LC
Years ago

Boomers Extended Squad named for World Cup

Basketball Australia has named a 17-man Boomers squad ahead of the 2014 FIBA World Cup.

Stars headline Boomers squad for World Cup camp

Australian Boomers Extended Squad - 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup

David Andersen – Strasbourg (France)
Cameron Bairstow – Chicago Bulls (NBA)
Aron Baynes – San Antonio Spurs (NBA)
Angus Brandt – Sydney Kings (NBL)
Ryan Broekhoff – Besiktas (Turkey)
Matthew Dellavedova – Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA)
Dante Exum – Utah Jazz (NBA)
Adam Gibson – Adelaide 36ers (NBL)
Chris Goulding – Melbourne United (NBL)
Joe Ingles – Maccabi Tel-Aviv (Israel)
Nathan Jawai – Galatasaray (Turkey)
Damian Martin – Perth Wildcats (NBL)
Brock Motum – Bologna (Italy)
Brad Newley – Gran Canaria (Spain)
Ben Simmons – Montverde Academy (USA)
Lucas Walker – Melbourne United (NBL)
Mark Worthington – Melbourne United (NBL)

Any obvious omissions or surprise inclusions?

Brandt and Walker are surprise inclusions for mine, and no Nevill or Petrie?

Topic #34896 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

From here, they have a camp in late July in Canberra and then a three-week tour of Europe before the Cup itself.

Reply #482920 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

I'm surprised and glad that Jawai has been included, because in a recent Podcast with Downtown basketball (June 2014) Luc Longley said the boomers are struggling with the bigs without Bogut,Maric and mentioned that they still have Baynes, Neville, Brandt but never mentioned Jawai.

Baynes, Jawai
Andersen,Bairstow, Motum
Ingles, Simmons
Goulding, Broekhoff or Newley
Delly, Exum ,Martin

Reply #482921 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Lance.. that is the exact team I was thinking of. Have a cookie

Reply #482924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slight concern for me is the lack of a legit 7 footer who can block shots. That's why I thought someone like Nevill or Ogilvy would at least get a look in.

Reply #482925 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Looking forward to possibly seeing Jawai in his first major tournament. Definitely time to add Simmons imo to play as Ingles back up and even a few mins at power forward. My team the same as Lance but lean towards Newley for the final spot.

Reply #482929 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

For mine, the lack of a genuine 7-footer is the only major concern. No Bogut, Maric or Nevill.

Reply #482930 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Walker getting added to the squad is interesting.

The guy only avg 7.5pt, 5.4brds, 1ast & 1.75 T/Os.

Not a standout in the NBL and isn't in it to develop as is closer to 30 than 25.

Other than Wlaker thou i like the squad from the guys that are availble.

Reply #482933 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

None of those NBL guys are up to snuff except Goulding.

Reply #482935 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

^what Mick said

Reply #482937 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Very surprised that Ogilvy isn't there.

Reply #482938 | Report this post

Our Game  
Years ago

Very pleasing to see big Nate in the mix, he's worked extremely hard for the opportunity. Well lack a genuine 7 footer but we'll have a mobile 130kg+ center with a 7"6' wingspan.

Reply #482941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surprised about Ogilvy too

Reply #482943 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not surprised about Ogilvy, he is too inconsistent and at times plain soft, but am surprised Brandt was picked ahead of Nevill.

Great effort by Lucas Walker to make the squad. His strengths are the one weakness in the squad and they are something Lemanis covets, so good on him for working bloody hard to make the squad.

Reply #482944 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I was skeptical of Walker at first too, but he did have an awesome Sino-Aus challenge series: his athleticism is uncharacteristic of our Boomers squad.

To make the final squad he's likely got to edge out Motum, Worthington, Broekhoff and Simmons, but if his form keeps I'm not counting him out just yet.

Reply #482946 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah he's a darkhorse, but good luck to him. From SEABL a few years ago to the Sino squad to the main squad. Certainly he's mobility, athleticism and defence gives him a chance, even if he's an underdog.

