Baller#3
Years ago

Country basketball concept

Had a thought the other day about the lack of country basketball after junior level after reading a post on here the other day and made me think of a little country basketball league that could be run over summer. Just want some feedback I guess:

It would be played in 2 stages, division pool stage and then into championship pool stage. 3 divisions might be central, east and west. West would be your whyallas Lincolns, Central would be Yorkes, gawlers and so on.

I will just say that the 3 divisions have 4 teams for a total of 12. The divisional round is to cut down on travel times for teams, each team plays each other twice, home and away. The top of this pool after 6 rounds is the division champ.

The championship pool sees the 3 divisional champions face each other twice, home and away and after 4 rounds an overall country champion is crowned.

This would be played in summer obviously divisional games late October to early December, championship games to be played late January and feb.

As footy is huge in the country it gives them something to do in the off season and doesn't clash with any part of the season which is a plus.

Obviously a lot more detail is needed but as a raw idea I think it could work and revive the country scene a little

Topic #34937 | Report this topic

Years ago

Yep, I have been thinking of a BSA-type 'Invitation tournament' over summer where, say, the top team from each country league,with maybe a guest player,and the 10 Adelaide district clubs without imports, plus maybe the 3 main universities,and, say, Mildura, Mt Gambier, Hamilton et al, play a series over several weekends, maybe not all in Adelaide.

What do you think?

Reply #483705 | Report this post

Years ago

I also left out Church,some Rec Centres,Western Magic, and other city clubs who may be interested...

Reply #483706 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

That's what senior Country champs are for. You'll find a lot of country players still play district, even at senior level, so there would be a conflict.

Reply #483728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are also forgetting the numerous Association carnivals held during the summer. Port Pirie, Port Augusta, Murray Bridge, Millicent, Mount Gambier just to name a few as well as the Junior Country Championships held in March. A pretty full calendar already. Not much room for anything else when you also have Country Cup trials and training week-ends.

Reply #483744 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:26 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754