Benno
Years ago

Confirmed: Sydney Kings sign import PG Kendrick Perry

@IAmDPick
Magic SL guard Kendrick Perry has finalized a rookie deal with Australian club Sydney Kings, according to source.

Topic #34967 | Report this topic

Benno  
Years ago

5'11 with 6'6 wingspan. Averaged 22.1 at 50% as a senior at Youngstown State.

Reply #484242 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPigEsE32Q8

Reply #484244 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

He's 5'11.75" without shoes so 6'1" with shoes, which is how they officially measure players in the pros.

Looks like an explosive leaper for sure.

Reply #484256 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Gotta love a two-foot jumper

Reply #484257 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

He looks about 17 so it would be interesting to see how he deals with the physicality out here.Be a good first gig for him and Cotter will have done his homework.

Reply #484261 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Interesting signing that was in NBA SL but barely played.

Reply #484276 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Apparently the gun has been jumped on twitter for now...

But still, looks like a great jumper, a LONNNNG highlights video, but looks to not be averse to passing (20+ppg as a PG usually screams "not a PG!" to me) and looking at his very few Summer League minutes, doesn't mind attacking the rim and at least didn't look Corin Henry'ish size wise...

If he does indeed get signed, probably an ok get if he doesn't turn into a shoot first PG... Wouldn't be a top price player I would imagine, so still a top level import to come *crosses fingers*

Reply #484285 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Jeeebus!! Who makes a 65 minute highlight tape? Kid's obviously decent on the tape, could help the team cut film after hours!

Only time will tell, but I hope he goes alright.

Reply #484322 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NBL have now confirmed this signing on Twitter.

Reply #484362 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Full announcement:
http://www.sydneykings.com/article/id/1lr6w5y4ghutu1nplvhfebq7nw

Reply #484369 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see how he copes with Jackson & his length.

Reply #484378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most imports that come direct from college have teething issues and most often don't last the year or are cut after year one.. Risky move by the kings, I would of thought they need more of a veteran import who can deal with expectation and pressure.

Reply #484379 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Chris Williams, Ebi Ere did ok straight from college for the Kings. James Ennis last year for Perth too.

There have been some imports who have struggled no matter how you select them, i wouldnt rule out a guy just because he is straight from college.

His college resume looks solid enough, will be interesting to see how he goes, but dont rule him out before seeing him play is my advice.

Reply #484380 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

A whole league of PGs choked on their corn flakes the other morning when they got news Cedric is back tbh.

Reply #484381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly that's why I said most.. I'm not saying that a handful didn't work out. Just saying it's often more a risk to sign a player directly from college

Reply #484384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason why a lot of teams go for guys right out of college is because they're cheaper.

Reply #484400 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think everyone wants to know the important question, if Madgen has knocked down his last 2 3's... Does this kid get the ball in Madgen's hands or look for his own shot on the next possession?

Best of luck to him

Reply #484437 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Ty McKee, Rotnei Clarke, James Ennis, Doug Overton, Ebi Ere, Chris Williams. Some of the best imports this league has seen have come straight from college.

It's a two-edged sword. The upside is our league can actually get some really high-quality guys straight out of college, once they've been around a few years their price is too high.

The downside is some may not be pro ready or may not be players who can translate a good college career into a pro career.

Which one Perry is, or somewhere in between, remains to be seen.

Reply #484438 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Ricky Grace too.

Reply #484441 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

All very good questions, but it's really a wait and see game... his extended highlights look like he has an overall game but Corin started off facilitating and then got more shoot-first during the season, so they could start off good & turn bad, or start off ordinary, nearly get cut but turn into Kevin Lisch...

Reply #484446 | Report this post

phillip  
Years ago

What happebed to the white christiqn pg? Forget his name, was ok for kings last year..any other nbl teams eying him off?

Reply #484451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First yr college import is hit or miss, luck of the draw. For every chris Williams Ebi Ere Ricky Grace there is a one and done flavour of the month guy like Johnson from the Breakers last yr or Corin Henry or Carmouche or Sanders- theyre not bad but not great either. The fresh out of college athletic american pg has been done to death, to mixed reviews much rather they got Damian Martin. The revolving doors of imports continue and fans can't get attached to them cause they're gone next season. One of many problems with basketball in Australia. In the 90s you knew what you were getting. The DMacs, Ruckers, Graces Heals Gazes Mclains. Gone are these genuine stars of the game, now it's like fools gold.
Am I expected to believe that Madgen and Garlepp can lead me to the promised land. They will just be out there and we are tricked into believing they are good players but if you know the game well enough and the history of the Kings well enough, those guys along with White, Ellis and whoever else they have signed are well below par for a team representing Sydney. Even if you bring back Sam young, it turns into the Sam show which can be great at times but can also be frustrating. The off season, along with last season has turned me into a cynical fan. I have a long history as a supporter but some of managements decisions baffle me and I think the overall standard of play is well down. Frustrating times as a fan of the game but the Kings do themselves no favours on and off the court unfortunately. 3 seasons from the rebirth you would think the kings are headed in the right direction but they are going backwards and it is getting a little embarrassing. They're facebook page is pure amateur hour. You have a budget vegemite as your main sponsor and they pretty much have an online meat tray raffle lol.

Reply #484759 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

And Daniel Joyce.
Can anyone confirm?

Reply #485876 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

It is confirmed.

Reply #487668 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:02 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754