Reply #482947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would expect Delly, Exum, Baynes, Ingles, Bairstow, Newly and Andersen to be locks. So the other 5 spots would be a head to head battle.

3rd PG - Damian Martin Vs Adam Gibson. I would go Marto for the defence he brings and an improved shot last season.

Shooter - Chris Goulding Vs Ryan Broekhoff. I would like it if they took both of these guys but really paling the same role. I would say Goulding at this stage.

Big - Nate Jawai Vs Angus Brandt. Brandt was really a back up in the Sino series. I think Jawai has to go.

Stretch 4 - Brock Motum Vs Mark Worthington. I liked Motum in the Sino series and is a bigger body than worth.

Athletic Forward - Ben Simmons Vs Lucas Walker. Walker played well in the Sino series when Lemanis went full court press, but I think for the experience and upside I would take Simmons.

PG - Delly / Exum / Martin
SG - Newly / Goulding
SF - Ingles / Simmons
PF - Bairstow / Motum
C - Baynes / Andersen / Jawai

If they decide to look to the future I would go smaller and replace Andersen with Broekhoff, but I can't really see Brandt, Worthington or Walker making the team.

Reply #482949 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

I can't really see Brandt, Worthington or Walker making the team.

Me either but stranger things have happened.

Reply #482953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Nevill?! Bad idea.

Reply #482959 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Our only seven footer (Andersen) will hit more threes than blocks but Baynes and Jawai are a solid pairing at centre

Reply #482964 | Report this post

Our game  
Years ago

Anyone know if Thon Maker was invited?

Reply #482967 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

One established player with a question mark next to him is Newley.. He might get his spot stolen to Goulding or Broekhoff if he doesn't bring it in camp. Worthos chances wouldn;t be that great now either.

Reply #482968 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

without mills we look weak from outside 3 point land as well.

sure goulding and ingles can go on runs from 3 point land but they arnt the marksmen ild like to have in the squad.

what happened to anatoly bose?

Reply #482970 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Newley had a very solid year in Spain this season, especially on defense so I think that'll be enough for him to get a gig...

Baynes and Jawai will have to make sure they don't get in foul trouble or we could quickly become exposed..

Reply #482976 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Phil.. the weakness outside would be why I think Broekhoff will make it through.

Reply #482980 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

i have to say watching the summer league and past nba season we are going to be well served at pf for a while.

baynes, bairstow , motum have all impressed me. anything we can get from jawai would be a bonus.

i think all those players can compete very well against international competition.

we do have a real weakness at international level centres though. bogut then huge huge gap. hopefully the next young guys come up well but its a definite need.

Reply #482981 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

yeah ive never seen broekhoff play. what is he like?

we really need more centres (in particular rim protectors)

and outside shooting.

im confident that ingles and goulding can go on runs but i love the money guys from outside that draw defenders out.

im really surprised oz doesnt have a lot of great shooters to be honest.

sure we cannot always compete with usa athletic wise, but there is nothing stopping us from being a great shooting nation though

Reply #482982 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Baynes and Jawai are both centres. I don't think either could play more than spot minutes at PF at international level.

And there is no way Newley isn't being picked with us playing on the Canary Islands! Aside from that he will thrive under Lemanis.

Reply #482984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No ogilvy was a bad choice. He's the best rebounder and shot blocker besides bogut we had.

Delly/ exum(offence)/martin(defence)
Ingles/Goulding
Simmons/Newley
Bairstow/Anderson/motum
Baynes/jawai

Exum to play Sg also
Ingles to play Sf also
Simmons to play Pf also
Anderson to play C also

Reply #482992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG: Delly - Exum - Martin
SG: Goulding - Newley
SF: Ingles - Broeknoff
PF: Bairstow - Motum - Simmons
C: Baynes - Anderson

You guys should use your lack of size to your advantage and play small(ish). At international level Simmons should already have the body to play PF and will help stretch the floor. Even though Bairstow starts in my lineup at PF, I expect him to shift over to centre for most of the game (in my mind both Motum and Simmons are superior to Anderson). Jawai was dropped mainly due to that fact I envision this team to play an uptempo brand of basketball.

