Tornado
Years ago

LeBron James signs with Cleveland

Lebron has agreed to terms and announced he will return to the Cavs.

Watch the FA dominoes fall now....

Does this mean more likelihood Melo lands in Chicago , Bosh in Houston....time will tell?!

Topic #34872 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Lin to Lakers.

Reply #482524 | Report this post

MCV  
Years ago

Unbelievable.

Reply #482527 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Anyone watching chris?

Reply #482528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope

Reply #482529 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Return of the Kang.Kang James is back. Spurs bust up Miami.

Reply #482531 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Bosh has since signed max deal with the Heat!

Reply #482534 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Thought Bosh would certainly go to Houston as they got rid of Lins massive contract and obviously with Lebron leaving the Heat. Very very strange rationale by Bosh.

Love wants to go to the Cavs so bad but Minny don't want anything less than Wiggins. And its right that CLE don't want to give him up. Minny aren't in the strongest position and someone probably needs to tell them to scale back their demands otherwise Love will just walk at seasons end and theyl have nothing.

Do Houston go ahead and match Dallas' offer for Parsons now that they won't get Bosh or do they take aim at a second tier FA like Deng, Monroe etc

Reply #482539 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

extra $30 Million i'm guessing

Reply #482540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a surpirse. So who will cleveland sign with the $12m left over (i think that's what they have left). So they have two guys on max contracts! The whole thing seems weird to me. All the hate from cleveland, Gilbert and the letter yet they get him back?

Will they trade the likes of wiggins, Bennett and Thompson for love?

Good trade for the lakers picking up Lin who's contract expires at end of season and future first rounder. Also resigned Hill (2 years/$18m which is ok as short contract) and Young (4 years/ 21.5m which seems excessive in years to me) Offered Gasol $20m over two years which he rejected and now seems certain to leave.

Lakers current starting 5 looks like

G - Lin
G- Bryant
F - Young (Melo if he decided to sign)
F - Randle
C - Hill

Surely that's a better starting line up than the Knicks for Melo. Now that Aldridge has stated he's going to stay at Blazers and I think Love will sign with Cavs.

Suns trade $7m trade exception and draft rights for Oriakhi for Thomas (4 years/$27m).

Reply #482541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lebron hasn't done his legacy any favours by jumping back and forth. Wasn't even willing to work with 2 past all stars who are friends. Apparently vandals have been painting over his face on a mural that took two years to complete. Interesting to see what the miami fans are like will they prove to be just bandwagoners!

It's rumoured that Melo has taken Lakers out of the equation and narrowed it to the Bulls or Knicks. So is there going to be any players left for the Lakers to offer a max contract?

Reply #482544 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's all made out as though LeBron has written his personal letter, but is there anything to read in the Cavs names he mentioned? Irving, Waiters, Varejao. From memory, he didn't mention Wiggins or Bennett. Has he been told these guys are trade bait?

Reply #482552 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Wow! the rumours were true on this one, difficult to leave MIA weather for CLE, i would also imagine it would've been difficult to tell Pat Riley

anyone have rumoured contract details of Lebrons CLE contract? yrs? money?

hopefully Delly is re-signed with Cavs!

Reply #482553 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

If anyone hasn't read it yet, his statement. Much more mature than "The Decision"

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/11/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers

Reply #482554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cavs would be mad to trade Wiggins. He's been listed as a SG all through the draft process but is realistically a SF. Playing next to Lebron it won't matter, as they're both incredible wing defenders with different offensive skill sets. If Varejao can remain effective in the middle, Cleveland should have one of the best defences in the league.

Leave the roster as is for now, let Lebron be the locker room alpha dog and squash any Irving/Waiters issues, then dangle Waiters closer to the trade deadline once teams are no longer convinced that he can't play with Irving. If they upgrade the Bennett part of their reported offer to the T-wolves to Thompson, I think they'll get a deal.

Reply #482555 | Report this post

TheFoxHat  
Years ago

Now the Cavaliers need to get Greg Oden and they can have a No1 pick starting lineup.
C Oden
F Bennett
F LeBron
G Wiggins
G Irving. Nba first

Reply #482557 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

As it stands, there are currently 4 x #1 draft picks on the Cavs roster. James, Irving, Bennett and Wiggins.

Edit: beat me to the punch!

Reply #482558 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

According to ESPN "Cavs have opened trade talks for Kevin Love by offering Dion Waiters, Anthony Bennett & 1st-round pick to T-Wolves."
i'd include Karasev in that trade as well

Reply #482563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This makes things very interesting. I've always disliked lebron but after reading that letter my respect for him has grown.

The Cavs are smart to take Wiggins off the table. The kid has ridiculous amounts of potential and will learn alot from Lebron. If they can get Love then they will have a very strong starting lineup.

Varajeo
Love
James
Wiggins
Irving

That's much better than Miami's previous starting lineup.

Reply #482564 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

The Timberwolves are playing hard-ball: Love won't likely be traded to Cleveland unless they receive Wiggins in return.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11203427/kevin-love-intrigued-commit-cleveland-cavaliers

Reply #482569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If i was the Timberwolves GM and was trading him to Cleveland, Wiggins is the first person i would go after so it's understandable.

It's tricky. Wiggins could end up being a top tier franchise player. Do you trade away that kind of potential for a great player now?

Reply #482570 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

You do not trade Wiggins. Cavs need to work in a deal with another team to make the Love deal happen.

Reply #482573 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

Delly and Wiggins were good today in the Vegas game against the Bucks, Wiggins has a killer stepback. Going to be way more interesting watching Delly and the bucks this year thats for sure! And yes the Lebron Statement was very well written, they also had a quick interview with Gilbert talking about the sitdown he had with Lebron, seems they have both grown up a bit ;)

Reply #482576 | Report this post

Europa 86  
Years ago

does this mean ennis starting for heat?

