I
Years ago

would this work for a CABL night.

ok - something different here.

not every week - but maybe once ? a season a CABL game is played on a home Div 1 junior night as well.

I know with the average family weekend - playing Friday night and training sunday - as much as they would like to, getting to CABL is awkward with what little time is left for the weekend.

Bars / meals would make heaps if advertised correctly - and would allow a broad spectrum of juniors to see their clubs ABL stars - these juniors may never get taken by folks to an ABL game.

Would make an awesome nights entertainment and fill the stadium.

Or the juniors play an odd saturday night when CABL is on....

Topic #34990 | Report this topic

I  
Years ago

you could have a team A v team B CABL game on court 1 (women then men - usual tip off time) and div 1 games on the other 2 courts between the same clubs

Reply #484782 | Report this post

I  
Years ago

maybe the rivalry round ? - really get it going

Reply #484784 | Report this post

brown82  
Years ago

The big issue at the moment is that clubs are losing a lot of money to run an ABL program - money that largely comes from junior fees. Whatever it takes to save some of the money is worth having a look at.

Reply #484789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clubs should pay coaches 15k to lose more games than they win then they wouldn't lose money

Reply #484795 | Report this post

Smokin Jo  
Years ago

How can clubs be losing money through abl? The competition is that sub standard no club should be losing money from this competition!

If they are struggling they need to remove whoever who is making the decisions to pay the players and coaches.

Juniors on Saturday night...get a grip!

Send the state league to a week night...the only people that watch it are parents and the odd try hard! It's no longer a comp that juniors can learn from!

Reply #484798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The costs are training court hire, uniforms, referees, game court hire, etc.

Reply #484804 | Report this post

I  
Years ago

would fill the stands - playing rivalry round on a friday night, bar and canteen would do well. People would hang around a bit as well.

just a once of during the season - give the juniors a chance to identify with senior players.

creates more talk, interest in CABL

Reply #484807 | Report this post

Born in East LA  
Years ago

Snokin Jo - as an ex-treasurer of a club I'll put some background behind it for you. Ask someone at your club to tell you roughly what they take on ABL nights. Then multiply that by 9 as that is how many home games your club has each year.

Now consider the costs of training venues, two uniforms (home strip and away strip), warm-up gear, venue hire for game night, player payments, and coach payments (AFAIK coach payments in CABL range from $0 to around $10k).

Trust me, no club is coming out in front after all that.

Your last paragraph is spot on. The ABL has become a joke.

Reply #484830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whilst I can see that you've given this a lot of thought, with respect it's never going to work. people no longer care about ABL because of the low standard. If you really think your idea would fill the stands you must be from a club with a very small stadium.

Reply #484832 | Report this post

Smokin Jo  
Years ago

Born in east la...this is the problem...no coach should be getting paid 10k to coach in the league. Whoever is making those decisions needs to take a good hard look at themselves! Like any business...if your product doesn't make a profit do you stick with it???

Reply #484836 | Report this post

Born in East LA  
Years ago

Smokin Jo, I agree. $10k to coach in a sub-standard league like CABL is ridiculous and not necessary.

As you've suggested, move senior games back to the Arena on a Tuesday or Wednesday night instead of making ourselves look silly pretending to be up there with the big leagues.

Reply #484838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Born in East LA - The fees at the Arena are massive !!!!!

Reply #484854 | Report this post

Born in East LA  
Years ago

Anonymous, I'm well aware of that. I think you've missed the point. Clubs wouldn't use the Arena to host home and away games...all or at least most games would be played there. Run two courts, one for men's and one for women's, and you'd get through six games in total on one week night. have the other two at Pas or Hillcrest or wherever.

The Arena is used for YL games so why not for senior Div 1 men?

Reply #484872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again because it is expensive and no one would come and sit all night to watch it. Most are only interested in their club and won't travel that far each week to watch a game...

Reply #484875 | Report this post

Born in East LA  
Years ago

875, so why use it for YL then? It's exactly the same issues surely.

You're trying to hang onto something that doesn't exist and to be quite honest your thoughts seem quite naive. The CABL is not interesting enough nor of a suitable standard to justify the way it's done now. Club's juniors are paying fees that in part prop up an ABL team. This is in part why a club like Magic can promote the fact that their fees are low. they are the only district club whose juniors are not propping up an ABL program.