Reply #483000 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Nice breakdown from Anon #482949. Agree with nearly all of that but have a few comments:

1) I would like to see an extra shooter in there, so I'd probably take Broekhoff ahead of Simmons, who I think is probably a year or two away from really contributing at Boomers level.

2) Unless Newley's shooting has improved I would bring him off the bench behind Ingles and start Goulding or Broekhoff, whichever seems the most reliable shooter.

3) I'd prefer to see Baynes paired with Motum and Andersen paired with Bairstow. That would ensure one of our two bigs can always stretch the floor. I think Lemanis might need to mix and match our starting bigs according to our opponents, rather than locking in starters.

4) Depending on how well Exum is going at the World Cup, I would love to see a small ball lineup at times of Exum; Goulding; Newley or Broekhoff; Ingles; Jawai or Baynes. Spread the floor and let Exum play pick n roll with Baynes or Jawai! I think a lot of teams would struggle to contain our offence if Exum plays with confidence. And with the length we'd have on the floor, I think we could be quite disruptive defensively

Reply #483009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you put Simmons at PF, you take half his skills away. He can shoot, he can get to the basket, has post moves and is also a good transitional player and defender. You cant see him banging bodies with love, griffin or faried. He would be better off facing durant/parsons/korver/derozan/george/harden/thompson
Even in rio he should remain a SF as we will most likely have Maker and bairstow at the PF spot.

Simmons over newley and ingles playing the sg spot ahead of goulding gives us better overall size and a better defensive team. (delly, ingles, simmons, bairstow, baynes.)

Delly easily the best PG we have. Exum shows heaps of pomise but still so young and his gas tank is a bit of a worry, overall a good secondary backup. martins a great guy to have to put pressure on the guards like curry and lillard, also brings alot of hustle. Delly starts at PG.

Goulding is primarily a 3 point and spot up shooter. Ingles beats him in every category bar maybe quickness and fg%. Ingles starts at SG.

Newley is primarily a get to the basket type of guy. Simmons is much more crafty, a better defender, passer and shooter, not to mention has better handles and gives us another rebounding and block shot option. Simmons starts at SF.

Bairstow and Anderson pretty interchangeable.
Both have a mid range game, Bairstow has the bigger body, anderson has the height. Motum is a good energy guy to bring off the bench when times are tough. Bairstow to start at PF.

Baynes and Jawai are both big bodies, baynes probably a better offensive option, jawai defense but baynes by far has the bigger gas tank, also better at running the floor. Anderson can be used as centre during games with country's who have small lineups. Baynes to start at C.

Reply #483029 | Report this post

Our Game  
Years ago

'Even in rio he should remain a SF as we will most likely have Maker and bairstow at the PF spot.'

Thon's not listed in the extended squad, is he?

Reply #483033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker will play in Rio. If he doesn't, Basketball Australia should just give up.

Really good team. Everyone who i wanted to be on the team is there. If Brandt, Walker or Worthington make the team i'll be very disappointed as they're not really good enough. I don't even really want Gibson or Martin on the team tbh though.

My Team -

Baynes/Jawai
Bairstow/Anderson
Ingles/Simmons
Goulding/Newley
Dellavadova/Exum

With Motum and Broekhoff getting the last two spots.

Reply #483041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I should rephrase - Everyone except Maker.

Reply #483042 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I think it's a 13 man race for 12 spots with Brandt,Gibson,Walker and Worthington making up the numbers.

Reply #483046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont know why Goulding is being put in the starting SG position. You just have to watch the summer league to know he isnt capable of doing what he did in the nbl.

