Anonymous
Years ago

Hayward Accepts Hornets Offer

Hornets have offered Hayward a 4 year $63m contract which he's agreed to sign. I get the feeling that the Jazz will match although originally wouldn't go over $12m per year.

Is it me or is this a way over the top offer???? He's not worth that sum of money!

Topic #34854 | Report this topic

Phil  
Years ago

i think small towns have to pay premium prices to get talent there.

Reply #482205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hes not worth it but thats how FA works.

Reply #482227 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

Haywood is not worth just under 16 million a year.
He a good player, as he average 16-5-5 last year, but seems overpriced.

It's pretty crazy that the Jazz offered him 12 mil a year as the contract extension & Haywood wouldn't sign unless it was 13 mil a year.
Now it looks like it 's going to back fire on the Jazz & cost them a lot of money in the long run.

If MJ does get Haywood, he would put a pretty interesting team on the court next year, that should make the playoff again.

PG - Kemba Walker
SG - Gerald Henderson
SF - Gordan Haywood
PF - Noah Vonleh/Cody Zeller
C - Al Jefferson

If the Jazz do match, does MJ move his attention to Chandler Parsons?

Reply #482232 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

If Jordan gets Gordon, Charlotte is going to enjoy the return of the Hornets next season. That's quite a nice starting five to work with, especially if Vonleh can contribute a little bit in his first season.

Yeah he overpaid a little for Hayward, but it was the only way to significantly improve their wing position straight away.

If Utah doesn't match, the Hornets will have assembled a nice little core to bring them a few winning seasons and perhaps revive themselves as a franchise in Charlotte.

Reply #482233 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

A lot of money for a bloke who can't play defence though.

Reply #482236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not only his defense but also his shooting percentages are poor

I didn't realise that Jazz has extended Favors for $49m over 4 years either.

They have a decent young group out at Utah and as someone previously mentioned, to keep them you have to over pay in the smaller markets.

Reply #482256 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

If you think he can't play defence you have definitely not watched him play. I've seen him lock down on Kobe more than once and seen him shut down other opposition wings on occasion. He's a very solid defender.

Reply #482257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jordan still giving the Jazz headaches.

I think it's a great move by Charlotte as they need outside shooting. Everyone thought they were going to get Doug McDermott in the draft but as Vonleh slide they couldn't pass him up.

This way they still get the outside shooting, but in a Veteran and since Charlotte is in win now mode, they will pay top dollar for that. Also Hayward is versatile and can play the 2 guard next to Michael Kidd-Gilchrist as SF or play the SF next to Gerald Henderson.

I originally thought Utah would match the offer, but since Utah is so young and won't contend for at least 2-3 more years, I can see them passing on him and tanking this season to get another top recruit and letting Burke and Dante take time to develop.

Reply #482279 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Great signing by the Hornets.

I thought they should chase Deng and Vince Carter at the start of Free Agency as they needed a strong wing player who can shoot.

Hayward also gives them these things, i like it.

Reply #482281 | Report this post

The Rock  
Years ago

Hayward is a baller . dont sleep on him
good fit for charlotte

Reply #482381 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:22 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754