Each to their own though, and if you're one of the ever dwindling few who still think ABL is relevant then good luck with it.

Reply #484878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if you want to scrap ABL what happens when you get to 22 and can't play juniors or YL? Just hang up the boots? Be some good social games!!

Southern have basically paid 2.5k per win in there men's team the last 2 seasons!

It won't matter when it's played, put a good product on the floor people will come watch. coaches demanding big money, players chasing the dollars and clubs wasting money on them need to change! Focus on juniors and one day you might get a good ABL team and make some cash out of it

Reply #484883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2.5k per win for coaches salary, just to clarify

Reply #484884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clubs continue to make bad decisions on their senior coaching appointments. Why would you pay someone to coach at that level who has never coach before? Serves them right. There are a number of coaches who are just cashing in checks...

Reply #484892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cheques

Reply #484909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cheques

Reply #484910 | Report this post

What the?  
Years ago

Reply #484937 | Report this post

Born in East LA  
Years ago

883, who said anything about scrapping it? Please don't just make stuff up. What we are saying is that the product as it is does not work because nobody cares. Put them back in the one stadium on one night of the week the same as we do for Youth League.

There is not enough interest in the league for these stand alone games as they are extremely unprofitable.

Reply #484942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Born in East LA and Co.

Put them on during the week and none of the club members and in particular juniors will ever see them play. That's what happened, everyone is only remembering what they want to remember. Crowds were under 100 for the night.

Running Home and Away hasn't changed what clubs spend. In fact most if not all clubs spend LESS now on player salaries then they did prior to moving to Home and Away on weekends.
Home games across the League don't lose money. All costs would remain except for the cost of hiring a court at Starplex, Barker, St Clair and MARS which is shared by all the Clubs. Cost to hire the Arena for the same amount of games would probably be higher in fact, and BSA won't pay for something they don't pay for now.

And then where do you play Youth League and/or Div 3 and below seniors if you're taking the Arena and potentially another venue out of action? We don't have the court space.

Running two courts at the Arena would create zero atmosphere as the few that attend would be lost in a venue that size, don't believe me, asking the Lightning players and they get even more than would attend State League at 10pm on a Tuesday or Wednesday night.

No other league in Australia runs midweek. There's a reason for that.

You guys who support this are just plain wrong. That's not the issue with the League.

Reply #484954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Running home and away hasn't changed what clubs spend".

You lost all your credibility right there. Obviously you either play or coach ABL and are desperately trying to hang onto some fantasy about what it is. It was good while it lasted, but it's time to let it go now.

Reply #484955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

955 obviously you didnt play or have anything to do with a State League team in the 80s or 90s because 15k across two teams is less than most clubs paid one import.

Reply #484956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

956, $15k on two teams?! You are the most naïve poster ever here. Yes the salary cap is that amount, but if you think the big clubs are enforcing it then there's a Nigerian prince wishing to speak to you. You'd believe anything obviously.

Add on anywhere from $0 to $20k for two coaches, plus all the extra money that goes into players pockets that never gets declared, and you're talking way more dollars than can be justified in this league.

Juniors should not have to prop this league up so guys like you can live out your fantasy and pretend you're in the big league, but hey, good luck with it champ.

Reply #484957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Many clubs would take offence to that. Yes it doesn't include coach payments but many are staying under the cap and for the very reason you explained.

The spending of the past far outweighs what happens now, just check out the depth of the rosters back then.

Like I said people only remember what they want, if they were even there to see it in the first place.

Reply #484961 | Report this post

Mattress  
Years ago

#961 and #955
I was coaching in the 90's.
I also was well involved at committee level, I can honestly tell you that the player payments in 1992 were 35k with the whole mens program costing around 70k!!

Currently the CABL team I coach is paying around 9k plus training costs, tape uniforms etc of around 15k.

Current program costs around 25k per team.

Stadiums stay empty on Saturday nights , nothing will replace CABL games, the courts will lay vacant. That was the original benefit to BASA as they picked up 2 extra days of revenue, with the State League (Bank SA League) moving to the weekends.
961 is pretty accurate in his description from my experience.

Reply #484971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks simon!

Reply #484972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not every team is paying players that much money!!! I can assure you of that!

Reply #484974 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:30 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754