Reply #483047 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Anonymous^ that is the stupidest thing I have heard for a while. Summerleague is a low scoring tourny where everyone is looking for their own shots and you only get a few games with that particular team. Its not like hes thrown up many shots, and for them to keep making him a starter he obviously is doing something right.

Reply #483051 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Its simple: we need a guy who can SHOOT playing shooting guard! With Mills out and Ingles and Newley shooting poorly at past major tournaments, many of us are hoping Goulding can step up to the plate. He's not a perfect option by any means, but many people think he is likely the best option right now.

Reply #483053 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Funny thing with the Boomers guards is they are capable shooters but they just aren't consistent over long periods. If for some reason one or two of them get in the flow then we might not have a real 3 point issue... Newley CAN hit them, as can Ingles and Goulding/Broekhoff... Newley I think holds the record for 3 pointers hit in Greece or something doesn't he?

Reply #483054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guy is talented and he may have impressed during training. But, without standing out so far during the tournament and with good minutes, itll be tough to gain a roster spot. I think his name has only been mentioned 5-6 times during the commentary over the 3 games so far which is a bad sign. It hasnt helped that mekel has held on to the ball alot.

goulding vs new york
M:32.12 FGM-A: 2-8 +/-:-19 RB-0 AST-0 STL-0 TO-2 PF-4 PTS-6
goulding vs minnesota
M:15.37 FGM-A: 2-3 +/-:+15 RB-2 AST-1 STL-0 TO-2 PF-2 PTS-6
goulding vs toronto
M:22.53 FGM-A: 3-5 +/-:+17 RB-2 AST-1 STL-2 TO-3 PF-1 PTS-9

Reply #483057 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The correlation between international basketball and NBA Summer League is close to zero! One is probably the most team orientated hoops on the planet and the other is close to the most individual.

Reply #483061 | Report this post

Years ago

Not sure who I wouldn't have in but, even though he wouldn’t play big minutes, Neville could be an oversight as he showed he could stretch a beast out of the paint to open up the key for our minus-Mills arsenal. D, Benny plus Ingles are not reliable outside. Maybe I haven’t seen enough of the others in recent times and deep down think Baynes doesn’t have that outside mentality yet. Anderson is a proven campaigner who’d be great in the 4.

Who would you select to take/make a 3 when the refs put their whistles away? I see Goulding as the only player who’d want to take 'the’ shot with GazeHeal type confidence and be able to create it.

While I love Benny’s ability, I’d have to see him in camp against seasoned men as this isn’t US High School or College level and we all know how physical, smart & grinding the EURO teams are. He’d have to have improved his 3 to make it in my team now. Don’t see even a token HS or college player in the USA squad. Schencher didn’t make it when he did well in the Boomer camps after his solid NCAA campaign.

Same goes for Maker, certainly skilled but let’s see how he develops physically before pinning early hopes on him. Keep in mind he’s playing against kids & is probably 19 or older?? How many Sudanese bodies do you see in the NBA? Will he eventually put some NBA muscle on that frame? My guess is, when they are all ‘men’, he won’t have as solid a build as D or Benny - No doubt he’s very skilled & they’ll never be as tall!

International Tournaments are a tough gig. The good thing is even with a few out there are enough contenders to be discussing selections down to 12. Hope the Boomers can place well enough to keep BA in business so the future can arrive.

Reply #483065 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

I would of selected Kyrie

Reply #483071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Goulding been exposed a bit in summer league due to the strength an quickness of the guys he up against - same will happen at world champs level
Broekhoff is bigger and stronger and a similar 3 point ability - so he gets my nod

Goulding should get another chance next year - prob needs to play a season in Europe somewhere that's a step up from nbl

Reply #483077 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Anonymous have you watched Gouldings games at Summer league to say that for sure?

