LC
Years ago

Motum accepts invitation to Jazz training camp

Aussie Brock Motum impressed in NBA Summerleague with the Jazz and has subsequently been invited to, and accepted, and invitation to Utah's pre-season camp.

What this means for his Boomers chances at the World Cup I am not too sure at this stage.

NBA Summer League 2014: Brock Motum hooks on with Utah Jazz

Topic #34950 | Report this topic

Beantown  
Years ago

A couple of years ago it looks like Jazz training camp started beginning of Oct so shouldn't impact Motum's availability for World Cup.

Well deserved IMO. The more I see of Motum the more impressed I am with his smart offensive play. He found a way to make an impact in every game and showed more hustle on D than I had previously seen.

Reply #483887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would of been very surprised if he didn't get an invite. He played really well and deserves it.

Reply #483898 | Report this post

D  
Years ago

Jazz coaches talked to media on Friday like he would be part of worlds. Agreed that his form was good in summer league, unlike exum, he was pro ready physically to play I thought, jazz coaches said he fit well with their offence. Obviously exum is just 19, motum has been around - interesting though, he didn't show much form in the recent debacle of a series against China. Good at times, but went missing a bit. Will be interesting to see how he goes against solid world champs competition. I think he'll struggle to score against bigger athletic players

Reply #483939 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Really very happy for Brock with this invite... The likelihood of making the team is probably not good, but he gave everything he had in summer league and definitely put his best foot forward, I hope he does well... A solid World Cup showing wouldn't be bad for him, either...

As for training camp timings, I remember when we went through all this with Delly last season that it felt like forever between summer league and training camp until he got the nod for his signing... Am sure he will be able to squeeze in World Cup...

As for his Sino form, I don't think Andre was using anyone particularly well in that series, just trying to see what players could do... with a bit more structure I think he'll do fine...

Reply #483957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder how he fits into our depth chart for the four at the worlds

Will it be

Bairstow/Anderson/Motum, Anderson/Bairstow/Motum or Bairstow/Motum/Anderson. I like Anderson's mid range jumper but Bairstow's is as good (if not better) and brings way more to the table which kind of makes Anderson redundant.

Reply #483958 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

David Andersen shot 47% from 3p last season, I think it will be a long time before that kind of shooting from a 6'11 guy is redundant!

Reply #483962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope he can make the team, but his chances are small given Utah's recent signing's. Also did Malcom Thomas outplay him in Vegas? Brock can play between 4 and 5 which might put him ahead of Thomas, but if both going for just the 4 man spot, I think Thomas played better. Although Brock did outplay Eric Murphy.

Utah's depth chart at the moment is:

PF - Favors / Booker / Novak / Evans (who can play 3 also)
C - Kanter / Golbert / ??? - Maybe Brock.

I would assume only 1 big man spot is left and I hope Brock would make it. have to wonder if Utah front office also thinks having a second Aussie on the roster would help Dante acclimatise to USA and have Brock as a low risk investment as the 6th big who would help the team locker room.

Reply #483974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most NBA training camps usually start around mid-September.

Reply #484000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"David Andersen shot 47% from 3p last season, I think it will be a long time before that kind of shooting from a 6'11 guy is redundant!"

Didn't realise that. That's pretty impressive. Having two 6'9-6'11 guys that can shoot is pretty handy.

Reply #484014 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Novak is in no way a Power Forward.
He is purely a 3pt SF.
Evans hasn't put on enough weightstrength to guard PF in the NBA. Can't see him getting signed past his current contract.
So Utah could use a 3rd string PFC

Reply #484069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Motum's extra benefit to a utah roster is that whilst being a 4 he can also play the 3 spot (due to his shooting) rather than playing at the 5. I watched most of his summer league efforts and was very impressed with his hustle and scoring.

Andersen (212cms) will be the tallest player on our roster at the WC, we will need his height as well as his great shooting, not to mention all the experience he has gained. A great player in my book.

I wish them both great success

Reply #484080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Utah have Hayward and Hood at the 3 with Evans or Novak as the 3rd/4th option.

Motum can't guard the NBA 3 man and in summer league his outside shit sucked. Thomas played much better than him if looking for a combo forward.

I would say his best chance is like the Baynes role switching between PF and C if any chance to make Utah roster

Reply #484085 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

No way Motum can play the 3 at the NBA level (or any International/high level league).

His lateral speed defensively simply isn't good enough to defend the SF position.

It would do him good to bulk up a little bit and add some muscle (whilst still retaining that mobility)

Reply #484098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Motum is waaaaay to slow and unathletic to be an NBA 3. He's a 4 through and through.

Reply #484255 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Motum's cause may be helped by the deal the Jazz made today with Cleveland. The Jazz essentially dealt Motum's competition for that roster spot, Murphy and Thomas. Hopefully a positive sign for Brock!

Reply #484315 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Motum adds shooting and floor spacing at the four so with gobert/Kanter/Favours he could be the 4th/5th big in the rotation to give them a differnt look if they go small and look for more floor spacing at the 4 spot.

It will open up lanes for Exum/Burke/Burks

Finger crossed he shoots it well and boards hard at training camp

Reply #484367 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:49 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754