Krak on
Years ago

The Spanking at Marion

what happened to sturt on saturday, they totally got outplayed, how can a team of such stars get beaten. is it over confidence or bad coaching. thats twice that they have got spanked. it is a real head turner "how did you guys go tonight?"

Topic #3494 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

They started well and I think that they were playing better than South up until half time. South just made some long baskets that I thought were unlikely.

But after that it was a different story. Poor defense, change in team chemistry with players returning, didn't react well to the style of game, and shots just not falling from outside. Not good to watch, whatever it was. Up until half-time it was a very entertaining and even game though -- shame that it didn't continue like that!

Reply #40318 | Report this post

red dog  
Years ago

no point having oscar and darren out there until they are so ragged that their shots go off and not using enough players is part of the problem. i know injury and return from injury is a factor but i would prefer to have someone fresh and keen out there than s player who is good but stuffed. south has depth on bench and an even team who got fired up and were not stoppable while their heads were up and shots dropping. a danger team??? they did it well with some good all round contributions and some big individual efforts.

Reply #40342 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

Red Dog, I actually think that in this game, the addition of Gower, Bauer (P) & James-Martin actually hurt Sturt on Saturday.
Bauer (M), Hakendorf & Finkemeyer didn't seem to play to levels they had in recent weeks, when the others were out injured. They appeared to defer to the returning players, rather than doing their own thing.

Reply #40348 | Report this post

D. Brent  
Years ago

sturt were worried about this game even before the tip off, bringing back players that had been out in previous weeks. you can think up as many excuses as you want to but the fact is sturt were outplayed, out hustled and castle was out coached. he relied too heavily on his big guns who were not firing, except for ng, and didn't give the others who have been filling the gaps in previous weeks enough opportunity. whether some of their players were underdone is no excuse either, if you suit up you are, in my opinion, ready to play. souths depth and team play exposed sturt on saturday night and raised a few issues about their style of play, front runners?? individuals?? it was a great game to watch from a south's supporters view point, any other thoughts? how many have sturt lost in a row now?

Reply #40356 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree that they were outplayed, but I think the assertion that they brought back players because they were worried about the game would be a bit forced. They brought back Gower and Bauer because they had recovered from their injuries. They would've come back from injury no matter who Sturt were playing, right?

Your other points are well made though.

Three straight losses, including two at home. All by more than 10 points.

When South are playing like that, they are an impressive group.

Reply #40362 | Report this post

D. Brent  
Years ago

fair enough i just heard a few people saying that gower and bauer were still underdone thats all, maybe it was just a few suppoerters who didn't really know what they were talking about making excuses. do you think they can bounce back isaac?

Reply #40377 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I would think that they will bounce back once the chemistry is there again. They need to get used to having these guys back in the team again.

Reply #40378 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They pulled up fine after training and felt OK the next day, so I think they were ready. I asked Castle specifically, so that's direct info.

I think they can bounce back (well, I hope so) and still like their chances from here. Gower did look exhausted when he subbed out towards the end, so the time off may have impacted his stamina. Hackendorf played only 18 minutes or something like that. I think Saturday night was about as bad as that team can play.

If South get a home-court advantage going into the finals, that will be dangerous. I really like those older courts if only because you get a better atmosphere in the smaller space.

Reply #40382 | Report this post

D. Brent  
Years ago

yeah thats true, they might of been lacking a bit of match practice but i still think the pressure south put on them caused their uncharacteristic style of play. i agree with you about the old stadiums too, there doesn't have to be many spectators there( which is unfortunately the case with our local league) to create a good atsmosphere, especially at marion.

Reply #40385 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:15 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754