Reply #483079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"While I love Benny's ability, I’d have to see him in camp against seasoned men as this isn’t US High School or College level and we all know how physical, smart & grinding the EURO teams are. He’d have to have improved his 3 to make it in my team now. Don’t see even a token HS or college player in the USA squad. Schencher didn’t make it when he did well in the Boomer camps after his solid NCAA campaign. "

Simmons is 6'10 and 230 pounds. He's put on quite a bit of muscle recently. He'll handle himself fine. I'd be more worried about the European players going up against him haha. In terms of pure skill, he's the best forward we have. He just hasn't had enough experience. This is a perfect scenario for him. We have no chance at medaling now so it's a good chance to give the young ones some experience..

"Same goes for Maker, certainly skilled but let’s see how he develops physically before pinning early hopes on him. Keep in mind he’s playing against kids & is probably 19 or older?? How many Sudanese bodies do you see in the NBA? Will he eventually put some NBA muscle on that frame? My guess is, when they are all 'men’, he won’t have as solid a build as D or Benny - No doubt he’s very skilled & they’ll never be as tall!"

Maker could be used as a stretch 4. He's painfully thin but that length and mobility is just too good to pass over.

Reply #483088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He'll handle himself fine. I'd be more worried about the European players going up against him haha."

Stop it.

Reply #483089 | Report this post

djmojofosho  
Years ago

I maybe the only person in Australia who thinks this but I reckon Simmons deserves big minutes for the boomers and wouldn't be surprised if he had a break out tournament. Also I hope Big Nate isn't too out of shape. When he was playing for cairns years ago he was awesome and world class.

Reply #483092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Stop it"

I'm just saying with his current physique he won't get physically bullied by the European players.

"I maybe the only person in Australia who thinks this but I reckon Simmons deserves big minutes for the boomers and wouldn't be surprised if he had a break out tournament. Also I hope Big Nate isn't too out of shape. When he was playing for cairns years ago he was awesome and world class."

His skill set for his size is amazing. I said it before but in terms of pure talent he's the best forward we have. I wouldn't mind him getting decent minutes. I'm guessing the Delly/Goulding nut huggers who think that Simmons and Exum shouldn't even be on the team and want the squad to be full of NBL players might though.

Reply #483096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure it's ONLY SBL, but this from a couple of weeks ago...

Kalamunda enjoyed their second win of the weekend in a 118-103 home win over Cockburn on the back of Luke Nevill's mammoth night out. The former NBL big man netted 48 points on 18-of-26 shooting, including 5-of-7 from deep, to go with 22 rebounds, 4 assists and 3 blocks in arguably the best performance of the season league-wide.

Reply #483100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, simmons should start at SF. I also think his more solid than exum.

Reply #483101 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Sure he is only 18 but at 6'10" and 235 pounds but Simmons deserves a spot on final team surely we won't have to watch Worthington go around again.

Reply #483102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His good enough to play against lebron...

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/p/50947668/Ben-Simmons-vs-Lebron.aspx

Reply #483103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG. Delly, Exum, Martin
SG. Newley, Goulding
SF. Ingles, Simmons
PF. Anderson, Bairstow, Motum
C.Baynes, Jawai

Olympics full strength

PG. Exum, Delly, Martin
SG. Mills, Goulding
SF. Ingles, Simmons, Broekhoff
PF. Bairstow, Motum
C. Bogut, Baynes

Reply #483105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The starting lineup should be based on the team were going to play.

Slovenia (medium-large size squad)- someone has to stop dragic, who should guard him? a good job for martin?
(Delly, Martin, Ingles, Anderson, Baynes)

Korea (small-medium size squad)- anyone is good choice really.
(Exum, Goulding, Newley, Bairstow, Baynes)

Lithuania (large size sqaud)- A big bodied team required.
(Delly, Ingles, Simmons, Bairstow, Jawai.)

Mexico (medium size sqaud)- quick transition to exploit there poor defense.
(Exum, Goulding, Newley, Simmons, Baynes)

Angola (medium size squad)- a team that requires great ball movement.
(Delly, Ingles, Simmons, Motum, Anderson.)

