 7-8 from the 3-point line. All in 25 minutes.

Reply #481867 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Just checked todays boxscores

Steven Adams scored 12 pts 4 rebounds in a loss to the 76ers

James Ennis scored 29 pts, 2 assists, 4 rebounds in a win v the Nets, shot 10/12 FG and 7/8 3pts, looks like he is doing well this summer league given he is playing with/against current NBA players and draft picks, and being among the best in both games. Will be interesting to see if he gets a contract, his summerleague form would have only helped his chances imo.

Reply #481868 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Ennis will get a contract with the Heat on the minimum you'd think.

Reply #481869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Imagine how long and defensively imposing 76ers starting lineup will be in 2 years, perfect for Brett Browns preferred defensive systems. Good luck scoring in the paint with this...

7'0 Embid
7'0 Noel
6'9 Saric
6'7 (Next years 1-3 draftee)
6'6 Carter-Wil"

If Embiid can get back to full health then they'll be a monster defensive team. Embiid and Noel in the middle will be a twin tower esque defensive force. Them plus Saric and a few more lottery picks will make them a tough team in the future.

It seems OKC might have gotten one of the steals in the draft with Adams. I guess they're the ones that are laughing now.

Reply #481887 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

OKC got Adams last year?

Reply #481891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some positive stuff regarding Exum on day one of practice for the Vegas SL.

http://saltcityhoops.com/notes-on-day-1-of-utah-jazz-summer-league-practice/

Reply #482231 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Chris Goulding had a pretty flat game stats wise. 2/8 FG , 4 Fouls , 2 TO , no assists or rebounds in 38 mins.

Reply #482542 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yeah and he started too. Vandenberg saw no action in the same game.

Reply #482543 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

He's going to have to lift his shooting or get in the game in other ways if he is to make the mavs team . I didn't watch the have but interested to here how he did defensively . 4 fouls and no steals ... Doesn't sound that good.

Reply #482562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly had a good game in the Cavs win over the Bucks with 13pts, 9rebs, 6ast.

The commentators were saying how much the Wizards Bradley Beal rates Delly.

"Dellavedova from Cleveland is a great defender. He's a pest, he annoys you. I give credit where it’s due, man, ’cause he’s definitely one of the toughest that I’ve been against."

Reply #482568 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And in case you missed it, Brock Motum also made the Jazz roster!

Reply #482574 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

goulding was actually quite good defensively against new york. with his size you worry about how he could be exposed by bigger more athletic guys but he really blocked the passing lanes and he fought through screens really well.

he also suffered at the hand of just how terrible that mavs team played. i think in the first 5 mins of the qtr goulding didnt even get a touch on offense despite being open on the wing on every possession while the mavs kept driving into a waiting aldritch.

imo goulding was just about the only guy playing team basketball on that mavs team , they were terrible to watch. he constantly went to his team-mates after a play. the few times you saw some good movement fast passing around the court goulding was involved. some very sharp passes.

in saying that his strength is his 3point shooting and he didnt really exhibit that today. if an nba team drafts him it will be for that, his shooting actually looked sharp though. he did a lot outside of shooting that i wasnt expecting but i hope he picks up that side in the next game.

i think a lot of positives from goulding from that game , will need more though to scream pick me at nba level but he didnt look out of place there.

a couple of years ago i wouldnt have said this but i think given the chance goulding could make a nice career out of being a depth player who comes out and spreads the floor.

Reply #482580 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Delly was rock solid as a starter with 3p, 1r, 7a and 1s in 30min the Cavs win over the Spurs.

Bairstow was also solid in starting again, collecting 6p, 6r & 1a in 26 min as the Bulls routed the Nuggets.

Reply #482808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly is going to be the back up pg for the Cavs next year with Jack being traded.

PG. Irving, Dellavedova, Cherry
SG. Wiggins, Waiters, Harris
SF. James, Felix
PF. Thompson, Bennett, Powell
C. Varejao, Haywood, Kirk

Decent team

Reply #482814 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

so far all the sl games with aussies ive watched and checked for the + - the aussies have all been very high in the + -. amongst the highest in the teams and regularly around 15+/22+

i know + - doesnt mean everything but it does seem a trend (delly , mills and bogut all team highish good + - whenever i watched their regular season games too)

chance or do aussies naturally play good team basketball and help their team play better than some of their non-oz counterparts?

Reply #482841 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Through junior programs in Oz, it is a more team oriented culture compared to USA. Hence when Aussies land in USA, they bring a team-first philosophy.

Reply #482852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're absolutely right, team first and do anything to win

Reply #482863 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

#TeamPnR's Darrel Wilson was on the scene in Las Vegas and managed to catch up with a number of NBA players, including Dante Exum, Matthew Dellavedova & Cameron Bairstow plus he also caught up with Anthony Bennett and more...

Las Vegas Summer League Diary: Opening Weekend

We have audio from the interviews and video.

Check it out!

Reply #483369 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:26 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754