Reply #482577 | Report this post

shayno  
Years ago

wiggins at sg??? u have got to be kidding me!

Reply #482579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or they could play Lebron at sg? I don't see Wiggins not starting.

Reply #482582 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

for me irving , wiggins and lebron would be great running the floor. you certainly wouldnt want them to get open space against you.

i think bennett is the guy who i think will be expendable at the cavs. i imagine cavs will run a bit of small ball with a centre and lebron , wiggins etc for some gametime. i dont see how 6'8 bennett fits in with this team that wouldnt be better served by a stretch four like love.

Reply #482584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And concerning Wiggens and Delly, both had pretty bad shooting games.

Wiggens - 7-18 (1-8 3pt) and Delly - 3-11 (1-6 3pt)

Delly also had 6 turnovers.

Reply #482587 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Shooting isn't everything.

Delly had a good game rebounds and assists wise.

Reply #482592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Course Bennett is expendable but who's going to take him!

Minny is doing the right thing get wiggins or no deal.

Reply #482599 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I'm not fooled by Lebron's letter or his return to the Cavs. A return to a team he burned that now has a lot of potential current & future talent. A return that also helps rebuild his reputation and increases his chances of more rings than an ageing Heat roster thus improving his legacy. He's still a ring chaser - it's just better disguised this time.

Reply #482613 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

LeBron and Dan Gilbert have orchestrated this beautifully. The Cavs would never truely bottom out with LeBron on the roster so they concocted a master plan.

"LeBron you bail out for a while and get yourself a championship or two, the Cavs will suck badly for a few years and subsequently pick up a handful of top picks and then you come back to a team that with you will be a serious contender"

"that's brilliant Dan, but you gotta act like a whinny lil bitch and write an over the top letter about how much you hate me. Let's do this and we'll talk again when I opt out of my next contract"

I know, I'm being a mad conspiracy theorist right. But sometimes it can be fun just wondering "what if".

Reply #482618 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yeah i think Lebron knew he was going to the Cavs a while ago if he didnt win the title this year.

Think the Big Z jersey retirement ceremony was perhaps the moment or a clear signal of his future plans.

Reply #482624 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

Anthony Bennett and David Blatt are part of the conspiracy theory?

Reply #482625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Cavs v bucks game was interesting. I liked the look of Bennett, he seems to have slimmed down a bit and his shooting stroke looks pretty nice.
Wiggins and Parker looked great and will both be great.
I'd offer waiters and Thompson or similar for klove but nothing more. If they don't do it guarentee klove a max deal next year when he opts out. Gives everyone a year to mature.

Reply #482629 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Smart move by LeBron. And done with good grace this time. I didn't like 'The Decision' before but young guys make mistakes and he's clearly learnt from that, so good luck to him.

I'm hoping Love doesn't go to the Cavs, but I think they are in the box seat. I can't see Boston or Golden State trumping an offer of Waiters, Thompson, Bennett and a draft pick or two.

I think Minnesota will eventually blink and accept they aren't getting Wiggins. If they got the package above, they would be in pretty good shape, especially if Bennett and Waiters can realise their potential.

Pekovic G. Deng
Thompson Bennett
Budinger Brewer
Martin Waiters Lavine
Rubio Shved

Reply #482636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way would you take Bennett and waiters for love. How can they offer a max contract to love next year when Lebron and Irving already have max contract?

Reply #482656 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I dont reckon Cavs desperately need Love,

Thompson and Bennett can hold down PF solidly enough imo and LeBron will likely play a fair bit there aswell.

I hope the Cavs dont trade Wiggins for anyone,except Durant (which wont happen) as if Wiggins is worth half his hype, which i reckon he will be, he will be better than Love in a few years.

Reply #482658 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

To anon above, the Cavs can easily accommodate Love in a trade. He is on nearly $16mill this season, so they just need to trade about that much back to Minnesota. Once they have Love on their roster, they will have his Bird Rights and can go over the cap to sign him to an extension.

If you look at Cleveland's salaries, the only way they can really make it work is to trade Waiters, Thompson and Bennett, which comes to just over $16mill. At the very least two of those three would have to be in the deal. If Minny capitulates then maybe Cleveland manages to hang on to Thompson.

Jonno, if they stick with Thompson and Bennett instead of Love, they aren't winning anything next season. If they sign Love, they are only a couple of good role-players away from contending again.

I think they would be fools not to trade for Love just because they wanted to hang on to one of Thompson (solid but limited player) or Bennett (talented offensively but terrible attitude on D).

Reply #482748 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea, i do agree, and hope they can get Love without trading Wiggins,

Im perfectly fine with trading Waiters, Thompson, Bennett + future picks for Love, just not sure T-wolves accept, but are there many other better deals out there???

Reply #482749 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

My point was i dont think they are that desperate to get Love they need to cave and put Wiggins in the deal.

If Thompson and Bennett are not enough, assuming they get Mike Miller and Ray Allen

They could Play LeBron plenty of minutes at PF.

Could go something like this

Varejao/Haywood
James/Thompson/Bennett
Wiggin/Miller
Waiters/Allen
Irving/Dellavedova

Thats still pretty nice as a sort of worse case scenario imo.

May not win the Title, but even LeBron said he doesnt think they will win next season so a little patience will be had if need be.

Just dont give up on a guy who has been hyped as a future star before he has played a game in Wiggins, at worse he is an atheltic, versatile defender who can score 15 pts a game, at best he is a superstar and better than Love.

Reply #482750 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:55 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754