Reply #483106 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Greenwood will figure in the mix for Rio and Simmons could even take starting spot by then.

Reply #483108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greenwood, I dont think will make it to rio because you will have exum and delly as the primary 2 point guards. Mills will be pulled from the SG spot to be the number 3 PG if required which opens up another place on the roster for other positions.

Reply #483110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"someone has to stop dragic, who should guard him?"

delly & exum will guard Dragic (as he is too tall and skilled for martin, plus I don't think martin will make the team)

Reply #483115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"someone has to stop dragic, who should guard him?"

delly & exum will guard Dragic (as he is too tall and skilled for martin, plus I don't think martin will make the team)

Reply #483116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin is a much better defender than Exum.

Reply #483117 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Greenwood will figure in the mix for Rio "

He has a long way to go IMO.

I believe he is in the same kind of band/level as Norton, Cadee, Tomlinson.

Reply #483124 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree. And that's no shame, those three are good young players.

Reply #483128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dragic (Phx) isn't playing. I believe he may have a brother.

Reply #483135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really hope that Basketball Australia utilise all the talent we have coming through in future years. I mean we could potentially have lineups of

C - Bogut/Baynes/Jawai/Humphries
PF - Maker/Bairstow/Motum
Sf - Simmons/Bolden/Ingles
SG - Mills/Adel/Goulding
PG - Exum/Dellavadova

And not to mention guys like McVeigh, Mathiang etc.

If a team like this doesn't win at least bronze, we never will.

I really hope that all of these players are included in future teams. I really don't want players playing for the Boomers that shouldn't be. The time of giving NBL scrubs a go is coming to an end.

Reply #483272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After the Olympics? ( currently 25 and under )

PG - exum / dellavedova
SG - mills / adel / mcveigh
SF - simmons / bolden
PF - t.maker / Bairstow / m.maker
C - humphries / mathiang

Other possibles:
Greenwood, drmic, broekhoff , motum and maybe a few kids coming up the ranks.

Reply #483283 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Goran Dragic announced a few weeks ago he was playing in the WC, and as far as I know his brother Zoran is too. Their sister Loran is unavailable I believe...

Reply #483288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"After the Olympics? ( currently 25 and under )

PG - exum / dellavedova
SG - mills / adel / mcveigh
SF - simmons / bolden
PF - t.maker / Bairstow / m.maker
C - humphries / mathiang

Other possibles:
Greenwood, drmic, broekhoff , motum and maybe a few kids coming up the ranks."

I agree with this. This should be our future team. Hopefully the powers that be also see it that way aswell. This would be the most athletic and skilled team we've ever had. And possibly the first with all NBA players (not too sure about McVeigh though).

Reply #483289 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

And Agupi Dragic will be helping out in the family fruit shop.

Reply #483318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The more i think about it, the more i'm content with this team, even with out Mills and Bogut. Despite missing out on our two most important players, this team still has a lot of talent. If we can maintain good chemistry and play efficiently we should do pretty well.

Reply #483321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C - Maker/Baynes/Humphries
PF - Bairstow/Motum
Sf - Simmons/Bolden
SG - Mills/Goulding
PG - Exum/Dellavadova

Welcome to the future!

Reply #483349 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yep - both Dragic brothers are playing at the WC's:

2014 FIBA World Cup: Group D Preview - Slovenia

Reply #483380 | Report this post

Our Game  
Years ago

Anyone even herd a whisper about why there's no mention of Thon Maker in the extended squad?

Remember reading that he had a sit down with Andrej Lemanis earlier this year, would have assumed that it was in relation to the World Champs.

Reply #483409 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think that was about playing in the U19 WCs next year wasn't it?

Reply #483421 | Report this post

Our Game  
Years ago

Yea think your right as he spoke with the younger brother at that time too.

Although, if Ben Simmons is named you'd think Thon would have also been given the same opportunity.

Reply #483425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you should throw Maker the 12th jersey. That will lock him in to play for the boomers in the future/his prime, and realistically what are you losing? How much impact does the 12th player REALLY have on a world championship? Would have liked to see that

Reply #483426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if Goulding will be available now who after his performance today for Dallas will almost certainly get a training camp invite.

Reply #483427 | Report this post

reiuvsdljkn.  
Years ago

Thon Maker isn't old enough to be in the squad.

Reply #483429 | Report this post

Our Game  
Years ago

"Thon Maker isn't old enough to be in the squad."

If that's the case it's unfortunate as Ben's only around 10 months older from memory.

These guys could have played some entertaining uptempo small ball against Korea or mexico.

Exum
Simmons
Maker
Goulding
Ingles

Reply #483433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You realise Mexico won the 2013 FIBA Americas Championship, beating Argentina and Puerto Rico on the way? They would hammer that lineup you posted.

Reply #483435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a little surprised Markovic isn't in the extended squad. With Dellavedova, Exum and Goulding the guards, we need another good ball-handler in the squad, as both Exum and Goulding don't have the tightest of handles.

With Mills out, you'd have to assume Gibson or Martin will come in, but Markovic compares pretty favourably I think.

A quick comparison of each players' stats this past NBL season:

PPG FG% 3P% AST TO
Gibson 12.2 47.8 38.3 4.8 1.8
Martin 7.6 44.4 42.1 4.1 1.3
Markovic 13.4 45.2 40.9 4.6 2.1

I understand stats don't tell the whole story, especially with Martin. But Markovic is reliable from the perimeter, a good decision maker, and whilst he lacks the defensive intensity of Martin, he has a lot of international experience.

The concern for the team after losing Mills is what happens in situations where the offensive sets don't work and the offense stagnates.

These stats I got from http://crunchtimeshots.com/2014/06/11/3p-shooting-percentages-with-and-without-a-dribble/ on 3P% off the dribble (pick and roll plays, isolation plays etc.) versus without a dribble (catch and shoot) were interesting:

3P%: Off dribble No dribble
Gibson 18.8% 42.5%
Markovic 33.9% 45.6%

Obviously there's too small a sample size of Martin shooting off the dribble to rate a mention, which isn't a surprise as it isn't really in his skill-set.

Anyone else surprised Markovic was left out given the circumstances (no Mills)? (Unless of course he retired from international basketball without me knowing)?

Reply #483455 | Report this post

Our game  
Years ago

"You realise Mexico won the 2013 FIBA Americas Championship, beating Argentina and Puerto Rico on the way? They would hammer that lineup you posted."

The guys I mentioned will be the ones doing the hammering at the next couple of Olympics while in their primes with the chemistry established in earlier tournaments such as this!

Reply #483456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think that was about playing in the U19 WCs next year wasn't it?"

Yeah, he wants Maker to play in some junior tournaments. Maker wanted to play in the under 17's for Australia but the preparation had already begun for the tournament and he didn't want to come into the team half way through.

They'll put him in the under 19's before putting him in the men's team. Simmons and Exum have already played in the junior teams and the men's team so they're accustomed to it all but Maker wouldn't be so they're easing him into it. I wouldn't fret about him not being in the Men's team for this WC.

"You realise Mexico won the 2013 FIBA Americas Championship, beating Argentina and Puerto Rico on the way? They would hammer that lineup you posted."

I highly doubt they'd 'hammer' that lineup.

Reply #483462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People who are including Exum, Maker and Simmons in the team are crazy. I mean, obviously we need guys who average five points a game in the NBL.

Reply #483537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really hope Motum makes the team. He's been quite impressive during the Summer League. In fact i doubt that he doesn't get a contract.

Reply #483585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also our under 19 team could potentially have

C - Humphries/Matur Maker
Pf - Thon Maker
Sf - Ben Simmons/Jack McVeigh
Sg - Deng Adel
not too sure on the point guard.

Reply #483599 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:47 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754